Who wins?

• Penn State

Votes: 81 35.1%
  • Iowa

Votes: 138 59.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 5.2%

• Total voters
Iowa was opening up holes and running lanes last week that you could drive a Mack truck through. We better be ready to play.

Reactions: PSUfiji
Iowa lost their first two games by a combined 5 points. They've won their last two games by a combined 70 points. They are going to show up and play "big boy football" (i.e. dominate the lines), nothing fancy. Sadly, this 2020 version of Penn State football isn't tough enough mentally or physically to win a game like that.

Unfortunately, I think there’s a lot of truth in this and it’s a set up for another L.

• Sad
Reactions: PSUfiji
We've already lost to teams that aren't nearly as good as Iowa.

Nebraska perhaps. Maryland is a toss up. Fairly certain OSU and Indiana would be considerable favorites over Iowa.

My biggest concern is how long we wait until we stack the box on the Hawkeyes. I don't think we stop their run without 8 in the box. Are they loading up with TEs or running out of the 3WR set? I've not seen them all year.

I said Iowa. I’ll check later in the day on Saturday to see whether I should watch the game on my DVR or erase it from my DVR.
My suggestion: Quickly scan the first quarter. If at that point we are even or within 6 points of them and no turnovers then cautiously keep watching but be aware that a scoop and score or horrific defensive meltowns could be lurking on the next play. If we are behind at the end of the first quarter by 7 or more points just delete and wait until a peaceful, quiet time on Monday to check the score which most likely is bad news.

Is there any chance we win simply because we get a couple breaks/bounces finally and Iowa does not? Law of averages at play at all here? Kind of like a broken clock is right twice a day.

Didn’t rewatch last week’s game, but my recollection is that the 2nd half was pretty solid. (don’t correct if wrong- I like my happy place). Therefore, they build on that success and carry the momentum right into Iowa. A convincing win is at hand!

Didn’t rewatch last week’s game, but my recollection is that the 2nd half was pretty solid. (don’t correct if wrong- I like my happy place). Therefore, they build on that success and carry the momentum right into Iowa. A convincing win is at hand!
This has kind of been a second half team. The problem is that except for Indiana we've been so far behind in the first half that "winning" the second half score-wise didn't really matter. But I see reason to think we should be competitive Saturday.

Reactions: Nittany_93
I think PSU finds a way to win this week. I was somewhat encouraged by the play in the second half last week. I’m not a big, but COVID, COVID guy- but jeez, after finding out about all these false positives in the program, it has had to have played a negative role in some of the mindset, preparation of the team during these past few weeks. Also, it looks like a classic trap game for Iowa. If PSU can’t circle the wagons this week, a 0-2 win season is probable.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
My suggestion: Quickly scan the first quarter. If at that point we are even or within 6 points of them and no turnovers then cautiously keep watching but be aware that a scoop and score or horrific defensive meltowns could be lurking on the next play. If we are behind at the end of the first quarter by 7 or more points just delete and wait until a peaceful, quiet time on Monday to check the score which most likely is bad news.
Nah, I’ll rake some leaves and check the score every once in a while. We’ll be heading to 5:00 mass. I’ll check the score after that and if it’s still a game I’ll probably catch the end of it. If it’s a win I’ll watch the whole thing later on. If it’s a loss I’ll delete it immediately. I’m just not into it this year.

They outscored UNL 17-3 in the second half. Defense looked good in second half. Offense looked good other than in the red zone.

If you eliminate the two first half turnovers, PSU wins the game.

PSU beats Iowa by 2 scores.

They outscored UNL 17-3 in the second half. Defense looked good in second half. Offense looked good other than in the red zone.

If you eliminate the two first half turnovers, PSU wins the game.

PSU beats Iowa by 2 scores.
You can come up with an infinite number of fantasy scenarios where PSUSC wins but that does not make it happen in reality. Look at the games against IUB, tOSUC and UMDCP. Did PSUSC outscore any of them in the 2nd half? And what was the outcome?

If PSUSC starts Levis there is a 50/50 chance of a win. If it is Clifford then I'd lean more towards a UIIC win.

You can come up with an infinite number of fantasy scenarios where PSUSC wins but that does not make it happen in reality. Look at the games against IUB, tOSUC and UMDCP. Did PSUSC outscore any of them in the 2nd half? And what was the outcome?

If PSUSC starts Levis there is a 50/50 chance of a win. If it is Clifford then I'd lean more towards a UIIC win.
What is PSUSC? I assume this means State College, but PSU, as we all know, is in University Park, not in State College. No one would abbreviate it this was.

Similarly, UIIC is not an abbreviation that anyone uses.

To the football point, as I've said in other threads, having more yards, more first downs and more TOP than your opponent without winning a game is a statistical anomaly. Assuming PSU doesn't beat itself with turnover, it will win the game.

Depends on who starts at QB. Levis starts, I think we win a close one. Clifford starts, we get behind something like 24-3 after a couple of turnovers lead to cheap scores and our defense gives up a couple of big plays from being out of position. Then we shut them out in the second half but still lose.
I agree with you there. If Clifford starts, the only way the Iowa defense spends more time in the PSU backfield is if they join the PSU huddle.

Has any announcement been made if Clifford or Levis is starting?

What is PSUSC? I assume this means State College, but PSU, as we all know, is in University Park, not in State College. No one would abbreviate it this was.

Similarly, UIIC is not an abbreviation that anyone uses.

To the football point, as I've said in other threads, having more yards, more first downs and more TOP than your opponent without winning a game is a statistical anomaly. Assuming PSU doesn't beat itself with turnover, it will win the game.
None of those abbreviations are any more absurd than "UNL".

And to the football point, there are a number of ways that PSUUP can lose without making turnovers. Red zone failures, defense lays an egg, etc... We have seen these recently and they contributed just as much to losing as the turnovers.

Depends on who starts at QB. Levis starts, I think we win a close one. Clifford starts, we get behind something like 24-3 after a couple of turnovers lead to cheap scores and our defense gives up a couple of big plays from being out of position. Then we shut them out in the second half but still lose.
I think Levis has to start. Clifford is messed up mentally and he'll be doubly stressed knowing that his first mistake could be his last. If Levis starts and struggles we can switch to Clifford who would have a chance at redemption with nothing to lose.

If we get rid of the brain farts, we win. Clifford can't be throwing the ball over the WR's and TE's heads into the waiting hands of the DB's or we loose. Have him calm down and not come onto the field acting like a DT, and, get rid of the "war paint."

Nebraska perhaps. Maryland is a toss up. Fairly certain OSU and Indiana would be considerable favorites over Iowa.

My biggest concern is how long we wait until we stack the box on the Hawkeyes. I don't think we stop their run without 8 in the box. Are they loading up with TEs or running out of the 3WR set? I've not seen them all year.

Iowa - Northwestern - good game

Maryland - Minnesota - good game, but both Northwestern - Maryland and Iowa - Minnesota were not close.

Iowa and Penn State are quite a bit a like. Penn State was in a couple of games and could be 2-2, like Iowa right now. Iowa could have won two more games, as well.

This will be a competitive game most likely, unless either team doesn't come to play. Iowa hasn't done that all season. Lost two game, opener at Purdue, where turnovers killed them.

Iowa was up 20-3 on Northwestern. And, they lost it in the second half, with horrible offensive play calling. Again, I think that has been a negative for Penn State too, turnovers and offensive play calling.
  • Tackling - line of scrimmage
  • Turnovers - penalities
  • Explosive plays - chunk plays
We shall see on Saturday ....

Reactions: djr4rebs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT