ADVERTISEMENT

Please go to USC!

Clock management at end of half was not a factor in the game and a false issue.
Why don't you manage your time better and go root for Pitt.
The constant criticisms of the coach do nothing for the team or university.
You probably have a negative impact on recruiting.
We won.
Object of game win. We won

I'm sorry but there is line somewhere between criticizing a completely bone-headed handling of final 1st half drive and 'shut up we won'. I said the same thing on UMD game thread - if USC wants, please go. Listening to article after article about how he is elite coach, well it is puke worthy. It also insinuates that something is wrong with Penn State either facilities, recruiting or coaching support, otherwise CJF would have won CFP already. That is pure BS. The problem is James Franklin - his carousel of offensive coordinators, lack of OL development and inconsistent game management. Going for it when you should not or doing nothing when you should have done something (like this example). He is a good coach. PSU may be happy with that but this pumping as a USC savior, no matter how bad we play, is very, very irritating.

Clock management at end of half was not a factor in the game and a false issue. No but the choice not to try and get more points when you have 3 timeouts and over a minute to play is what "good" teams do, but "elite" teams will go for it. Compete in everything you do! Yeah right.
Why don't you manage your time better and go root for Pitt. Because I hate Pitt. Hated them since the 70's.
The constant criticisms of the coach do nothing for the team or university. If Sandusky didn't kill us, my little tirade isn't going to.
You probably have a negative impact on recruiting. I doubt it, but Franklin not putting to bed the rumors of going to USC or LSU will. Also, losing to Illinois surely won't help. Neither will 3 straight losses.
We won. Yippee!!!
Object of game win. We won Finally, after 3 straight losses, 2 of which (Iowa and Illinois) we should have won. Had we a properly prepared backup QB we could have held on at Iowa, and Illinois does not need to be explained, even to the likes of you, sunshine.

Reactions: Spydersgirl
Per recent Trojans Wire. Tell me this is not puke-worthy, after 3 straight losses. One where we scored 1 TD in 4 qtrs against worst team in Big Ten (at time)

"If you’re skeptical that this is a fluid situation, and that USC’s vision or inclinations in September are going to be fulfilled in the coming weeks, you can make the claim that James Franklin always made sense for the Trojans, and that he remains the most obvious candidate for USC. That’s a fair and (moreover) consistent argument. Franklin recruits aggressively. He has a personality which does not shy from the spotlight, and therefore is more compatible with Los Angeles than Matt Campbell or Luke Fickell, who are both more reserved (though there are layers to both men which make them more complicated; this is not to suggest they are cardboard-cutout figures, only that Franklin more obviously fits the profile of a USC coach)."

Now, they post this. Reality check - WF is 8-1, scores 55 on talented UNC that had ND (at ND) in a dog fight into 4th qtr. UNC puts up over 500 offense in back to back weeks. Tough loss but not a bad loss.

"The loss is a strike against Clawson in terms of not being able to win the big game. Wake Forest faced its toughest test of the year. With Clawson being a hot name for coaching jobs, including USC, this isn’t a good day for him.

Yes, Clawson has turned this program around and has Wake in the national spotlight. When it came time to deliver against an opponent that has lost to Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and Florida State this year, he couldn’t get it done.

Still, Clawson’s name should continue to be brought up, but he may not be ready for the next step just yet."

WTF is USC looking for? You think a slick recruiter with big LA ego is all you need? How about winning? Apparently not.

No.
James Franklin can't coach because he lost to Illinois.
that one might have a little backbone to it......but the one complaining about spitting is downright hilarious. What is funnier is we once had a coach literally SHIT himself on the sidelines and yet spitting annoys someone!

that one might have a little backbone to it......but the one complaining about spitting is downright hilarious. What is funnier is we once had a coach literally SHIT himself on the sidelines and yet spitting annoys someone!
OK, about the spitting thing... legit question(s). First, did James have covid? I can't recall if it was him or someone in his family. If no, then nevermind lol.

If yes, was he always a spitter (noticeably) thru the years or is this something more recent.. as in post covid. One thing I can vouch for is that I deal with more lung clearing issues post covid than i ever did before.

Not that i really want to encourage a thead on spitting lol.

Are you talking Joe running across the field at Ohio State? I thought he made it to the locker room.

Clock management at end of half was not a factor in the game and a false issue.
Why don't you manage your time better and go root for Pitt.
The constant criticisms of the coach do nothing for the team or university.
You probably have a negative impact on recruiting.
We won.
Object of game win. We won
Pure luck that the abysmal clock management "was not a factor". The object of offensive football is to score points on every possession of the game, and giving away opportunities to score will in the longer run eventually cost PSU a win or two.

Nothing said here does anything for the team or university.

And many recruits are smart enough to realize the poor clock management. Franklin could help his recruiting by being a more proactive coach during games.

Cain has never been the same since his injury but Franklin plays him anyway in hopes (imo) it keeps pipeline to florida open... on top of which Noah is a good kid and you want him to do well.

But this offensive (literally, yet again) line cannot open holes and guys like lovett and cain get swallowed whole before they can muster anything. Lee, otoh, has the power and runs with anger. And when he gets a head of steam, he's no fun to tackle. [And he's also a Florida kid]

Many times I question the coaching decisions but almost always people point out this/that which causes me to re-think my pov and see that maybe :) the coaches do know better (although watching our clock issues on saturday makes me wonder even about that). Pretty sure I'm right when I say start Lee and ride him for the entire game.

Let's just hope CJF has something in mind for Saturday or he'll get outcoached by hairball and THAT is no easy feat.
I agree that Lee is for sure the better runner. But I don't see your logic regarding Cain.

I believe that Cain starts because Lee's better running traits at this point are not enough better than Cain's better pass blocking skills versus Lee's. Franklin does not want his QB to get squashed and injured which given the non-readiness of the backup QB's would be a disaster.... as we saw in the Iowa game.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I agree that Lee is for sure the better runner. But I don't see your logic regarding Cain.

I believe that Cain starts because Lee's better running traits at this point are not enough better than Cain's better pass blocking skills versus Lee's. Franklin does not want his QB to get squashed and injured which given the non-readiness of the backup QB's would be a disaster.... as we saw in the Iowa game.
Not sure Cain's blocking skills outweigh what Lee can do toting the rock. If need be, bring in Cain on 3rd and must likely pass. I guess I just want to see a running game that puts the defense on its heels which should open up other options and minimize the blocking concerns (iow, if we're forced in to 2nd and 3rd and long because first down was a 1 yard mess). We're looking at 2nd and 5 or 3rd and 2, we're not in must throw land... so the D has to play it straight.

My opinion... about worth that much, too :)

Reactions: GregInPitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT