ADVERTISEMENT

PSU to play at Michigan St on Black Friday night, rather than Saturday, per ESPN

Countless people in this thread have pointed out his insanity. Just for the record.

Really Jackass? Here's a pro-scUM Detroit-based Newpaper (MLive) that is reporting that scUM "pushed back against NBC" regarding playing a Nov PT Night Game and refused to play the game being discussed based on their "tolerance rights" which scUM says they have never relinquished despite NBC saying they were signed away by Warren in latest TV contract (i.e., scUM says they still retain them and refused to play a Nov PT night game that NBC wanted causing NBC to go back to the new B1G Commissioner and say that they would not be paying a significant portion of their contractual broadcasting fees because the B1G was failing to honor the Nov PT night games featuring marquee B1G names that NBC was promised under the new contract (and NBC was contractually told that B1G teams no longer had the right to refuse Nov PT games under the new contract) - hit the following hotlink:

Michigan pushes back on Big Ten’s plan for November night games

Everything being reported in this piece by a Pro-Michigan, Michigan-based media outlet is diametrically opposite what you and the other posing Michigan shills have been claiming. Gee, I wonder what Nov PT night game Michigan "pushed back against NBC" on and declined to play based on their "tolerance refusal rights" being intact and still exercisable and that Warren had no right to sign them away under the new contract and they were therefore still valid and scUM was refusing to play the Nov PT night game. Gee, it's so hard to figure out what game scUM refused a$$hole... LMAO at how BLATANTLY WRONG you are on every single point being discussed in this thread! Did you notice how scUM is the only one of the 3 "marquee names" mentioned in the seminal, and subsequent, articles not playing a NBC PT Nov night game????

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
There's going to be two Big Ten games on Black Friday in 2023, one on CBS and one on NBC. I believe the CBS game would be at noon. The NBC game I suppose would be at night, but might be in the afternoon. I agree with you that the articles just mentions PSU/MSU moving to Friday, not about it being a night game.

With Nebraska/Iowa being on Black Friday as well, it's quite possible PSU/MSU will be at noon and the Iowa/Nebraska game will be the later game given time zones (the Big Ten tends to have the Eastern Time Zone play in earlier slots). The article really just makes it seem like the issue was really about getting a second game for Black Friday when NBC was planning to broadcast then about night games specifically for that day,
I think it will be reversed at PSU's and MSU's request. Since PSU nor MSU were planning for a short week they will want a later prime time kickoff on Black Friday to grab a few extra hours. There is not another game the the following week except the Big Ten Championship the following Sat so enough time in between.

Nebby and Iowa always play earlier so no change for them. A prime time game helps recoup some of the revenue for NBC. My guess is a 8pm EST kickoff for PSU vs MSU.

According to linked article:
Penn State will play on the road in a short week on Black Friday against Michigan State, a game that was scheduled before Penn State agreed to it. Ohio State will host Michigan State on Nov. 11, the latest-ever home night game in Ohio State history, which is viewed as another concession to help the league through this moment.

Honest question. Who care if the B2G plays night games in November? This policy seems very antiquated. And, with expansion looming, the bulk of these games could, after this year, could be scheduled in CA and whatever more temperate climates the B2G expands into.

Honest question. Who care if the B2G plays night games in November? This policy seems very antiquated. And, with expansion looming, the bulk of these games could, after this year, could be scheduled in CA and whatever more temperate climates the B2G expands into.
I think the issue is fan convenience for games that could be very, very cold. Black Friday could easily be 10 degrees with a 20 mph wind. That would really hurt attendance, fan participation and thus, local economies. it certainly isn't a problem for TV viewing and that is why the networks want the games at night; more people watch TV at night than during the day.

Its all about money, as it always is. I am unsure if it is a real problem for the players. I don't see one. NFL often plays in really bad weather to fulfill their TV obligations. But this has been, apparently, a rule (written or unwritten) and the B1G screwed up by committing to this.

SCUM won't play in November at night, only PSU, OSU and MSU.

Did you notice how every article, including the last one from a pro-Michigan Outlet, only said that scUM pushed back against NBC and refused to play a Nov PT night game that NBC thought they were entitled to without scUM's approval (they're clearly talking about a PR Whiteout @TheBeav) - not a word about FOX taking the game or anything else, ONLY that scUM refused to play based on their "tolerance right of refusal" that Warren had signed away and told NBC that they could schedule marquee Nov PT games without the approval of the teams - scUM refused to honor the deal Warren cut and that caused NBC to say "breach" and that they were cutting their payments under the new contract due to financial harm caused then due to the breach of contract. Again, nothing about FOX or anything else - only that scUM killed the PT Whiteout and refused to play it.

• Love
I think the issue is fan convenience for games that could be very, very cold. Black Friday could easily be 10 degrees with a 20 mph wind. That would really hurt attendance, fan participation and thus, local economies. it certainly isn't a problem for TV viewing and that is why the networks want the games at night; more people watch TV at night than during the day.

Its all about money, as it always is. I am unsure if it is a real problem for the players. I don't see one. NFL often plays in really bad weather to fulfill their TV obligations. But this has been, apparently, a rule (written or unwritten) and the B1G screwed up by committing to this.

That's utter nonsense - PSU has played tons of night game in Nov. In 2016 PSU played duhO$U in a PT Whiteout the last week of October and played Iowa in a Nov PT kickoff a couple weeks later. Your suggestion that playing scUM in a PT Whiteout in Nov this year would cause the game to be less than a sellout is utterly laughable and pure bullshit - it would not hurt attendance to play scUM in a PT Whiteout this year - quite the opposite in fact. Your suggestion to the contrary is absurd.

• Love
That's utter nonsense - PSU has played tons of night game in Nov. In 2016 PSU played duhO$U in a PT Whiteout the last week of October and played Iowa in a Nov PT kickoff a couple weeks later. Your suggestion that playing scUM in a PT Whiteout in Nov this year would cause the game to be less than a sellout is utterly laughable and pure bullshit - it would not hurt attendance to play scUM in a PT Whiteout this year - quite the opposite in fact. Your suggestion to the contrary is absurd.
We certainly haven't been playing "tons of night games in November"...I don't believe we played a single one under the last contract.

And your whole "woe is us, Michigan refuses to help out the conference" is ironic when we've stated that we refused to play a Friday night game under the last contract. Your whole refusal to consider that the night game Michigan was being pushed to play was anything other than the PSU game is odd, especially with the Fox Noon games being such a big driver on all of the big conference games these days.

We certainly haven't been playing "tons of night games in November"...I don't believe we played a single one under the last contract.

And your whole "woe is us, Michigan refuses to help out the conference" is ironic when we've stated that we refused to play a Friday night game under the last contract. Your whole refusal to consider that the night game Michigan was being pushed to play was anything other than the PSU game is odd, especially with the Fox Noon games being such a big driver on all of the big conference games these days.
Correct. Penn State refused to host Friday night games under the prior contract. Penn State as well as Michigan and Ohio State have some power here. It being at Michigan State gives them more power.

This from the same know-it-all scUM jerk that lectured me about Michigan not having a right of refusal under the current contract.... so it wasn't possible that scUM refused a Nov PT game based on the "old right of refusal".... blah, blah, blah. Weird, but NBC is saying scUM absolutely refusing to play a Nov PT game that they had a contractual right to schedule at night without approval being required from either school. And because scUM is refusing to play, they are threatening to decrease payments on the contract by $70 million ($5 million per team) due to lost revenues unless the B1G and NBC can come up with an amicable solution to replace the lost revenues.

• Love

So now you admit that you're wrong with all your bloviating about how scUM didn't have any rights of refusal on Nov PT night kickoffs for telecasters???? Is that correct know-it-all?

Last edited:

Your bullshit about a Noon Kickoff generating more interest and being more lucrative than a PSU PT Whiteout Telecast is positively hysterical [insert eyeroll]. Obviously NBC doesn't agree with you based on their threatening to pull $70 million in payments due to scUM's "pushback" on (i.e., refusal to play) Nov PT games.

• Love
October is not equal to November. That game was played on October 16th. Black Friday, this year, is Nov. 26th. That is a BIG difference.

Aside from that, you are confusing multiple posts. I never said anything about UM in a whiteout not selling out. I stated that a UM whiteout would be difficult because people need to wear coats. I don't know about you, but I don't own a white coat. Then I stated that a night game in late nov could result in a lack of attendance if it was really cold.

s648707_f_r_darker_wavs_filter_high_neck_puffer_shrug_jacket_off_white_233083_0098_23_05_11.jpg

Your bullshit about a Noon Kickoff generating more interest and being more lucrative than a PSU PT Whiteout Telecast is positively hysterical [insert eyeroll]. Obviously NBC doesn't agree with you based on their threatening to pull $70 million in payments due to scUM's "pushback" on (i.e., refusal to play) Nov PT games.
You're really on a roll today Bushy...I never said that a noon kickoff "generates more interest" or "is more lucrative"...it's simply that Fox has made clear that they want their biggest games at noon; so, in weeks that Fox selects first, it's likely that game will fall at noon. And it's extremely possible that Fox is going to carry the Michigan-PSU game this season, and if they do, it's very likely to be a noon kick (if we both live up to our billing).

And yet again, you take these nuggets of information and draw this concrete conclusions on them...we know that Michigan was pushing back on a November night game because they didn't believe it's allowed under the contract. And, we know that NBC is looking to drop the value of the contract due to various items that were mentioned in some articles. However, that does not mean that they were going to have the Michigan game in prime time.

So now you admit that you're wrong with all your bloviating about how scUM didn't have any rights of refusal on Nov PT night kickoffs for telecasters???? Is that correct know-it-all?
What are you even talking about Bushy? Everyone had some level of "veto" rights for some November games in the past, based on all reports. It was a pretty well known fact, so no idea what this rant is supposed to be referencing.

This from the same know-it-all scUM jerk that lectured me about Michigan not having a right of refusal under the current contract.... so it wasn't possible that scUM refused a Nov PT game based on the "old right of refusal".... blah, blah, blah. Weird, but NBC is saying scUM absolutely refusing to play a Nov PT game that they had a contractual right to schedule at night without approval being required from either school. And because scUM is refusing to play, they are threatening to decrease payments on the contract by $70 million ($5 million per team) due to lost revenues unless the B1G and NBC can come up with an amicable solution to replace the lost revenues.
And yet again Bushy, just because someone brings some facts to the table that aren't blindly loyal to PSU doesn't make them a bad fan. I'm a "scUM jerk" (quite embarrassing than an adult would actually type those words) even though I'm a PSU grad and support all PSU sports quite strongly, because I understand some of the parameters of the last B1G TV contract? Show me where I stated that Michigan (and all schools) didn't have some veto rights on November games with the last contract.

I don’t think it’s really an issue of November night games in general. There have been many threads here over the years bitching about the Big Ten’s ‘no night games in November’ policy.

It’s more of everyone but Michigan, (last I heard), jumping in to fill a critical need and save the contract payout thanks to Warren’s incompetence.

If Michigan isn’t going to help out then they should lose their cut of the NBC $$$ everyone is trying to save with these night games. I’ve heard people saying it’s roughly $5 million per school that is on the line (???).

Let’s face it, we’re about to head into an era of December playoffs. I guarantee you some of them will be at night so the Big Ten better grow up quickly from the very provincial attitudes they have about their special “tolerances”.

Last edited:
Reactions: RickinDayton
It's not clear, but from what I have seen from people with connections it will likely be something like FOX gets first choice 50% of the weeks and CBS and NBC each get first choice 25% of the weeks. But that is probably for 2024 and subsequently anyway as 2023 is an odd year of the contract with CBS still having the SEC and the Big Ten not having added USC/UCLA yet.

That being said, the "$1 Billion a year" number is the total package from all of FOX, CBS and NBC - not just one of those networks.
Gotcha. Thanks for your insight. I know you have a pretty good grasp of these things. Would be interesting to see the process for selecting games. I know in the past the selection order/process was available.

And yet again Bushy, just because someone brings some facts to the table that aren't blindly loyal to PSU doesn't make them a bad fan. I'm a "scUM jerk" (quite embarrassing than an adult would actually type those words) even though I'm a PSU grad and support all PSU sports quite strongly, because I understand some of the parameters of the last B1G TV contract? Show me where I stated that Michigan (and all schools) didn't have some veto rights on November games with the

That's not what you said earlier. I never claimed the last contract didn't have a right of refusal - quite the opposite know-it-all. You're now trying to spin what you said ealier like the arrogant jagoff you are. Another poser-poster attempted to claim that scUM could not have possibly killed the game as a Primetime Whiteout on NBC (NBC is called "The Primetime Partner" in the new contract) because all B1G teams gave these rights up under the new contract (IOW, said scUM couldn't possibly have blocked the game as a Primetime Whiteout because they no longer had this right under the new contract):

That was a rule previously. The new contract conceded that.

You then chimed in with the following jerky gem when I said that the article in the seminal post of this thread suggests otherwise via a quote from the scUM AD regarding a conversation he had with an NBC (the "Primetime Partner" in the new contract) Executive:

It was actually according to some that understand the TV contracts.

And your "It was" reference above is directly to the claim that the "right of refusal" on Nov PT night games by B1G teams had been eliminated and "conceded" away in the New Contract (as a specific reason why [and excuse for] scUM couldn't possibly have blocked the PSU game as a PT Whiteout because they no longer even had that right - it was "conceded" away in the New Contract.

Well you were WRONG know-it-all -- scUM definitely did block a Nov Primetime NBC Game that generated the antagonistic conversation between the NBC Executive and the scUM AD discussed in the article and resulted in NBC going back to the new B1G Commissioner and telling them they were deducting some $70 million in payments under the New Contract due to this breach of contract and lost revenues (Warren had negotiated away scUM's "tolerance rights" in the New Contract with NBC - he's the Commissioner and almost certainly has the Legal Authority to do this - NBC can't negotiate with both the Conference Commissioner and each individual school, that's not how it works, but scUM said they didn't care and the clause wasn't binding on them.... again, causing NBC to instantly claim breach and to threaten to remove some $70 million in payments unless another amicable solution could be reached that replaced the lost revenues....).

Again, you were WRONG in your support of the party who claimed scUM did not block a Nov night game (Whiteout or otherwise) because they didn't have the ability to do so as their "tolerance refusal rights" no longer existed in the New Contract (and said this to adamantly claim I was wrong that scUM blocked the game based on it being a Nov night game....) - and you strongly supported him. Again, you were wrong know-it-all... scUM is still blocking any potential PSU Whoteout based on it being a November night game and their "right of refusal" on such games.

You are now trying the bullshit spinning technique of claiming things that I never said - not only didn't say, but said the exact opposite (i.e., scUM had used the "tolerance right of refusal" regarding Nov night games to block Whiteout games under the old contract. You're trying to say I made claims which are diametrically false - fairly typical of your arrogant a-hole self.

Last edited:
  • Love
Interesting how this came about…..Warren agreeing to PT games in Nov without going to the schools for approval. And now these schools are complaining and one refusing to cooperate. But what does their league contract say? And what did the league’s contract with Warren say?

Do the school contracts with the league give permission for scheduling and negotiating schedules? If those ‘tolerances’ or whatever they call them aren’t in writing they are meaningless. And dI’d the league’s contract with Warren allow him such powers?

For this to be such a major matter of dissent shows a very poor organizational structure and control. And poor management by both the athletic departments and boards of trustees ( or Regents or whatever Important Very Title they go by) of each school.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Interesting how this came about…..Warren agreeing to PT games in Nov without going to the schools for approval. And now these schools are complaining and one refusing to cooperate. But what does their league contract say? And what did the league’s contract with Warren say?

Do the school contracts with the league give permission for scheduling and negotiating schedules? If those ‘tolerances’ or whatever they call them aren’t in writing they are meaningless. And dI’d the league’s contract with Warren allow him such powers?

For this to be such a major matter of dissent shows a very poor organizational structure and control. And poor management by both the athletic departments and boards of trustees ( or Regents or whatever Important Very Title they go by) of each school.

There is only one of the 3 "marquee" schools specifically mentioned (PSU, duhO$U and scUM) that is refusing to play a Nov Primetime game for the New Contract's "Primetime Partner", NBC - and the seminal article only references one school defending themselves in regards to rebuking NBC about a Nov Primetime Game they were refusing (a refusal that caused NBC to go back to the New B1G Commissioner and threaten to withhold significant sums of payments on the grounds of breach of contract and lost revenues). So what does that tell you about what game NBC went to scUM about.... and what game scUM refused to play based on "tolerance right of refusal" privileges that no longer existed???

• Love
You then chimed in with the following jerky gem when I said that the article in the seminal post of this thread suggests otherwise via a quote from the scUM AD regarding a conversation he had with an NBC (the "Primetime Partner" in the new contract) Executive:

Every article that came out about the new contract stated NBC bought in with plans to host 730 night games.

Every post you make is jerky. Please continue to be a board fool.

So what does that tell you about what game NBC went to scUM about.... and what game scUM refused to play based on "tolerance right of refusal" privileges that no longer existed???

Purdue and Maryland are also November Michigan games. What information do you have to say it wasn't either of those?

There is only one of the 3 "marquee" schools specifically mentioned (PSU, duhO$U and scUM) that is refusing to play a Nov Primetime game for the New Contract's "Primetime Partner", NBC - and the seminal article only references one school defending themselves in regards to rebuking NBC about a Nov Primetime Game they were refusing (a refusal that caused NBC to go back to the New B1G Commissioner and threaten to withhold significant sums of payments on the grounds of breach of contract and lost revenues). So what does that tell you about what game NBC went to scUM about.... and what game scUM refused to play based on "tolerance right of refusal" privileges that no longer existed???
And not one of those points had any relevance to my post…..

The contract isn’t “officially” signed and small details are apparently being finalized. I think the point is that the new contract does not allow for these “tolerances” and as the details worked the ways to the schools, some were upset at the lose of veto power and complained. Personally I think it’s ludicrous as the conference announced these big new TV deals including prime time games on NBC all season so how could anyone be surprised? How would that even work if no school would be obligated to fill those spots?

Anyhow, it’s just griping now and the conference teams will have to accept the fact that they’ll have no veto ability once the contract is finalized and in force. Probably won’t make a big difference anyway with USC/UCLA coming on board who are likely to take some of those Nov nighttime slots in the fewer leaving fewer for other teams to be involved in.

Edit: also, the “schools” agreed to the TV deals and approved them but that’s the school presidents. It’s the coaches and ADs that may be bitching but they don’t make that call to approve such deals.

The contract isn’t “officially” signed and small details are apparently being finalized. I think the point is that the new contract does not allow for these “tolerances” and as the details worked the ways to the schools, some were upset at the lose of veto power and complained. Personally I think it’s ludicrous as the conference announced these big new TV deals including prime time games on NBC all season so how could anyone be surprised? How would that even work if no school would be obligated to fill those spots?

Anyhow, it’s just griping now and the conference teams will have to accept the fact that they’ll have no veto ability once the contract is finalized and in force. Probably won’t make a big difference anyway with USC/UCLA coming on board who are likely to take some of those Nov nighttime slots in the fewer leaving fewer for other teams to be involved in.

Edit: also, the “schools” agreed to the TV deals and approved them but that’s the school presidents. It’s the coaches and ADs that may be bitching but they don’t make that call to approve such deals.
I was not discussing the new tv contracts. I was discussing the contracts between the schools and league and what powers were granted to the league, long before this tv contract negotiations even began. Further, what powers did the league award Warren with is contract. All of which preceded the new tv contracts.

It is my guess that the league has far more power than the schools understand…..or the schools know but are now unhappy about.

I think it will be reversed at PSU's and MSU's request. Since PSU nor MSU were planning for a short week they will want a later prime time kickoff on Black Friday to grab a few extra hours. There is not another game the the following week except the Big Ten Championship the following Sat so enough time in between.

Nebby and Iowa always play earlier so no change for them. A prime time game helps recoup some of the revenue for NBC. My guess is a 8pm EST kickoff for PSU vs MSU.
And that is all I can hope for at this point. For the last 2 years we have travelled to my potential future in-laws parents' massive Thanksgiving feast in CT. Friday has been the ~5 hour drive home. Noon or 3:30 game would make me change plans and possibly spend anther night...7:30 or 8pm I'll be home on my couch by the fire! It will be what it will be but I'm ok with it.

Purdue and Maryland are also November Michigan games. What information do you have to say it wasn't either of those?

You funny scUM troll-boy.... I thought I was wrong that scUM couldn't cancel any game based on it being a Nov night game because they don't possess that right and ability anymore??? Signing a different tune now that you've been proven absolutely WRONG that scUM absolutely did refuse a Nov night game that the New Contract's "Primetime Partner", NBC, had the contractual rights to despite you saying it wasn't possible. LMAO - so I'm actually RIGHT that scUM told the New Contract's "Primetime Partner" that they refused to play any game at night in Nov contrary to your earlier claims that I couldn't possibly be RIGHT because scUM possessed no ability to do such a thing, yes???

LMAO, now it's the Purdue or Maryland game that NBC was so upset about scUM refusing to play in breach of their Contractual Rights as the New Contract's "Primetime Partner" (to the tune of a claim of massive lost revenues for the contractual breach)? LMAO, good one!

What road game in November do you think they want Michigan to play at night? Let's not pretend we'd agree to that either. It happened because it's at MSU. The powers that be at Penn State would never allow that game against Michigan to be in prime time if FOX didn't want it at noon regardless.

Apparently some, actually one, does as it is clear what set NBC off (threatening to withhold some $70 million in payments due to lost revenue) and the scUM AD is quoted effectively admitting that he refused to play a Primetime game in Nov for the New Contract's "Primetime Partner", NBC, based on still possessing "tolerance right of refusal" privileges re: Nov night games (scUM AD even relays specifics of his conversation with a NBC Exec on this exact matter -- refusing a Nov night game based on the claim that scUM retains "tolerance right of refusal" privileges under new contract). scUM is also the only one of the 3 "marquee" Conference programs mentioned that is not playing an NBC Nov Primetime Game.... so I'm not sure you're correct that the schools will accept it - the more correct statement would be all but one of the schools will accept it.

now it's the Purdue or Maryland game that NBC was so upset about scUM refusing to play in breach of their Contractual Rights as the New Contract's "Primetime Partner" (to the tune of a claim of massive lost revenues for the contractual breach)? LMAO, good one

If this was about avoiding a prime time White Out, why wouldn't they agree to Purdue or Maryland at night?

If you want to claim some level of heroics because the information has changed and is probably still not done changing, go ahead.

It'll all come out in the wash.

You funny scUM troll-boy.... I thought I was wrong that scUM couldn't cancel any game based on it being a Nov night game because they don't possess that right and ability anymore??? Signing a different tune now that you've been proven absolutely WRONG that scUM absolutely did refuse a Nov night game that the New Contract's "Primetime Partner", NBC, had the contractual rights to despite you saying it wasn't possible. LMAO - so I'm actually RIGHT that scUM told the New Contract's "Primetime Partner" that they refused to play any game at night in Nov contrary to your earlier claims that I couldn't possibly be RIGHT because scUM possessed no ability to do such a thing, yes???

LMAO, now it's the Purdue or Maryland game that NBC was so upset about scUM refusing to play in breach of their Contractual Rights as the New Contract's "Primetime Partner" (to the tune of a claim of massive lost revenues for the contractual breach)? LMAO, good one!
Save some of this for the season bushwood. You’re in mid season form and it’s only May.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
If this was about avoiding a prime time White Out, why wouldn't they agree to Purdue or Maryland at night?

If you want to claim some level of heroics because the information has changed and is probably still not done changing, go ahead.

It'll all come out in the wash.

You're a little mixed up as usual..... The way these contracts work is the "Primetime Partner" gets to select the games they are paying a couple hundred mil for, not scUM. LMAO.

Do people actually think Penn State wants a night game in November at home? Seriously? Let's not act like fools here. We all know better.

Well, that's interesting... Of course the Lions are playing in that stadium the day before, don't know if that's a good thing or a bad one in terms of encouraging fans would would otherwise root for the Spartans to attend.

Getting this out there now might I suppose encourage some more PSU fans to travel. I mean, Black Friday in Detroit is a lot easier to get to than East Lansing.

Think of all the crappy weather we have faced in East Lansing!!!! We will be WAY faster than them and weather will not even the situation.

Not to mention how much we have recruited the Detroit Area recently and should have at least 2 starters from there.

This move by the B1G just led PSU to a 4 TD win.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT