ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: James Franklin & staff set to hit the road for bye week (UPDATED: Friday 10:45 AM)

Ryan Snyder/BWI Staff

Aug 11, 2010
James Franklin left State College last night to fly south. I know he'll see games the next three days.

Currently, I have today's schedule pretty much confirmed. I still have to work on the schedule for tomorrow and Saturday, but here's where I stand for Thursday.

Thursday

- James Franklin flew to Florida last night with John Scott, Joe Lorig and Ja'Juan Seider. Scott was dropped off in Atlanta.

- Joe Lorig is responsible for the Orlando Area and the "Space Coast," while Seider is primarily responsible for South Florida. I need to do some digging on who all Lorig plans to see, but I don't believe it will be Zane Durant. I expect John Scott to see Durant play his game tomorrow night.

- I expect Franklin and at least one of the assistants to join him at Trinity Christian Academy today to see Cam Miller. They're also planning to hit up IMG Academy in Bradenton before flying down to South Florida. RB Kaytron Allen, DE Cam Lenhardt, LB Jordan Hall, OL Knijeah Harris, DT Will Norman and DL Justin Benton are all notable names at IMG. All of those guys except Norman have been to Penn State at some point.

I know Franklin plans to stop by American Heritage in Broward County, and I would expect maybe one or two other schools while he's in the area. American Heritage is stacked with top prospects like 2023 WR Santana Fleming, RB Mark Fletcher, Saf. Daemon Fagan and CB Damari Brown. All four hold an offer from PSU, among others.

UPDATE: Oct. 14 - 9:30 PM - Penn State stopped by Lehigh Acres to check up on 2023 RB Richard Young.

- Seider will stay in South Florida tonight and tomorrow, while Franklin is expected to fly back north to Pittsburgh tonight. He'll attend the Brashear vs. Taylor Allardice game tonight. 2023 LB Ta'Mere Robinson is the player to focus on there. Terry Smith should also be in attendance. I expect Franklin and Terry to stay in Pittsburgh then to check up on a bunch of prospects in Western Pa tomorrow, but I still need to learn specifics there.

- WR coach Taylor Stubblefield is down in Texas this morning to see both of Penn State's committed players, WR Omari Evans and Ath. Cristian Driver. Stubblefield will then head over to Louisiana to watch CB Jordan Allen and Lafayette Christian Academy face Notre Dame this evening. I believe he's also going to check up on 2023 WR Shelton Sampson from Baton Rouge while in the state.

- I was told that OL coach Phil Trautwein is planning to be in Ohio today to check in on 2022 four-star OL prospect Aamil Wagner.

UPDATE: Oct. 14 - 9:30 PM - Trautwein also stopped by Findlay in Ohio to check up on 2023 OL Luke Montgomery.

- I expect both Ty Howle and Anthony Poindexter to be in the DMV today.

UPDATE: Oct. 14 - 9:30 PM

The schools I confirmed in the DMV for Thursday: Friendship, Archbishop Carroll and St. John's College High.

2024 DE Dylan Stewart is the top prospect to note at Friendship Collegiate Academy. 2023 Ath. Nykoles Harbor & DE Joseph Mupoyi are the top prospects at Carroll. 2023 prospects David Ojiegbe, Zahbari Sandy, Collin Gill and 2024 OL Jordan Seaton are the top prospects at St. John's.

- Defensive line coach John Scott Jr. is expected to be in Atlanta today. I would expect him to stop by Milton to see five-star DE Lebbeus Overton. RB Justice Hayes from Blessed Trinity would also make sense, but again, I need to try and confirm some specifics there still.

Friday & Saturday

- As I noted yesterday, James Franklin is expected to be in Pittsburgh today with Terry Smith. I expect him to check up on Rodney Gallagher and Lamont Payne. I would assume a few other schools, too. Still working to confirm others. I believe Tyreese Fearbry will be one of them. PSU still hasn't completely given up there. They saw Ta'Mere Robinson last night.

Franklin will then go to Ohio tonight to watch Drew Allar. Mike Yurcich will join him there. As for Smith, he's expected to attend Rodney Gallagher's game against McKeesport tonight.

- I learned that Brent Pry was also in Pittsburgh yesterday to stop by Brashear to see Robinson. Pry will be stopping by Pennridge today to see Phil Picciotti. Pry is then expected to be in Harrisburg to stop by a few schools. I know Bishop McDevitt and Central Dauphin will be two of them. McDevitt has a few notable players, including Marquese Williams, Gabe Arena and Stone Saunders.

One other interesting stop that he may take is to Shippensburg to see 2022 DT and Minnesota commit Anthony Smith. Smith tested well at Penn State's camp this summer, and they've been intrigued ever since. I'm told Pry will attend that Shippensburg game tonight. I'll be keeping an eye on Smith in the coming weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes up and visits. Penn State doesn't have much room, but they don't like in-state guys leaving the state if they think he can play at this level. We'll talk about him more in the coming weeks.

- Ja'Juan Seider will be stopping at a ton of schools in South Florida. Just search Penn State's offers database for Florida and that's likely where he'll be. There are just a ton of players down there. He'll be there all weekend.

- Taylor Stubblefield will travel from Louisiana to North Carolina. He'll see players like Noah Rogers, Daylan Smothers, Christian Hamilton. He'll attend Tyler Johnson's game this evening. I also confirmed that Stubblefield will attend WR Andre Greene's game on Saturday.

- Ty Howle is expected to be in Illinois today seeing a few schools in and around Chicago. The plan was to attend Jerry Cross' game tonight. I need to learn more on which schools he's seeing in Illinois. I reached out to some coaches in that area. Howle will then come back to the DMV Saturday to attend the Good Counsel vs. Gonzaga game with Franklin. OL Evan Link, TE Neeo Avery, DE Dylan Gooden and OL Kyle Altuner will all play in that one. I believe they'll also attend DeMatha vs. Bishop McNamara, too.

- Phil Trautwein is headed over to New York/New Jersey today. I know he'll see Maleek McNeil, although I believe he's going to attend games in North Jersey tonight. That's one of his prime recruiting areas. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Don Bosco Prep vs. DePaul to see Chase Bisontis, but I need to double-check on that. I expect him to also attend Bergen Catholic vs. St. Joseph Regional tomorrow, and potentially Irvington's game against Ridgewood. Penn State hasn't given up on Adon Shuler.

- John Scott Jr. hit up a ton of schools in Atlanta yesterday. He actually attended that North Gwinnett vs. Collins Hill game on ESPN last night. Penn State has offered 2023 WR Ethan Davis. I believe Scott will still be in Atlanta a bit this morning, but I know he's expected to attend Zane Durant's game in Orlando this evening.

- Speaking of Atlanta, Joe Lorig will watch K Alex Bacchetta tonight.

- As Franklin explained this week, Anthony Poindexter will be recognized at Virginia Saturday for his induction into the College Football Hall of Fame, but he will be out on the road recruiting today in the DMV. Two stops I expect from him are Archbishop Spalding and Wise.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News