ADVERTISEMENT

Quick note on Jason Nolf...

Aug 8, 2010
For those not in attendance tonight, Jason Nolf was with his team for introductions and sitting mat side for the match. He was on crutches, but he was also able to stand holding his own weight and did not appear to be in a bulky brace, or at least nothing that showed through the pant leg of his warmups.

Cael Sanderson offered a quick update as well in the post-match presser...

"Nolf is doing well. He's doing great. He wanted to be out there. You see him, he's carrying his own weight. He's on crutches but he's weight-bearing and he's ahead of schedule. He fully expects to be ready to roll here soon."​

For those not in attendance tonight, Jason Nolf was with his team for introductions and sitting mat side for the match. He was on crutches, but he was also able to stand holding his own weight and did not appear to be in a bulky brace, or at least nothing that showed through the pant leg of his warmups.

"Nolf is doing well. He's doing great. He wanted to be out there. You see him, he's carrying his own weight. He's on crutches but he's weight-bearing and he's ahead of schedule. He fully expects to be ready to roll here soon."​
100000 likes if I could

Who will be the first to compare these quotes to that Rutgers kid last year? Lemon? Bueller?

#TrustinCael

Unfortunately, this means nothing.

I think he will be wrestling in big tens and NCAAs. Just to see the way he was excited and banging his crutches and celebrating his fellow teammates victories made me think he will be back. If he was done for the season I just could not see him “that” happy. I mean he was going nuts on the sidelines and dancing. I believe he will be back and he is going to win his second NCAA Championship.

I hope he is ready to go but would not be surprised to see him medical fft at B1G's to be closer to 100% at nationals.

I won't allow myself to believe things are fine until I see him on the mat AND moving without restriction.

From what I saw, he wasn't putting any weight on it. I could be wrong however.

I hope he is ready to go but would not be surprised to see him medical fft at B1G's to be closer to 100% at nationals.

It's quite unlikely IMO that Nolf will wrestle at B1Gs, which start in 27 days. Even if Nolf is healthy enough to go at that time (a very big "if"), I suspect the PSU staff will err conservatively and decide the risk of re-injury outweighs any benefit of Nolf wrestling.

The real question is whether Nolf will be healthy enough to go at NCAAs, which start in 39 days. I hope like hell I'm wrong, but I'm not optimistic about this, since the injury "looked" bad and even Cael Sanderson acknowledged that it's not a "minor" injury. And, unfortunately, we simply can't believe anything the PSU staff says about Nolf's prognosis for NCAAs.

Reactions: nagromth
I'm cautiously optimistic.

So many examples of guys who did wrestle -- at a high level -- with injuries that required surgery. Spencer Lee last year. McFadden placing with a torn ACL a couple years ago. Etc.

I don't know if Jason can successfully defend his title. Repeating 27 points seems like a stretch. But there is precedent for him going and having a good tournament.

And I'm expecting to see or hear nothing useful until he does or does not step on the mat in Cleveland.

John Kading of Oklahoma wrestled NCAA’s in 1997 with a torn ACL and made the finals and lost 4-3 in double overtime to Lee Fulhart of Iowa. It has been done.

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT