ADVERTISEMENT

Reintroducing top 5 dramatic series

While laid up from knee surgery, I checked out Netflix Formula 1 - Drive to survive.

A great look behind the scenes into formula 1 racing. It will also bring you up to speed on all the teams, drivers, how the competition works, some back stabbing and drama, etc.. The technology of course is amazing. This one series has doubled the interest in F1 in 5 years.

If you have any interest at all, and just want to check out one episode, go to season 3 episode 9, "Man on Fire". By far the best episode of the whole series. Wow!!! If that hooks you in like it did me, start the series fresh at season 1 ep 1 and have at it. It's really good.
Haven’t seen it yet, but I’m guessing Man on Fire is about Nikki Lauda. Right or wrong?

Haven’t seen it yet, but I’m guessing Man on Fire is about Nikki Lauda. Right or wrong?
Wrong. The series is current day, released at the end of every season, so season 3 was from racing 2 years ago. There are a couple of great plot lines in that show, but I don't want to spoil it. Season 6 should come out this fall. We are currently about 1/3 of the way through the 2023 F1 racing schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgSurfer
Tonight they are in Napa where the vineyard owner's daughter is being passed over by Dad in favor of the interloper/investor. I bet they fall in love and run the vineyard together, but I'm not staying up to find out.

GF-Preview-image.gif

tumblr_pr5ipu2CAw1qb77hzo2_540.gif

Last edited:
In honor of a solid drama’s next season dropping today, a few last gasps on this dying thread. First, I was unexpectedly fond of Wednesday. The sarcastic/sardonic wit of the stoic Addams girl was too much fun. And for legal eagles who thought season 1 of Lincoln Lawyer was strong (damn if it didn’t rekindle my crush on Neve C), season 2 is here.

Bumping to recommend The Bear, which I see others have already mentioned. Amazingly well-done show on so many levels. Episodes 6 and 7 of the second season are in the most memorable TV episodes ever made category. I've never worked in food so I trust others to vouch for its realism, but I love how it discusses creativity and why some people are compelled to make art. More specifically, in Eps 2.6 and 2.7 they answer that question via a fork, which can be used for violence or order.

Finishing Season 1 of Succession. It’s been a slog but there’s usually a scene or 2 each episode that keeps me coming back. The toughest thing is that almost every character is the worst person on earth - just ****ing pond scum. I’m left rooting for an EMP attack that sends us technologically back to the 1840s - all these useless jag offs would either be someone’s gimp or toiling in salt mines

Finishing Season 1 of Succession. It’s been a slog but there’s usually a scene or 2 each episode that keeps me coming back. The toughest thing is that almost every character is the worst person on earth - just ****ing pond scum. I’m left rooting for an EMP attack that sends us technologically back to the 1840s - all these useless jag offs would either be someone’s gimp or toiling in salt mines
Yes, everyone's horrible on Succession, but I'm okay with that because the show's editorial viewpoint doesn't excuse them or implicitly argue that they're really okay. Indeed, it routinely condemns their entire insular worlds, and that view more or less aligns with my own.

I thought Luther was a great show and a movie continuing the story is out now on Hulu I believe. Idris Elba is incredible in most things but I especially love him as John Luther

We are truly still in a golden era of TV. Some shows that are on the newer side, don’t make the top 5 all-time but are all outstanding television include:
Barry
The Bear
Reservation Dogs
What We Do in the Shadows
Succession
Ramy

We are truly still in a golden era of TV. Some shows that are on the newer side, don’t make the top 5 all-time but are all outstanding television include:
Barry
The Bear
Reservation Dogs
What We Do in the Shadows
Succession
Ramy

Absolutely love What We Do in the Shadows. Energy vampires are real!

Reactions: NittanyChris
S2 is the peak.

• Love
Reactions: vhsalum
Someone did a poll of funniest male sitcom stars a couple days ago and sure enough Chandler was #2 behind Steve Carrell.

I didnt even consider Chandler the funniest guy on that SHOW. Hahaha

Someone did a poll of funniest male sitcom stars a couple days ago and sure enough Chandler was #2 behind Steve Carrell.

I didnt even consider Chandler the funniest guy on that SHOW. Hahaha
Carell is a national treasure in just about everything he does. Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis are up there. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler too. I'd like to see more Kenan Thompson. Maybe throw John Cryer in there. I don't get the comedy of Pete Davidson at all.

But the notion of sitcoms is on life support. it seems the major networks are scared to death of them not bing PC.

S2 is the peak.
Let's talk about the show that is now on my Mount Rushmore (bumping out the wire)

No bad seasons - and yes, objectively, the single greatest collection of POSs to grace the screen. Not a single, solitary redeeming character trait in the group of them.

So, this appears to be a given. So what does the B1G and NCAA do?

My suggestion would be to bar UM from any post-season games (B1G or NCAA Sanctioned) and put Harbaugh on leave until the entirety of the situation is learned. I'd let the kids play as they have a lot to lose, as does the B1G in terms of $$$. I still want to play UM in Happy Valley week after next. You'd probably have to let the DC go as well.
dude. No.

not here.

Let's talk about the show that is now on my Mount Rushmore (bumping out the wire)

No bad seasons - and yes, objectively, the single greatest collection of POSs to grace the screen. Not a single, solitary redeeming character trait in the group of them.
I thought the final season was one of the best seasons of TV ever, for sure. Overall, perhaps deserving of Mt Rushmore, but I just watched The Wire for the 4th time, and maybe its just sentimentality, but nothing is going to budge it off my mountain any time soon (Season 4 is also one of the best seasons of TV ever, IMO).

I thought the final season was one of the best seasons of TV ever, for sure. Overall, perhaps deserving of Mt Rushmore, but I just watched The Wire for the 4th time, and maybe its just sentimentality, but nothing is going to budge it off my mountain any time soon (Season 4 is also one of the best seasons of TV ever, IMO).

The only reason I bump The Wire it is it has 1 bad season, and 1 ok season (season 2 bad, season 5 eh).

Succession had no bad seasons.

Reactions: nerfstate
The only reason I bump The Wire it is it has 1 bad season, and 1 ok season (season 2 bad, season 5 eh).

Succession had no bad seasons.
I agree Succession was more consistently good, but Wire season 2 has grown on me every time I watch it. I'd rank the seasons 4, 1, 2, 3, 5. 5 is gawdawful in many ways though.

I agree Succession was more consistently good, but Wire season 2 has grown on me every time I watch it. I'd rank the seasons 4, 1, 2, 3, 5. 5 is gawdawful in many ways though.
MANY.

The "jimmy the heroin addict" reimagining was TRASH. McNaulty faking a serial killer? A journalist taking the bait? Just yuck.

Reactions: nerfstate
The lead actor in Joe Pickett was the lead actor in The Patriot. One of my all time favorite streaming series.
I liked Joe Pickett also, but just read a day or two ago that it has not been renewed for another season.

While I loved Succession, it never reached the epic heights of The Wire. Yes, season 5 was a misstep, but it doesn’t take away from the brilliance of the entire show that much. My top 3 in any order you’d like remain Breaking Bad, The Wire, and The Sopranos.

While I loved Succession, it never reached the epic heights of The Wire. Yes, season 5 was a misstep, but it doesn’t take away from the brilliance of the entire show that much. My top 3 in any order you’d like remain Breaking Bad, The Wire, and The Sopranos.
what's your #4?

I would never argue that Season 5 of The Wire is great, but I really enjoy that season if for no other reason than seeing a completely off-the-rails Jimmy McNulty.

I would never argue that Season 5 of The Wire is great, but I really enjoy that season if for no other reason than seeing a completely off-the-rails Jimmy McNulty.
The scene where he shows his badge to patrol while "entertaining" that lady on the hood of the car is pretty rich, I'll give you that. But mostly I just feel bad for Beadie.

And @NittanyChris I'm right there with you. Can't give the Wire's slot on my mountain to anybody. I've watched no other show all the way through more than twice, and my 4th rewatch of this show was my favorite yet. Virtually all of the characters feel like my friends.
I don't have the Sopranos up there--I acknowledge how ground breaking it was, but personally, found it harder to connect to, and actually preferred Mad Men.

The scene where he shows his badge to patrol while "entertaining" that lady on the hood of the car is pretty rich.

And @NittanyChris I'm right there with you. Can't give the Wire's slot on my mountain to anybody. I've watched no other show all the way through more than twice, and my 4th rewatch of this show was my favorite yet. Virtually all of the characters feel like my friends.
I don't have the Sopranos up there--I acknowledge how ground breaking it was, but personally, found it harder to connect to, and actually preferred Mad Men.
My favorite scenes of that season are the one with the FBI Behavioral Science guy (who basically describes McNulty when discussing the supposed serial killer) and when McNulty tells off Scott Templeton. Least favorite part of the whole season is what they did with Omar. They should have just let the end of Season 4 be the end of his story line.

what's your #4?
#4 is a very tough call for me. At the risk of copping out there are several in the running including Better Call Saul, ER, Deadwood, Hill Street Blues and Band of Brothers. I kind of think Deadwood is incredibly under appreciated. A real, original masterpiece.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT