ADVERTISEMENT

PSU starting to hit Cali harder? Will USC/UCLA joining the Big Ten help our Cali recruiting.

I’m not sure how many California kids would come East to play at Penn St and deal with the distance and weather. That said, it can’t hurt to try picking up the recruiting there. Maybe push for UCLA to be a permanent opponent for continuous exposure in California?

I’m not sure how many California kids would come East to play at Penn St and deal with the distance and weather.

Get these kids NIL and into the NFL and you won't hear any complaints about the weather or location.

These same kids travel to UGA and Bama and distance is never brought up. It usually never is unless a guy can't win a starting job.

Couldn't hurt to try to recruit some California kids under the right circumstances, but it would likely be more difficult to persuade them compared to other recruits and might not be worth the effort if it was low yield. Probably easier to focus on Florida in terms of talent rich areas.

Last edited:
Get these kids NIL and into the NFL and you won't hear any complaints about the weather or location.

These same kids travel to UGA and Bama and distance is never brought up. It usually never is unless a guy can't win a starting job.
This^^^^^^
100% accurate. Location doesn't mean much in this era. It's about playing time and developing them for the NFL.

BWI did a show on our California recruiting. Just had this kid visit. Top 100 recruit. DT nonetheless.

Step 1: Make a few road trips to Southern California University and Cal Westwood Village and no longer be known as “the university of Penn state”.

Looking forward to the increased visibility of Penn State out here and the ability to see several games a year in person in various sports. Can only help with recruiting, I would think.

Edit: By the way, I live in Phoenix, not LA, and I would say based on my experience of living here that the increased visibility will extend to Arizona and Nevada, and maybe Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado too. Not hotbeds of talent, but there are occasional stars. Not sure how USC and UCLA leaving the Pac 12 will change that effect, though.

Last edited:
Couldn't hurt to try to recruit some California kids under the right circumstances, but it would likely be more difficult to persuade them compared to other recruits and might not be worth the effort if it was low yield. Probably easier to focus on Florida in terms of talent rich areas.
We heard that same nonsensical argument about kids from Texas....Alabama...Ga...FL... etc for years. This isn't 1950.

We heard that same nonsensical argument about kids from Texas....Alabama...Ga...FL... etc for years. This isn't 1950.
What nonsense argument? PSU is fully capable of grabbing kids from anywhere but at some point you have to allocate resources to recruiting where it will have the highest yield. you can’t recruit everyone.

Who in the hell said recruit everyone from everywhere. And why the hell wouldn't you recruit somebody who wanted to be at your University from California Arizona or even Punxsutawney. Stop wiggling on the narrative.

Who in the hell said recruit everyone from everywhere. And why the hell wouldn't you recruit somebody who wanted to be at your University fit your programs needs and had values a picture program from California Arizona or even Punxsutawney. Stop wiggling on the narrative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT