ADVERTISEMENT

Re-watching iowa game (for 33rd time lol)

N&B4PSU

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
It's summer, I miss PSU football, and watching us win that iowa game always gets the blood flowing and always results in a happy ending! [Anyone watching this entire game realizes just how special SB is... he simply does things that maybe 5 guys I've watched over close to 6 decades can do... consistently. Everyone has that one play here or there... this guy simply does it all the time.]

That said... the 3rd down play at the end where TM's pass intended for a crossing Hamilton is batted down... I've replayed and watched this so many times and in each case it's clear that we didn't dodge a bullet (as some former osu guy implies on TV). If the pass is complete and Hamilton takes it in stride none of the iowa defenders in the same zip code have a prayer of tackling him.

But the talk was about how lucky we were the pass was batted down or else Hamilton is tackled (immediately, btw) and time expires before we can get the last TO. Guess Herbie wanted to add drama... just in case we still won.

Next time you watch this one, see what you think. In the end, we won it anyway and in fine style... but it irks hearing about it the way it's told.

FF to 2:43 on video and decide for yourself. IMO he's slanting and in full stride... iowa has 2 potential defenders.. one to his right can't get there and the other ahead and slightly left has a shot.. but if H catches in stride, he scoots left and is in the EZ before they blink. IMO, of course lol.

It's summer, I miss PSU football, and watching us win that iowa game always gets the blood flowing and always results in a happy ending! [Anyone watching this entire game realizes just how special SB is... he simply does things that maybe 5 guys I've watched over close to 6 decades can do... consistently. Everyone has that one play here or there... this guy simply does it all the time.]

That said... the 3rd down play at the end where TM's pass intended for a crossing Hamilton is batted down... I've replayed and watched this so many times and in each case it's clear that we didn't dodge a bullet (as some former osu guy implies on TV). If the pass is complete and Hamilton takes it in stride none of the iowa defenders in the same zip code have a prayer of tackling him.

But the talk was about how lucky we were the pass was batted down or else Hamilton is tackled (immediately, btw) and time expires before we can get the last TO. Guess Herbie wanted to add drama... just in case we still won.

Next time you watch this one, see what you think. In the end, we won it anyway and in fine style... but it irks hearing about it the way it's told.

FF to 2:43 on video and decide for yourself. IMO he's slanting and in full stride... iowa has 2 potential defenders.. one to his right can't get there and the other ahead and slightly left has a shot.. but if H catches in stride, he scoots left and is in the EZ before they blink. IMO, of course lol.

Hamilton would not have made the end zone. His momentum was taking him back to the middle of the field, where #98 was, or he would have been tackled by #27. If anything, he would have been tackled between the 5 and the end zone, but he would not have scored.

Reactions: bytir

I agree I think he would have scored.
Was it ever said if the final TD catch was really meant for JJ? Looks like he plucked it right out of the air and away from Hamilton.
I don't think I've ever seen one of our QB's have so many balls batted down.
I know the Iowa DE's were very tall so thats something Rahne will have to counter this year.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I agree I think he would have scored.
Was it ever said if the final TD catch was really meant for JJ? Looks like he plucked it right out of the air and away from Hamilton.
I don't think I've ever seen one of our QB's have so many balls batted down.
I know the Iowa DE's were very tall so thats something Rahne will have to counter this year.

it was intended for JJ. There was an interview that week where JJ in the huddle during the timeout told JoeMo that he could beat his man with that exact move and JoeMo said OK and they went with it. JJ said it was a huge moment for him as JoeMo and Trace showed they believed in him by trusting his opinion and going with the play.

Reactions: T J and N&B4PSU
it was intended for JJ. There was an interview that week where JJ in the huddle during the timeout told JoeMo that he could beat his man with that exact move and JoeMo said OK and they went with it. JJ said it was a huge moment for him as JoeMo and Trace showed they believed in him by trusting his opinion and going with the play.

Thanks did not know or remember that.:)

Reactions: T J
Hard to believe until that last play psu had 570 yds and 15 points.

Can't ever remember gaining that many yards with so few points.

Reactions: ralphster
That's what I recall as well. In the sideline huddle JJ told the coaches the DB was selling out on the outside move all night. JJ proposed an outside fake then an inside route. The DB bit and that was that.

Also watch the camera shot as the offense is breaking the sideline huddle. While Fowler and Herbstreit were convinced the ball was going to Barkley, another PSU player was encouraging JJ because he knew what was coming. Good thing the Iowa coaches in the press box didn't pick up on it.

Hard to believe until that last play psu had 570 yds and 15 points.

Can't ever remember gaining that many yards with so few points.

Franklin, as he showed against Michigan St, has a long memory. Looking forward to putting up 500+ yards and 40+ points this year in our stadium.

I don’t know if he scores, but he’s definitely not tackled “immediately,” so it would’ve been really close on time if he didn’t make it in the end zone. Herbie’s comment is kind of stupid because if Hamilton were tackled “immediately,” then there’s no question there would’ve been time to call timeout.

After rewatching that video with the benefit of knowing the outcome, I noticed that on the first (1st) play Saquon ran a fake pattern up the middle and sucked in two of Iowa's LB's. On the next play we go outside and SB runs down to the 10 yd line to get the 1st down.

Perhaps it was luck, but Moorhead knew how to keep defenses on their heels. I hope Rahne is capable of same.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT