ADVERTISEMENT

John Fennelly article attacking the drafting of Saquan Barkley by the NY Giants. Hard to believe he gets paid for writing crap like this!

Saquon Barkley named Giants’ biggest draft mistake of past five years​

Thu, July 8, 2021, 9:55 AM

In this article:

f814f045f56b4bd7ff619d55d42c30a0

New York Giant fans love Saquon Barkley. He’s exciting, charismatic and the perfect face of the franchise. But the truth of the matter is, Barkley shouldn’t be a Giant at all. That is, if management had any clue of what they were doing at the time.
The Giants made Barkley, a superstar, game-changing back at Penn State, the second overall election in the 2018 NFL Draft. He went on to amass over 2,000 yards from scrimmage as a rookie, was named to the Pro Bowl and beat out No. 1 overall pick Baker Mayfield of Cleveland for Offensive Rookie of the Year honors.

2021 Giants training camp preview: Running backs

View 5 items

1ced9605ac8bac9bb54301e3ed287e4b

Since then however, Barkley has struggled to stay healthy. In 2019, a high ankle sprain caused him to miss several games and rendered him ineffective for more than half the season. Last year, he suffered a torn ACL in the second week of the season and underwent season-ending surgery.
Although Barkley is the cornerstone of the franchise and sells goodwill and jerseys, his presence has failed to move the needle for the Giants. They are still a losing team three years later. Chris Roling of Bleacher Report named the drafting of Barkley the Giants’ biggest mistake of the last five years.

Very true. The Giants screwed up by falling in love with Barkley. General manager Dave Gettleman called him a “gold jacket” player and went against the grain by taking him so high in the draft. In this day and age running backs — no matter how talented — should never be taken with the second overall pick.
The Giants now know this but back then they did not. The second overall pick is normally reserved for either a quarterback, offensive tackle, pass rusher or trade bait. Instead, the Giants saddled themselves with a running back with a modern injury history (wasn’t an issue in college) and are still searching for player(s) at those other positions. They also will have to play Barkley premium moolah to keep him in the fold going forward.
Looking back on the 2018 NFL Draft, the Giants did not make the best use of the No. 2 overall pick. They could have made the colossal mistake of taking USC quarterback Sam Darnold, who went to the Jets at No. 3, or traded backs few spots and landed Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen, a budding superstar who las led the Buffalo Bills back to prominence. They then could have taken Georgia running back Nick Chubb in the second round like Cleveland did.
Other players they could have selected by trading back are Quentin Nelson, Denzel Ward, Bradley Chubb, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Frank Ragnow, Trumaine Edmunds, Jaire Alexander, Derwin James and Darius Leonard — all Pro Bowlers.
Taking a quarterback such as Allen would have given them more flexibility in 2019. They would not have taken Daniel Jones at No. 6. They could have leveraged that pick into more capital and beefed up their roster and had Allen as their centerpiece.
But instead, they are tethered to Barkley, a player that needs to have a monster year in 2021 for the team to even consider extending him beyond his rookie contract. That won’t be easy, especially coming off a serious injury and the Giants having so many mouths to feed on offense now.
The Giants learned their lesson the hard way. This year, they were wheelers and dealers at the draft, trading back and still getting viable players while collecting future draft picks. Had they done that the past few years their rise back into the playoff picture would be over by now.
No time to read all the comments but considering all of the games he has missed, it was a bad pick and worse investment. I wish he would have been drafted by a team with a decent OL. It would have been a great # 2 pick for a team with a proven OLm

No time to read all the comments but considering all of the games he has missed, it was a bad pick and worse investment. I wish he would have been drafted by a team with a decent OL. It would have been a great # 2 pick for a team with a proven OLm
He was a great pick starting out. It became a bad pick/investment only after Gettleman constantly crapped the bed on rebuilding the Giants OL. He'd have rushed for 1500 yards behind a line like the Eagles have...and not gotten constantly nicked up like Sanders is. In the right system, he'd be an explosive, multi-skilled, highly durable RB.

He was a great pick starting out. It became a bad pick/investment only after Gettleman constantly crapped the bed on rebuilding the Giants OL. He'd have rushed for 1500 yards behind a line like the Eagles have...and not gotten constantly nicked up like Sanders is. In the right system, he'd be an explosive, multi-skilled, highly durable RB.
Exactly but what happened is what I feared:

Agree wholeheartedly.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I'm just dumbfounded that someone dug back to a half year old thread to continue an argument. Never change BWI...never change.

Barkley and Najee Harris in Pittsburgh were bad picks, and it has nothing to do with the players. These teams need O-lineman not running backs. You don’t buy the cart if you don’t own a horse.
Agreed as far as the Giants are concerned. But if Gettleman's OL picks worked (or stayed healthy), we'd be having a different conversation right now. No one could predict that as Gettleman did build a pretty nice team in Carolina. The situation is half bad picks and half OL injuries.

This is all 20-20 Hindsight...

Last edited:
Sorry, it’s true. Barkley continues to be a special talent, but has contributed little these past two years. I believe Barkley will go on to have a really good career but he needs out of NY.

For reference, look at other top RB picks recently like Gurley, Fournette and Elliott. These guys have a few good years and abs relegated to slightly above average. RB is just not a key position any longer and production seldom matches up with expectations on highly drafted guys any longer.

Reactions: Ski
Glov does this all the time with his threads.

Knock it off!

Whatever I choose to do, I choose to do because it is pertinent, it is a necessary response, it helps discussion continue, or it has become and is relevant again.

You don't have to agree but please don't ever criticize when you need not.

Let's not type-cast sir.

Discussion is good food.

Barkley and Najee Harris in Pittsburgh were bad picks, and it has nothing to do with the players. These teams need O-lineman not running backs. You don’t buy the cart if you don’t own a horse.

No they were not.

Harris was and is and will continue to be a great pick for Pittsburgh.

Maybe you should have called the Steelers and advised them just how bad of a mistake they were making BEFORE they made the pick.

That's funny, did I hear you say that you were THE Guru of Guru's regarding NFL draft-picking employed by ALL NFL teams? I don't think so.

No way Mary.

Please come down off that mountain in Florida.

It is affecting your judgement.

ADVERTISEMENT