Jan 3, 2012
RI
jollyroger.gif

Where'd everybody go?

fair?

Knocker?

Greg?

wbcincy?

Watched most of the game but fell asleep late in the game................

Sorry......

• Nice game by Happ. He's turned into a very consistent starter and has been the difference in keeping the team going
  • I was hoping Cutch's base running blunder didn't cost the Bucco's. He stopped at 3rd when the double leaked down in the corner and could have scored standing up. Instead stranded at 3rd. Not like him to not have his head in the game while running the bases.
  • First game that I really felt Harrison was all back. Got on base 3 times, 2 hits and a walk, batting lead off.
  • Colorado strategy with Cutch seems to be just don't throw him any strikes. 2 more walks. I did see him get a juicy pitch but he just didn't get enough of it and flew out to left.

Last edited:
Reactions: fairgambit
I might be wrong but I think the 3rd base coached screwed up Cutch.Looked to me like he stopped Cutch and then waved him on after he slowed it down.I don't think So field saw the right fielder miss the ball.How many times has Sofield messed up this year?bwdik

Reactions: TheGLOV
I might be wrong but I think the 3rd base coached screwed up Cutch.Looked to me like he stopped Cutch and then waved him on after he slowed it down.I don't think So field saw the right fielder miss the ball.How many times has Sofield messed up this year?bwdik
Actually, Sofield did the right thing.....kept Cutch going, then when the ball slid a bit further down the line he waved Cutch in (this was while Cutch was still on his way to third).

Sofield pointed to second to let Marte know to stay put there.....but the whole time he was waving Cutch to go home with his other arm. Cutch screwed up....simple as that. Not the first time, won't be the last. Fortunately, it didn't hurt this time.

FWIW, Cutch is one of the most timid base runners in baseball....especially for a guy with his speed. It's all a matter of preference, but I much prefer the guy who tends to get OVER aggressive at times, rather than the more timid approach.....but there are certainly pluses and minuses to each....and times when one is preferable to the other (ie, "smart" base running). To paraphrase Jimmy Dugan..."That's something we need to work on in the offseason"!! To put it mildly.

Amazingly, the one thing the Buccos will lose when they cut Pedro loose....is arguably their best (not fastest) base runner. Pedro RARELY makes a mistake on the base paths, even though he also is relatively aggressive.

Reactions: fairgambit
Actually, Sofield did the right thing.....kept Cutch going, then when the ball slid a bit further down the line he waved Cutch in (this was while Cutch was still on his way to third).

Sofield pointed to second to let Marte know to stay put there.....but the whole time he was waving Cutch to go home with his other arm. Cutch screwed up....simple as that. Not the first time, won't be the last. Fortunately, it didn't hurt this time.

FWIW, Cutch is one of the most timid base runners in baseball....especially for a guy with his speed. It's all a matter of preference, but I much prefer the guy who tends to get OVER aggressive at times, rather than the more timid approach.....but there are certainly pluses and minuses to each....and times when one is preferable to the other (ie, "smart" base running). To paraphrase Jimmy Dugan..."That's something we need to work on in the offseason"!! To put it mildly.

Amazingly, the one thing the Buccos will lose when they cut Pedro loose....is arguably their best (not fastest) base runner. Pedro RARELY makes a mistake on the base paths, even though he also is relatively aggressive.
I agree with you on Cutch and timid is appropriate. I would not say he dogs it, but I never expect him to take an extra base when often it looks like he could.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT