ADVERTISEMENT

Press Response

Also, you don't take the ball out of Clifford's hands. Your QB is supposed to be the guy that can think quick and make decisions....don't hand it to the guy with LSD in his dorm room.

Thats the problem, nobody ever asks him the tough questions....the time they did he went off on some kind of stupid rant. You don't get better if you don't man up to your mistakes. I am telling you, he is becoming borderline Brian Kelly. I don't care if Ford is 100% at fault here. James needs a question so he can take the blame.
Correct. He owes it to YOU to answer for his mistakes. For this, he will become an elite coach.

Um, wait. Did you ever see Saban when he's interviewed?

Correct. He owes it to YOU to answer for his mistakes. For this, he will become an elite coach.

Um, wait. Did you ever see Saban when he's interviewed?

Hahahahaha, he gets to the level of Nick Saban he can answer a question any way he wants. Until then he needs to stand there and accept accountability and protect his players. Recruits are watching.....unless you want to blame Covid for the 2021 Class looking like it does.

Hahahahaha, he gets to the level of Nick Saban he can answer a question any way he wants. Until then he needs to stand there and accept accountability and protect his players. Recruits are watching.....unless you want to blame Covid for the 2021 Class looking like it does.
Right. He can't answer the questions the way he wants like Nick Saban. It has to be your way. You set the rules. I get it.

Last edited:
Watch the replay of that fateful TD. There was not an offensive player celebrating when he scored. The nearest OL turned and looked dejected. They were told, Ford screwed the pooch. It sucks.
But...but...but...were they told...HEY GUYS...INDIANA WANTS you to score. They might throw you into the End Zone. DON’T fall for it. How much was it stressed? Ford was confused. He shouldn’t have been. It’s on the coaches.

But...but...but...were they told...HEY GUYS...INDIANA WANTS you to score. They might throw you into the End Zone. DON’T fall for it. How much was it stressed? Ford was confused. He shouldn’t have been. It’s on the coaches.

Thank you. Reminds me of a University that I used to work at. They had a WR, nice kid but just could get out of his own way as far as passing classes or off field decisions, mostly off field decisions. Had great hands and thus also held for FG and XP. Teams lost 2 games that season. Both times he dropped the snap on a chip shot FG to win the game. Moral of the story.....don't put game deciding decisions in the hands of players that aren't mature enough off the field yet.

I don't care how many times they told Ford what to do. The ball should have never left Clifford's hands and that is on the coaches.

Thank you. Reminds me of a University that I used to work at. They had a WR, nice kid but just could get out of his own way as far as passing classes or off field decisions, mostly off field decisions. Had great hands and thus also held for FG and XP. Teams lost 2 games that season. Both times he dropped the snap on a chip shot FG to win the game. Moral of the story.....don't put game deciding decisions in the hands of players that aren't mature enough off the field yet.

I don't care how many times they told Ford what to do. The ball should have never left Clifford's hands and that is on the coaches.

Wait, what happens if that "not yet mature enough player" is the QB?

He knew and blew it. Giving Ford the ball was dumb in the first place.
A possible fumble could have happened.
QB holds the ball until he is touch! With the Indy D relaxed, he could have run a good bit of the time off of the clock.
Indy uses their last time out.
Game Over!

Poor coaching!

Reactions: MacNit07
Joe was the same way. He was really snarky with the media for many years so they stopped asking tough questions and it was just a feel good story with every media event.
WOAH, someone has a bad memory. Joe didn't always hate the press. He used to have Friday night dinners with them and drink Old Fashioneds and smoke camel no filters with them in the 60s and 70s. He WAS asked tough questions up until the very end, and if you got on his bad side like Ronnie Christ, you were simply bounced out of the locker room. Joe shot dead straight up with the press and in Zero ways did he ever resemble Franklin and his rah rah bs. Joe would have taken a knee by the way and anyone saying different doesn't know him

Excellent link. This MF'r should be pinned.

I mean, taking a knee is running a play isn't it? You don't go down right away - you get the snap, back up a bit, and take a knee as soon as someone gets to you. If IU's play was to not play, would have taken them a while to get to our QB I think (especially if they're not trying at first).

I mean, taking a knee is running a play isn't it? You don't go down right away - you get the snap, back up a bit, and take a knee as soon as someone gets to you. If IU's play was to not play, would have taken them a while to get to our QB I think (especially if they're not trying at first).

I dont know. Meyer didn't act like it. Especially with the TO that Indy had and the time still left on the clock.
At the time I wanted Clifford to just run up the middle and slide down at the 5. I guess my point is that its not as cut and dry as
everyone is making it out to be.

I dont know. Meyer didn't act like it. Especially with the TO that Indy had and the time still left on the clock.
At the time I wanted Clifford to just run up the middle and slide down at the 5. I guess my point is that its not as cut and dry as

I guess. I think getting the first down and then kneeling/sliding/whatever was the play; just didn't work out.

Reactions: BBrown

It’s cut and dry if you’re objective is to FIRE. FRANKLIN. o_O .

WOAH, someone has a bad memory. Joe didn't always hate the press. He used to have Friday night dinners with them and drink Old Fashioneds and smoke camel no filters with them in the 60s and 70s. He WAS asked tough questions up until the very end, and if you got on his bad side like Ronnie Christ, you were simply bounced out of the locker room. Joe shot dead straight up with the press and in Zero ways did he ever resemble Franklin and his rah rah bs. Joe would have taken a knee by the way and anyone saying different doesn't know him
The entire reason for Joe's Friday night press junkets - as well as Joe and Tarman's whirlwind press tours with the suitcases full of liquor - was part of a "rah rah" effort to relentlessly sell the program during a time that programs in the northeast weren't respected on a national level. But make no mistake - Joe was a relentless salesman of the Penn State football program in the earlier decades, in a similar (considering the different eras) fashion to what Franklin does now.

In the later years - specifically, after Joe's off the record, tongue in cheek "Switzers and Sherills of the world" comment was repeated in the press - Joe took on a more adversarial relationship with the press. As a result, the questions tended to get tougher because the relationships weren't there. That only got worse as the questions about his retirement became more frequent.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN and BBrown
I did. What is your point?
A coach that won multiple national championships said it was the correct call just not the correct execution. I don't have those kind of credentials so I'll defer to him.

Wait, what happens if that "not yet mature enough player" is the QB?

If by chance the QB is immature then you make alternative plans

I love Franklin and think he is awesome. I just dont understand why so many people have a hard time saying it was Franklins fault. He is a 47 year old CEO of a fortune 500 company....and in the most important meeting of the year he brought the janitor.

I'm not saying I know more about football than him, but in this case I don't care if he is Lombardi. You don't hand the ball off. That is the riskiest move on their 13 yard line when two 40 second rundowns is 1 min and 20 seconds alone. 4 knees is another 15 seconds but more can be taken. Worst case scenario is that leaves IU one play to go the length of the field.
Should what they did have worked? Yes. But it is riskier than not handing it off. Meyer said he has never seen that before only heard of it. I find that hard to believe. I haven't seen his chart, but I have seen a similar chart. Most are time charts only. The position of the ball on the field is almost as important as the time on the clock. At my 35, absolutely try to get a first down. At their 13 in that situation, no way. I wonder what Meyer would say off the record. The coaching fraternity which I am a part of does everything it can not to throw anyone under the bus.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I'm not saying I know more about football than him, but in this case I don't care if he is Lombardi. You don't hand the ball off. That is the riskiest move on their 13 yard line when two 40 second rundowns is 1 min and 20 seconds alone. 4 knees is another 15 seconds but more can be taken. Worst case scenario is that leaves IU one play to go the length of the field.
Should what they did have worked? Yes. But it is riskier than not handing it off. Meyer said he has never seen that before only heard of it. I find that hard to believe. I haven't seen his chart, but I have seen a similar chart. Most are time charts only. The position of the ball on the field is almost as important as the time on the clock. At my 35, absolutely try to get a first down. At their 13 in that situation, no way. I wonder what Meyer would say off the record. The coaching fraternity which I am a part of does everything it can not to throw anyone under the bus.

Taking a knee is running a play. Did Meyer mean to say 'handing the ball off' is the right call? I guess that's the implication. Taking a knee and having a RB tackled at the LOS or in the backfield is the same result. The other thing that can happen from handing the ball off (other than fumbling) is what happened - you score to soon and pay the price.

I don't want him fired, and I think it was a terrible decision.

If you're at all critical of Franklin, well....

1Oah.gif

Clifford's feet brought the team back, Clifford was voted a team captain, Clifford is a 2 year starting QB.....Franklin would never have taken the ball out of Trace's hand in that situation and they had Barkley!!!

Why is soso hard to say that Franklin made a mistake and should own up to it? I don't get it.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Taking a knee is running a play. Did Meyer mean to say 'handing the ball off' is the right call? I guess that's the implication. Taking a knee and having a RB tackled at the LOS or in the backfield is the same result. The other thing that can happen from handing the ball off (other than fumbling) is what happened - you score to soon and pay the price.
I assume that is what he meant as well. I worry a lot about slippage, whether mental or physical. When the win is assured, try to eliminate slippage. A snap to the quarterback is the most risk I would be willing to take when the other team will have to go 80 yards in one play. I like Franklin. I believe he will get to a CFP. At the end of the day, this game is the one you could afford to lose and still win the Big or get to the CFP. You have to beat OSU to get there. I doubt IU only loses 1 game. If PSU wins out, this loss will be overlooked.

It's Thursday night, why in the world are we still talking about this. I'm over it, it's Ohio State game week.

Reactions: 81b&w
If you're at all critical of Franklin, well....

1Oah.gif
Yep. I swear a percentage of this board is only on it to scream at anyone who questions anything the coach does. Not just football either because some of them jumped at anything critical of Chambers.

Absolutely top 10 with a bullet - spot on!

I assume that is what he meant as well. I worry a lot about slippage, whether mental or physical. When the win is assured, try to eliminate slippage. A snap to the quarterback is the most risk I would be willing to take when the other team will have to go 80 yards in one play. I like Franklin. I believe he will get to a CFP. At the end of the day, this game is the one you could afford to lose and still win the Big or get to the CFP. You have to beat OSU to get there. I doubt IU only loses 1 game. If PSU wins out, this loss will be overlooked.
Win out? If we do happen to play all eight games, that will not be happening.

I give him some latitude. Crazy year incomparable to any other. Team was unprepared but we didn't have a warm up game or a home game before going on there road. Then they're is this whole pandemic thing I've been reading about
RUTGERS at MSU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT