ADVERTISEMENT

Football PSU @ Purdue moved to Thursday night

I agree with both of you but starting the holiday weekend on Thursday night with an away game at Purdue seems pretty cool.

Is this, what, our 12th away game to start the B1G season in the last 13 years?

From cbs
"Penn State is scheduled to begin its next college football season with a Big Ten road game for the third consecutive year.'

A B1G road opener is less of an issue if it's the 5th game of the season. The conference making psu open the season on the road for 3 straight years is BS. Let's see if this gets balanced out over time. Hopefully Franklin and Sandy are making a stink.

In other news, Pitt announces its spring game will be played on April 9. That's 4/09.

Pitt fans were also super excited about their opener on 9/1 vs. WVU, thinking they were going to have the national spotlight all to themselves. Now even most of the Pittsburgh market won't be watching their game.

Reactions: bison13
An interesting fact:
Penn State has been on the road 21 out of 30 years for their first conference game.
I wonder how that matches up with the rest of the League?
If every team has to play the same number of home and road games, why should this matter? If anything, it probably is good to get the first road game out of the way early.

In recent years, OSU has started the season with Thursday night games at IU and Minnesota, and we're not OSU. So if it's good for them, it certainly is good for PSU.
from a team perspective, I like it. You get the once-a-year Thursday game out of the way early. Point being you don't get the short week game which is always a problem. Second, you get 9 days after Purdue to learn from your first game, digest and make adjustments.

Good deal IMO. Team will be fired up for a national broadcast. Lively crowd. Lot better than playing in a boring, half full stadium on a holiday weekend. And playing well shows the world we are back.

And Clifford should be healthy and play quite well.

from a team perspective, I like it. You get the once-a-year Thursday game out of the way early. Point being you don't get the short week game which is always a problem. Second, you get 9 days after Purdue to learn from your first game, digest and make adjustments.
We need 9 days to get ready for Ohio U?

Last edited:
If every team has to play the same number of home and road games, why should this matter? If anything, it probably is good to get the first road game out of the way early.

You're kidding, right?

You're kidding, right?
No, I'm not. I believe that a road team has a better chance to win conference games earlier in the season. Take last season for instance. There's no way that PSU would've won at Camp Randall if that game had been played later in the season.

An interesting fact:
Penn State has been on the road 21 out of 30 years for their first conference game.
I wonder how that matches up with the rest of the League?

I wish someone would ask Franklin about this in a media session. I'd like to get at least a sense of the PSU prospective on the situation.

I've often wondered if PSU has actually preferred this to be the case. From a distribution of home games (and ticket sales) standpoint, we are always heavy in September with home games given the non-conference games are at home far more often than away (5:1 ratio) so having our first conference game away helps to balance out the home/away distribution. Otherwise, you can get into situations (not 2022 though) where you might have home games 4 consecutive weeks which can be tough for season ticket holders.

Reactions: Fayette_LION
It sucks for those of us that travel to road games.
I kind of like it for the opener on a holiday weekend.. I get to make it a really long weekend started off with a Penn State game. Plus travel days won't be the same as everyone else that weekend so might be easier.

I wish someone would ask Franklin about this in a media session. I'd like to get at least a sense of the PSU prospective on the situation.

I've often wondered if PSU has actually preferred this to be the case. From a distribution of home games (and ticket sales) standpoint, we are always heavy in September with home games given the non-conference games are at home far more often than away (5:1 ratio) so having our first conference game away helps to balance out the home/away distribution. Otherwise, you can get into situations (not 2022 though) where you might have home games 4 consecutive weeks which can be tough for season ticket holders.
Knowing our admin they probably want the opener on the road because they are almost always on Labor Day weekend. Most students home, people have other plans, stadium not even close to full= less money.

Love it. Great opportunity to kick off the season on National TV and everyone gets an early look at both teams. Although not easy, it’s not as tough as playing Wisky in Madison and plenty of time to prepare and be ready. Both teams retuning 6th year QB’s, but with our overall breadth & depth of talent, I like our chances vs Purdue, if we avoid turnovers and execute as expected.

I agree with both of you but starting the holiday weekend on Thursday night with an away game at Purdue seems pretty cool.

Is this, what, our 12th away game to start the B1G season in the last 13 years?
At this point it does not really matter. If we are ever going to get back to an elite status, we should be able to go into any Big Ten stadium and win. That includes Ohio State, Michigan and certainly Purdue no matter how much they have improved.

Reactions: GulfCoastLion
At this point it does not really matter. If we are ever going to get back to an elite status, we should be able to go into any Big Ten stadium and win. That includes Ohio State, Michigan and certainly Purdue no matter how much they have improved.
I agree except for the optics. We simply are showing the world how little respect the B1G has for our program. Others, perhaps more important than us, see it too.

Reactions: indoorgolf
I agree except for the optics. We simply are showing the world how little respect the B1G has for our program. Others, perhaps more important than us, see it too.
We can either wallow in being victims, or succeed in spite or the obstacles.

Reactions: m48tank
No, I'm not. I believe that a road team has a better chance to win conference games earlier in the season. Take last season for instance. There's no way that PSU would've won at Camp Randall if that game had been played later in the season.

I agree that PSU would not have won that game late, but I don't think it had anything to do with Wisky or location of the game. PSU was a very different team after injuries to SC and a few others.

But all things being equal, early in the season, when a team is figuring things out, I'd rather have the home field advantage, which is an undeniably real thing.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
We can either wallow in being victims, or succeed in spite or the obstacles.
Humbly, you can work to succeed through adversity while also pointing out and asking the league for some parity in how they do scheduling.
It would be interesting to see how many other teams have started the last 3 years with a B1G road game and how many have started 21 of the last 30 conference schedules on the road. Further, the scheduling PSU seems to receive annually of the 2-3 toughest opponents being back to back to back while at least one of the opponents is coming off a bye week is always curious. There seems to be an intentional pattern that should at least warrant some questions and comparisons.

Last edited:
Humbly, you can work to success through adversity while also pointing out and asking the league for some parity in how they do scheduling.
It would be interesting to see how many other teams have started the last 3 years with a B1G road game and how many have started 21 of the last 30 conference schedules on the road. Further, the scheduling PSU seems to receive annually of the 2-3 toughest opponents being back to back to back while at least one of the opponents is coming off a bye week is always curious. There seems to be an intentional pattern that should at least warrant some questions and comparisons.
Point taken, but IMO that would be the job of Sandy and PSU Administration behind the scene. Constantly bitching and complaining about it comes off as an excuse for failure. Our program goal should be getting good enough that the other schools are complaining about having to play us first.

Reactions: m48tank
Point taken, but IMO that would be the job of Sandy and PSU Administration behind the scene. Constantly bitching and complaining about it comes off as an excuse for failure. Our program goal should be getting good enough that the other schools are complaining about having to play us first.
Fully agree. That's why I said, "hopefully Franklin and Sandy are raising a stink." Given that there hasn't been anything publicly done, that would put those efforts behind the scene. That said, if OSU/scUM was getting the scheduling PSU is, I highly doubt that their fans and admin would just ignore it and talk about overcoming obstacles.

Reactions: SR108
Fully agree. That's why I said, "hopefully Franklin and Sandy are raising a stink." Given that there hasn't been anything publicly done, that would put those efforts behind the scene. That said, if OSU/scUM was getting the scheduling PSU is, I highly doubt that their fans and admin would just ignore it and talk about overcoming obstacles.

Well, during the change of the 2022 schedules, the configuration of having bigger games back to back was improved. So maybe some stuff has happened behind the scenes?

Reactions: heckmans and SR108
I don't think that playing on Thursday/Friday has the stigma it once did. If it's good enough for Ohio State, it's good enough for PSU.
We were scheduled to play UVA the Thursday following 9/11. It was rescheduled to the end of the year,

Reactions: PSUoh90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT