ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty soon the NCAA will allow players to play for Penn State

walleye38

Jul 29, 2003
this year, Ohio State next year, Michigan the year after and Alabama the year after that. We have become a Nation of sissies . If you smile at me the wrong way, I am going to be offended and cry to someone, instead of taking care of it myself. Political correctness rules the world. We as a Nation are Crazy.

The Rock agrees...soon, everyone will be born to be 6’5” and athletically gifted. Then we can all get football scholarships. :rolleyes:

"So many good people fought for freedom and equality, but this generation are looking for a reason to be offended," the 46-year-old told The Daily Star. "If you are not agreeing with them then they are offended, and that is not what so many great men and women fought for."

While The Rock does think that the world has made a lot of progress in the past decades, he also thinks that the people of "generation snowflake" are standing in the way of positive change.

"We thankfully now live in a world that has progressed over the last 30 or 40 years," The Rock said. "People can be who they want, be with who they want, and live how they want. That can only be a good thing, but generation snowflake, or whatever you want to call them, are actually putting us backwards."

The Rock didn't elaborate on how the snowflake generation are "putting us backwards," but went on to make the argument that it all comes down to freedom of speech.

"I don’t have to agree with what somebody thinks, who they vote for, what they voted for, what they think, but I will back their right to say or believe it," The Rock said. "That’s democracy."

I guess what he's trying to say is that he's just really tired of our "candy asses."

Well... are you liking what The Rock is cooking? ;)

I'm not sure he would be able to say on National TV what he said 15 years ago... times have certainly changed. Would The Rock and Stone Cold be popular today?

this year, Ohio State next year, Michigan the year after and Alabama the year after that. We have become a Nation of sissies . If you smile at me the wrong way, I am going to be offended and cry to someone, instead of taking care of it myself. Political correctness rules the world. We as a Nation are Crazy.
Not as long as Joe is still coach, NCAA, Big still think Joe is on board.

So its fine if a coach goes from Michigan to OSU, but not a player?

Yes. One is an employee. One is not. Also, FTR, it's fine if a player wants to transfer, there are just certain eligibility considerations.

You are an idiot.

Now you can transfer to another board and your lawyer will make sure you can post immediately.

The Rock agrees...soon, everyone will be born to be 6’5” and athletically gifted. Then we can all get football scholarships. :rolleyes:

"So many good people fought for freedom and equality, but this generation are looking for a reason to be offended," the 46-year-old told The Daily Star. "If you are not agreeing with them then they are offended, and that is not what so many great men and women fought for."

While The Rock does think that the world has made a lot of progress in the past decades, he also thinks that the people of "generation snowflake" are standing in the way of positive change.

"We thankfully now live in a world that has progressed over the last 30 or 40 years," The Rock said. "People can be who they want, be with who they want, and live how they want. That can only be a good thing, but generation snowflake, or whatever you want to call them, are actually putting us backwards."

The Rock didn't elaborate on how the snowflake generation are "putting us backwards," but went on to make the argument that it all comes down to freedom of speech.

"I don’t have to agree with what somebody thinks, who they vote for, what they voted for, what they think, but I will back their right to say or believe it," The Rock said. "That’s democracy."

I guess what he's trying to say is that he's just really tired of our "candy asses."
I like the Rock but he is jumping into an incredibly nuanced situation that requires something more than just data points. I also don't trust the press to be reporting everything accurately.

With any luck, this will resolve itself by finding an equilibrium. There's a rush to transfer now. Once players start to see that it doesn't always work out, things should slow to a reasonable rate.

Players should be allowed to transfer. The amount of money schools make off of these kids is obscene.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Yes. One is an employee. One is not. Also, FTR, it's fine if a player wants to transfer, there are just certain eligibility considerations.

Well in reality they're both employees- one is paid in dollars and one is paid in scholarship.

And yes there are transfer eligibility considerations that everyone goes through. And like everything in life, there are exceptions to the rules.

So its fine if a coach goes from Michigan to OSU, but not a player?

Sure, if his contract has expired or will be expiring. Otherwise, he would be susceptible to a possible large buyout. For example, I think Florida paid Colorado State the equivalent of $7.5 million to steal away McElwain.

Maybe you have put your finger on a good idea. If a school steals a player that is under guaranteed scholarship for 4 years with school A, he can go to school B anytime he wants if school B gives up one of their following year scholarships to school A. That would give school A a possible 26 scholarships available and school B 24. School B would have a scholarship roster cap of 84 for the balance of the stolen player's eligibility, whether the stolen player stays at school B or not.

Something along those lines might work. Otherwise, College football might become more of a joke than what it has already become.

Well, I’m on the other side. There should be no transfer rules. Let them go when and where they want.

Sure, if his contract has expired or will be expiring. Otherwise, he would be susceptible to a possible large buyout. For example, I think Florida paid Colorado State the equivalent of $7.5 million to steal away McElwain.

Maybe you have put your finger on a good idea. If a school steals a player that is under guaranteed scholarship for 4 years with school A, he can go to school B anytime he wants if school B gives up one of their following year scholarships to school A. That would give school A a possible 26 scholarships available and school B 24. School B would have a scholarship roster cap of 84 for the balance of the stolen player's eligibility, whether the stolen player stays at school B or not.

Something along those lines might work. Otherwise, College football might become more of a joke than what it has already become.

LOL, you actually think scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years? Players are really on 1 year contracts that are renewable at the pleasure of their head coach

Very well said. Couldn't agree more.

If they were employees then they would be able to Unionize.

NRLB never said they were not employees

The board did not rule directly on the central question in the case — whether the players, who spend long hours on football and help generate millions of dollars for Northwestern, are university employees. Instead, it found that the novelty of the petition and its potentially wide-ranging impacts on college sports would not have promoted “stability in labor relations.”

Citing competitive balance and the potential impact on N.C.A.A. rules, the board made it clear that it harbored many reservations about the ramifications of granting college athletes, much less a single team, collective bargaining rights.

LOL, you actually think scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years? Players are really on 1 year contracts that are renewable at the pleasure of their head coach

Of course not stupid. Like I implied. I was only throwing around an idea.

If you want players going from school to school like pogo sticks, so be it. But you'll be killing the golden goose. College football is getting harder and harder to watch every year if Penn State isn't involved, and this year has been by far the worst I can remember.

With players sitting out Bowl games, and politics picking the Playoff teams, what the crap are we all even playing for anymore???? The Rose Bowl used to mean something. Now it doesn't mean crap. We have a 2019 recruiting thread. What good is it if these kids are just mercenaries like the NFL and going to up and leave in a year??? Give me a 2 or 3 star kid that wants to stay and develop over some 5 star prima dona that goes to whomever has the richest bag man, and then flips to another school when a bigger bag man shows up.

What made College football appealing in the past is going by way of the dinosaur. It may just be coincidental, but it seems like since Joe left, the game has gone into the dumpster. No more loyalty. It's all me, me, me. The stupid new rules have turned the game into glorified Flag Football.

If you have a better idea for fixing it, I'm all frikin ears smarta$$. I'm open to anything you can come up with, because it USED to be the drop dead best game on the Planet.

Reactions: 81b&w
Of course not stupid. Like I implied. I was only throwing around an idea.

If you want players going from school to school like pogo sticks, so be it. But you'll be killing the golden goose. College football is getting harder and harder to watch every year if Penn State isn't involved, and this year has been by far the worst I can remember.

With players sitting out Bowl games, and politics picking the Playoff teams, what the crap are we all even playing for anymore???? The Rose Bowl used to mean something. Now it doesn't mean crap. We have a 2019 recruiting thread. What good is it if these kids are just mercenaries like the NFL and going to up and leave in a year??? Give me a 2 or 3 star kid that wants to stay and develop over some 5 star prima dona that goes to whomever has the richest bag man, and then flips to another school when a bigger bag man shows up.

What made College football appealing in the past is going by way of the dinosaur. It may just be coincidental, but it seems like since Joe left, the game has gone into the dumpster. No more loyalty. It's all me, me, me. The stupid new rules have turned the game into glorified Flag Football.

If you have a better idea for fixing it, I'm all frikin ears smarta$$. I'm open to anything you can come up with, because it USED to be the drop dead best game on the Planet.

It sounds like college football is changing and you don't like it. I'm sorry to say, but the sport is going to move on without you. We're not going back to the 80s

Reactions: ivan brunetti
It sounds like college football is changing and you don't like it. I'm sorry to say, but the sport is going to move on without you. We're not going back to the 80s

Nope. We're moving on to the world of minor league flag football played by a bunch of mercenaries. Have fun.

Reactions: cjrugger
And that barnstorming approach in the early part of the 20 th century was the precursor to these these transfer rules. Players came and went as they pleased.
Player movement in the early part of the 20th century was far more corrupt than today. Some players played years at one school, changed (use an alias) their name and played years at another. Grades were faked and players were paid under the table by lots of nefarious people.

The NCAA is corrupt but I don't think an open transfer rule will make things any worse.

Reactions: LionJim
You really think that will work? I'd rather we give up college football than see that happen because it would become a mess.
How many impact players attempt to transfer and when they do, how successful do they become? I think for every Troy Aikman there are probably 50 guys who never pan out. I think the resulting "chaos" would be self-correcting to a great extent also. Why would coaches invite dissension onto a team or undermine recruiting by taking an unhappy player? If you're a QB prospect, why consider OSU after this week's events?

I don't think it will be that bad to open it up and if it does get bad, then clamp down harder.

How many impact players attempt to transfer and when they do, how successful do they become? I think for every Troy Aikman there are probably 50 guys who never pan out. I think the resulting "chaos" would be self-correcting to a great extent also. Why would coaches invite dissension onto a team or undermine recruiting by taking an unhappy player? If you're a QB prospect, why consider OSU after this week's events?

I don't think it will be that bad to open it up and if it does get bad, then clamp down harder.
What's wrong with transfer rules? It brings more order to the system. You want to pay guys? Fine. You want to give them contracts? Fine. But even in the pros, there are rules governing the movement of players from team to team. For a reason.

If you have any doubt that the sensitivities of our nation have changed.. just read through some of the responses on this thread. I usually try really hard to remain cognizant of how my words make people feel but if you think you're going to kick me off a thread because we don't agree, we can go f yourself.

If you have any doubt that the sensitivities of our nation have changed.. just read through some of the responses on this thread. I usually try really hard to remain cognizant of how my words make people feel but if you think you're going to kick me off a thread because we don't agree, we can go f yourself.

The voices in your head yelling at you again?

Well in reality they're both employees- one is paid in dollars and one is paid in scholarship.

And yes there are transfer eligibility considerations that everyone goes through. And like everything in life, there are exceptions to the rules.

A student is technically a customer of education services, even if the athletic dept covers their tuition.

College football kind of sucks. Corrupt, coaches and players jump around, the Bowl system has become boring, there's no real parity.........

I'll take the NFL any day. At least they don't have to lie about what they are.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I actually thought the responses were on the mild side. Like BTO sand. You ain't seen nothing yet.

We also are a nation of complainers.

Dam straight, make Merica great Snowflake, grab her by the pu**y

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT