ADVERTISEMENT

Pry

Richard the LIONhearted

May 29, 2001
Really turning out to be a very good coach. Defense has improved so much week over week. Really contained Haskins this year, something the “Greatest Defense of All Time” could not do today. Allowed Amani to single up against the MSU receiver which seems to be the only real bad decision of the entire season. Even against the “Greatest Team of All Time,” ichigan, the defense played pretty well. He has a lot to work with in 2019 even if Miller goes pro.

Really turning out to be a very good coach. Defense has improved so much week over week. Really contained Haskins this year, something the “Greatest Defense of All Time” could not do today. Allowed Amani to single up against the MSU receiver which seems to be the only real bad decision of the entire season. Even against the “Greatest Team of All Time,” ichigan, the defense played pretty well. He has a lot to work with in 2019 even if Miller goes pro.

Best thing for Pry was for some of the young guys to settle in and have Reid return to form (for the most part).

He’s done a nice job since he’s been here.... IMO.

This year was probably his best to date.
I am lukewarm on him... he blitzes a lot leaving the middle of the field open too often.

Reactions: JoeFi
IMO, defensively problems were created by our offense. The numerous 3 and out really impacted our defense. I think we will have one of the best DL next year. Matos will be 1st team B10 preseason. Another 2 more seasons, and Pry will be considered for HC positions.

IMO, defensively problems were created by our offense. The numerous 3 and out really impacted our defense. I think we will have one of the best DL next year. Matos will be 1st team B10 preseason. Another 2 more seasons, and Pry will be considered for HC positions.

Pry has been considered for HC positions the past two years if I recall correctly. Albeit at FCS schools, not FBS.

Pry has been considered for HC positions the past two years if I recall correctly. Albeit at FCS schools, not FBS.
He was a candidate at either UL-Monroe or UL-Lafayette last year, which are both FBS schools. They’re not Power 5, but they’re FBS regardless. Georgia State or Georgia Southern, where he’s been considered before, are both FBS, too.

I think Pry could start being a legitimate candidate at P5 schools as soon as this off-season.

Reactions: ELDADDY

No, they have been FBS schools. Louisianna Monroe I believe and Georgia Southern.

He was a candidate at either UL-Monroe or UL-Lafayette last year, which are both FBS schools. They’re not Power 5, but they’re FBS regardless. Georgia State or Georgia Southern, where he’s been considered before, are both FBS, too.

I think Pry could start being a legitimate candidate at P5 schools as soon as this off-season.

Really? Say, e.g., Illinois fires Lovie Smith. Or UNC fires Fedora. Do you really think Pry would be a candidate?

No, they have been FBS schools. Louisianna Monroe I believe and Georgia Southern.

It was Georgia Southern where Pry was the DC prior to joining Franklin at Vanderbilt. The other school was Louisiana Lafayette, but what's 180 miles among friends?

Really? Say, e.g., Illinois fires Lovie Smith. Or UNC fires Fedora. Do you really think Pry would be a candidate?

Because Smith and Fedora have shown to be such inspired coaching hires that, of course, they would never consider Pry. Please stop with your stupid commentary.

Because Smith and Fedora have shown to be such inspired coaching hires that, of course, they would never consider Pry. Please stop with your stupid commentary.

I don't understand what your comment even means, or why the need for insults. I am just asking hypothetically if Pry would be a candidate at Illinois or North Carolina. I tend to think no; he is still a little green for that level.

Reactions: THEEHMANN
I like Pry, the defense has improved this year and they were the big ? coming into the season with weak DT's and weak LBs. They improved which was nice to see.

He has been awful in protecting leads though in the big games as the blame must go around to everyone, not just Franklin or Rahne or Moorhead.

Leaving #21 on an island at the end of the game vs MSU cost us the game at the end. Everyone knew they were throwing to Felton, a PSU killer the last two years and nothing was done to help at the end.

Reactions: bdgan
OSU figured out our blitzes by using screens and we never adjusted.

Pry's defense gets a lot of sacks but that's because the blitz so often. They also get burned a fair bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
I like Pry, the defense has improved this year and they were the big ? coming into the season with weak DT's and weak LBs. They improved which was nice to see.

He has been awful in protecting leads though in the big games as the blame must go around to everyone, not just Franklin or Rahne or Moorhead.

Leaving #21 on an island at the end of the game vs MSU cost us the game at the end. Everyone knew they were throwing to Felton, a PSU killer the last two years and nothing was done to help at the end.

Looking back at the blown fourth quarter leads, I can’t help but remember how the offense couldn’t get a first down on consecutive possessions to run down the clock. Here’s a defense that has already been on the field for 90 plays and your asking them to come out and win the game. A single first down, late in the game, wins each of OSU and MSU.

All evidence to the contrary ...... of course o_O

We made great adjustments after OSU started running screens?

44th in the country in total team defense going into yesterday.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

I guess it depends on how high you set the bar.

P.S. The defense had to replace 8 starters from last year. They had plenty of struggles like giving up 425 yds and 25 1st downs to MSU. Guys out of position, missed tackles, and big runs when opponents got to the second level (Illinois). It wasn't all Pry's fault and to his credit they improved down the stretch. There's a lot of improvement to be had.

I was a Pry "complainer" throughout the year, but we actually saw the defense improve as the year progressed and that is a real positive heading into the bowl game and next year. I still don't like how he blitzes DB's from 10-15 yards away. The never get there!

Reactions: ELDADDY
Agree Pry's D has gotten better (would not use Haskins as my primary sell point because that kid was just growing up in our game)... it's a process that seems to be working.

Interesting note about how early in season our D was on the field for so many plays. 76 vs App St, 76 vs Illinois.. 76 vs osu, nearly 90 vs msu and iowa... 90 at Indy. THEN we played at a well rested michigan and it's safe to say the kids were worn out while UM was rested, ready, and had blood in their eyes.

Granted an OT game places a different level of stress on the players, but the announcers in last night's epic SEC battle made a distinct point about the exhaustion factor of being on the field for so many plays and that the kids had virtually nothing left. LSU ran off 90 plays..TAMU 107. That's 1 game. We were dealing with it over multiple games. [BTW, the average # of plays in Top Tier CFB is 72]

The last few weeks, that has changed. Wisky 57, Rutgers 71, UMd 59.

I really wouldn't mind playing UM on a neutral field with players on both sides being healthy and equally rested. I'd take my chances. Won't happen, but it'd be fun (imo).

You: “They get burned a lot”
Me: “4th LOWEST yards per pass allowed in the nation”

Maybe you didn’t read that part? :)

Of course I read that part. To be honest I was thinking of when PSU would blitz LBs from the edge and opposing RBs would have a lot of room if they got past the LOS. 15 yards until they got to Taylor.

FWIW PSU was 21st in the nation in passing yards allowed and 72nd in rushing yards allowed.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...at/rushing/position/defense/sort/rushingYards

We made great adjustments after OSU started running screens?

44th in the country in total team defense going into yesterday.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

I guess it depends on how high you set the bar.

P.S. The defense had to replace 8 starters from last year. They had plenty of struggles like giving up 425 yds and 25 1st downs to MSU. Guys out of position, missed tackles, and big runs when opponents got to the second level (Illinois). It wasn't all Pry's fault and to his credit they improved down the stretch. There's a lot of improvement to be had.
Total team defense in terms of raw yards allowed is about as useful of a stat as time of possession is. That’s to say: it’s of nearly no use. On a per-play basis, Penn State has the #10 defense, and in defensive efficiency it’s the #9 defense in the country.

The last few weeks, that has changed. Wisky 57, Rutgers 71, UMd 59.

I really wouldn't mind playing UM on a neutral field with players on both sides being healthy and equally rested. I'd take my chances. (imo).

Interesting numbers. I think they say a lot about those teams. Wisky's offense was completely one dimensional without Hornibrook. Coan was horrible. McFarland only got 6 carries for Maryland yesterday and Pigrome was starting just his second game at QB after Kasim Hill's injury. Who would have thought that Rutgers would be the team out of those 3 to have the most offensive plays?

I'm not so sure about taking UM on again but I'd like our chances better if they were playing without Bush and Long like they did in the second half vs. OSU yesterday.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Total team defense in terms of raw yards allowed is about as useful of a stat as time of possession is. That’s to say: it’s of nearly no use. On a per-play basis, Penn State has the #10 defense, and in defensive efficiency it’s the #9 defense in the country.
Scoring is obviously the most important thing. This says we were 30th before yesterday.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28

Reactions: whart
Scoring is obviously the most important thing. This says we were 30th before yesterday.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28
Any raw number isn’t going to give an accurate story. Take yesterday’s UM-OSU game - Michigan scores almost 40 points, but OSU’s defense controlled play from start to finish and they’ll still be punished in the total scoring defense rankings. Or, in a more extreme example, our game last year against Nebraska. Points scored or allowed generally (with few exceptions) flow from per-play efficiency, not the other way around. It’s more demonstrative to look at what results in points ( versus the end result) to determine the effectiveness of a defense. It’s like judging pitcher based on his win-loss record instead of his WHIP or ERA.

Reactions: nittanybear
Sean Spencer is so valuable. I think he is our most important assistant coach.
Agreed. With the losses to the D-Line this year, it took a little time to figure out the best combination with everyone being so young. The future is so freaking bright for our defense!

Pry's blitzes still stink. Just he hasn't had to blitz as much as the DL jelled in the 2nd half of the season

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT