ADVERTISEMENT

PSU to Rose Bowl Likely IMO

daveM.

Jun 6, 2001
We will go to Rose Bowl if Wisconsin beats Minny (somewhat likely) and then Wisconsin loses to OSU (likely).

If Minny goes to B1G championship and loses to OSU we go to Orange Bowl.

Not sure I agree with Orange, and I think Rose is 50/50

We will go to Rose Bowl if Wisconsin beats Minny (somewhat likely) and then Wisconsin loses to OSU (likely).

If Minny goes to B1G championship and loses to OSU we go to Orange Bowl.

I'll take it.

This all assumes that we defeat the mighty Rutgers

It will be interesting to see where PSU is ranked on Tuesday, which I think plays a larger role in the Orange Bowl. Two road losses, one by 5 (with a dropped game-winner at the end) against a one-loss team and an 11-point loss against the No. 1 or No. 2 team (whose next closest game is a 24-point win).

It's possible, but not at all likely.

PSU really doesn't deserve to drop in the polls. Their B1G competition had an unimpressive 38-22 win over Rutgers-level Northwestern.

It will be interesting to see where PSU is ranked on Tuesday, which I think plays a larger role in the Orange Bowl. Two road losses, one by 5 (with a dropped game-winner at the end) against a one-loss team and an 11-point loss against the No. 1 or No. 2 team (whose next closest game is a 24-point win).
Does that mean they also look closer at a win (with a dropped game tying drop at the end of the Michigan game) :)

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
As much as it pains me to say it, OSU may lose to Michigan next week and play in the Rose.

Reactions: PSUoh90

Orange also depends on how many SEC teams are in the playoff. If only one, I see the third SEC team in the Orange.

Reactions: step.eng69
Nah, Outback bowl is the high watermark at this point. Who will the Rose take - PSU who was there a few years ago, or the cinderella story Gophers who haven’t gone in 60 years. Orange bowl ain’t picking PSU over an SEC team and we can’t go to the Citrus so it’s Outback or TaxSlayer Gatorbowl, unless some upsets occur.

I remember last year when half this board was crowing that we’d go to the cotton bowl, but that never materialized since folks were grasping at straws. Too many L’s too late in the year.

Unless Shea Patterson has become a dual threat qb, Chase Young is going to eat him alive.
I hope Indiana pulls it out then the booger pickers beat OSU next week as much as I hate Michigan. Cheaters vs. Eaters. We all win!

Not a chance. O$U will smoke Michigan. O$U is the best team in the nation. We are a Top 10 team and Michigan is a Top 15 team.
Best team in the nation? They converted two 4th downs on that drive and beat a 2nd string QB AT HOME. Nah.

I think in your scenario PSU to the Rose is better than 50 50 but by no means a sure thing.

I think we dramatically improved our stock and chances for the Rose with a good effort today.

We probably drop to #11 and Minny will be #9 (Florida at #10) assuming no chaos elsewhere.

Then we beat Rutgers and Minny loses to #12 Wisky so we jump back ahead of them going to #10 and they go to #12 (Wisky at #11). We will always be ahead of Wisky because our losses are better and the OSU common opponent results.

That all means we are higher ranked than Minny going into to the conference championship games with neither team playing in the game so we stay ahead of them (Minny) when bowls make selections.

That gives us the advantage BUT the Rose Bowl does NOT have to pick us just because we are ranked higher. They could go with Minny because of the head to head win they have over us. I don't, think that would happen but screwing PSU is an annual tradition with the powers that be in college football.

One other note, I think the Orange is going to be tough because of the love fest with the SEC. Florida can take it over us because they will probably be ranked one spot higher when all is said and done.

Reactions: step.eng69
Maybe just semantics...but the Rose Bowl doesn't get to choose their teams. The CFP does it. They'll pick the highest ranked, non-CFP teams from the Big Ten and Pac-12. Period.

If the CFP committee says PSU ends the season ranked higher than 10-3 Wisconsin...or 9-3 Michigan...or 11-2 Minnesota...then we'll be in the Rose Bowl.

If OSU can get past Michigan next week in the Big House, I think they'll win easily over Wiscy or Minny.

Maybe just semantics...but the Rose Bowl doesn't get to choose their teams. The CFP does it. They'll pick the highest ranked, non-CFP teams from the Big Ten and Pac-12. Period.

If the CFP committee says PSU ends the season ranked higher than 10-3 Wisconsin...or 9-3 Michigan...or 11-2 Minnesota...then we'll be in the Rose Bowl.

If OSU can get past Michigan next week in the Big House, I think they'll win easily over Wiscy or Minny.

Wrong. From the CFP website:

"When not hosting semifinals, the Orange, Rose and Sugar bowls (the “contract bowls”) will make their own pairings outside the CFP arrangement. Generally, they will take the champion of their contracted conference; if that champion qualifies for the playoff, the bowl will then choose a replacement from that conference."

Does that mean they also look closer at a win (with a dropped game tying drop at the end of the Michigan game) :)
PSU built a 21 point lead against Michigan. None of that was a fluke, so the win was earned.

I think in your scenario PSU to the Rose is better than 50 50 but by no means a sure thing.

I think we dramatically improved our stock and chances for the Rose with a good effort today.

We probably drop to #11 and Minny will be #9 (Florida at #10) assuming no chaos elsewhere.

Then we beat Rutgers and Minny loses to #12 Wisky so we jump back ahead of them going to #10 and they go to #12 (Wisky at #11). We will always be ahead of Wisky because our losses are better and the OSU common opponent results.

That all means we are higher ranked than Minny going into to the conference championship games with neither team playing in the game so we stay ahead of them (Minny) when bowls make selections.

That gives us the advantage BUT the Rose Bowl does NOT have to pick us just because we are ranked higher. They could go with Minny because of the head to head win they have over us. I don't, think that would happen but screwing PSU is an annual tradition with the powers that be in college football.

One other note, I think the Orange is going to be tough because of the love fest with the SEC. Florida can take it over us because they will probably be ranked one spot higher when all is said and done.
I just have this sinking feeling that UM is going to upset everybody’s applecart. If they finally figure out a way to beat OSU all bets are off. OSU still beats let’s say Minny in the championship game giving Minny and us two losses and Wisconsin three. That leaves UM with only one loss not two, because even though we scored more points and won the National perception is that they won. Thus they get to go to the Rose Bowl and everyone else is left scrambling. The only thing that any of us may be certain of us that no matter what happens next Summer UM will be a preseason top five team.

How would OSU end up in Rose Bowl? Even if they lose to Michigan, they still play in Big 10 championship

Nah, Outback bowl is the high watermark at this point. Who will the Rose take - PSU who was there a few years ago, or the cinderella story Gophers who haven’t gone in 60 years. Orange bowl ain’t picking PSU over an SEC team and we can’t go to the Citrus so it’s Outback or TaxSlayer Gatorbowl, unless some upsets occur.

I remember last year when half this board was crowing that we’d go to the cotton bowl, but that never materialized since folks were grasping at straws. Too many L’s too late in the year.

Unfortunately either us or Minne will be in the Outback and disappointed.

Odds of a 10-2 Penn State Vs. a 10-2 Notre Dame?

ND was 8 spots behind PSU going into today. Given PSU’s relatively close loss at OSU and ND’s meaningless home win against BC, there’s just no way ND jumps PSU. ND closes their season @ Stanford. No real opportunity to make noise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT