ADVERTISEMENT

ProFootballFocus graded every Hack snap over 3 years. Here are the results....

Why are folks jerking off on this again? Even Hackenberg admitted to NFL scouts that he needs to get better and that he shoulders the blame. See simons96 thread from the other day.

On one hand i wasnt crazy about the donovan offense, but on the other, i cant imagine any experienced d1 coach being as incompetent as posters on here think he was. Nothing personal, but when i watched hack, i saw a very poor, unproductive quarterback. Because of his physical attibutes, he will get drafted, but i cant see an nfl team spending a pick on him before the 4th round. No coach would want to go into the season with him as the primary backup who would be one injury away from starting. He would have to be 3rd string or on the practice squad and you dont draft a guy in the top 3 rounds to fill that role.

Reactions: Judge Smails
This is complete BS:

Quarterbacks play a role in the rate at which they face pressure — it isn’t simply a function of the offensive line. This is important to keep in mind when evaluating Hackenberg.

Many have cited Penn State’s poor pass protection as a reason for Hackenberg’s struggles, and to be clear, it’s not as though I thought he had the benefit of a great offensive line. But let’s look at the 2015 season opener against Temple as an example of how Hackenberg deserved some blame for the amount of pressure he was under.

Hackenberg was under pressure on 17 of his 36 dropbacks in that game, but only seven of those pressures were charged to the offensive line. That means nearly 60 percent of the pressure he was under in that game was not surrendered by his O-line, and much of it was clear from before the snap.
I defy anyone to watch that Temple game, Paris Palmer's first game, and agree with this statement. As a result, I think the entire article is full of opinion, not statistics, and total BS.

As a former O-lineman, I am sympathetic to the O-line and have defended the O-line, more than any other, over the years. But if someone thinks that O-line was competent, by any stretch, in 2015, there isn't much of a discussion. Not only was the Oline bad, so were the TE's and RB's in passing. In addition, every game PSU was on TV the cover person said that the WR's didn't come back to the ball, ran poor routes, didn't separate and more (ON TV, I can't see that but that's what the color people said in just about every game). I just can't get the picture out of my mind of the center and guards being blown back into Hack's lap when we were deep in our own end or when the staff completely abandoned any semblance of a short running game.

Noticed the writer didn't point out that the OC was fired on the first possible day....wonder why?
Almost like the illegitimate child from the Vicky trippany and Davy Jones love affair the article hahaha

Reactions: Obliviax
We are talking about it because it is April and there isn't much else to talk about for a bit.

On one hand i wasnt crazy about the donovan offense, but on the other, i cant imagine any experienced d1 coach being as incompetent as posters on here think he was. Nothing personal, but when i watched hack, i saw a very poor, unproductive quarterback. Because of his physical attibutes, he will get drafted, but i cant see an nfl team spending a pick on him before the 4th round. No coach would want to go into the season with him as the primary backup who would be one injury away from starting. He would have to be 3rd string or on the practice squad and you dont draft a guy in the top 3 rounds to fill that role.

What I saw was the worst coached unit in the country. If it wasn't for Hackenberg, PSU might have a new coach right now after back to back 3 or fewer win seasons.

Reactions: Obliviax
We are talking about it because it is April and there isn't much else to talk about for a bit.

Judge should stick to "Who's the hottest?" polls.

(Well, not "stick" to them, but focus on them. :eek: )

What I saw was the worst coached unit in the country. If it wasn't for Hackenberg, PSU might have a new coach right now after back to back 3 or fewer win seasons.

Do you really believe, after watching Hack the past two seasons, that he was solely responsible for 9 wins? You need to go back and look at those games. Hack made a few good plays, but he missed a lot of possible good plays too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT