ADVERTISEMENT

Rathskeller set to close

francofan

Oct 26, 2015
After 85 years of serving State College residents and Penn State students, Rathskeller will soon close its doors for the final time.

Spat's Cafe, under the same owner Duke Gastiger, will also shut down, according to a release.

“It has been a great honor operating these two iconic establishments and serving this community and its many truly wonderful patrons and friends,” Gastiger said in a press release. “We are grateful for the loyalty that people-- including our incredible employees-- have shown us over the years. We most regret closing with such short notice, but it was unavoidable given the timeline dictated by the new property owners.”

Closing dates for both places have yet to be determined, and it's unclear what will replace both establishments.

The All-American Rathskeller, located on the corner of College Avenue and South Pugh Street opened three days after the prohibition was lifted in 1933, according to the press release. It is the longest continually operating bar in Pennsylvania.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/news/borough/article_f012dd92-d938-11e7-bafe-7f33188e240a.html

There must be some horrible management. How hard is it to make money by owning a bar which is across the street from the campus of a major university?? If the closure isn't due to profitability, I'm sure there would be no shortage of people looking for a great investment opportunity.

There must be some horrible management. How hard is it to make money by owning a bar which is across the street from the campus of a major university?? If the closure isn't due to profitability, I'm sure there would be no shortage of people looking for a great investment opportunity.

Building got sold. To the mustard family.

Well now where I am going to go when I come to the Arts Festival?

Damn, this is sad news. I believe the Skellar was the oldest remaining bar in town. As such, it served as a popular place for alumni to reminisce about the good old days at PSU.

When it closes, which bar becomes the oldest?

Do the Herlochers still own the building that housed the original Train Station and Cattle Car?

Does anyone know the development plan for the Skellar building. The basement and 1st floor are retail with what appears to be apartments on floors 2 and 3. I wonder if they're going to tear the building down or make a multi-story Train Station.

That said, it's going to be difficult fitting an actual locomotive on that property:)

Damn, this is sad news. I believe the Skellar was the oldest remaining bar in town. As such, it served as a popular place for alumni to reminisce about the good old days at PSU.

The Phyrst or Zeno’s would be my guesses

The Skellar is the oldest continuously operating bar in the State of Pennsylvania.

Reactions: Zenophile
Who all remember when the Rathskeller served no liquor?
I would imagine the Lion's Den is the next oldest, although not at it's original location.

After 85 years of serving State College residents and Penn State students, Rathskeller will soon close its doors for the final time.

Spat's Cafe, under the same owner Duke Gastiger, will also shut down, according to a release.

“It has been a great honor operating these two iconic establishments and serving this community and its many truly wonderful patrons and friends,” Gastiger said in a press release. “We are grateful for the loyalty that people-- including our incredible employees-- have shown us over the years. We most regret closing with such short notice, but it was unavoidable given the timeline dictated by the new property owners.”

Closing dates for both places have yet to be determined, and it's unclear what will replace both establishments.

The All-American Rathskeller, located on the corner of College Avenue and South Pugh Street opened three days after the prohibition was lifted in 1933, according to the press release. It is the longest continually operating bar in Pennsylvania.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/news/borough/article_f012dd92-d938-11e7-bafe-7f33188e240a.html
This aggression will not stand, Man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT