ADVERTISEMENT

PSU football in the next 5 years ......

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
i believe beginning this year and most certainly next we will be about where we had been under Joe for the last decade or so (prior to the sanctions). We will beat just about every team on our schedule with the exception of the Big 2 (OSU and Michigan). Over the last 10-15 years that is who we were. To be sure it was not always the Big 2 as the challenge, there is always the occasional Wisc, Iowa, MSU, even NW with a good couple of years. So, to be where we were is just around the corner. BUT, the bigger prize will come in years 4-5 when we will be far more competitive with OSU and Michigan. When the matchup with them was THE game EVERY year, as it was when we first entered the Big 10.
When Joe tired we became the team of "once every four years". No, I am not just talking about championships, but being capable of winning EVERY game. I really believe Franklin will get us there. The evidence for me is there. I am really very realistic, at least I think I am.

I see the glass half full :)

WE ARE !!!!!

I appreciate optimism but I am more skeptical. I see our future (say 5 years out) as an annual top 10-20 team with an occasional foray into the top 10. I do not see us playing for a National Championship unless we get lucky or we adopt the SEC model.

I appreciate optimism but I am more skeptical. I see our future (say 5 years out) as an annual top 10-20 team with an occasional foray into the top 10. I do not see us playing for a National Championship unless we get lucky or we adopt the SEC model.

You could be right, but I see us more of like a Villanova (BB model). Very good players not the early out type (like you see at an OSU). So if we continually feed the program we could be very relevant every year. We were in the past. But, to your point if we made a real run at the MNC once every four years or so I would be good with that.

i believe beginning this year and most certainly next we will be about where we had been under Joe for the last decade or so (prior to the sanctions). We will beat just about every team on our schedule with the exception of the Big 2 (OSU and Michigan). Over the last 10-15 years that is who we were. To be sure it was not always the Big 2 as the challenge, there is always the occasional Wisc, Iowa, MSU, even NW with a good couple of years. So, to be where we were is just around the corner. BUT, the bigger prize will come in years 4-5 when we will be far more competitive with OSU and Michigan. When the matchup with them was THE game EVERY year, as it was when we first entered the Big 10.
When Joe tired we became the team of "once every four years". No, I am not just talking about championships, but being capable of winning EVERY game. I really believe Franklin will get us there. The evidence for me is there. I am really very realistic, at least I think I am.

WE ARE !!!!!

IMHO, the jury is still out on Franklin as a "football" coach. We know he can recruit. He seemed to do more with less at Vandy, but that hasn't happened at PSU. Was it the line or was Vandy an anomaly?
In my view, worst case, Franklin is like Steve Spurrier. The Ol' Ball Coach couldn't coach a lick. He recruited tall WRs and strong armed QBs who chucked it up and let the 6'3" WR out jump the 5"11 CB. In big games, they usually got out-coached/out-played and lost. One year, it all came together and Florida won a MNC.

Franklin is recruiting the talent to beat most teams and compete in every game.
In my mind, the question is whether that talent will be effectively coached to win the big games.

IMHO, the jury is still out on Franklin as a "football" coach. We know he can recruit. He seemed to do more with less at Vandy, but that hasn't happened at PSU. Was it the line or was Vandy an anomaly?
In my view, worst case, Franklin is like Steve Spurrier. The Ol' Ball Coach couldn't coach a lick. He recruited tall WRs and strong armed QBs who chucked it up and let the 6'3" WR out jump the 5"11 CB. In big games, they usually got out-coached/out-played and lost. One year, it all came together and Florida won a MNC.

In my mind, the question is whether that talent will be effectively coached to win the big games.

Who the frick are all these arseholes posting here. Effing trolls. Go away

Well, kind of see your point. But keep in mind he is only now starting to see "his" players and the beginning of "his" recruiting efforts. We always have a tendency to think our guys are better than they are - Hack - NOT a first rounder, nor are any of our DL guys. Zettle is projected to go 5-6 round along with Lucas, Johnson and Nassib 3-4th round. Point being we had some talent, not GREAT talent. I also think Franklin is learning to recruit this area better every day. NO you do not get them all, some are just NOT PSU. Joe was always good with that.

Franklin is really a couple of years away from a true recruiting cycle. Especially due to the mess of an OL.

Last edited:
I think the B1G East is the toughest division in football right now. (you can make a case for the SEC West). If none of the HCs move on, that means that tOSU, MSU, and Michigan will remain as the national powers they currently are. I think we'll join them soon. That means that every year there will be a dogfight between FOUR very strong teams. We -or any of them-could fail to win the division and still finish in the top ten.

I think the B1G East is the toughest division in football right now. (you can make a case for the SEC West). If none of the HCs move on, that means that tOSU, MSU, and Michigan will remain as the national powers they currently are. I think we'll join them soon. That means that every year there will be a dogfight between FOUR very strong teams. We -or any of them-could fail to win the division and still finish in the top ten.

FYI -- Michigan State has major problems this coming year at every position. Their spring practice is just putting on the pads (yesterday) with a spring game on April 23rd. Their coach and every commentator bemoans the 'fact' what they have lost to graduation and every position has backups that are not experienced and questionable talent. According to their DC -- they are just learning, the OC -- no QB and no OL.

Michigan football writers have named that spring practice session a 'circus' because of the comments of Harbaugh and his travel plans. He wants to keep Michigan football in the 'national public eye and consciousness'.

FYI -- Michigan State has major problems this coming year at every position. Their spring practice is just putting on the pads (yesterday) with a spring game on April 23rd. Their coach and every commentator bemoans the 'fact' what they have lost to graduation and every position has backups that are not experienced and questionable talent. According to their DC -- they are just learning, the OC -- no QB and no OL.

Michigan football writers have named that spring practice session a 'circus' because of the comments of Harbaugh and his travel plans. He wants to keep Michigan football in the 'national public eye and consciousness'.

I agree on MSU. Their history shows an inability to stay on "top". OSU and Michigan and PSU have a very long history of "being good". OSU, because of who they recruit is always good, Michigan is now on target with a blend of student-ATHLETE types, we are a few years away from the number of recruiting classes you need to have the depth to compete. I do not see us ever getting "better than" OSU and Michigan in the long hall, but we surely can compete in a few years. In short, it will not be a "miracle" for us to beat them.

Sounds like what they said about Mack Brown when I lived in Austin. I can live with that.

I agree on MSU. Their history shows an inability to stay on "top". OSU and Michigan and PSU have a very long history of "being good". OSU, because of who they recruit is always good, Michigan is now on target with a blend of student-ATHLETE types, we are a few years away from the number of recruiting classes you need to have the depth to compete. I do not see us ever getting "better than" OSU and Michigan in the long hall, but we surely can compete in a few years. In short, it will not be a "miracle" for us to beat them.
I'd only say that in Joe's prime, PSU was BETTER than Michigan and OSU. I only say that because I think we can be again.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
i believe beginning this year and most certainly next we will be about where we had been under Joe for the last decade or so (prior to the sanctions).

Next year. We're not ready this season. Balance and depth is still a concern, particularly when replacing an NFL QB and 3 NFL DL. 2017, get your popcorn ready.

We will beat just about every team on our schedule with the exception of the Big 2 (OSU and Michigan).

From 2005-2011, Penn State went 3-3 vs both Michigan and Ohio State (3-4 if you count OSU's forfeited win). That's pretty balanced

Moorhead is PSU's Head Coach in 2018. Mark it down.
13207377128fd71cd6cf7d4b43f27c91b83672698e0c1ab5df16c71d2f60cde4.jpg

Reactions: StinkStankStunk
Who the frick are all these arseholes posting here. Effing trolls. Go away

You clearly have no concept of what a troll is and no concept of how to rationally analyze a situation. Expectations for Franklin should be low at this point. Thus far he has not exceeded those low expectations so we do not realistically know what he is capable of. Some decisions seem to be head-scratchers that make you wonder, but who knows how much of it is driven by personnel and assistants who are no longer with the program.

WE ARE !!!!!
looking at roster and current signee class, in reality we need 5-7 years of classes like the current signing class until we are truly competitive nationally or at the top of the division (which is the same as nationally). That way we will have full roster of D1 players and account for the misses and injuries and washouts. We are all excited about recent classes, as we should be, but that is 2 classes toward what we need. But until we have that level recruits fully across all 5 possible years of a team we will not be truly competitive. This is not to take Franklin off the hook as I am not yet convinced of his ability to develop talent, and out scheme and out coach his opponents like Joe in his best decades. And if PSU teams keep showing like last year, don't know that Franklin will get enough years to recruit enough kids. The quality of play has to improve and that is coaching, but in fairness we will not be truly competitive even with great coaching for 3-5 more years, assuming we keep recruiting like this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT