ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Michigan -4 @ the Shoe. Who do you like?

Who do you like?

• Michigan -4

Votes: 64 52.0%
  • Ohio State +4

Votes: 59 48.0%

• Total voters

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
Does Harbaugh finally beat Meyer? Does Harbaugh finally lead the Wolverines to Indianapolis? Do the Buckeyes win it for perhaps Urban's last game at the Horseshoe?

I hear a voice as I typed that and I feel like I should add: Tune in Saturday. Same BAT time. Same BAT channel.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Does Harbaugh finally beat Meyer? Does Harbaugh finally lead the Wolverines to Indianapolis? Do the Buckeyes win it for perhaps Urban's last game at the Horseshoe?

I hear a voice as I typed that and I feel like I should add: Tune in Saturday. Same BAT time. Same BAT channel.

Michigan wins straight up because this is the weakest tOSU team we have seen since Meyer has been there, and they have injuries all over the roster. not even the same team that beat us. Ref will favor UM as Delaney wants one team with playoff chance.

OSU will be a different team than we have seen for several weeks. They can get ready for any ‘plus’ game and being up against a challenge will focus them like the white out in State College
I’ll take the points but expect a straight out win for OSU at home Saturday.
Remember the Bama game a couple years ago.

Reactions: bison13 and Nitwit
I’m hoping for a scenario where both are left out of the playoffs. So OSU to somehow look bad and win.

PSU recruits against both so I don’t see how either making the playoffs helps PSU.

A solid Michigan win probably lines Penn State up for the Rose Bowl (Ohio State probably drops to 13-15 range if they lose solidly).

I’m hoping for a scenario where both are left out of the playoffs. So OSU to somehow look bad and win.

PSU recruits against both so I don’t see how either making the playoffs helps PSU.

Well Rose Bowl is in line if Michigan goes to the playoff and Ohio State falls below Penn State.

I'd like each team to have 8 positions in overtime tied at 7 and tOSU winning because Winovich slips on a booger thrown on the field earlier in the game by Harbaugh.

Michigan has to win this rivalry game at some point...so I’m guessing this may be the year.

I want OSU to win, I think Michigan will win. Don't see how OSU stops the run.

This will be the best defense Ohio State has faced this season and conversely, this will be the best offense Michigan has seen all year.

I want both teams to lose. I think the BIG wants a rep in the playoffs, so the referrines will help Mich. Urban M last game at OSU

I'd bet on tOSU. This rivalry game always is better for the underdog. Plus, being at the 'shoe is a big advantage for tOSU. I think it will be low scoring. In the cold, it will come down to turnovers.

Reactions: john4psu
Michigan will be up for this game and in my opinion beat OSU by a couple of TD's. I don't see a tight game at all. Last week OSU was very lucky to leave the state of Maryland with a W.

Last edited:

If both teams play well, Michigan should win by around 7. They're just a better team this year, but it is a rivalry game and anything can happen. But if Michigan loses, I won't be crying tears of sorrow for them.

Reactions: 81b&w and Kmase21
Well.... UMich has been the underdog for most of the last 14 of these matchups :)

Ohio State 37–21
Ohio State (#9) 25–21
Ohio State (#1) 42–39
Ohio State (#7) 14–3
Ohio State (#10) 42–7
Ohio State (#9) 21–10
Ohio State (#12) 37–7
Michigan (#15) 40–34
Ohio State (#4) 26–21
Ohio State (#3) 42–41
Ohio State (#6) 42–28
Ohio State (#8) 42–13
Ohio State (#2) 30–272OT
Ohio State (#9) 31–20
True, but UM has covered 4 of the past 5 years.

Well.... UMich has been the underdog for most of the last 14 of these matchups :)

Ohio State 37–21
Ohio State (#9) 25–21
Ohio State (#1) 42–39
Ohio State (#7) 14–3
Ohio State (#10) 42–7
Ohio State (#9) 21–10
Ohio State (#12) 37–7
Michigan (#15) 40–34
Ohio State (#4) 26–21
Ohio State (#3) 42–41
Ohio State (#6) 42–28
Ohio State (#8) 42–13
Ohio State (#2) 30–272OT
Ohio State (#9) 31–20
against the spread

IMO Michigan is going to beat the crap out of Ohio State, no ifs ands or buts about it. And it will help Penn State into a better bowl, regardless of whether our team "deserves" it.

I've posted it a ton of times but I never thought Ohio State was very good this year. While I now believe our team is good but not very good as well this year, I also don't think Ohio State is really any better at this point. (That being said I'm amazed to see OSU 7 and PSU 8 in the FPI at this point)

If Penn State can put a reasonable victory on the board versus Maryland and Ohio State gets the pounding I expect they will, it's possible Penn State could be in the top ten for the final CFP poll but it might not matter because as mentioned above (and I just read elsewhere), if Michigan wins out and Penn State beats Maryland I think that will just about guarantee Penn State to the Rose Bowl, so long as PSU finishes ranked above OSU in the CFP poll. What a treat for a "rebuilding" year! (Although I'll still be disappointed about the two games they let get away)

Reactions: JJTopp99
Michigan will have a rougher time vs. Northwestern. If OSU knocks Shea out of the game , that's a different matter, McCaffery broke collarbone against us.

Because the topic of the thread includes the spread. You can start your own thread about who wins the game.
My question was in line with the topic of the thread. I asked about its significance, which I will say again is zero, nada, zilch unless you are betting on the game.

It's not impossible.... but how do you see "PSU to the Rose Bowl"? as "just about a guarantee"
If I understand the contracts and rules correctly, the Rose is committed to take the B1G and P12 champions when they are not part of the CFP rotation. When the B1G or P12 champion is selected into the CFP, they take the next highest ranked member of the respective conference.

The problem comes in if the committee choses to keep OSU above PSU after OSU loses to MICH. There is a reasonable argument to be made for it, 10-2 vs 9-3, head to head victory.

I think it's "just about a guarantee" because OSU is 10 and PSU is 12. If PSU wins and a couple of teams above PSU lose (certainly possible this weekend), they'd have to move OSU up after a loss to keep them above PSU.

I could be all wrong too but that's how I understand it right now.

If I understand the contracts and rules correctly, the Rose is committed to take the B1G and P12 champions when they are not part of the CFP rotation. When the B1G or P12 champion is selected into the CFP, they take the next highest ranked member of the respective conference.

The problem comes in if the committee choses to keep OSU above PSU after OSU loses to MICH. There is a reasonable argument to be made for it, 10-2 vs 9-3, head to head victory.

I think it's "just about a guarantee" because OSU is 10 and PSU is 12. If PSU wins and a couple of teams above PSU lose (certainly possible this weekend), they'd have to move OSU up after a loss to keep them above PSU.

I've always thought the head to head argument gets a little over weighted. Purdue beat OSU by 29 head to head. Do they deserve a better bowl than OSU? No they don't. The rest of the season matters too. I see people making this mistake over and over on this board (not you slykens).

It would be a big time choke for Michigan to lose this year. They have more talent this year. But they were a superior team two years ago and blew it at the Shoe.

It would be a big time choke for Michigan to lose this year. They have more talent this year. But they were a superior team two years ago and blew it at the Shoe.
I wouldn't say Michigan has more talent than OSU, it's hard to say, but as a team they are certainly playing better. Sometimes you can have a little less talent, but the pieces fit together well and your team is extraordinary.

Reactions: 8th Man and Anison
Not how it works for the Rose Bowl (I pointed this out in an earlier thread on the topic - - - - and posted the link to the B10 / Rose Bowl "rules" on the topic. FWIW, I think the same applies for the other NY6 Bowls with "tie-ins"... but I haven't checked to make sure).
Thank you for the clarity. What I had read this morning was that it was automatically the next highest ranked member of the respective conference.

FWIW, in the article you posted from 2015 there's a quote that seems on point here:

"The strong presumption is that we're going to go with the highest-ranked team that's available to us. Only in extraordinary situations will we deviate from that presumption."

It provides an example of an "extraordinary" situation being Wisconsin having gone to the Rose three years in a row and them opting to take another team ranked near them. Taken at face value, I'd still assume a higher ranked PSU would go in spite of final records - but we've already lost that beauty contest once in the last few years.

You know what they say about assuming? :)

Seriously though, if I were a betting man - and there were odds available on how that one would play out..... I'd probably put the mortgage money on OSU getting the nod - - - - and I really don't think PSU would have a strong argument to make.
9-3 vs 10-2... with a head-to-head loss.... just doesn't seem to cut it (especially when PSU's "eye test" has been just as crappy as OSU's over the last several weeks.)… no matter what some "committee" might say (and I also wouldn't rule out the "committee" being "persuaded" to keep OSU one spot ahead of PSU - - - - - just to insure things "look kosher" … seriously).
Does OSU's 29 point head to head loss to Purdue guarantee Purdue a better bowl? If you want to argue that OSU would have 2 losses versus PSU's 3, that would be the best argument.

Ohio State is the hardest team to project what happens to them. If they win, does the committee actually move them up to 4 or 5 because the committee seems to really like the Big Ten outside of Ohio State? If they lose, would they really drop a 10-2 Ohio State team behind teams like Texas & Penn State?

I think Michigan wins this game easily and the committee's going to have some difficult questions to answer regarding Ohio State. I wouldn't be shocked if we jump them in the polls but I don't think it's a guarantee. We haven't been impressive recently either. Honestly, very few teams are actually impressive. Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Michigan and MAYBE Georgia. Everyone else has serious flaws. Actually, Wazzu might belong in that MAYBE category

Reactions: JJTopp99
(and I also wouldn't rule out the "committee" being "persuaded" to keep OSU one spot ahead of PSU - - - - - just to insure things "look kosher" … seriously).
This is really my concern. The quote in the article you had posted says to me they intend to take the highest ranked team unless they really think they'll do a lot better money wise with the other. I would suggest PSU and OSU are on par for those purposes in this comparison. One positive is that Penn State is getting more love from the committee than from the AP or Coaches.

This is really my concern. The quote in the article you had posted says to me they intend to take the highest ranked team unless they really think they'll do a lot better money wise with the other. I would suggest PSU and OSU are on par for those purposes in this comparison. One positive is that Penn State is getting more love from the committee than from the AP or Coaches.
Well, the committee supposedly watches the games. I don't think the other pollsters do.

OSU keeps it close for a quarter then Mich pulls away. The collapse of OSU (and subUrban Meyer) has been on the brink all season. And already happened once at Purdue. Mich gives Haskins fits and w/o him OSU tanks. 17 point win minimum.

Osu wins again!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT