ADVERTISEMENT

PSU on the frat warpath again

...another house the crooked university would love to get their hands on. This one comes w/ a double lot!

GB6A2813.jpg

This is just insane. Most fraternities have some number of brothers living outside the house and it makes no sense to hold the fraternity responsible for the actions of all its members anywhere in the PSU universe. Fraternities should only be held responsible for what transpires during sanctioned events.

...another house the crooked university would love to get their hands on. This one comes w/ a double lot!

GB6A2813.jpg

I see the article can’t even get the name of the fraternity correct...

IMHO Chi Phi = too far from campus for the University to hand over to some developer to exploit with a 10-story housing complex... they’d first target those within a couple blocks if campus ...

For crying out loud. Does this university not see the irony in blaming those associated with a tragedy and possible crime, that had nothing to do with it.

There has to be more to the story here, otherwise it is just the powerful taking down a powerful organization they loathe at the earliest convenience. Where have I seen that before?

For crying out loud. Does this university not see the irony in blaming those associated with a tragedy and possible crime, that had nothing to do with it.

There has to be more to the story here, otherwise it is just the powerful taking down a powerful organization they loathe at the earliest convenience. Where have I seen that before?

I agree. Initial report said they responded to the house where the teen was in full cardiac arrest. He was a hockey player from a high school in Erie. There has to be way more to the story then is being let out for them to instantly suspend the fraternity instead of waiting until the toxicology reports come out in 6 weeks. In my mind, there could be 2 potential causes. 1) drugs(fetanyl)\alcohol(red bull in something) or 2) there was an unknown genetic condition that would cause the cardiac arrest. Since the immediate suspending of the frat, I am leaning towards drugs\alcohol. Either way it is very very sad.

I agree. Initial report said they responded to the house where the teen was in full cardiac arrest. He was a hockey player from a high school in Erie. There has to be way more to the story then is being let out for them to instantly suspend the fraternity instead of waiting until the toxicology reports come out in 6 weeks. In my mind, there could be 2 potential causes. 1) drugs(fetanyl)\alcohol(red bull in something) or 2) there was an unknown genetic condition that would cause the cardiac arrest. Since the immediate suspending of the frat, I am leaning towards drugs\alcohol. Either way it is very very sad.
Well said.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Perhaps the kid was drinking, but it had no impact on his cardiac event. Perhaps unlikely but possible. I’m sure the details will be known soon.

I'm told that the death was caused by some sort of whippet or something like that where CO2 was inhaled and the brain was deprived of oxygen. Very sad, but not clear to me how this is connected to a frat house. Could have happened in a dorm.

It’s an indictment of America!!!

EDIT: that was in response to the animal house clip. This young man’s tragedy is no laughing matter. Got to assume the university determined the fraternity brothers were doing something they shouldn’t away from the house. But then, that requires us to assume favorably on the university’s response and unfairly on the fraternity brothers, etc.

There’s got to be more to this story. The reporting leaves huge gaps in the facts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mn78psu83
I'm told that the death was caused by some sort of whippet or something like that where CO2 was inhaled and the brain was deprived of oxygen. Very sad, but not clear to me how this is connected to a frat house. Could have happened in a dorm.
Every fraternity on campus knows the situation: every one of them is effectively “on notice” with the university and needs to watch themselves, especially at the frat houses.

In light of that, I wouldn’t be surprised if the collective fraternity response has been to do more informal house parties at the various off-campus houses or apartments that brothers live in. If I were to speculate, I’d think it’s very possible that this was effectively a frat party that just wasn’t at the frat house.

Every fraternity on campus knows the situation: every one of them is effectively “on notice” with the university and needs to watch themselves, especially at the frat houses.

In light of that, I wouldn’t be surprised if the collective fraternity response has been to do more informal house parties at the various off-campus houses or apartments that brothers live in. If I were to speculate, I’d think it’s very possible that this was effectively a frat party that just wasn’t at the frat house.
I don't know what "effectively a frat party" even means. Sounds like overpaid administrator bullshit.

Reactions: bmw199

Or not, but apparently you have no specific knowledge. Are you on the BOT or media?

Or not, but apparently you have no specific knowledge. Are you on the BOT or media?
Neither, but I don’t exactly see why I should give fraternities any benefit of the doubt, either. Don’t really care if the social club gets suspended if one of their members gives a 17 year old kid a bunch of whippets and the kid dies.

Reactions: odshowtime
Neither, but I don’t exactly see why I should give fraternities any benefit of the doubt, either. Don’t really care if the social club gets suspended if one of their members gives a 17 year old kid a bunch of whippets and the kid dies.
When this happens in a dorm, can we get rid of Barron and all of the useless Deans and their assistants?

When this happens in a dorm, can we get rid of Barron and all of the useless Deans and their assistants?
If Barron has a 17 year old guest in his house for a party and the kid mysteriously dies, I’d absolutely expect there to be an investigation and for there to be no other events at the president’s house until it’s figured out. Wouldn’t you?

If Barron has a 17 year old guest in his house for a party and the kid mysteriously dies, I’d absolutely expect there to be an investigation and for there to be no other events at the president’s house until it’s figured out. Wouldn’t you?

Actually this would be like suspending events at the president's house when such an event happened at one of the president's employee's houses.

That analogy is off the mark. If Barron's relative had a party at his own house and a kid mysteriously died, would you expect an investigation at Barron's house and for no events to be held at Barron's house until it's figured out?

Am I supposed to respond to this, given the fact that it's the opposite of what actually happened?

Reactions: BBrown
That analogy is off the mark. If Barron's relative had a party at his own house and a kid mysteriously died, would you expect an investigation at Barron's house and for no events to be held at Barron's house until it's figured out?
The analogy becomes a lot more accurate if (when?) it turns out that the house where this party occurred is what’s called a “satellite house,” where the only people who live there are frat brothers - nearly every large fraternity at Penn State has satellite houses. The analogy continues to be on the mark if the party is defined as a fraternity event because, under Penn State IFC rules, any event with more than a few frat brothers in attendance is considered to be an official fraternity event. Every fraternity knows that that’s the situation.

Maybe it’ll turn out that the kid died from completely natural causes, in which case the fraternity will only get nuked because they had an underage kid at a party with alcohol post-Piazza. If the kid really die from inhalants at the frat party, though, look out.

Years ago I was at a party at a hockey house at psu ( club days). Let's say if something happened at a hockey function, the university would probably step in.
If was considered a fraternity type of function, official or unofficial they might believe the fraternity is responsible somehow .
As others said, we don't know the facts yet.

The analogy becomes a lot more accurate if (when?) it turns out that the house where this party occurred is what’s called a “satellite house,” where the only people who live there are frat brothers - nearly every large fraternity at Penn State has satellite houses. The analogy continues to be on the mark if the party is defined as a fraternity event because, under Penn State IFC rules, any event with more than a few frat brothers in attendance is considered to be an official fraternity event. Every fraternity knows that that’s the situation.

Maybe it’ll turn out that the kid died from completely natural causes, in which case the fraternity will only get nuked because they had an underage kid at a party with alcohol post-Piazza. If the kid really die from inhalants at the frat party, though, look out.
Oh, I see. It's like the communicative property of interpersonal relationships. If A knows B and B dies at a party, then B is dead. However, if A knows B and B dies at a party, and A is also in a group, then group must die. Typical PSU dumb dumbness.

Reactions: bmw199
Maybe they should suspend the academic departments of the residents’ majors too. And close the high schools they attended. And shut down the clothing manufacturers that made their socks. And ...
clearly not giving enough homework.

You seem like you don't know much about this case, yet are telling us all who is and isn't on notice. Who are you again?

Have you even taken in the actual FACTS from the Beta Theta Pi case yet? You know, where the kid was a drug addict w/ pre-existing internal injuries? You were ready for kids to go to prison for decades for something they didn't do.

That makes you a contemptible jackass.

Reactions: denniskembala
Why are off campus frat houses even under the thumb of the university? Can’t they be independent? If a veteran student drank himself to death at the VFW, the university can do nothing.

Why are off campus frat houses even under the thumb of the university? Can’t they be independent? If a veteran student drank himself to death at the VFW, the university can do nothing.
This happened at a private, rented residence on West College Ave. Chi Phi is on the corner of Hamilton and Garner.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT