ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Snow birdie thoughts and/or recommendations for Myrtle Beach or Florida?

saturdaysarebetter2

Nov 18, 2022
I have recently retired (THANK YOU GOD!) and thinking about doing my first test trial of a one-month snow birdie thing and was thinking either Myrtle Beach or Florida. Most likely either January or February to get away from a Pennsylvania winter although last year was the mildest winter I can remember in terms of cold temperatures (other than around Christmas) and snowfall. I know every winter isn't going to be as mild as last year though. Any thoughts and recommendations on doing the snow-birdie thing to either Myrtle Beach or Florida?

Quite a few years ago, I had an elderly neighbor couple that always went to Myrtle Beach and stayed in a hotel. They loved it. He golfed and she said they had maid service and plenty of things to see and do and it wasn't that far of a drive away from home.

Thank you in advance. Any and all advice is appreciated.

I have recently retired (THANK YOU GOD!) and thinking about doing my first test trial of a one-month snow birdie thing and was thinking either Myrtle Beach or Florida. Most likely either January or February to get away from a Pennsylvania winter although last year was the mildest winter I can remember in terms of cold temperatures (other than around Christmas) and snowfall. I know every winter isn't going to be as mild as last year though. Any thoughts and recommendations on doing the snow-birdie thing to either Myrtle Beach or Florida?

Quite a few years ago, I had an elderly neighbor couple that always went to Myrtle Beach and stayed in a hotel. They loved it. He golfed and she said they had maid service and plenty of things to see and do and it wasn't that far of a drive away from home.

We retired to FL, tried East Coast, Ft. Lauderdale. stayed one year, too crowded would have returned to the snow and PHL, except we knew someone in the Naples area, we visited and have been here 12 years. South Ft. Myers, Estero, Bonita Springs all nice communities with Florida weather except for the occasional hurricane, you get accustomed. Beware of Ft. Myers and North Ft. Myers. As you move further south to the mentioned communities plenty of golf, shopping, restaurants. Continuing south along the coast as you approach Naples, housing becomes more expensive. We have been happy here.

Reactions: john4psu

Anywhere near Tampa st Pete’s is the best. Great weather, good and lots to do

All of our Carolina friends (both North and South) call it "Dirty Myrtle." However we had a great stay in North Myrtle with our kids maybe 8 years ago.

I would imagine the weather would be pretty different between South Florida and Northern South Carolina- but the costs and Supply vs Demand probably favor Myrtle.

Maybe try both one this year and one next? My mother in law had a place on Marco Island and loved it (until her 3rd divorce took that condo with it).

In any case- enjoy!

Reactions: john4psu
If you want beach weather, for Jan/Feb, need to be mid/south Florida. Myrtle can be cold in Jan....not like PA, but not pool/beach weather. Unless you need 100 golf courses, Charleston (Kiawah, Sullivan's Island) or Savannah (Tybee) can be nice too.

January in Myrtle Beach area is iffy -- weather can be bad and a good number of businesses are closed.

Lots of good things to say about Amelia Island in the Northern part of Florida on the Atlantic. Fernandina Beach is a neat town.

So many different destinations in Florida and even Myrtle Beach has a lot of variety good and bad, from the NC/SC border South to Pawleys Island. You'll need to do some traveling and research to narrow your focus.

I am not retired but my mother is and lots of my work colleagues spend a lot of time in FL. If you are looking at January and February, I would look from Ft. Myers south as mentioned (North Naples/Bonita area has nice access to things), while the areas closer to Tampa can still be a bit cool (50s and 60s) in Jan/Feb if you want consistent pool weather. If you just want sunshine and outdoor weather, then I think all of FL would be suitable. I cannot speak for the Atlantic side much, but I would assume similar latitude areas would have similar weather.

I am not retired but my mother is and lots of my work colleagues spend a lot of time in FL. If you are looking at January and February, I would look from Ft. Myers south as mentioned (North Naples/Bonita area has nice access to things), while the areas closer to Tampa can still be a bit cool (50s and 60s) in Jan/Feb if you want consistent pool weather. If you just want sunshine and outdoor weather, then I think all of FL would be suitable. I cannot speak for the Atlantic side much, but I would assume similar latitude areas would have similar weather.
Pan handle can be quite cold in mid winter., We would go Grayton Beach every year around New Years and weather can vary from shorts and t shirt to heavy coat/ sweatshirt. Not really pool or beach swim weather.

After 42 years here in State College, retired as Dentist, leaving end of month to Sun City , Bluffton , South Carolina. Shout out to any fans in the HHI area. Understand winters there will require warmer clothes but honestly, will not miss snow at all.

I am not a fan of MB. Plus, as others have said, the weather is iffy at that time of year. Later, like March or April, is better.

I honestly like Key West. There isn't a lot if you are a golfer but the weather is nicer, consistent, and fishing is phenomenal. Key West has a ton of great restaurants and downtown is "interesting". I am not a huge city but you can rent in or near the city. There is a nice Marriott that has long term condos on the other side not far from the airport. I tend to go outside the city and then do the city a couple of times. I really liked renting a home in the Marathon area. I like a place named Key Colony Beach. It is about an hour drive from Key West. Many of the rentals have access to the Beach Club which is a nice pool on the beach so you can hang at the pool, sipping drinks and having a burger or walk out to the white sand beach. There are a lot of good places to eat and fishing charters nearby.

the key west airport is cool too. It is open air and has a feel of the Carribean. it is small but most of the major airlines fly into it.

I have friends that prefer Islamorada or Key Largo but I've never been there other than to drive through.

Flying into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale can be an issue if you get in on Saturday when the rentals turn over. The traffic can be a nightmare.

I am not a fan of MB. Plus, as others have said, the weather is iffy at that time of year. Later, like March or April, is better.

I honestly like Key West. There isn't a lot if you are a golfer but the weather is nicer, consistent, and fishing is phenomenal. Key West has a ton of great restaurants and downtown is "interesting". I am not a huge city but you can rent in or near the city. There is a nice Marriott that has long term condos on the other side not far from the airport. I tend to go outside the city and then do the city a couple of times. I really liked renting a home in the Marathon area. I like a place named Key Colony Beach. It is about an hour drive from Key West. Many of the rentals have access to the Beach Club which is a nice pool on the beach so you can hang at the pool, sipping drinks and having a burger or walk out to the white sand beach. There are a lot of good places to eat and fishing charters nearby.

the key west airport is cool too. It is open air and has a feel of the Carribean. it is small but most of the major airlines fly into it.

I have friends that prefer Islamorada or Key Largo but I've never been there other than to drive through.

Flying into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale can be an issue if you get in on Saturday when the rentals turn over. The traffic can be a nightmare.
Key West is a place to visit on a short vacation, after a few days you can become bored. Interesting, from the Ft. Myers South area down to Naples you can take a shuttle hi-speed ferry to Key West, leaves 8:00 AM arrives 12:00 PM, returns from Key West to Ft. Myers 6:00 PM. We tend to take the ferry and visit Key West for a few days, Key West is interesting, again, though for a few days. Can't imagine living there.

Key West is a place to visit on a short vacation, after a few days you can become bored. Interesting, from the Ft. Myers South area down to Naples you can take a shuttle hi-speed ferry to Key West, leaves 8:00 AM arrives 12:00 PM, returns from Key West to Ft. Myers 6:00 PM. We tend to take the ferry and visit Key West for a few days, Key West is interesting, again, though for a few days. Can't imagine living there.
I don't really agree. Other than golf, there is nothing that can't be done in Key West than Naples. The decision is if you want to participate in the Key West City craziness. I am not a party person but I love the places to eat and cheap shopping. But, as I said, I typically go in once or twice in a week. There are several cool places like Blue Heaven, Earnest Hemmingway's house, and the Fort Zachary tour. But dinner cruises and snorkeling excursions are fun.

I've got friends who love key west, they go out every night and bar hop. its not my thing but they LOVE it. They meet people every night and "flip flop dance". Not my cup of tea.

I don't really agree. Other than golf, there is nothing that can't be done in Key West than Naples. The decision is if you want to participate in the Key West City craziness. I am not a party person but I love the places to eat and cheap shopping. But, as I said, I typically go in once or twice in a week. There are several cool places like Blue Heaven, Earnest Hemmingway's house, and the Fort Zachary tour. But dinner cruises and snorkeling excursions are fun.

I've got friends who love key west, they go out every night and bar hop. its not my thing but they LOVE it. They meet people every night and "flip flop dance". Not my cup of tea.
Many more things to do in Ft. Myers to Naples, this includes shopping, restaurants, golf, tours and you can conveniently visit Key West by Ferry shuttle when you wish. Key West is a tourist spot, I just don't see it as a permanent residence.

Reactions: NJPSU
Many more things to do in Ft. Myers to Naples, this includes shopping, restaurants, golf, tours and you can conveniently visit Key West by Ferry shuttle when you wish. Key West is a tourist spot, I just don't see it as a permanent residence.
Again, I don't agree (with the exception of golf). If you use Key West as a "tourist spot" then that is what it is. There is a lot to do there and it is beautiful. But if you only have a half day, hang at the cheap t-shirt shops and bar hop that is what your impression will be.

They have excellent restaurants, beautiful beach dining, great fishing, and lots to tour. But a lot is personal preference. Key West can be a bit much, especially on new year eve evening. But I like the energy.

Sarasota area. Only a few days last winter that were not pool worthy. Only used the gas pool heater two or three times for a couple hours each time. Solar heater keeps it at 90 degrees plus.

I retired in 2000 and stayed in Ct. for the first four years until I had an epiphany of sorts while ice fishing on a local lake during a heavy snow fall. So the next year we took a road trip down the east coast starting at the DelMarVa peninsula hitting every coastal town and small city all the way to Florida and did both coasts and then back north again.
The first winter after the road trip we spent the month of February in Beaufort, S.C. which is a nice combination of lots of open space along with a nice smaller town. Hilton Head is to the south over the Broad River. We liked it but it was cooler and my wife wanted to try Florida. We settled on New Smyrna Beach on the east coast just below Daytona Beach. If you are beach side with a northeast wind it can be colder than you want but you can also have days in the low 80s.
I like the east coast because I like the ocean over the Gulf. I find it also less crowded and Daytona on the north and the Kennedy Space Center to the south along the coast with the Disney complex in Orlando gives you plenty to do.
Try the road trip first, spend a few days in a spot you like, then move on to the next place. Lots of history, plenty of golf spots, warmer weather than Pa., no crowds, always vacancies wherever you stop, lower off season pricing, etc.
Good luck in retirement.

After 42 years here in State College, retired as Dentist, leaving end of month to Sun City , Bluffton , South Carolina. Shout out to any fans in the HHI area. Understand winters there will require warmer clothes but honestly, will not miss snow at all.
Based on a straw poll of people I know whovrecently headed South in retirement, Bluffton may be the epicenter of the so called "2nd Yankee Invasion." Just had a buddy whose father and 2 of his 3 kids are Penn Staters retire there.

Met him for drinks at Skull Creek Boathouse on HHI over Spring Break with another PSU buddy who settled in Beaufort. Neat part of the country undergoing a seismic change.

Hope it works out well for you there! Hard to imagine it not : )

All of our Carolina friends (both North and South) call it "Dirty Myrtle." However we had a great stay in North Myrtle with our kids maybe 8 years ago.

I would imagine the weather would be pretty different between South Florida and Northern South Carolina- but the costs and Supply vs Demand probably favor Myrtle.

Maybe try both one this year and one next? My mother in law had a place on Marco Island and loved it (until her 3rd divorce took that condo with it).

In any case- enjoy!
We’ve been to North Myrtle Beach at least 20 times. We have never seen it dirty. We’ve stayed at The Beach Cove and The North Beach Resort and Villas, exclusively.

The Gulf coast south of Tampa is very crowded with a lot of traffic. We've switched to the east coast now and like it better. The fishing on the gulf has really gone downhill in many areas due to red tide.

We’ve been to North Myrtle Beach at least 20 times. We have never seen it dirty. We’ve stayed at The Beach Cove and The North Beach Resort and Villas, exclusively.
I think they are referring to the downtown/boardwalk area and clientele...sorta like Pamana City Beach is "The Redneck Riviera."

We didn't go to the boardwalk and loved N. Myrtle...

Reactions: EPC FAN

ARe you a REpublican or Democrat?

If you are a DEmocrat then you should retire to Camden NJ waterfront.

If you are a REpublican then anywhere in Florida is great. I visit SE coast yearly. Never had a problem with traffic or hurricanes. WE are a block from the intercoastal and about a quarter mile from the ocean. One thing I like about our area is there are three airports with flights to Phila/Trenton. The tri rail runs from Palm Beach Airport to Lauderdale and Miami. Very easy to access. That coast seems to have a great dune system with A1A running on top of the duns. WE have never had any problem with flooding.

I do like the Gulf but I am not as familiar with that side.

ARe you a REpublican or Democrat?

If you are a DEmocrat then you should retire to Camden NJ waterfront.

If you are a REpublican then anywhere in Florida is great. I visit SE coast yearly. Never had a problem with traffic or hurricanes. WE are a block from the intercoastal and about a quarter mile from the ocean. One thing I like about our area is there are three airports with flights to Phila/Trenton. The tri rail runs from Palm Beach Airport to Lauderdale and Miami. Very easy to access. That coast seems to have a great dune system with A1A running on top of the duns. WE have never had any problem with flooding.

I do like the Gulf but I am not as familiar with that side.
Not many Republicans in Palm Beach or Broward County.

East coast beaches and waves are better plus you can park on the beach in all of Valusia County.. I live in Nt Dora, 55 miles from New Smyrna Beach and about 40 from Disney World.

Based on a straw poll of people I know whovrecently headed South in retirement, Bluffton may be the epicenter of the so called "2nd Yankee Invasion." Just had a buddy whose father and 2 of his 3 kids are Penn Staters retire there.

Met him for drinks at Skull Creek Boathouse on HHI over Spring Break with another PSU buddy who settled in Beaufort. Neat part of the country undergoing a seismic change.

Hope it works out well for you there! Hard to imagine it not : )

I appreciate your kind response, I absolutely want to find fellow PSU fans, just small piece of my involvement Bruce Clark held my first borne at my house for Thanksgiving,. Trust me I have a few interesting tidbits, had many patients that settled in The Village. Engaging friends is key to best retirement

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I appreciate your kind response, I absolutely want to find fellow PSU fans, just small piece of my involvement Bruce Clark held my first borne at my house for Thanksgiving,. Trust me I have a few interesting tidbits, had many patients that settled in The Village. Engaging friends is key to best retirement
I shopped in the Villages today. There are a lot of retired people working there

We drove a boat to the bar...I had on a PSU hat and my buddy a shirt. Met multiple people from PA who commented on the duds. Then this dude who pulled up in a $1.0mm+ yacht with about 10 folks on it...adult kids, grandkids etc all sitting at a big reserved table...rolls over to chat football. He is from Ohio, played football at Navy vs. PSU and his kids went to OSU. Goes to all OSU home games. Great chat...dude buys a round...invites us back to hang out w him for any football Saturday. Great spot! I'm certain you will find your peeps!

If they are working, they are not retired.

I'm retired. I did work on my car some today, just for fun. Does that count?
No. You did that to keep your synapses energized. Have to use the brain or it turns to mash potatoes. Kids don't read anymore which is why they are as dumb and uninformed as dirt.

Reactions: bison13
When a Republican moves from Pennsylvania to Florida, the IQ goes up in both places.
Ridiculous generalization. A lot of wealthy people move their primary residence to Florida to save on taxes. I don't think they're all ignorant redneck republicans.

Ridiculous generalization. A lot of wealthy people move their primary residence to Florida to save on taxes. I don't think they're all ignorant redneck republicans.
Don't let it bother you. His comment reflects the arrogant elitism of progressives that couldn't run a lemonade stand and their gross incompetence is reflected in everything they touch, and subsequently destroy. See any progressive city or our education system or our border or our disastrous energy policies.

right. COVID has also allowed more people to work from home via Zoom. People are moving to TX, NV, TN, and FL to escape income taxes in droves. The exodus out of CA to lower taxed mountain states is pretty incredible With all of the great weather and natural resources CA has, they've lost population so far this decade...the first time in recorded history.

My goal is to avoid the first frost in the fall and the last frost in the spring, and everything in between. Then we go North in the summer to avoid the heat and humidity of Fl.
I bought a house north of Orlando in a growth area four years ago. Property values in our area have increased about 25% in that time. Home and car insurance are much more expensive than in Pa. Traffic is terrible and dangerous, but in Pa. where we live, if the there are 5 cars at any one of the 6 traffic lights at one time, we think of it as a traffic jam. Shopping and restaurants are much better than in Pa.
On the down side, I think Florida is one the most bigoted and racist places I have ever lived. There are several topics that I have told one of my neighbors that we are not going to talk about. However, that might just be him. He is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT