ADVERTISEMENT

Press Response

hotmetal

Jun 7, 2004
Let's see how the reporters question Franklin this week. It should be interesting but I'm betting we don't get any clarity.

Reactions: psu1969a
“I need to do a better job.”

andy-reid-at-press-conference-01c2af4f79d265db.jpg

Even if they ask the questions, Franklin will give us his usual nonsense about how he only wants to focus forward on Ohio State. I feel like the fans are owed some accountability and ownership.

I have historically been very pro-Franklin, but his in-game ineptitude and inability to prepare this team was on full display Saturday. He lost my support and it’s time for him to go.

Even if they ask the questions, Franklin will give us his usual nonsense about how he only wants to focus forward on Ohio State. I feel like the fans are owed some accountability and ownership.

I have historically been very pro-Franklin, but his in-game ineptitude and inability to prepare this team was on full display Saturday. He lost my support and it’s time for him to go.
I give him some latitude. Crazy year incomparable to any other. Team was unprepared but we didn't have a warm up game or a home game before going on there road. Then they're is this whole pandemic thing I've been reading about

I give him some latitude. Crazy year incomparable to any other. Team was unprepared but we didn't have a warm up game or a home game before going on there road. Then they're is this whole pandemic thing I've been reading about
Check my history - I’ve been supportive of Franklin and *still* am but he’s in the same position as 13 other B1G teams - his supposed or desired peers were ready and kicked ass.

What’s Franklin’s excuse?

What irks me is that Franklin often emphasizes how detail oriented he is. Remember the MSU game with the long delay. He was quick to tell everyone that he was going to script out how to handle a 3 hour game delay because that was entirely new to him. Fair enough. But it's very curious that we don't have a plan to kneel and end a game or other rather mundane situations. It's completely unacceptable and it's his mistake. Ford should have never touched the ball. Clifford should have been given explicate instructions to kneel.

Franklin will address it in his opening statement, and will not take any questions on it

And why should he? The Indiana game is over and the focus needs to be on OSU. Ruminating about something that is over is the best way I can think of to guarantee a butt kicking on Saturday.

• Sad
Reactions: psu1969a
Check my history - I’ve been supportive of Franklin and *still* am but he’s in the same position as 13 other B1G teams - his supposed or desired peers were ready and kicked ass.

I guess you missed how Minny kicked butt against Michigan and MSU did the same thing to Rutgers.

And why should he? The Indiana game is over and the focus needs to be on OSU. Ruminating about something that is over is the best way I can think of to guarantee a butt kicking on Saturday.
Not owning and putting a plan to correct very simple mistakes is another way. O$U was kicking our butt no matter the outcome of Saturday.

Yep. Me too. Time for a change. Too much evidence now of an incompetent decision maker.

Reactions: MacNit07

oh yeah. you know what you are right. we probably can lure saban, dabo, urban, hell maybe we can get stoops out of retirement. who do you suggest we go after? i think we all would like to know.

oh yeah. you know what you are right. we probably can lure saban, dabo, urban, hell maybe we can get stoops out of retirement. who do you suggest we go after? i think we all would like to know.

Sigh. Honestly - what ever happened to civil discourse? I stated my opinion, and I am aware enough to know what an opinion on a message board is worth.

I would honestly be happy to answer this question, but you were never really interested in having a real conversation about it, were you?

Reactions: jbenedict
Yawn, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

He ain’t wrong.
I guess you missed how Minny kicked butt against Michigan and MSU did the same thing to Rutgers.

I understand your point, but Minnesota had a ton of key players out dude to COVID including several o-linemen, kicker and punter. Did you watch the game? I did. If Minny had their guys, I really doubt Michigan wins.

MSU and Rutgers are two teams in transition with new coaching staffs. That game was always going to be a toss up.

Indy is a good team, but one that Penn State should beat, full stop. We have no excuses. We looked unprepared, undisciplined, and inept. When we finally found a spark, a miscommunication or lack of communication happened. Does that mean it’s 100% on Franklin? I cannot answer that. But Franklin is not beyond reproach. He needs to stop the cloak and dagger and be transparent about what happened. It’s admirable if he is trying to take heat off Ford, but tell us what’s up. Does he owe us an answer? I feel that he does, and I will also understand if he does not. But if he does not, it won’t be a good look and it only reaffirms for me that he isn’t the right guy for this program. Show us some humility and tell us what was learned and how we will be better going forward. I think that would appease many of us who are frustrated.

Just a guess but maybe missing NFL-ready LB and starting RB with the backup RB injured early coupled with new OC, OL, DL and WR coaches had something to do with it 😎.

There things I just don’t understand. If there were 3 timeouts in your pocket why not take one and huddle the offense and tell them not to score, why even hand the ball off, take a knee. One more, where were the assistant coaches?

Just a guess but maybe missing NFL-ready LB and starting RB with the backup RB injured early coupled with new OC, OL, DL and WR coaches had something to do with it 😎.

I agree with this. I don't think anyone can minimize the impact of the coaching changes and the impact on cohesion and preparedness. Given the constraints of the virus, these guys haven't had that much time together. This will get better.

It is, however, fair to critique the time management of James. That is one demonstrable area that he hasn't shown appreciative progress.

There things I just don’t understand. If there were 3 timeouts in your pocket why not take one and huddle the offense and tell them not to score, why even hand the ball off, take a knee. One more, where were the assistant coaches?

One more, where were the assistant coaches?

That has been a big issue for me. Between Franklin, Ciarrocca, Seider, and even Clifford (he's the QB and captain of the offense for cryin' out loud), there was no excuse for them not to get the message across to all 11 players in no uncertain terms EXACTLY what the strategy was going to be for the offense when they took the field.

Personally, I wouldn't have taken the extra risk for fumbling by including the handoff. I would have just let SC keep it and fall forward or take the knee. Regardless, there is no excuse for not having everybody on the same page as to what and how they were going to execute their strategy.

Reactions: BBrown
One more, where were the assistant coaches?

That has been a big issue for me. Between Franklin, Ciarrocca, Seider, and even Clifford (he's the QB and captain of the offense for cryin' out loud), there was no excuse for them not to get the message across to all 11 players in no uncertain terms EXACTLY what the strategy was going to be for the offense when they took the field.

Personally, I wouldn't have taken the extra risk for fumbling by including the handoff. I would have just let SC keep it and fall forward or take the knee. Regardless, there is no excuse for not having everybody on the same page as to what and how they were going to execute their strategy.
Absolutely zero excuse. Will there be any accountability? It will tell-tale.

Be prepared for:
lots of “obviously”,
lots of respect for Coach Day and the OSU program,
not going to dwell on the past,
Focus has been solely on Ohio St since Sunday 12:01 AM

We don't have to. All we have to do is hire someone with the common sense to take 3 knees.
Just like the Atlanta Falcons. The plan was to run the clock out and kick the game winning field goal with little time left. Hurley ran it in leaving the Lions enough time to come back and win the game. So a pro coach was just as stupid.

Reactions: BBrown
Obviously looking forward obviously to a great team in Ohio obviously state. It’s obviously going to be a big challenge obviously have to put last game obviously behind us this week it Ohio obviously State...

I agree with this. I don't think anyone can minimize the impact of the coaching changes and the impact on cohesion and preparedness. Given the constraints of the virus, these guys haven't had that much time together. This will get better.

It is, however, fair to critique the time management of James. That is one demonstrable area that he hasn't shown appreciative progress.

Coaches had plenty of time together either face-to-face or via Zoom. As for getting ready, 3 - 4 weeks of practice is plenty of time to get ready.

Let us get off the Ford B.S. He should not have touched the ball in our last possession. Take 4 knees; game over.

As an after thought, why after holding IU for 4 downs wasn't our defense able to hold IU for the final minute and they didn't even need their last timeout.

Last edited:
Be prepared for:
lots of “obviously”,
lots of respect for Coach Day and the OSU program,
not going to dwell on the past,
Focus has been solely on Ohio St since Sunday 12:01 AM

Last Saturday evening:

“We’ll enjoy this loss for a few hours, and then we’ll focus on getting ready for ohio state.”

Reactions: bluewhiteApos
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT