ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P., Willie McCovey (80)

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
Hall of Famer. R.I.P.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25138329/willie-mccovey-san-francisco-giants-legend-dies-80

920x920.jpg

My father was in Giants spring training with him. Said he was a really nice kid. McCovey played on a different team than him but my father did play in Muskogee with Orlando Cepeda.
Sad to hear of his passing.

I was him play. Willie was a great one. Cepeda moves from 1st to 3rd when WM came up. Cepeda and WM were Rookies of the Year in consecutive years, ‘
59 and 60 IIRC.The Giants were always loaded with hitters back then.[/QUOTE
[

Were they ever. I also remember they had Jim Ray Hart and Bobby Bonds. Not bad hitters either. As a Pirates fan it seemed that McCovey terrorized them more than any of the others. I'll never forget Bob Prince saying when Willie came up with men on base with a sense of pending doom, "And here comes McCovey".

Reactions: NedFromYork
Fall of 1966, I attended a double header at Forbes Field when the Giants ended the Pirates World Series dreams. FYI, the Dodgers won the NL but lost to the Os in the series.

What a team they had, from Mays and McCovey, Cepeda, Davenport, Jesus Alou, and Juan Marichal and Gaylord Perry on the hill.

Those Bucs weren't slouches either - Clemente, Mazeroski, Alley, Donn Clendenon, Bob Bailey, Matty Alou and a young Wiille Stargell - Vernon Law was still pitching along with Bob Veale and a relatively young Steve Blass.
Elroy Face was still the Baron of the Bullpen.

Frustrating Saturday, but still a pretty good season.

To Seaver said when he faced Boog Powell in the 69 series, he was an intimidating hitter but he didn't scare him as much as McCovey did.

Were they ever. I also remember they had Jim Ray Hart and Bobby Bonds. Not bad hitters either. As a Pirates fan it seemed that McCovey terrorized them more than any of the others. I'll never forget Bob Prince saying when Willie came up with men on base with a sense of pending doom, "And here comes McCovey".
They also had all three Alous: Felipe (the best of the Alous), Matty (got his bat on everything) and Jesus.

I was at Connie Mack when Jim Ray Hart hit one over the Coke sign in left.

The Giants had another player named Willie who was pretty good too.

Reactions: nits74
They also had all three Alous: Felipe (the best of the Alous), Matty (got his bat on everything) and Jesus.

I was at Connie Mack when Jim Ray Hart hit one over the Coke sign in left.

The Giants had another player named Willie who was pretty good too.
Those two gave everyone the willies.

Finished 2nd in NL Rookie of the Year voting in 1964 to the Phillies Richie Allen.

If you ever have the opportunity to have a conversation with Allen, ask him to tell you the tale about his batting title chase in the minors with Jimmy Ray.

Saw willie play at old Forbes field. Hit a ball off the right field screen and Clemente tried to throw him out at first. The ball was an absolute bullet as was Clemente’s throw

Reactions: LionJim
Mays was clearly the better player, but McCovey is probably the more beloved player, believe it or not. At least among Giants fans. It's close.
I caddied for Giants manager, Alvin Dark, in FL in the early 70s. No love lost between him and Mays. That was from Dark’s mouth.

Does anyone know if he made his major league debut against the Phillies in San Francisco?
My memory maybe playing tricks on me, but I think that’s correct. I believe I was listening on the radio with Byrum Saam calling the game.

Does anyone know if he made his major league debut against the Phillies in San Francisco?

Some interesting notes from his MLB debut.

McCovey went 4-4 which is interesting in itself but he had TWO TRIPLES in the game which is very surprising. The game featured six individuals who would ultimately be enshrined in Cooperstown. Three HOF’ers on each side.

Phillies - Ashburn, Roberts, and Sparky Anderson.

Giants - Mays, McCovey, and Cepeda.

Reactions: artsandletters
I am not certain, but I know he went 4 for 4 (two triples and two singles) against Robin Roberts in that debut..

I was him play. Willie was a great one. Cepeda moves from 1st to 3rd when WM came up. Cepeda and WM were Rookies of the Year in consecutive years, ‘
59 and 60 IIRC.The Giants were always loaded with hitters back then.
Hitters are a thing of the past. Today teams are loaded with swingers.

Reactions: harbest
Hitters are a thing of the past. Today teams are loaded with swingers.
Same with golf, for the most part. With a few exceptions, they hit it as far as they can with the rough an afterthought. They consider the risk worth it and they’re probably right given today’s drivers and balls.

Great player, one of the all time greats. Saw him hit one over the right field roof at Forbes Field. Feared hitter.

Saw willie play at old Forbes field. Hit a ball off the right field screen and Clemente tried to throw him out at first. The ball was an absolute bullet as was Clemente’s throw
God, that must have been something to see. I remember Fat Jack Fisher once hitting a single to right field and nearly getting thrown out at first. I still remember that play; imagine seeing the play you described.

Willie's line drives were like lasers. I would not have wanted to have been in front of one. Might have killed me. He hit a vicious ball. What a man, what a ballplayer. I miss him already and have for a long time. May he rest in peace.

God, that must have been something to see. I remember Fat Jack Fisher once hitting a single to right field and nearly getting thrown out at first. I still remember that play; imagine seeing the play you described.
Fisher gave up No. 521 to Ted Williams in his last at bat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT