PSUs pound for pound Rbs...

Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

Jun 9, 2002
Jon Williams
Jon Greene
MIke Archie
Shelly Hammonds
Blair Thomas

They were all fun to watch Archie hit like a guy weighing 30 more pounds than he did.

Reactions: CVLion
Lb for lb has to be Curt Warner. He was a skinny kid known for his quick moves and looked fragile but he still had good power. He may not have delivered big hits but he was a strong runner.

Imagine being some po' kid from Jawja thinking you are top dawg and waking up in 1983 and seeing a kid from Wyoming, West Virginia doing Skinny Tornado in your general direction.

Warner was the next best PSU back we had next to Barkley. He was a complete back with top end speed, a lot of shake and deceptive power.
Enis was a tank, Aron Harris a bowling ball on wheels, and Curt Warner a master of the position. Barkley was as much fun to watch as women's beach volleyball and DJ Dozier. We've had some great ones over the years.

I was at the 1990 game in Boston where Hammonds ran for 208 vs. BC. I think he was 4th on the depth chart at that point and due to injuries got thrown out there. He was spectacular that day.

I was at the 1990 game in Boston where Hammonds ran for 208 vs. BC. I think he was 4th on the depth chart at that point and due to injuries got thrown out there. He was spectacular that day.
I wasn’t even sure he was on the depth chart at rb. Thought they converted him from the secondary.

Reactions: BBrown
Mike "Big Play" Archie was a terrific all-around back. Quick, elusive with great moves - he was one of the better all-purpose backs of the 90's because he had great hands and could split out wide (Ganter would put Archie in motion and he would essentially be a 3rd WR which would single Engram up on S's - i.e. '94 TD at Michigan), pick up blitz (on the '95 game-winning drive vs Texas Tech he repeatedly stoned MLB Zach Thomas on critical 3rd-down conversions) and also return kicks (ST helped him stick in the NFL for a couple seasons). With that said, I never saw Archie as a physical runner who packed a punch for his size but he still had an effective running style.

Mike "Big Play" Archie was a terrific all-around back. Quick, elusive with great moves - he was one of the better all-purpose backs of the 90's because he had great hands and could split out wide (Ganter would put Archie in motion and he would essentially be a 3rd WR which would single Engram up on S's - i.e. '94 TD at Michigan), pick up blitz (on the '95 game-winning drive vs Texas Tech he repeatedly stoned MLB Zach Thomas on critical 3rd-down conversions) and also return kicks (ST helped him stick in the NFL for a couple seasons). With that said, I never saw Archie as a physical runner who packed a punch for his size but he still had an effective running style.

One of my favorite replays of Archie was when after he had had his way with the USC D-linemen ...it took 4 of them to bring him down yet he bulled for a 4 yard gain. You, so aptly describe his impact as a receiver too. He executed every play with excitment... so fun to watch!

Reactions: N&B4PSU
One of my favorite replays of Archie was when after he had had his way with the USC D-linemen ...it took 4 of them to bring him down yet he bulled for a 4 yard gain. You, so aptly describe his impact as a receiver too. He executed every play with excitment... so fun to watch!
I remember after a game joe singled out mike saying “He was really ready to play today” You could really tell what joe thought of him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT