ADVERTISEMENT

Recommendations for Charleston and Myrtle Beach area

Phishin'

Aug 25, 2001
I will be in Charleston with my family during Thanksgiving week. I need restaurant recommendations. Both family type and upscale places. Not looking for chains or touristy places. We're staying south of Broad St. in Charleston, near the battey. Walking distance to Church St. would be good. Off the beaten path is fine. Also, where is a good place to watch the Nebraska game in Charleston? We won't be eating Thanksgiving dinner out, just looking for recommendations for the other days. Thanks much.

I will be in Charleston with my family during Thanksgiving week. I need restaurant recommendations. Both family type and upscale places. Not looking for chains or touristy places. We're staying south of Broad St. in Charleston, near the battey. Walking distance to Church St. would be good. Off the beaten path is fine. Also, where is a good place to watch the Nebraska game in Charleston? We won't be eating Thanksgiving dinner out, just looking for recommendations for the other days. Thanks much.
Try Burwell's Stonefire Grill, on Market above E Bay Street. Great aged steaks.

In Charleston you almost can’t go wrong. Hall’s Steakhouse is spectacular. The food and service is top notch. Amazing steaks and their bread pudding might be the best thing I have ever eaten! For bbq I liked Rodney Scott’s BBQ.

Hominy Grill or Callie's Hot Little Biscuit for breakfast. You can't go wrong with S.N.O.B, Fig or Magnolias for more upscale.. I like Coast for seafood downtown. If you can get reservations, Husk is great. Avoid Hank's, Hymans and Fleet Landing, all tourist traps, imo. If you're after steaks, Hall's Chophouse is the best, reservations may be tough to get though and it will hurt your wallet. Smoke or Lewis for BBQ.

For dinner - Husk or FIG are great! Possibly the best Bloody I have ever had was at McCrady's - food is pretty good but not Husk or FIG so if you have to wait you could head there for a cocktail before dinner.

In Charleston, the Tattooed Moose has AMAZING duck club sandwiches, and duck fat fries. Fuel has an amazing Caribbean Jerk Chicken sandwich. Both places have been featured on Food Network's Diner's Drive-In's and Dives. If you are in Myrtle Beach, you HAVE to stop at the Kitchen Table. Great food, Great Service, and the owner's are FANTASTIC Penn State folks!

Reactions: palmettolion
Just went to Charleston 2 weeks ago. Hall's Chophouse was fantastic. But you better call now for reservations. Also went to Magnolias for fried chicken and it was great. Also agree to avoid fleet landing. I wasn't impressed.

Charleston is great, Myrtle beach not so much.

My favorites in Charleston are the Hominy Grill, and Poe's (for a great burger). If you are into craft beer, hit up Westbrook.

Reactions: palmettolion
Thank you all for the great recommendations. Calling for reservations today. This board never disappoints.

Last edited:
Charleston is great, Myrtle beach not so much.

My favorites in Charleston are the Hominy Grill, and Poe's (for a great burger). If you are into craft beer, hit up Westbrook.

Westbrook, great beer, nicest brewery...douchiest, most pretentious people. What the other top breweries (Coast, Holy City) in town slightly lack in quality compared to Westbrook, they make up for in hospitality/atmosphere. If you are into craft beer and good food, you need to make Edmunds Oast your top priority the next time you're in Charleston.

Also, I'll second Uncle Roy's rec on The Tattooed Moose's duck club and fries. Worth making a stop for anyone coming to Charleston.

Reactions: pandaczar12
We will be in Charleston for most of the week. Passing through Myrtle Beach on the way home just for a day.
I would keep on driving through Myrtle Beach and find someplace better north or south to stop - plenty of better choices. I can assure you that if you like Charleston, MB won't do much for you.

A couple more robberies in the next few weeks and they'll have a spot in the final 4 "locked up" - like much of their citizens.

https://www.safewise.com/blog/most-dangerous-cities/

Reactions: pandaczar12
If you're willing to travel off the peninsula (easy, 10 minute drive to each place) I've got a few

Pages Okra Grill- best shrimp and grits I've had (better than Hominy)
Red's at Shem Creek- sports bar on the creek, great views and vibe
Glass Onion- best fried green tomatoes in town, great service

Check out Carolina Ale House for the game, a small contingent of PSU fans each week

Enjoy!

We will be in Charleston for most of the week. Passing through Myrtle Beach on the way home just for a day.
Well stop in the kitchen table for breakfast or lunch and visit in north Myrtle beach on your way home. Across from barefoot landing .

Another vote for Halls Chophouse. Great steaks and varied menu. Very friendly staff.

I would keep on driving through Myrtle Beach and find someplace better north or south to stop - plenty of better choices. I can assure you that if you like Charleston, MB won't do much for you.

A couple more robberies in the next few weeks and they'll have a spot in the final 4 "locked up" - like much of their citizens.

https://www.safewise.com/blog/most-dangerous-cities/

Savannah is a pretty nice place to spend an afternoon.

Thanks again everyone. Yeah, the Myrtle Beach side trip is mostly to see friends who recently moved to the area. We are heading back to Delaware after that. We will try to stop at the Kitchen Table to see some fellow alumni. That part of the trip is up in the air right now. We haven't decided where to stay on Wedensday night. Maybe Wilmington, NC

About the only bright spot in the myrtle area is New South brewing. They have a beer call dirty myrtle, a double IPA, that is out of this world.

The Alumni Bar is D. D. Peckers in West Ashley. Fun place to watch the game and good grub. Places to eat: Fleet Landing, Pooghans Porch, Tadood Moose , Hyman's Seafood, Paige's Ocra Grill in Mt. Pleasant. Number of good places to eat at Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant. High end place to eat would be Chop House.

I will second Husk, FIG and Hall's in that order. I was in Charleston in October (and several other times) and got fried chicken and the country fried steak and they were both incredible (lunch menu). For something more casual or for lunch I really liked Minero. It is run by Sean Brock, the same chef who is responsible for Husk and McCrady's and he does an awesome job with everything he does. It is a mexican joint with the best tacos and margaritas around. Home team BBQ is an option for the PSU game. It has a ton of tvs and is a UGA watching spot but still had a tv reserved for the PSU game when I was there.

As for a brewery, my personal favorite is Revelry. It has most relaxed atmosphere of all of the breweries in town, really good beer and an amazing roof deck that is awesome at night. Westbrook has great beer but I thought the brewery itself was eh. Frothy Beard brewing has a huge selection and was a fun spot. Have an awesome time. My favorite food and drink city by a mile.

Westbrook is kinda out there, and it's not a fantastic atmosphere, but the beer is hard to beat. They have a cellar list that is out of this world... It's a bit pricey though. But that's what keeps such amazing beers in stock. The 2016 Barrel Aged Mexican Cake Reserva is amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT