ADVERTISEMENT

Powerade seeds released

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012
http://www.papowerwrestling.com/2016-powerade-seeds-released/

Joey Blumer gets the #3 seed at 145, slated to face Verkleeren in the semis, winner gets Gissendanner in the finals. Kurt McHenry gets the top seed at 106.

They're all tough brackets, but these are some real meat-grinders:
- 195: 1 Woodley, 2 Hoffman, 3 Nye, 4 McCracken, 5 Walters
- 120: 1 Teasdale, 2 Bartlett, 3 Macri
- 152: 1 Coy, 2 Glasgow, 3 Griffith, 4 Thomas, 5 Starocci
- 220: 1 Adams, 2 Duggan, 3 Jones

Reactions: diggerpup
For the more casual fans, which guys have legit PSU interest (wrestler and staff) that I should look to follow? I am looking to catch some of the action on Friday. TIA

I can't speak to "legitimate interest," but here are some guys I'd keep an eye on (some we've mentioned before):
- 106: Kurt McKenry
- 113: Sam Hillegas (#2 freshman in PA after Bartlett. Don't be surprised if he places fairly high, despite being unseeded), Beau Bayless
- 120: Beau Bartlett, Colton Camacho
- 126: Nick Coy
- 132: Jack Blumer
- 138: Cole Matthews
- 145: Joey Blumer (PSU commit)
- 152: Carter Starocci, Gerrit Nijenhuis (another top 5 PA freshman)
- Any of the top guys at 195 and 220. I don't think we get any of them, but these are 2 really strong weights, and some of these guys (especially Hoffman) will pile up points if given the chance.
- 285: Isaac Reid, Kawuan DeBoe

McHenry, Hillegas, Bartlett, Nijenhuis are at the top of every school's radar.

After that, "PSU interest" is a loaded question because a lot of guys are stuck in between -- good enough to start and maybe medal elsewhere, but might never break into Cael's All-World lineup. For example: Matthews could reasonably finish 1-3-1-1 at Hershey, with his only loss in the semis to Brian Courtney last year ... and likely isn't beating out Nick Lee, Joe Lee, or Brady Berge.

Honestly, I'd just watch this for the quality of wrestling, rather than a PSU recruiting angle. Bucknell will probably haul in more recruits from this tournament than we do.

I can't speak to "legitimate interest," but here are some guys I'd keep an eye on (some we've mentioned before):
- 113: Sam Hillegas (#2 freshman in PA after Bartlett. Don't be surprised if he places fairly high, despite being unseeded), Beau Bayless
- Any of the top guys at 195 and 220. I don't think we get any of them, but these are 2 really strong weights, and some of these guys (especially Hoffman) will pile up points if given the chance.

After that, "PSU interest" is a loaded question because a lot of guys are stuck in between -- good enough to start and maybe medal elsewhere, but might never break into Cael's All-World lineup. For example: Matthews could reasonably finish 1-3-1-1 at Hershey, with his only loss in the semis to Brian Courtney last year ... and likely isn't beating out Nick Lee, Joe Lee, or Brady Berge.

Honestly, I'd just watch this for the quality of wrestling, rather than a PSU recruiting angle. Bucknell will probably haul in more recruits from this tournament than we do.
Honest to God. Ten years ago could you have even imagined such an assessment of the Powerade talent from a Penn State perspective. The distance this program has transversed in such a short period of time is mind boggling.

Cael recruits nationally now. Look at the classes since 2013.

Nolf, Nickel, Nevills brothers, Stout, Joseph, Rasheed, Cortez, Suriano, Cassar, Hall, Berge, RBY, The Lee brothers, Manville, Wittlake, etc. Only 3 out 17 from Pa.

McHenry is a great 125 and fits in well being a sophomore.

Reactions: LemonPie

106:
Kurt McHenry is in to the semis

113:
Hillegas and Bayless are in to the semis, and on opposite halves of the bracket

120:
Teasdale will face Camacho in one semi, and Bartlett will Macri in the other semi

126:
Coy lost to J. Davis (Wyo Sem) in the quarters, 4-7

132:
Jack Blumer lost to C. Morris (Waynesburg), 1-3, in the round of 32. He pinned his opponent in the Consolation pigtail, then lost 0-9 in the Consolation R1.

138:
Matthews made it to the semis

145:
Joey Blumer lost in the quarters to J. Pipa of Bishop McDevitt, 4-7. His next consolation match is against W. Moss of Wyo. Sem.

152:
Starocci made it to the semis, where he'll face Cameron Coy (tough matchup). Gerrit Nijenhuis made it to the quarters, where he lost to Glasgow, 10-18.

285:
They've yet to wrestle the quarters. Reid and DeBoe made it to the quarters.

106 McHenry and 113 Hillegas into the finals.

Macri beat Bartlett 3-2, will face Teasdale in the 120 finals.

Following up on my earlier summary:

106:
Kurt McHenry took 1st, winning the championship 9-3

113:
Hillegas took 1st, winning the championship 4-2. Bayless got pinned in the consolation semis, and then lost the 5th/6th match, to place 6th.

120:
Teasdale took 1st. Camacho lost to Teasdale in the semis, 18-8, and Bartlett lost to Macri in the other semi, 2-3. Bartlett took 3rd, with a 6-0 dec. Camacho lost 1-2 in the consolation semis, and then lost the 5th/6th match, 1-3, to place 6th.

126:
Coy lost in the consolation quarters, then got pinned in the 7th/8th match, to take 8th.

138:
Matthews took 1st, winning 5-4 in the final.

145: Joey Blumer won 2 in the consolations, then lost in the consi semis. He won the 5th/6th match, 4-3, to take 5th.

152:
Starocci lost in the semis to Cameron Coy, 6-11. He made it to the consolation finals, where he lost 0-3 to take 4th place. Gerrit Nijenhuis made it to the consolation semis, where he lost to Starocci, 1-3. He won the 5th/6th match, 11-9, to take 5th.

285:
Reid and DeBoe both lost in the semis. They then won their respective consolation semis. Reid defeated DeBoe in the consolation final, 2-0, so Reid took 3rd and DeBoe took 4th.

And that's a wrap on the guys that El-Jefe mentioned in his earlier post.

Spencer Lee won the 126 final, 9-0, over J. Davis of Wy. Sem.

Cole Rhone from Benton had a nice day , beat a seeded kid from WV , Gavin Park , and Camacho. Finished 5th well above his 8th seed. He has 3 losses on the year Teasdale , Davis (SEM) , and Bartlett. He's a Junior , typically tough Benton kid. Depending on grades , he could be a good room guy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT