ADVERTISEMENT

ProFootballFocus calls Barkley the #1 elusive rusher in NCAA. As true frosh.

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
Saquon Barkley, Penn State Nittany Lions
As a true freshman, Barkley earned the No. 1 elusive rating in college football last season. He also forced the ninth-most missed tackles as a runner among returning backs, and the sixth-best yards after contact per rush average.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/co...ckle-in-college-football-fournette-mccaffrey/

Saquon-Barkley-Penn-State-Big-Ten-East.gif

Saquon Barkley, Penn State Nittany Lions
As a true freshman, Barkley earned the No. 1 elusive rating in college football last season. He also forced the ninth-most missed tackles as a runner among returning backs, and the sixth-best yards after contact per rush average.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/co...ckle-in-college-football-fournette-mccaffrey/

Saquon-Barkley-Penn-State-Big-Ten-East.gif

I'd like to see a better back in the country this year (there won't be one).

1467094_27668.png

Might as well dust this off too....

ESPN: Penn State RB Saquon Barkley is a Heisman sleeper in 2016

From ESPN's Mitch Sherman:

"With the exception of Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett, no player in the Big Ten is on the radar in early Heisman handicapping. Barkley could vault into the conversation with a big September. And he’s primed for a huge sophomore season as the Nittany Lions attempt to ease the transition for a new quarterback. Barkley emerged in a big way in 2015, shattering the Penn State freshman rushing record with 1,076 yards. He broke off runs of 56 yards against Michigan and Ohio State and led the Big Ten, ranking 11th nationally, with 16 runs of 20 yards or longer.

"At 5-foot-11 and 220 pounds, he’s built to endure punishment. And who doesn’t appreciate a physical back in the Penn State white and blue? The opportunity for statement performances arrive early at rival Pitt and in the league opener at Michigan."

I'd like to see a better back in the country this year (there won't be one).

1467094_27668.png

They have different running styles, but I think Leonard Fournette belongs up there with Barkley. Not sure who is better, but I know who I will be rooting for this Fall. Christian McCaffrey will get some Heisman buzz coming into this season but, for all of his considerable speed and elusiveness, he is not the running back Barkley is. McCaffrey ran behind one of the top three offensive lines in all of college ball last year, and was rarely touched until after he was at full speed and past the line of scrimmage. Imagine how many yards Barkley would have had if he ran behind an OL like that.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
As an FYI, ProFootballFocus is the same outfit that said Hackenberg wasn't worthy of being drafted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT