ADVERTISEMENT

Post fOSU Match Coaches Interviews

Tato has responded exceptionally well to the humility treatments he’s been getting from Dr. Sanderson. He seems so grounded and pleasant these days. If he keeps with the treatments, I might have to start liking him publicly.

Last edited:
for anyone that hasn't listened; Tom Ryan did a good job answering questions...I liked how he answered, no big excuses, nothing but reality in my opinion. Well done.

It wasnt a TNT presser but it was good. He was very complimentary to our guys and real about the events last night.

He will be so happy to see Bo gone.

agreed. Good honest response considering the circumstances. While I don’t believe it was intentional, I do think he sold us a little short, regarding the loss by Pletcher and McKenna. Even if they’d have won those matches they still
would have lost the meet by 7.

Didn't TaTo seem less animated in the corner than in previous matches last night?Maybe RBY and Nick took the wind and of his sails. Damn, I'm starting to like the guy.

Reactions: bbedford62
While Ryan loves the cameras and getting air time, I will give him major props for being forthright post-match and post-tournament. He was very honest and candid after the PSU dual last night, which had to hurt getting steamrolled like that in front of your home crowd. Same goes for his comments after the 2018 NCAA tournament, which had to be an absolute kick in the groin - he had the highest scoring 2nd place team in tournament history.

...it was interesting that Ryan admitted he threw the brick in McKenna's bout to give him a lung break...! :(
...and I guess Kollin Moore has no love for Penn State ... ranked #1 last year and lost to Cassar in the dual meet 6-3 ... ranked #2 this year and got pinned by Bo Nickal... :(

Last edited:
Sounded like he admitted using the challenge brick for a lung break? I didn't expect that...

Edit: beaten to that point by Androcles

Reactions: lionlover
...when discussing McKenna's wearing down, Ryan said ..."we even threw the cube that gave him a minute and a half or two minute break"... it certainly sounded connected ... :(
You're inferring. The fact remains, Ryan did not state that tOSU threw the brick to give McKenna a breather.

You also conveniently omitted a few words from Ryan's quote, "... we even threw the cube and questioned the call which gave him a minute and a half or two minute break ..."

Throwing the brick of course resulted in a lung break, so yeah, the two events are connected in that sense (obviously). And the challenge worked out great for Ryan - Lee's TD was overturned and McKenna got a 90-120 second breather. The only better outcome would have been if the challenge took longer.

Last edited:
...it was interesting that Ryan admitted he threw the brick in McKenna's bout to give him a lung break...! :(

Ha ha. I had the same reaction. TaTo comes pretty close to admitting that he throws bricks to give his wrestlers a lunger. The statement comes around the 4:30 mark.

Assuming McKenna will have better stamina the next time I still think Lee has a great shot at winning. Their matches will be close from hereon out for sure, but Nick essentially just missed out on two takedowns early . The 5-1 deficit was misleading and Nick pressed the action with successs throughout.

Didn't TaTo seem less animated in the corner than in previous matches last night?Maybe RBY and Nick took the wind and of his sails. Damn, I'm starting to like the guy.

TaTo is a corrupt, self-serving, smarmy, douchebag. His team was under-prepared and withered with tall-order weight cuts per the usual osu path. Let them keep TanTom and his passe approach to success in wrestling.

Reactions: richmin3
TaTo is a corrupt, self-serving, smarmy, douchebag. His team was under-prepared and withered with tall-order weight cuts per the usual osu path. Let them keep TanTom and his passe approach to success in wrestling.

Disagree, Tom Ryan is recruiting like a monster and the Buckeyes are the threat to PSU in the next decade thanks to Tan Tom and staff.

But how do you really feel about him?

Reactions: Fatmarc
I thought Tom Ryan's interview after nationals last year was really good and I even commented on it here on BWI and I got a lot of flack for it. I thought his interview I just watched after the dual Friday was good as well. I just don't get the hate for Tom Ryan. He seems like a pretty level headed guy to me. Yeah, he gets animated during matches but so do most coaches. I don't know, I'm just not seeing what everybody else does in regards to Tom Ryan being a jerk.

I thought Tom Ryan's interview after nationals last year was really good and I even commented on it here on BWI and I got a lot of flack for it. I thought his interview I just watched after the dual Friday was good as well. I just don't get the hate for Tom Ryan. He seems like a pretty level headed guy to me. Yeah, he gets animated during matches but so do most coaches. I don't know, I'm just not seeing what everybody else does in regards to Tom Ryan being a jerk.

The only exeption I would say to this is..... he should stay off twitter.

Reactions: SFNit and PSUer1989

I agree with jrd23psu. Sure there are some differences in opinion and approach between Ryan and Cael but both are clearly great program builders and coaches that do things the right way. I can tell you that Tom Ryan isn't gonna put up with the antics that some of the wrestlers from other teams do any more than Cael does.

jeff

Reactions: Fatmarc
I believe this statement is way over the top.
Sure Ryan carries himself different than Cael. However his team and their demeanor is very sportsman like. His interviews are typically very honest and polite towards Penn State. He just seems to like the cameras and Cael is the opposite. Ryan is like our football coach James Franklin, but with more success. We better recognize that with Ohio State building the new facility ,they will be the team that will be able to compete with us year to year.

Disagree, Tom Ryan is recruiting like a monster and the Buckeyes are the threat to PSU in the next decade thanks to Tan Tom and staff.
Yep.
Agree with all this, except the hate part. This board doesn't hate on Ryan (maybe the earlier over-the-top post from Loco excepted). Rather, it's mostly poking fun at the guy, as he's an easy target with some of the stupid/goofy stuff he says on Twitter and on TV. If Ryan would stay off Twitter and stop chasing the BTN and ESPN cameras, his perception on this board would be much different.

But there is no doubt Ryan has put tOSU as the primary threat to PSU, due to his elite level recruiting.

Last edited:
I think wrestling as a whole is very fortunate to have men like Tom Ryan and Tom Brands, great minds and personalities of the sport! However very opposite of Cael in their demeanor, and Penn state is lucky to have Cael on their side. I do find it interesting that it seems Brands and Ryan’s personalities have started to soften due to Cael’s dynasty in full swing. Brands-the scrap with anyone anywhere, Iowa fears no one persona seems to be fading a bit to now picking their spots and dare I say dodging penn state this year. Tom Ryan- passive aggressive, tries to outwit penn state, and paint a picture where his program is THE PROGRAM in all of wrestling, has had to admit of late that the psu teams we are seeing is just not something that has been seen before. Just my observations.

Reactions: Jessebelle
I'd like to see some evidence of "corrupt."

Otherwise this is like HR claiming Zain juiced. We should be better than this.

I think wrestling as a whole is very fortunate to have men like Tom Ryan and Tom Brands, great minds and personalities of the sport! However very opposite of Cael in their demeanor, and Penn state is lucky to have Cael on their side. I do find it interesting that it seems Brands and Ryan’s personalities have started to soften due to Cael’s dynasty in full swing. Brands-the scrap with anyone anywhere, Iowa fears no one persona seems to be fading a bit to now picking their spots and dare I say dodging penn state this year. Tom Ryan- passive aggressive, tries to outwit penn state, and paint a picture where his program is THE PROGRAM in all of wrestling, has had to admit of late that the psu teams we are seeing is just not something that has been seen before. Just my observations.

Age and maturity have a lot to do with that as well.

I think that Ryan is actually guilty of the ludicrous charges that HR makes against Cael. That is, he's an absolutely brilliant recruiter and program builder, but as a coach, merely mediocre.

Problem for tOSU, in the Cael era, that is only good enough for 2nd to 4th place.

Reactions: psudotedu
Milder than usual excuse-making from Ryan for sure. But....

He does mention having 4 or 5 freshmen in his line-up that had never felt that level of competition and broke down. Actually, he had 3 freshmen that I count (so did we) and 7 guys returning from the PSU dual last year (we only had 5 excluding Nolf). And 1 of our freshman beat AA Pletcher at his own game in a hostile environment.

I picture Tom in a secret room at his house. Pictures of Cael everywhere with red Xs and knife slashes and him mumbling and sobbing and as soon as he walks out in his suit and red tie he's talking about his team of love,positive infinity, etc and seeming like a nice normal guy. Like American Psycho or one of those Lifetime Network flicks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT