ADVERTISEMENT

Pro Golf

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
with the masters just two weeks away, golf was great to watch as the players start to tune up.

this last weekend featured an incredible match play championship this week in Austin Texas (Dell Open).

Perhaps one of the greatest drives of all time was on Friday. Rory hits a drive that carries 345 yards to land on the green and goes 375 yards, total, to rest three feet from the hole.

For those unfamiliar, it was a match-play tournament so players played head-to-head single elimination. Making a bad drive and taking a 7 on a par four is no worse than making a par and being beaten by a birdie so the players really go for it. the final four played over 100 holes from Thursday ~ Sunday with 36-holes being played on Sunday. It was fun to watch how skilled these guys are.

Disappointing that this was it for the Matchplay and Austin CC. Always enjoyed watching that course, but sounds like some bridges were burned and the PGA won’t be back. There is no match play event on the schedule moving forward at this point, but hoping they can figure something out to keep a marquee event under this format.

Disappointing that this was it for the Matchplay and Austin CC. Always enjoyed watching that course, but sounds like some bridges were burned and the PGA won’t be back. There is no match play event on the schedule moving forward at this point, but hoping they can figure something out to keep a marquee event under this format.
Agreed. But it is challenging. I can't imagine playing 36 holes on one day with millions of dollars on the line. I wonder if the players are pushing back. The other way to do it is to expand it to beyond four days or make the starting field much smaller. I know they came up with the Modified Stableford system as well, trying to reward aggressive play making birdies and eagles much more than a penalty for a bogey.

Pretty sure that announcer almost dropped an F bomb.
funny you say that.

Since they are now competing with LIV, they play interactions between players and caddies more. VERY common for the audio to go out after a player makes a bad shot. Pretty funny, actually.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT