ADVERTISEMENT

Press Response

Franklin has an elite ego that unfortunately just can not deliver.

This is now FIVE years in a row that games have been GIVEN AWAY through a combination of various coaching strategy, playcalling and time management.

His resume’s highlights are primarily lowlights of blown 4th quarter leads.

He is a good person, a good family man.....but just a very very average football coach.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Does anyone here know if Ford was instructed not to score? From his reaction after he crossed the goal line I would say that he knew he made a mistake. Does CJF throw his players under the bus? The answer is "no".

Franklin has an elite ego that unfortunately just can not deliver.

This is now FIVE years in a row that games have been GIVEN AWAY through a combination of various coaching strategy, playcalling and time management.

His resume’s highlights are primarily lowlights of blown 4th quarter leads.

He is a good person, a good family man.....but just a very very average football coach.
I almost always agree with you but not on this. Coaches have to be social warriors now; case in point PSU basketball, PSU womens basketball, Iowa football....

I think CJF is a very good football coach. However, he is flawed. Clock management and lead protection are two issues that continue to haunt his tenure. Given that, he's restored a lot of PSU as he inherited a shit show and at a very difficult time. The only B1G team that has done better is tOSU: and they have been head and shoulders above everyone in the B1G. Unfortunately, tOSU is a minor league to the NFL. their entire program is about putting kids into the NFL. That isn't what college football is about. But if we want to win, we are going to have to recruit in CA, FL, TX and everyplace else. We need to minimize PA as this state no longer is the football talent from days gone by (Ohio in the same boat and why so many are from outside Ohio today). We need more four and five star kids to make room for primadonnas, lawn boyz, turnover chains and thank you cards.

I recall days when PSU had the largest chunk of NFL players. Today, that isn't close to being true as you compare to tOSU, UM, GA, AL, OK, LSU and Clemson. This is most apparent at QB.

This is college football today and PSU is stuck between the old paradigm and the new one. Adapt and live or ignore and die.

One more, where were the assistant coaches?

That has been a big issue for me. Between Franklin, Ciarrocca, Seider, and even Clifford (he's the QB and captain of the offense for cryin' out loud), there was no excuse for them not to get the message across to all 11 players in no uncertain terms EXACTLY what the strategy was going to be for the offense when they took the field.

Personally, I wouldn't have taken the extra risk for fumbling by including the handoff. I would have just let SC keep it and fall forward or take the knee. Regardless, there is no excuse for not having everybody on the same page as to what and how they were going to execute their strategy.

I absolutely agree about the Asst. coaches and said something very similar about Clifford. Its his (Clifford's) job almost as much as it is Franklin's. Heck if I'm Clifford I'm saying just call a QB draw and I will get what I can. Limit the cluser fuk chances like the god awful Levis Lion package and the result that we saw.
And its not even hindsight since I was hoping for the QB draw when I was watching it .

Does anyone here know if Ford was instructed not to score? From his reaction after he crossed the goal line I would say that he knew he made a mistake. Does CJF throw his players under the bus? The answer is "no".

We don’t know. The chickensh*t press was afraid to come out and ask the question. They barely even tap danced around it. Why is everyone afraid to hold this guy to account? Franklin wants to be viewed as the CEO, right? Well, CEOs get fired when they under perform. Look at the results:

2016 - A great year. Beat two teams ranked higher than us: OSU and Wisconsin. These are the only times we have beaten an opponent ranked higher than PSU in the Top 25 under Franklin.

2017 - Losses to 2 teams ranked lower than PSU: OSU and MSU.

2018 - Losses to 2 teams ranked lower than PSU: MSU and Kentucky in the Bowl Game. Also, a near loss to opening opponent, App State.

2019 - Loss to lower-ranked Minnesota.

2020 - Loss to unranked Indiana.

I firmly believe that Franklin was the guy to take us from bad to good, and good to great, but he is not going to get this team to elite. The on-field results show a lack of preparedness and discipline. There has been some very questionable assistant hires made, which directly contribute to the lack of WR talent on scholarship and committed for 2021.

All I want out of Franklin is a little humility. Stop acting like you’re beyond reproach. I don’t expect him to beat OSU every year, but I do expect not to look like a dumpster fire against an unranked, perennial also-ran Big 10 team.

Anyone who wants to fire off the “But Indiana is good this year!” retort simply possesses a loser’s mindset. Anyone who wants to talk about game stats and how much of a fluke loss this was is sticking their head in the sand and not understanding the larger problem. You know, Purdue usually puts up big stats yet loses games to teams they shouldn’t. Are we happy being Purdue?

These are the teams you dominate when you have the talent and resources Penn State has. No excuses. Stop making them for Franklin.

Last edited:
There things I just don’t understand. If there were 3 timeouts in your pocket why not take one and huddle the offense and tell them not to score, why even hand the ball off, take a knee. One more, where were the assistant coaches?

Watch the replay of that fateful TD. There was not an offensive player celebrating when he scored. The nearest OL turned and looked dejected. They were told, Ford screwed the pooch. It sucks.

Bingo....you nailed it....What a perfect example of circumstantial evidence....I am going to use this as an example at some point.
:rolleyes:
So you don’t think Ford trying to stop and then stepping back out is an indication he knew not to score? Or that everyone else on the team was doing their best WTF look?
Interesting. I guess it’s the first time I've ever seen a RB look both ways before crossing the goal line.

Last edited:
Freiermuth confirmed in his postgame interview that the coaches had told the team not to score and that the team didn't execute. I wouldn't expect CJF to say that because he's rightly not going to call out a player like that publicly.
LOL Franklin goes up to the QB BEFORE they take the field and says take 3 knees.

You don't go to the entire offensive team on the sideline and say don't score .

LOL Franklin goes up to the QB BEFORE they take the field and says take 3 knees.

You don't go to the entire offensive team on the sideline and say don't score .

I guess that mass huddle on the sidelines is just for show?

Yeah. You absolutely do.

Reactions: lionroar88
Did Indiana have all of their timeouts?
No. They had 1. Do the math.
1:42 Take a knee, to. 1:36 left
1:36 Take a knee, 1:32 clock runs 40 sec.
:56 3rd down take a knee, :52 clock runs to 12 sec.
Kick a field goal, clock runs to 8 sec.
Kickoff
First down IU ONE PLAY LEFT AT OWN 25

GAME.

I don't agree with this hypothesis, but maybe what they were looking for with the handoff was a 1st down and not a TD. With 3 addl snaps after a 1st down that totally bleeds the clock to 0:00. If IU is going to hand you a 1st down, you take it. Not how I would have handled it, too cute, but.... \_0_/.

I don't agree with this hypothesis, but maybe what they were looking for with the handoff was a 1st down and not a TD. With 3 addl snaps after a 1st down that totally bleeds the clock to 0:00. If IU is going to hand you a 1st down, you take it. Not how I would have handled it, too cute, but.... \_0_/.
Franklin said that was their goal... get the first down then go down. Ford just had a brain fart, it happens.

Watch the replay of that fateful TD. There was not an offensive player celebrating when he scored. The nearest OL turned and looked dejected. They were told, Ford screwed the pooch. It sucks.

Why is everybody ready to condemn Ford? Bottom line is that he should not have handled the ball in the first place. Will repeat a prior post; take knee; game over.

I can only imagine what would have happened if PSU kicks a FG and has it blocked and returned for a TD. Or turns it over on downs only to have IU bust a 90yd TD pass.

No one is taking this loss harder than the team. As Jimmy Buffett says, breathe in, breathe out, move on. Chance to shock the world again this week. And if they don’t, refer to 2016.

I can only imagine what would have happened if PSU kicks a FG and has it blocked and returned for a TD. Or turns it over on downs only to have IU bust a 90yd TD pass.

No one is taking this loss harder than the team. As Jimmy Buffett says, breathe in, breathe out, move on. Chance to shock the world again this week. And if they don’t, refer to 2016.

Exactly.....I posted this on Saturday....Can you imagine if we would have taken a knee and left 15 seconds on the Clock, and Indiana pulled of some tip drill play where they won (think Auburn v. Georgia)..This place would have been screaming at CJF for not running out the clock.....

The card says to take the knee at 1:22. According to whom at the B1G? A talking head.

Clock - 1:47
1st Down​
PSU takes snap QB holds ball as long as possible; takes knee. Approx. 5 seconds conservatively.
Clock - 1:42IU takes time-out.
Clock - 1:42
2nd Down​
PSU snaps ball QB holds ball as long as possible; takes knee. Approx. 5 seconds or so.
Clock – 1:37 & running
3rd Down​
PSU snaps ball with 2 seconds on Time Clock.
Clock – 0:59 & runningPSU QB holds ball as long as possible; takes knee. Approx. 5 seconds or so.
Clock – 0:54 & running
4th Down​
Clock – 0:16 & runningPSU QB holds ball as long as possible; takes knee. Approx. 5 seconds or so.
Clock – 0:11Change of PossessionIU snaps ball – now prevent defense.
Clock – 0:00WE WIN!

The card says to take the knee at 1:22. According to whom at the B1G? A talking head.

1st Down​
PSU takes snap QB holds ball as long as possible; takes knee. Approx. 5 seconds conservatively.
2nd Down​
PSU snaps ball QB holds ball as long as possible; takes knee. Approx. 5 seconds or so.
3rd Down​
Clock – 0:59 & runningPSU QB holds ball as long as possible; takes knee. Approx. 5 seconds or so.
4th Down​
Clock – 0:16 & runningPSU QB holds ball as long as possible; takes knee. Approx. 5 seconds or so.
Don't shoot the messenger. I hate Urban as much as anyone else here. Actually there's a lot of Urban lovers here.

The staff had what amounted to a really long timeout while the review was taking place. The risk of a fumble on the exchange could have been eliminated with a keeper all the way. Ford’s reaction to me is more of a “what is going on?” as opposed to “WTF did I just do?”

I just don’t buy that it was drilled into them to drop after getting what you can. Why take the chance of a stripped ball running into traffic?

1st Down​
2nd Down​
3rd Down​
4th Down​
The chart says to run a play in order to prevent the change of possession. It's subjective as to which play should be run. Many here say Clifford should have kept the ball the whole time. What if they do that and Clifford fumbles? Then everyone complains about that play call instead. Obviously Franklin was comfortable with a relatively low risk handoff. Hindsight is 20/20. Nobody would be bitching about the play called if Ford had gone down like he was supposed to, it was a matter of poor execution. There's not a definitive answer as to which play to run but the math is definitive... a play must be run if you want to completely run out the clock.

• Wow
Reactions: psu1969a
I just don’t buy that it was drilled into them to drop after getting what you can.
So you have absolutely none of the relevant information to make an informed decision, but yet you still have somehow determined that the coaches are to blame. That makes zero sense. BTW, Freiermuth said post game that the plan was to not score and they didn't execute. I don't have all of the necessary information either because I wasn't on the sideline or in the huddle, but when Franklin and a player that are both saying that the plan was to get the first down and go down, I'm inclined to believe them.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: psu1969a
So you have absolutely none of the relevant information to make an informed decision, but yet you still have somehow determined that the coaches are to blame. That makes zero sense. BTW, Freiermuth said post game that the plan was to not score and they didn't execute. I don't have all of the necessary information either because I wasn't on the sideline or in the huddle, but when Franklin and a player that were are both saying that the plan was to get the first down and go down, I'm inclined to believe them.

Why give the ball to a redshirt FR/Soph. who starts running and a BIG freakin' hole opens. You are the runner funning at full speed and concentrating on not fumbling BTW; what would you do?

The chart says to run a play in order to prevent the change of possession. It's subjective as to which play should be run. Many here say Clifford should have kept the ball the whole time. What if they do that and Clifford fumbles? Then everyone complains about that play call instead. Obviously Franklin was comfortable with a relatively low risk handoff. Hindsight is 20/20. Nobody would be bitching about the play called if Ford had gone down like he was supposed to, it was a matter of poor execution. There's not a definitive answer as to which play to run but the math is definitive... a play must be run if you want to completely run out the clock.
Every exchange increase the odds of a problem (fumble). Of course you want to completely run out the clock if you can. But not at the expense of scoring (what did happen) or being stripped (like what happened to Indiana when they should have taken a knee in the 1st hand).

If Ford made such a huge error, was he held accountable for it (not that I noticed).

These things will continue to happen until someone is held accountable.

Does that chart include where the ball was? Making the other team go 80 yards in one play is far less risky then what PSU did. Coaches protect each other. Every coach HS and college that I know personally said they would have taken knees. Ask the Detroit Lions how it worked out for them.

Does that chart include where the ball was? Making the other team go 80 yards in one play is far less risky then what PSU did. Coaches protect each other. Every coach HS and college that I know personally said they would have taken knees. Ask the Detroit Lions how it worked out for them.
Watch the viseo.

The weekly press conference and the Wednesday scrum are starting to become a joke.

"Coach Franklin could tell us about the development of Keaton Ellis"
"Coach Franklin could you tell us how much you will miss Noah Cain"
"Coach Franklin could you tell us what you had for breakfast today"
And my favorite:
"Coach Franklin can you tell us what a great kid your long snapper is"

The Penn State Press is a freaking joke to Franklin's face.....they will write bad about him, but never straight up ask him and let him defend himself.

The weekly press conference and the Wednesday scrum are starting to become a joke.

And my favorite:

The Penn State Press is a freaking joke to Franklin's face.....they will write bad about him, but never straight up ask him and let him defend himself.
Joe was the same way. He was really snarky with the media for many years so they stopped asking tough questions and it was just a feel good story with every media event.

Reactions: Texas Lion

And my favorite:

What do you expect? Keep harping on the loss? If a reporter did that to me, they’d be ignored. The HC needs to remain positive, not air dirty laundry to the public and keep the team focused and motivated on what’s directly in front of them (plus a million other things).

In a game about 15 years ago, ( forget what level ) player takes a kick off at the 1 backs into the end zone takes a knee, bam safety.

Maybe 20 years ago PS - OSU at the Beav, PS kicks off, left to right, ball is squibbing to end zone, OSU doesn't touch it, fans are screaming to hop on it in the end zone, thinking it's like an on side kick, it's just a dead ball.

I think DF lost his bearings, lost in the moment, or thought he could come back out, just speculating here, but the obvious will fall on the coaches.

Reactions: MacNit07
Also, you don't take the ball out of Clifford's hands. Your QB is supposed to be the guy that can think quick and make decisions....don't hand it to the guy with LSD in his dorm room.
What do you expect? Keep harping on the loss? If a reporter did that to me, they’d be ignored. The HC needs to remain positive, not air dirty laundry to the public and keep the team focused and motivated on what’s directly in front of them (plus a million other things).

Thats the problem, nobody ever asks him the tough questions....the time they did he went off on some kind of stupid rant. You don't get better if you don't man up to your mistakes. I am telling you, he is becoming borderline Brian Kelly. I don't care if Ford is 100% at fault here. James needs a question so he can take the blame.

Reactions: MacNit07
Also, you don't take the ball out of Clifford's hands. Your QB is supposed to be the guy that can think quick and make decisions....don't hand it to the guy with LSD in his dorm room.

Thats the problem, nobody ever asks him the tough questions....the time they did he went off on some kind of stupid rant. You don't get better if you don't man up to your mistakes. I am telling you, he is becoming borderline Brian Kelly. I don't care if Ford is 100% at fault here. James needs a question so he can take the blame.

>>don't hand it to the guy with LSD in his dorm room<<
Yea if only he would have "tripped" before he crossed the goal line. :eek:

Reactions: katchthis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT