ADVERTISEMENT

Rathskeller set to close

It would be interesting to learn who the "other investors" were. Anyway, my good buddy Oracle can still safely purchase mustard.

Herlochers Save Rathskeller Location From Wrecking Ball

In July 2017 our company Cornelius LLC concluded an investment in downtown State College with a plan to buy the Foster Building. While other investors intended to raze the property, we were steadfast in our commitment to preserve the historic nature and location of this landmark building.

When we took over the property we became aware that the operators of the All American Rathskeller and Spats had been operating without a lease since 2011 and paying well below market rates. Attempts to resolve the issue were unsuccessful. Our offer to purchase the businesses were also turned down.

We understand the concern many Penn Staters and State College natives have expressed. We want to assure you that as State College residents and Penn Staters we fully understand the historic importance of that location and memories made there across decades. We are committed to maintaining the character of the location that was founded in 1933 by Pop Flood as the Rathskeller and Gardens until 1934 when Doggie Alexander named it The All-American Rathskeller.

Our goal in the coming weeks and years is that Penn Staters past and present will walk into this location and find their memories of great times past still living there. The new tenants will be the latest in a long line of owners who have maintained the proud tradition of good times and good friends meeting in this downtown State College landmark.

Look for announcements soon from the new operators with their vision for this location.
Also we would like to alert current employees of the Rathskeller that the new operators are also interested in retaining staff.

Only you would actually believe that press release.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Let's see what happens.

I personally would:
  1. tear down the building
  2. excavate deeper such that the "new Skellar" would have taller ceilings and be "up to code"
  3. have a small hoagie/cheesesteak shop up front on College Ave.
  4. Install a couple of elevators and turn the back half of the 1st Floor and the entire 2nd floor into the new "Train Station"
  5. Make the 3rd/Top floor into the Release Valve Deck. And, it could be enclosed and rented out for "special occasions"
Im just the idea guy

Last edited:
Reactions: psu1969a
Let's see what happens.

I personally would:
  2. excavate deeper such that the "new Skellar" would have taller ceilings and be "up to code"
  4. Install a couple of elevators and turn the back half of the 1st Floor and the entire 2nd floor be the new "Train Station"
  5. Make the 3rd/Top floor into the Release Valve Deck. And, it could be enclosed and rented out for "special occasions"
Im just the idea guy

Just a guess. You have no soul.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
Let's see what happens.

I personally would:
  4. Install a couple of elevators and turn the back half of the 1st Floor and the entire 2nd floor be the new "Train Station"
Im just the idea guy

I'd put in a strip club, but to each his own.

case of ponies (in the heavy duty flip top reusable case) plopped on your table for $5 and get a church key for a 50 cent deposit......the good old days

I may never wear my Skellar t sheet again. Besides all my fun times there as a student I spent graduation eves there with our three daughters. Also met a young man who became our eldest’s husband there when they flew in for the Hack-Arob M OT game several years back. Bummer.

Two Landmark Eateries to Close Doors in Downtown State College
After 85 and 30 years respectively, the All-American Rathskeller and Spats Café will be serving their last customers.

State College, Pa: The corner of College Avenue and South Pugh Street will no longer bear the distinctive Spats Café windows festooned with Mardi Gras beads, or the late-night lines that snaked around the block as people waited to join the fun in the “Skeller.” Restaurateurs Duke and Monica Gastiger have announced that their leases weren’t renewed by the new property owners, so they will be closing the highly regarded Spats Café and Speakeasy, along with the much loved and historic All-American Rathskeller, which opened just three days after prohibition was repealed in 1933. Although the final closing date hasn’t been set, both will serve their last customers in the coming weeks.
“It has been a great honor operating these two iconic establishments and serving this community and its many truly wonderful patrons and friends,” said Duke Gastiger. “We are grateful for the loyalty that people-- including our incredible employees-- have shown us over the years. We most regret closing with such short notice, but it was unavoidable given the timeline dictated by the new property owners.”
Neil and Chuck Herlocher bought the buildings under the name of Cornelius LLC as part of a real estate deal in June 2017. Although the Herlochers originally indicated that “business there will continue as usual,” plans inexplicably and suddenly changed. Prior to informing the Gastigers of this altered plan the Herlochers had already contracted with another entity for the leased spaces. The Gastigers were offered no recourse, thus resulting in the imminent business closures. More than 60 highly skilled workers will be looking for new employment.
Both restaurants have played a prominent role in the State College community for decades. The Rathskeller is the longest continually operating bar in Pennsylvania, and is filled with memories that have covered many lifetimes. Spats too is rich in history and character, offering State College residents and visitors a sophisticated taste of New Orleans. Both establishments were renowned for their exceptional service, value and unique atmosphere. The Gastigers requested that the Herlochers be open to allowing them time to sell the businesses with all the goodwill and community allegiance to new owners who could then negotiate new lease terms with them and keep the traditions alive. However, the Gastigers received no response from the Herlochers.
The Gastigers hope that over the next few weeks their customers will be able to share a dish, drink or memory, and celebrate the servers, bartenders and kitchen staff for their decades of fine work. They are also ready to offer recommendations to those looking to hire their talented staff.
“We have been blessed with a wonderful community of employees, patrons and friends, and we have not reached our final act,” said Duke. “With RE Farm Café at Windswept we have plans to take our innovative cooking and hospitality in a new direction with an exciting new restaurant concept for the area. We are focused on building community and regenerative business, and we have big plans for our next venture. Stay tuned!”
For more information, contact…..

Duke Gastiger: duke.gastiger@gmail.com
Monica Gastiger: monica.gastiger@gmail.com

My Letter to the Editor at The Daily Collegian:

I am writing this letter to encourage fellow Penn State Alumni and the State College community to rally to save an historic institution, The All-American Rathskeller, or barring that, to boycott Herlocher Foods. The Herlochers reportedly purchased the property and led on as if The Skeller would continue to operate unimpeded. Somehow, that changed and changed suddenly. The Skeller will be closing. The Skeller is certainly nostalgic for me, being an Alumnus of 1990, but it's far more than that. It's part of Penn State culture. Open 84 years it has a historical value that far exceeds any dollar value that could be placed upon it. Now, the Herlochers have put out some public relations spin that attempt to justify their choices. However, its simply too easy to see through their avarice and lack of appreciation of history. With a Wal-Mart springing up on every corner, unbridled greed is homogenizing our communities and destroying our sense of culture and history. Please, join me in opposition of this trend, as exemplified by the Herlocher's decisions. Save The Skeller and Boycott Herlochers!

After 85 years of serving State College residents and Penn State students, Rathskeller will soon close its doors for the final time.

Spat's Cafe, under the same owner Duke Gastiger, will also shut down, according to a release.

“It has been a great honor operating these two iconic establishments and serving this community and its many truly wonderful patrons and friends,” Gastiger said in a press release. “We are grateful for the loyalty that people-- including our incredible employees-- have shown us over the years. We most regret closing with such short notice, but it was unavoidable given the timeline dictated by the new property owners.”

Closing dates for both places have yet to be determined, and it's unclear what will replace both establishments.

The All-American Rathskeller, located on the corner of College Avenue and South Pugh Street opened three days after the prohibition was lifted in 1933, according to the press release. It is the longest continually operating bar in Pennsylvania.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/news/borough/article_f012dd92-d938-11e7-bafe-7f33188e240a.html

NO!

Colonel Mistard did it in the ‘skellar with an eviction notice.

My senior year I lived in White Hall on Waupalani Drive. One Wednesday my bad knee from high school football was acting up. I took a nap. Meanwhile my two roommates went downtown to the ‘skellar. I woke up, crawled to my car and headed to the ‘skellar. Miraculously as I drove down College Avenue a car pulled out of the parking spot on the corner. I limped in and a few drafts later, I felt no pain on my knee.

After 85 years of serving State College residents and Penn State students, Rathskeller will soon close its doors for the final time.

Spat's Cafe, under the same owner Duke Gastiger, will also shut down, according to a release.

“It has been a great honor operating these two iconic establishments and serving this community and its many truly wonderful patrons and friends,” Gastiger said in a press release. “We are grateful for the loyalty that people-- including our incredible employees-- have shown us over the years. We most regret closing with such short notice, but it was unavoidable given the timeline dictated by the new property owners.”

Closing dates for both places have yet to be determined, and it's unclear what will replace both establishments.

The All-American Rathskeller, located on the corner of College Avenue and South Pugh Street opened three days after the prohibition was lifted in 1933, according to the press release. It is the longest continually operating bar in Pennsylvania.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/news/borough/article_f012dd92-d938-11e7-bafe-7f33188e240a.html

FWIW, Herlocher is a friend of mine. He's a good guy. I don't have any details on this and I won't pretend to know motives or what's going on at this point, but he just posted this on facebook. TIFWIW
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Herlochers Save Rathskeller Location From Wrecking Ball

In July 2017 our company Cornelius LLC concluded an investment in downtown State College with a plan to buy the Foster Building. While other investors intended to demolish the property, we were steadfast in our commitment to preserve the historic nature and location of this landmark building.

When we took over the property we became aware that the operators of the All American Rathskeller and Spats had been operating without a lease since 2011. Attempts to resolve the issue were unsuccessful. Our offer to purchase the businesses were also turned down.

We understand the concern many Penn Staters and State College natives have expressed. We want to assure you that as State College residents and Penn Staters we fully understand the historic importance of that location and memories made there across decades. We are committed to maintaining the character of the location that was founded in 1933 by Pop Flood as the Rathskeller and Gardens until 1934 when Doggie Alexander named it The All-American Rathskeller.

Our goal in the coming weeks and years is that Penn Staters past and present will walk into this location and find their memories of great times past still living there. The new tenants will be the latest in a long line of owners who have maintained the proud tradition of good times and good friends meeting in this downtown State College landmark.

Look for announcements soon from the new operators with their vision for this location.
Also we would like to alert current employees of the Rathskeller that the new operators are also interested in retaining staff.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
This aggression will not stand, Man.
giphy.gif

What motivates someone, other than incredible hubris and/or greed to buy a property with an historic business on it without a plan to sustain that business?

Sickening.

Reactions: chrisrn1965
Two Landmark Eateries to Close Doors in Downtown State College
After 85 and 30 years respectively, the All-American Rathskeller and Spats Café will be serving their last customers.

State College, Pa: The corner of College Avenue and South Pugh Street will no longer bear the distinctive Spats Café windows festooned with Mardi Gras beads, or the late-night lines that snaked around the block as people waited to join the fun in the “Skeller.” Restaurateurs Duke and Monica Gastiger have announced that their leases weren’t renewed by the new property owners, so they will be closing the highly regarded Spats Café and Speakeasy, along with the much loved and historic All-American Rathskeller, which opened just three days after prohibition was repealed in 1933. Although the final closing date hasn’t been set, both will serve their last customers in the coming weeks.
“It has been a great honor operating these two iconic establishments and serving this community and its many truly wonderful patrons and friends,” said Duke Gastiger. “We are grateful for the loyalty that people-- including our incredible employees-- have shown us over the years. We most regret closing with such short notice, but it was unavoidable given the timeline dictated by the new property owners.”
Neil and Chuck Herlocher bought the buildings under the name of Cornelius LLC as part of a real estate deal in June 2017. Although the Herlochers originally indicated that “business there will continue as usual,” plans inexplicably and suddenly changed. Prior to informing the Gastigers of this altered plan the Herlochers had already contracted with another entity for the leased spaces. The Gastigers were offered no recourse, thus resulting in the imminent business closures. More than 60 highly skilled workers will be looking for new employment.
Both restaurants have played a prominent role in the State College community for decades. The Rathskeller is the longest continually operating bar in Pennsylvania, and is filled with memories that have covered many lifetimes. Spats too is rich in history and character, offering State College residents and visitors a sophisticated taste of New Orleans. Both establishments were renowned for their exceptional service, value and unique atmosphere. The Gastigers requested that the Herlochers be open to allowing them time to sell the businesses with all the goodwill and community allegiance to new owners who could then negotiate new lease terms with them and keep the traditions alive. However, the Gastigers received no response from the Herlochers.
The Gastigers hope that over the next few weeks their customers will be able to share a dish, drink or memory, and celebrate the servers, bartenders and kitchen staff for their decades of fine work. They are also ready to offer recommendations to those looking to hire their talented staff.
“We have been blessed with a wonderful community of employees, patrons and friends, and we have not reached our final act,” said Duke. “With RE Farm Café at Windswept we have plans to take our innovative cooking and hospitality in a new direction with an exciting new restaurant concept for the area. We are focused on building community and regenerative business, and we have big plans for our next venture. Stay tuned!”
For more information, contact…..

Duke Gastiger: duke.gastiger@gmail.com
Monica Gastiger: monica.gastiger@gmail.com

"More than 60 highly skilled workers will be looking for new employment"

I mean... this just make it lose all credibility.

LdN

Reactions: heckmans

LdN

So shocking that LdN is on the side of the multimillionaire property owners who have absolutely no regard for the historical, cultural and sentimental value of a Penn State landmark. I'm stunned.

Reactions: chrisrn1965
The bar game is incredibly hard. Go to any bar in town on a Monday or Tuesday night in February. The football weekends have to carry a bar for a lot of the year.

Herlochers paid 5.x million for the property. No way they were just going to collect rent at that price point. Can’t renovate without opening a can of worms on code. Think that basement passes code?
No. I've gotta admit that it struck me as a firetrap. But they could have sprinklered it, or taken other measures to improve the fire safety there. It just seems like a huge waste to shut it down an institution that HAD to be making decent money. If they put in some kind of brand spankin' new bar, it will be a disaster in every way, and they surely know it.

Last edited:
Apparently the owner/realtor would not disclose how much rent the businesses or the students were paying each month prior to the sale.
I find it hard to believe that was the case. I've handled a lot of real estate transactions over the last few decades, and I have yet to work on a sale of commercial real property where the seller did not provide the buyer with a "rent roll" (i.e., a listing of each tenant in the property, the duration of each tenant's lease, and the rent each tenant was paying). That's a bare minimum, since you're essentially buying a stream of income when you're buying commercial real property.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I find it hard to believe that was the case. I've handled a lot of real estate transactions over the last few decades, and I have yet to work on a sale of commercial real property where the seller did not provide the buyer with a "rent roll" (i.e., a listing of each tenant in the property, the duration of each tenant's lease, and the rent each tenant was paying). That's a bare minimum, since you're essentially buying a stream of income when you're buying commercial real property.

I was told this last month by another interested party who was looking to pay in the 4 million range. The apartments upstairs are apparently crap as well, haven’t been updated in 40 years.

While I've had my share of pony cases at the skeller when I was a poor student who couldn't afford good beer, I've never really seen the appeal for the place. Especially with the benefit of hindsight, why would I want to hang out and drink crappy beer in a cramped basement that's sticky, crowded, and smells of vomit and urine?

So I say tear it down, pour a lot of bleach in the hole, then build the Rathskeller HD.

While I've had my share of pony cases at the skeller when I was a poor student who couldn't afford good beer, I've never really seen the appeal for the place. Especially with the benefit of hindsight, why would I want to hang out and drink crappy beer in a cramped basement that's sticky, crowded, and smells of vomit and urine?

So I say tear it down, pour a lot of bleach in the hole, then build the Rathskeller HD.

Yeah Wrigley Field and Fenway Park are just dumps compared to PetCo Park. Just tear them all down and put up new ballparks. They're just garbage and offer nothing at all of historic, nostalgic, or sentimental value to millions of fans who spent their lives devoted to those teams, thereby making them successful franchises.

LdN

Pretty sure from reading the article AND the facebook post that there is going to be a period when it is closed. During that period, the current employees are going to need a JOB. See, you may have heard that the promise of a job 6 mos. from now is not helpful in paying today's bills.

Was anyone there with me most Friday nights for Chris Mincer Happy Hour and later on Queen Bee & The Blue Hornet Band from '86 to '90?

So many great nights filled with wonderful music, friends and many beers!
i don't think i missed a Mincer Happy Hour in 1987/88. Fridays and Wednesdays!

Yeah Wrigley Field and Fenway Park are just dumps compared to PetCo Park. Just tear them all down and put up new ballparks. They're just garbage and offer nothing at all of historic, nostalgic, or sentimental value to millions of fans who spent their lives devoted to those teams, thereby making them successful franchises.

Both of those parks had MAJOR renovations several times.

More than likely the building renovation would cost more than a rebuild... however that is not possible without rent.

If you want to be angry be angry at the person who walked away with $5mm.

LdN

Terrible analogy... Apples and Oranges. I love Wrigley and Fenway, been to both many times, and neither smell like piss. The skeller is just a dive bar.

I've had lots of fun at the skeller, I've had lots of fun at other bars at PSU too. But it was about the time in my life, the people, the experience... not the place.

Reactions: wilbury
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT