ADVERTISEMENT

PSU on the frat warpath again

I don't know what "effectively a frat party" even means. Sounds like overpaid administrator bullshit.
Its similar to this:

"I don't know what you would call it. Obviously, they were doing something with the youngster. It was a fraternity nature. I'm not exactly sure what it was".

Hence, it means whatever you want it to mean. Those who want to condemn the Greek system read that one way. Those who think that perhaps the youth had some accountability for his action(s) think another.

And, if the case is "just like" the Piazza case, then the University gets sued.

While I do not know exactly what theory PSU is liable for the Beta death, to the extent that it is because PSU was negligent in their oversight of Fraternities, I would think the satellite house scenario described in my earlier post is reasonably foreseeable and should need to be addressed to avoid potential liability. To the extent the Fraternity is ultimately determined to be liable for what happened in a private house, the university better have sufficient rules in place to cover their rear end.
I can tell you from personal experience that every national fraternity has such rules. There is also case law in many states that deals with what does and does not constitute a "fraternity event." Relevant questions would include: Were fraternity funds used to purchase alcohol, drugs or otherwise put on the party? Were members/pledges required to attend the event? Were members/pledges made aware of the event (such as by flyers or other publicity)? Did a fraternity social chairman or other fraternity officer help organize the event? How many members were in attendance? Did the university require advance registration of all social events, and how do university rules define "social events?" Were minors served alcohol? Was the server a fraternity member or was there a licensed bartender hired to serve alcohol?

You either side with liberty and freedom, or the University. Period. Enough of this crap. We all had friends die all through HS and college. Shit happens, and families and friends grieve. Back then, they didn't blame people and destroy institutions for profit. They looked in the mirror.

Here is what you weren't told about the Beta Theta Pi case (linked below). For good reason - because it's the same old song and dance. Prosecutors/Media/Pretend Victim/PSU Leadership vs. anyone who dare get in their way - a perfectly fair fight in their f***ed up world.

Read this and tell me who was right and who was wrong.

Last edited:
That is true most of the time. However, my daughter is a Freshman at a college in Florida and I attended parents weekend a few weeks ago. As you can imagine, the fraternity parties at the fraternity houses were relatively regulated and had a bunch of rules. Then my daughter took me to a fraternity party at a satellite house (i.e. not formally a fraternity house but rented by fraternity brothers) that everyone knew was affiliated with a certain fraternity and was manned by pledges of the fraternity. The fraternity apparently has these parties at this house all of the time and the brothers of the fraternity rent the house year after year. Although the fraternity had a beautiful house on campus, their big, blow out parties are held at the satellite house. The party was similar to the fraternity parties when I was at PSU back in the day with a lot of kegs and nobody getting carded at the door other than to see if you were on a list. I would be thoroughly surprised if the alcohol was purchased anybody other than the fraternity.

Being much older and more conservative than I once was, I looked around that party and saw nothing but a liability waiting to happen. As an example, there were 15 wasted students dancing on a table that looked like the legs were going to give at any time. Although the house was large, the house looked like it should be condemned.

I can tell you for sure that if and when somebody gets seriously injured at a party at this house, the lawyers are going after the fraternity. Further, despite the fact that the students are doing their own lawyering and trying to find loopholes in the fraternity rules to allow for such parties, to the extent that the Florida school is liable for fraternity sanctioned events, the Florida school is going to have a really hard time saying this was not a fraternity event. This type of liability is not something that can be ignored by Universities anymore. It is the unfortunate reality that exists today.

To the extent that someone will say the situation I described is much different than the current PSU situation, I challenge that person to write a rule that will ensure the University has properly addressed these satellite party situations that shields the University from liability for not having proper oversight over fraternities.
You went with your freshman daughter to said party as a middle aged adult........that she or you thought it was a good idea to take you?

I’m still trying to figure out what to conclude from that.....

Reactions: stormingnorm
You went with your freshman daughter to said party as a middle aged adult........that she or you thought it was a good idea to take you?

Umm, yeah. I hear this from parents all the time. Parents now attend frat parties with their kids these days and I have even heard stories about mom's dancing on tables.

I was tailgating with three of my pledge brothers all day on Saturday. Thank God none of us had a fatal cardiac arrest ... I would hate to see them suspend my fraternity for that.

NOTE: I am not trying to make light of a tragic death ... just trying to point out the absurdity of the university's action.

I was tailgating with three of my pledge brothers all day on Saturday. Thank God none of us had a fatal cardiac arrest ... I would hate to see them suspend my fraternity for that.

NOTE: I am not trying to make light of a tragic death ... just trying to point out the absurdity of the university's action.
And the person who went into cardiac arrest wasn’t even a fraternity brother not even in college.

What a douche bag post.

It was parents weekend. There were a lot of parents at all of the parties. In fact, the fraternities were catering to the parents. The football game was at 3:30 and the parties that I was taken to were essentially tailgate parties at the fraternity houses before the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU Soupy
When I saw this thread I was sure it was going to be mostly conspiracy laden, ax-grinding against the administration, flying off the handle posts.
Glad I was not let down.

Uh, that his daughter enjoys having him around and they have a relationship where this works for them? I'm assuming that he wasn't doing keg stands, gaming chicks, or closing the joint down, so what's the problem?

Umm, yeah. I hear this from parents all the time. Parents now attend frat parties with their kids these days and I have even heard stories about mom's dancing on tables.

You must be a blast at parties. Not that I would ever dance on a table (at a fraternity or anywhere else), but what is your problem with people having a good time and dancing. As long as the mom is just dancing and not doing anything inappropriate like taking clothes off or hitting on college students, what the heck do you care what the mom is doing to have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBigUglies
You must be a blast at parties. Not that I would ever dance on a table (at a fraternity or anywhere else), but what is your problem with people having a good time and dancing. As long as the mom is just dancing and not doing anything inappropriate like taking clothes off or hitting on college students, what the heck do you care what the mom is doing to have fun.

If you knew me and how I partied you would understand why I think it would be awkward with parents at frat parties. I was never a member of a frat but attended many during my days at PSU. My recollection of frat parties(back in the 80s) were off the hook and if my parents were there...I just couldn't imagine. Could be I am getting old and it is a generational thing but to see your kid or parent totally plastered, doing beer bongs, blowing foam in peoples faces and other body parts, dancing on tables the way girls dress these days(easy wardrobe malfunctioning clothing). Would just be totally awkward and I, as a parent, wouldn't want to be in that type of environment. Now, if the frat party was tame because there were parents there and more of a tailgate type atmosphere as opposed to a real frat party atmosphere, then that would be another story. Again, these were stories I have heard about parents at frat parties that sounded very awkward, so they may be embellished a bit.

Reactions: Ski
didn't see it mentioned, but this was on ABC national news last night (in my market at 6:30PM EST)

The analogy becomes a lot more accurate if (when?) it turns out that the house where this party occurred is what’s called a “satellite house,” where the only people who live there are frat brothers - nearly every large fraternity at Penn State has satellite houses. The analogy continues to be on the mark if the party is defined as a fraternity event because, under Penn State IFC rules, any event with more than a few frat brothers in attendance is considered to be an official fraternity event. Every fraternity knows that that’s the situation.

Maybe it’ll turn out that the kid died from completely natural causes, in which case the fraternity will only get nuked because they had an underage kid at a party with alcohol post-Piazza. If the kid really die from inhalants at the frat party, though, look out.
You're a complete clown

Chi Phi is off suspension and has been cleared of any wrong doing. Wait - you didn't read that in the USA Today or even the CDT?! Go ****ing figure.

Some of you a**holes can apologize for your ignorant, moronic comments now - of course that doesn't fix the front window that had a brick thrown through it the night the University suspended them and indirectly accused them of crimes they didn't commit, does it? Some SJW just basically doing what the University has told him/her to do. Resist Fraternities!!

Chi Phi should send that window repair bill straight to the fat man in the formerly great building in the middle of campus, because he's responsible.

The university can close down every fraternity house on and off campus, but if their intention is to control the overindulgence in alcohol or drugs they are doomed to fail.

Once all the fraternities are shut down and the overindulgence is limited to off campus housing and dorms, what is their next step? Ban everyone? They should remember that sometimes unintended consequences are worse than the original condition.

Reactions: mgkpsu

Tailgating at the football game? Maybe they should suspend the football team.

I hope Chi Pi sues Penn State for the suspension since now they'll forever be linked to that kid's death.

If you knew me and how I partied you would understand why I think it would be awkward with parents at frat parties. I was never a member of a frat but attended many during my days at PSU. My recollection of frat parties(back in the 80s) were off the hook and if my parents were there...I just couldn't imagine. Could be I am getting old and it is a generational thing but to see your kid or parent totally plastered, doing beer bongs, blowing foam in peoples faces and other body parts, dancing on tables the way girls dress these days(easy wardrobe malfunctioning clothing). Would just be totally awkward and I, as a parent, wouldn't want to be in that type of environment. Now, if the frat party was tame because there were parents there and more of a tailgate type atmosphere as opposed to a real frat party atmosphere, then that would be another story. Again, these were stories I have heard about parents at frat parties that sounded very awkward, so they may be embellished a bit.

You are comparing a tailgate to a house party. When the weather was really bad, we sometimes "tailgated" at the frat house on a Saturday morning/afternoon rather than set up in the grass lots on the south side. Parents often stopped by the house.

What went down at the tailgate party was far different than what went down at the house party the night before.

I hope Chi Pi sues Penn State for the suspension since now they'll forever be linked to that kid's death.

The rules are so tight these days, I doubt they would have anything. I would like to see them try, though....that might make the news.

Penn State is coming out with its national report on frats soon. I'm sure that won't be at all biased.

There seems to be a disproportionate level of furor here anytime the University does anything regarding frats I have noticed.

I mean "disproportionate furor" does tend to be the currency of choice for online message boards I know, but still.

There seems to be a disproportionate level of furor here anytime the University does anything regarding frats I have noticed.
Maybe to the uninformed headline readers - like you. To those that know the U's history w/ kangaroo courts and ridiculous payouts (all made possible via a partnership w/ the media) - these intelligent people realize and acknowledge that every ounce of angst is earned.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeparules

I mean "disproportionate furor" does tend to be the currency of choice for online message boards I know, but still.
Yeah. The weird thing is that anytime any of the same stuff happens outside a frat, no one notices at all.

Yeah. The weird thing is that anytime any of the same stuff happens outside a frat, no one notices at all.
This story was on the front page of the usa today. There's really no logical explanation for that.

Official coroner's report on the death was one too many whippets

https://www.centredaily.com/news/lo...ARlna6UA3GPuBB1Ku1kievwFRirHfqWysdv45TOVCGjlE

160954lrg_website.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT