ADVERTISEMENT

Football PSU announces major changes to Beaver Stadium

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State’s iconic home of Nittany Lion Football may be receiving not only a significant upgrade in the form of a multi-phase renovation, but the project also has the potential to expand use beyond football game days. The renovation plan for Beaver Stadium, which is still being finalized, must be brought before the full board for a vote in the near future.

“After extensive research and consultation, renovation for Beaver Stadium is the direction we want to take as it is far more economical than a new build. In addition, it’s important to note that no part of this project will be funded by tuition, student fees or any of our educational budget,” said University President Neeli Bendapudi.

“I know there is a lot of interest in this project, and we are at the beginning of a multi-year journey, which still must include proposal review and approval by the Board of Trustees. Athletics also will need to put the project out for bid.”

In announcing the decision at today’s (Feb. 17) meeting of the University’s Board of Trustees, Bendapudi said, “Penn State has some of the most dedicated and loyal fans in the world and they deserve a facility that has upgraded amenities and improved circulation around the facility to enhance the fan experience. It is my commitment that we will do what we must to preserve one of our most iconic spaces in the most economical way possible.”

The president also said the University is not yet in a position to share financial projections for the renovation project. The president emphasized Penn State Athletics is a self-sustaining unit of the University – one of only a small number of self-funded collegiate athletics operations in the nation – and, as such, is still working out a funding model as well as a timeline.

Penn State Athletics has for decades been an economic powerhouse for the Centre Region and revenue from its football program is the main source of support for all 31 sports – allowing 800 student-athletes to compete, gain leadership skills and advance their education. According to a 2022 study commissioned by Happy Valley Adventure Bureau, the annual economic impact in Centre County alone for football visitor spending is estimated at $87 million. Attendee spending for all Penn State athletic events generates $149 million in total economic impact in Centre County.

The current Beaver Stadium has been at the corner of Porter Road and Park Avenue since 1960 – which is when Alaska and Hawaii were admitted as U.S. states, Bendapudi said. Before that, there were two separate locations for “Old” and “New” Beaver Field. By 1909 Penn State had outgrown “Old” Beaver Field, its original 500-seat football arena built in 1893 behind Osmond Laboratory. A “New” Beaver Field was constructed on the site where Kern Building and the Nittany Parking Deck are today; originally made of wood, it was rebuilt with steel in 1936.

After the 1959 season, New Beaver Field was dismantled and in 700 pieces was moved a mile-and-a-half to its current site, where it was reassembled beneath a new superstructure and christened Beaver Stadium, in honor of James A. Beaver, a key figure in the University's history and former governor of Pennsylvania, president of Penn State’s Board of Trustees, and acting president of the University from 1906 to 1908. When completed in 1960 it boasted 46,284 seats.

The stadium has more than doubled in size since it was moved from its former site, making it one of the largest stadiums in the country. Beaver Stadium has undergone numerous renovations since 1960 with the most recent major renovation in 2001 with the addition of the 60 skyboxes in a three-level structure above the East stands.

Reactions: NedFromYork

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State’s iconic home of Nittany Lion Football may be receiving not only a significant upgrade in the form of a multi-phase renovation, but the project also has the potential to expand use beyond football game days. The renovation plan for Beaver Stadium, which is still being finalized, must be brought before the full board for a vote in the near future.

“After extensive research and consultation, renovation for Beaver Stadium is the direction we want to take as it is far more economical than a new build. In addition, it’s important to note that no part of this project will be funded by tuition, student fees or any of our educational budget,” said University President Neeli Bendapudi.

“I know there is a lot of interest in this project, and we are at the beginning of a multi-year journey, which still must include proposal review and approval by the Board of Trustees. Athletics also will need to put the project out for bid.”

In announcing the decision at today’s (Feb. 17) meeting of the University’s Board of Trustees, Bendapudi said, “Penn State has some of the most dedicated and loyal fans in the world and they deserve a facility that has upgraded amenities and improved circulation around the facility to enhance the fan experience. It is my commitment that we will do what we must to preserve one of our most iconic spaces in the most economical way possible.”

The president also said the University is not yet in a position to share financial projections for the renovation project. The president emphasized Penn State Athletics is a self-sustaining unit of the University – one of only a small number of self-funded collegiate athletics operations in the nation – and, as such, is still working out a funding model as well as a timeline.

Penn State Athletics has for decades been an economic powerhouse for the Centre Region and revenue from its football program is the main source of support for all 31 sports – allowing 800 student-athletes to compete, gain leadership skills and advance their education. According to a 2022 study commissioned by Happy Valley Adventure Bureau, the annual economic impact in Centre County alone for football visitor spending is estimated at $87 million. Attendee spending for all Penn State athletic events generates $149 million in total economic impact in Centre County.

The current Beaver Stadium has been at the corner of Porter Road and Park Avenue since 1960 – which is when Alaska and Hawaii were admitted as U.S. states, Bendapudi said. Before that, there were two separate locations for “Old” and “New” Beaver Field. By 1909 Penn State had outgrown “Old” Beaver Field, its original 500-seat football arena built in 1893 behind Osmond Laboratory. A “New” Beaver Field was constructed on the site where Kern Building and the Nittany Parking Deck are today; originally made of wood, it was rebuilt with steel in 1936.

After the 1959 season, New Beaver Field was dismantled and in 700 pieces was moved a mile-and-a-half to its current site, where it was reassembled beneath a new superstructure and christened Beaver Stadium, in honor of James A. Beaver, a key figure in the University's history and former governor of Pennsylvania, president of Penn State’s Board of Trustees, and acting president of the University from 1906 to 1908. When completed in 1960 it boasted 46,284 seats.

The stadium has more than doubled in size since it was moved from its former site, making it one of the largest stadiums in the country. Beaver Stadium has undergone numerous renovations since 1960 with the most recent major renovation in 2001 with the addition of the 60 skyboxes in a three-level structure above the East stands.
The article says nothing about what the renovations may entail.

Reactions: therod and WaylonJ
They have not released any exact details.
My guess is that it may include covering the exposed girders with brickwork and/or glass to make it look like a more classic football stadium (i.e., Kinnick or Illinois' stadium), and replacing many of the bleachers with seats that would reduce capacity, which might be a wise thing at this point. I also think that it may include putting luxury boxes on the press box side and building a new press box; Michigan now has luxury boxes on both sides.

My guess is that it may include covering the exposed girders with brickwork and/or glass to make it look like a more classic football stadium (i.e., Kinnick or Illinois' stadium), and replacing many of the bleachers with seats that would reduce capacity, which might be a wise thing at this point. I also think that it may include putting luxury boxes on the press box side and building a new press box; Michigan now has luxury boxes on both sides.
Priorities should be:
-Restroom renovations
-Improved handicap accessibility (i.e. installations of wheel chair accessible elevators)
-Easier accessibility to concession stands on all levels
-Bring press boxes up to standard
-Improved seating even if it means reduction of seating capacity
-Improve WIFI capacity/reception

I would expect they will add some luxury boxes on Press box side of the stadium.

I understand next month will be the six-year anniversary of the original announcement. Of course, lots have happened from COVID to NIL to the collapse of the NCAA. There is a lot to consider.

I recommended building out the areas under the seating to a) improve game day amenities and b) provide non-game use. For example, repurpose the PSU sports hall of fame and put it in the stadium. I can also see areas where sky boxes are rented out for corporate us on game days as well as non-game days. There is a lot of activity in that general area (baseball, lacrosse, Basketball, etc.). I can see the stadium being a hub. Perhaps a sit down restaurant as everything is quite a walk if you want to take in an event and then have a nice meal.

I have noticed other stadiums creating shared use areas instead of seats. By that I mean selling tickets to patios where you can stand, mingle and enjoy the game.

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
The items that I have heard that are under consideration are as follows. Take everything with a grain of salt.

Removal and replacement of the press box and addition of suites.
Removal of bleachers with the exception of the student section.
Removal and replacement of the north end zone upper deck.
Upgrade all concourses.
Dedicated football museum at the site where Joe's statue once was.
Dedicated restroom facilities along the stadium exterior for tailgaters.
Dedicated restroom facilities in the tailgating lots.

Key phrase. “a multi year project” meaning this will be done in phases. The ques is what will be prioritized? Things like restrooms and food serves for attendees? Or box and luxury items for the big pots and girls? Will they winterize the stadium for year round or late season…..playoffs….uses.

Phases help minimize impact and allows for stages to be completed without interrupting the seasons, spreads out the costs, prevents committing to huge contracts risking unforeseen events like the Wuhan outbreak. Also allows them to stop or delay things if the financials take a hit.

Other uses could be classrooms, conference use, restaurants, retail/souvenir stores. How about an urgent care medical station since it is on campus, the center of athletic fields where people get injuries?

Worse thing. Since they have told us nothing, the same discussions that have been going on for ten years will begin again.

They don't want to release details until it is approved presumably. But it begs the question as to why they even made this announcement.
Could it be because they already announced those details previously? IIRC, your football stadium getting renovated and encased was part of a larger master plan for the PSU athletic department. Looked pretty nice.

Edit: added a rendering for context.
117d9157d5ea7cc648f6110c68a83c5a.jpg

Could it be because they already announced those details previously? IIRC, your football stadium getting renovated and encased was part of a larger master plan for the PSU athletic department. Looked pretty nice.

The facade in that drawing is what I referred to in my earlier post. The thing about Beaver Stadium is that it is a great place to watch the game once you’re inside, but the exterior on the sides and the north end zone could me made more aesthetically pleasing.

Looks awesome. Hope they build something close to that, but just needs bigger screens on both ends and creature comforts to keep people coming to games. Now just go out and build something and stop doing anymore studies. And lets not kid ourselves - they were never going to build a brand new stadium, and this will get them another 20 years of use at least.

I would hope they keep the seating at over 100,000. That does carry weight with recruits etc. If they’re going to remove bleachers then I hope they fill in the corners to make up the difference.

The concession/ bathroom/ winterizing issues obviously will be addressed which could allow for more use than 7 days a year.

Hopefully they make the stadium an intimidating place with any changes. Take a note from Seattle and UDub in constructing the stadium to keep the noise in.

The exterior on that old rendering was not so great IMO. I like how Notre Dame and Florida State upgraded their stadiums by also including classroom space and other facilities.

Notre Dame-

iu

Florida State-

iu

iu

Hopefully the new leadership has a more wholistic approach to the entire athletic complex foot print. They say they want more non football events at the Beav. Heck, they can attract more non PSU sports events to their entire complex if they have any vision beyond their own events. That would drive significant investment from many sources not to mention potential naming rights from sponsors who want more than just PSU sporting events. It can become a significant national/regional entertainment complex.

Without knowing for sure, I don't think the steps that currently have bleachers are wide enough to have both chairs and room to pass in front. Seems like a major obstacle.

Reactions: Obliviax
As change goes, Neeli reports to the BOT and will not do anything beyond their f'ed up conniving bidding.

We let this happen decades ago. While some of us were playing ball, others were drinking, doping it up, diddling sluts and f'ing off in general.

The bastardly BOT was free to establish their evil empire and hand pick turds to allow the bullshit to continue

They’ll waste huge amounts of $$$ on a retrofit that will prove inadequate almost as soon as it’s completed. That’s the BOT way. Smart money is to bite the bullet, build new and downsize to 80,000 cap for a multi use facility that could last several gens if not more. They have the space to do so. Instead they’ll put a cover on the erector set which will need fixed in another 15 yrs.

Reactions: PSUfiji
They’ll waste huge amounts of $$$ on a retrofit that will prove inadequate almost as soon as it’s completed. That’s the BOT way. Smart money is to bite the bullet, build new and downsize to 80,000 cap for a multi use facility that could last several gens if not more. They have the space to do so. Instead they’ll put a cover on the erector set which will need fixed in another 15 yrs.
Given the state of college athletics right now, smart money is on incremental renovations that can be accomplished in phases.

Reactions: NICNEM_PSU80
I am not understanding the calls to downsize here. Current demand is north of 100,000 fans per game. Who spends money to decrease revenue?

Everything above the lower bowl needs torn out and rebuilt.

I am not understanding the calls to downsize here. Current demand is north of 100,000 fans per game. Who spends money to decrease revenue?
High demand is for four games a year… maybe. If the weather is crap forget it. The home opener, white out, OSU/Mich and maybe another game. On great weather days, the demand is in the parking lot and tailgating. An 80k stadium is a perfect size.

Reactions: PSUCYCLING
High demand is for four games a year… maybe. If the weather is crap forget it. The home opener, white out, OSU/Mich and maybe another game. On great weather days, the demand is in the parking lot and tailgating. An 80k stadium is a perfect size.
A couple trips to the playoffs….and maybe a natty…..will jump demand as people jump on the bandwagon.

Without knowing for sure, I don't think the steps that currently have bleachers are wide enough to have both chairs and room to pass in front. Seems like a major obstacle.
This sounds correct…if you look at the chairs on the East side, 5 rows of chairs takes up the same space as ~8 rows of bleachers.

I doubt a reduction is.on the agenda. Unless they are planning on a beer and food court.

The question remains.

How many of the sunovabichin and odious BOT family and friends will benefit from no vote contracts, awards and the like leading to more enrichment? And self enrichment?

These pricks are not to be trusted.
You do realize these projects are put out to bid and the results are public? There is no secret process to it. You could register and bid for the jobs yourself. No all the work doesn't got to BOT family and friends.

Reactions: PSUfiji
You do realize these projects are put out to bid and the results are public? There is no secret process to it. You could register and bid for the jobs yourself. No all the work doesn't got to BOT family and friends.

I realized that. But too much crap has been pulled by the BOT.

Not to be trusted.

I’m sorry, but it is utterly ludicrous to dump tens of millions of dollars into a renovation that substantially reduces capacity and resulting revenue to that degree. Nobody in their right mind would ever do that, especially when the demand is there.

Reactions: psu00
Not very smart money at all. Giving up 27000 seats does not enhance revenue but depletes it. Add bathrooms automate the food service, mirror image and expand the press box adding more seats to allow for better seat width in the bleachers and adding backs to the bleachers is the way to go.

Expand the overnight parking to increase the market area of fans is important and fixing the traffic issues leaving the stadium also gets more fans to attend games creating more demand, increase the school and football brand and ultimately revenue for football and the university.

I for one want to attend more games in person. How does reducing the number of seats help fans and create revenue.

Reactions: bison13 and LMTLION
PSU records highest home football game attendance since 2008

Despite the impact of Sandisky and Covid, the demand in the brand is as strong as ever and back to normal. Is monumentally stupid to reduce capacity at Beaver stadium. Yeah, let’s spend a boatload money to decrease revenue and make it less intimidating for opponents. And this just in time for conference expansion as USC and UCLA come to town in future years, and undoubtedly other football powers as well during conference realignment.

Last edited:
From what I remember the original “plan” was to get rid of bleachers and add seats. Would need to take out several rows to accomplish this which would reduce capacity by 3000-4000. Maybe fill in the corners and it could keep capacity the same. I figure getting the stadium functional for potential playoff games and additional events would be first priority. Seating second but would be in conjunction with improved bathrooms/concessions access.

I was kind of hoping for upper levels added to the east and west sideline to get us to 150000 capacity.. 30 more rows each side.. would be a fun climb up to row 120..

Hopefully the new leadership has a more wholistic approach to the entire athletic complex foot print. They say they want more non football events at the Beav. Heck, they can attract more non PSU sports events to their entire complex if they have any vision beyond their own events. That would drive significant investment from many sources not to mention potential naming rights from sponsors who want more than just PSU sporting events. It can become a significant national/regional entertainment complex.
Play one of those outdoor stadium NHL games there. Penguins vs Flyers would be a natural. Could be held every year.

From what I remember the original “plan” was to get rid of bleachers and add seats. Would need to take out several rows to accomplish this which would reduce capacity by 3000-4000. Maybe fill in the corners and it could keep capacity the same. I figure getting the stadium functional for potential playoff games and additional events would be first priority. Seating second but would be in conjunction with improved bathrooms/concessions access.

I was kind of hoping for upper levels added to the east and west sideline to get us to 150000 capacity.. 30 more rows each side.. would be a fun climb up to row 120..
Go the opposite, make it like the early 70's. Add a running track, black gravel old school of course, open up the south end zone to just bleachers. Tear down the north endzone to just a 30 row horseshoe. Cut back capacity to 60,000!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT