ADVERTISEMENT

Playstation Vue

sigchip_a_yahoo.com

Aug 7, 2008
Guys - I know this has been discussed before but thinking about dropping cable - does Vue work well? Does it work with 50 mbps?
For $55 a month I can get all the channels that cost me $100 at Comcast, almost seems to good to be true.

Thanks in advance

Guys - I know this has been discussed before but thinking about dropping cable - does Vue work well? Does it work with 50 mbps?
For $55 a month I can get all the channels that cost me $100 at Comcast, almost seems to good to be true.

Thanks in advance
My understanding is that you must have a ps device hooked up to any television to use it. So you can't just flick on cable on all of your tvs. This is a pretty huge negative for me.

EDIT: This is totally incorrect and I have been corrected!

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
My understanding is that you must have a ps device hooked up to any television to use it. So you can't just flick on cable on all of your tvs. This is a pretty huge negative for me.
I have looked in this a little bit, and I do not believe that is true. I believe you can access it through an Amazon Firestick or an apple TV. They are very cheap.

@bmw199 your post is totally incorrect.

PS Vue is available on most all streaming solutions such as Roku, Fire Stick, etc.

PS Vue works very well; I've tried it on both 25mbps and 100mbps (which I currently have). HD worked flawlessly on both however at 25mbps other devices slowed down.

Internet speed should be as fast as you can afford (no one ever said they have too much speed), and buy a good router such as this guy which I also have: Asus RT-AC3200

50mbps is more than enough speed for Vue on 2-3 TVs and a couple of devices. Whether it's "good enough" will depend on your router and how many other devices are connected/using your network at a given moment in time. Like I said earlier, no one ever said their internet is too fast. At 100mbps with the router I linked (or a comparable one) you'll be able to handle anything.

Reactions: bmw199
I have looked in this a little bit, and I do not believe that is true. I believe you can access it through an Amazon Firestick or an apple TV. They are very cheap.

@bmw199 your post is totally incorrect.

PS Vue is available on most all streaming solutions such as Roku, Fire Stick, etc.

PS Vue works very well; I've tried it on both 25mbps and 100mbps (which I currently have). HD worked flawlessly on both however at 25mbps other devices slowed down.

Internet speed should be as fast as you can afford (no one ever said they have too much speed), and buy a good router such as this guy which I also have: Asus RT-AC3200

50mbps is more than enough speed for Vue on 2-3 TVs and a couple of devices. Whether it's "good enough" will depend on your router how many other devices are connected/using your network at a given moment in time. Like I said earlier, no one ever said their internet is too fast. At 100mbps with the router I linked (or a comparable one) you'll be able to handle anything.
Nice! Glad that it is not jsut through a PS. My bad...

Also look at DirecTV NOW, roughly the same as PS vue, plus if you have AT&T as cell provider (ATT owns DirecTV) you get it for $25 off plus free HBO. It will cost you something like $15-35 per month (after ATT discount) for 80-130 channels depending on which package you take. You can buy a ROKU streaming stick for every TV in the house with a couple months of savings from your local cable monopoly.

Also look at DirecTV NOW, roughly the same as PS vue, plus if you have AT&T as cell provider (ATT owns DirecTV) you get it for $25 off plus free HBO. It will cost you something like $15-35 per month (after ATT discount) for 80-130 channels depending on which package you take. You can buy a ROKU streaming stick for every TV in the house with a couple months of savings from your local cable monopoly.

DirecTV Now has had its share of issues. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/d...uick-fix-tips-on-roku-channels-issues-199569/

I have been using Vue since June and I really like it. There is unlimited space to DVR shows and it has all the channels I like for less money. I would recommend having Amazon Fire Tv boxes to run it on as they work the best and if you can do a wired connection that will make a huge difference. It works on the Fire sticks but not as well.

Reactions: mrdr89
I have been using Vue since June and I really like it. There is unlimited space to DVR shows and it has all the channels I like for less money. I would recommend having Amazon Fire Tv boxes to run it on as they work the best and if you can do a wired connection that will make a huge difference. It works on the Fire sticks but not as well.
Amazon says Fire TV box is currently unavailable. DIrect TV does not offer DVR service and that is a deal killer.
Thanks for the input - will probably make the switch and this is going to kill the cable companies.

Amazon says Fire TV box is currently unavailable. DIrect TV does not offer DVR service and that is a deal killer.
Thanks for the input - will probably make the switch and this is going to kill the cable companies.
Amazon is out of stock on the Fire TV which is 2015 vintage technology, but they're supposedly available at BestBuy for $90.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/amazon-fire-tv-2015-model-black/4370400.p?skuId=4370400

The Fire Sticks ($35) are available, but there's sometimes a 2 week back order.

DirecTV Now has had its share of issues. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/d...uick-fix-tips-on-roku-channels-issues-199569/

Do know that from personal experience or did you read something on the internet from someone with an axe to grind?

I have been running DirectTV Now since June, progressively adding TVs (we are up to seven TVs now) and it has been mostly flawless. More important the wife and kids approve. We did have some ROKU and Fire stick problems in the beginning but they were router/network related and easily resolved. If you have the proper internet speed and router all- is-well. As with any network, Ethernet is far superior to WiFi.

Besides DirectV knows a thing or two about digital TV platforms and their business plan is eventually merge two two platforms -- dish and streaming -- to one steaming platform and get out of the dish and satellite business. Any hiccups they have had have been quickly resolved. AT&T has the size, experience and muscle to win this battle with Sony and Hulu.

One of the great things about streaming -- besides the low cost and flexibility to pick a package that suits you -- is that there are no contracts -- you can switch in a minute. They are so cheap that you can even run both PS vue and DTV Now side-by-side on your ROKU or Fire, make the daily comparison, and still pay less then you are paying your cable monopoly.

DirecTV Now DVR cloud service is current in Beta testing. You have to be invited to be a beta tester. Roll-out to the rest of us in scheduled for early 2018.

One thing you'll want to do regardless of whether you go with Roku (which I have), Firestick, etc...is get the watchESPN app for your device. You can log in with your PSVue credentials and watch all the stuff on the other ESPN channels. With the ESPN channel through PSVUE, those options are limited

Reactions: meatloaf55
I use it through my Roku and works great. HD quality. It stops to buffer at times, but nothing major. I recommend it.

I have Playstation Vue. It works well but if you like to frequently jump around to different channels that process is slower than with traditional cable.

I use it through my Roku and works great. HD quality. It stops to buffer at times, but nothing major. I recommend it.
The problem with Roku is that it does not have the guide with Vue.

If you can find one, a FireTV hard wired to the internet is the best way to go. I only have 25mps at home and Vue works fine for 3-4 devices at once. The Fire Stick is a good choice for secondary TVs as it has all the functionality of the Fire TV but is a bit slower.

As for the service, they are constantly improving. New features and performance upgrade come via patches periodically. A year ago I would have rated the service a 7 but now I would give it a 9. Very solid with just the occasional hiccup that usually amounts to nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
Do know that from personal experience or did you read something on the internet from someone with an axe to grind?

I have been running DirectTV Now since June, progressively adding TVs (we are up to seven TVs now) and it has been mostly flawless. More important the wife and kids approve. We did have some ROKU and Fire stick problems in the beginning but they were router/network related and easily resolved. If you have the proper internet speed and router all- is-well. As with any network, Ethernet is far superior to WiFi.

Besides DirectV knows a thing or two about digital TV platforms and their business plan is eventually merge two two platforms -- dish and streaming -- to one steaming platform and get out of the dish and satellite business. Any hiccups they have had have been quickly resolved. AT&T has the size, experience and muscle to win this battle with Sony and Hulu.

One of the great things about streaming -- besides the low cost and flexibility to pick a package that suits you -- is that there are no contracts -- you can switch in a minute. They are so cheap that you can even run both PS vue and DTV Now side-by-side on your ROKU or Fire, make the daily comparison, and still pay less then you are paying your cable monopoly.

Do you get paid by DTV? Settle down there big hoss. It wasn't meant as a personal attack. DTV Now had a rollout plagued with problems and there are still lingering gremlins in the system. I also wouldn't put my money on AT&T (or VZW for that matter) knowing what to do in the long run.

PS Vue and Hulu Live TV, on the other hand, have gone far more smoothly.

Thanks in advance
Just wanted to say I had to go to a wedding in Akron this weekend. I have a PS4 and used the free five day trial for Vue. It worked great on Hilton's WiFi and the speed was only 1.2mbps in my room. Plus you only pay for the month after the free trial. No contracts are awesome and worth giving it a try. If you don't like it cut your loss after the month. But you can take your tv channels anywhere on the road so I find it to be an outstanding service.

The fire tvis about to be replaced with a newer version but if ypu can find one at best buy or target it works great for ps vue.

Do you get paid by DTV? Settle down there big hoss. It wasn't meant as a personal attack. DTV Now had a rollout plagued with problems and there are still lingering gremlins in the system. I also wouldn't put my money on AT&T (or VZW for that matter) knowing what to do in the long run.

PS Vue and Hulu Live TV, on the other hand, have gone far more smoothly.

Not paid, just an ordinary user who has used both and speaks from direct knowledge -- as opposed to the Holiday Inn Express Oracle who read it on the internet.

Not paid, just an ordinary user who has used both and speaks from direct knowledge -- as opposed to the Holiday Inn Express Oracle who read it on the internet.

You have no clue, my dear friend. Very sorry to bring a dose of reality to a DTV fan boy. Who knew anyone actually gave enough of a shit to get mad about an online TV service?

We just switched to Vue a month or so ago....

In general, I like it.. but there are a few caveats (some of which may be use errors since I'm still somewhat new to this device)

1) No local channels. We knew that before our purchase. We solved this with an HD antenna for reception (which is actually higher quality than over cable) and a Tablo device to be able to record local channels. Tablo was somewhere in the $300 range for a 4 tuner model (so we can record/watch 4 shows at same time) - that's more than enough since this is only local channels. Need to add an external hard drive to the Tablo for storage - think ours was $60 or so for a terabyte. There's a $50/year fee for an online program guide for Tablo, which makes navigation/recording simple.
2) Recording in Vue is a little "funky"... I recorded the GA State game on Vue - you don't go to a channel and time and record like it was on DVR - in Vue, you record a "program", in this case, NCAA Football, and it "records" all games... it's not really a recording.. the program is in the cloud and you are indicating you want access to the archived cloud version. No limit on "storage". It's a little awkward watching a recording of the game while the game is still being played (i.e. start watching an hour after kickoff)
3) One thing that is a quirk I have to figure out is being able to record the entire game when the length goes beyond the allocated time slot.. Vue records for the time of the program slot itself as opposed to the logical game, and so it only recorded 3 hours of the actual show. There's definitely a work-around (recording the show immediately following the game) - not sure if there's a way to customize recording time (i.e. change it to 4 hours instead of 3). Missed the end of the game and the kicker freezing controversy - need to get this sorted out before the rest of the season. The Tablo takes the logical view, so if the game goes 3:40 it records the entire 3:40 without having to do anything.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
You have no clue, my dear friend. Very sorry to bring a dose of reality to a DTV fan boy. Who knew anyone actually gave enough of a shit to get mad about an online TV service?

Not mad, and platform agnostic. If you had used DTV Now then you would know better than what you write, but clearly you have not. I have used both Now and Vue (but not Hulu live) and I can tell you they are both great based -- not on internet chatter, but direct experience. As I said above, running ROKUs on seven different TV and experience with both Vue and Now has been as good as Fios. So you can choose to believe what ever you want, but it is clear you have no first hand knowledge of DTV Now or you would have said otherwise by now.

Should also add that since adding last week CBS and Showtime ($8, HBO is still free), DTV Now now has all local major network channels. Comcast SportsNet still varies by market as Comcast and ATT negotiate. So there's that too...

But the really important thing was that the two Penn State games I watched on DTV Now this fall were absolutely flawless -- which is really what matters.

Last edited:

In general, I like it.. but there are a few caveats (some of which may be use errors since I'm still somewhat new to this device)

1) No local channels. We knew that before our purchase. We solved this with an HD antenna for reception (which is actually higher quality than over cable) and a Tablo device to be able to record local channels. Tablo was somewhere in the $300 range for a 4 tuner model (so we can record/watch 4 shows at same time) - that's more than enough since this is only local channels. Need to add an external hard drive to the Tablo for storage - think ours was $60 or so for a terabyte. There's a $50/year fee for an online program guide for Tablo, which makes navigation/recording simple.
2) Recording in Vue is a little "funky"... I recorded the GA State game on Vue - you don't go to a channel and time and record like it was on DVR - in Vue, you record a "program", in this case, NCAA Football, and it "records" all games... it's not really a recording.. the program is in the cloud and you are indicating you want access to the archived cloud version. No limit on "storage". It's a little awkward watching a recording of the game while the game is still being played (i.e. start watching an hour after kickoff)
3) One thing that is a quirk I have to figure out is being able to record the entire game when the length goes beyond the allocated time slot.. Vue records for the time of the program slot itself as opposed to the logical game, and so it only recorded 3 hours of the actual show. There's definitely a work-around (recording the show immediately following the game) - not sure if there's a way to customize recording time (i.e. change it to 4 hours instead of 3). Missed the end of the game and the kicker freezing controversy - need to get this sorted out before the rest of the season. The Tablo takes the logical view, so if the game goes 3:40 it records the entire 3:40 without having to do anything.

To your point #1 the local channel issue is a regional issue that doesn't impact all users. I'm about an hour outside Philly and get all the locals (ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX) through Vue. I've used your workaround for the games as there is no option to set extra recording time - though since there is no limit I don't see it as a major issue.

Not mad, and platform agnostic. If you had used DTV Now then you would know better than what you write, but clearly you have not. I have used both Now and Vue (but not Hulu live) and I can tell you they are both great based -- not on internet chatter, but direct experience. As I said above, running ROKUs on seven different TV and experience with both Vue and Now has been as good as Fios. So you can choose to believe what ever you want, but it is clear you have no first hand knowledge of DTV Now or you would have said otherwise by now.

Should also add that since adding last week CBS and Showtime ($8, HBO is still free), DTV Now now has all local major network channels. Comcast SportsNet still varies by market as Comcast and ATT negotiate. So there's that too...

But the really important thing was that the two Penn State games I watched on DTV Now this fall were absolutely flawless -- which is really what matters.

That's all well and good. At the end of the day there were a lot of problems with DirecTV Now, and not everyone has had a rosy experience. This continues today, and has nothing to do with yours. But, keep burying your head in the sand if you want.

I too am "platform agnostic". Roku is a great tool (I have a Roku), Playstation Vue works on it. Fire Sticks are great, as are Chromecasts and Apple TV--it all depends what ecosystem you prefer.

DirecTV Now is one option for IPTV, as are Hulu Live TV, Sling and Vue. Each has its drawbacks, and DirecTV Now has/had a lot of problems. It is what it is, but saying "my experience was great" has zero to do with the problems of others.I had to call Comcast for an issue and had great customer service; their internet is virtually flawless. Does that make Comcast a great company? Hell no.

Last edited:
I recommend Vue. I have been using it for six months and like the service, especially considering the savings versus DirecTV. I would use Amazon Fire versus Roku. I have both and the Roku does not have a guide. Very limiting. I get all four local channels live (two were on-demand until upgraded) -- that completely depends on where you live.

That's all well and good. At the end of the day there were a lot of problems with DirecTV Now, and not everyone has had a rosy experience. This continues today, and has nothing to do with yours. But, keep burying your head in the sand if you want.

I too am "platform agnostic". Roku is a great tool (I have a Roku), Playstation Vue works on it. Fire Sticks are great, as are Chromecasts and Apple TV--it all depends what ecosystem you prefer.

DirecTV Now is one option for IPTV, as are Hulu Live TV, Sling and Vue. Each has its drawbacks, and DirecTV Now has/had a lot of problems. It is what it is, but saying "my experience was great" has zero to do with the problems of others.I had to call Comcast for an issue and had great customer service; their internet is virtually flawless. Does that make Comcast a great company? Hell no.

Comcast sucks, on that we can agree 100%. We know that of course because actual customers tell us so -- survey after survey. But you keep saying DTV Now has problems -- but with no evidence whatsoever except some website you posted that no one ever heard of with some guy whining about plugging his stick into the wrong HDMI port. You started this by saying you would not recommend DirecTV Now -- but you clearly have not ever used it and have shown nothing from the aggregated experience of actual users to support that conclusion -- hence the Holiday Inn analogy. Stop, just stop. You spouted off, got rightly called out for it, and now keep digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole.

For #3, Vue is actually smart enough to extend the recording time for sporting events that go over their time allocation. The caveat to that is if you start watching the sporting event before the game is over and while watching you go past the original allocation of time, Vue will jump you to the live tv. That can be very annoying.

DirecTV Now is now exactly what I need, although it took some time to get there. I suffered through a lot of bumps along the way but am thrilled where we're at now. The experience is light-years apart when comparing DTV Now on Apple TV to other devices (and I am anything but an Apple guy). Luckily I got one free with the initial bonus and have added another since. Chromecast was basically unusable for me. On Demand is horrible. DVR isn't available yet but is in beta. But picture quality, grandfathered price/channels, reliability, and supported apps have been great since March or April. They even then threw in a year of free HBO for early adopters that suffered along with the initial issues. I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. If I do, there's a secondary market for grandfathered accounts with a going rate of $150.

Guys, have a question and I apologize in advance if this might be stupid. Is there any way to use Playstation Vue outside the country? I ask because I don't stay in America.. somewhere in middle east. The problem here is that our internet speeds are not as fast as how you guys have it (ohh how I miss the internet speeds when I was at PSU). So will it work? If so, what is the minimum internet speed required for it to function properly? TIA guys!

Comcast sucks, on that we can agree 100%. We know that of course because actual customers tell us so -- survey after survey. But you keep saying DTV Now has problems -- but with no evidence whatsoever except some website you posted that no one ever heard of with some guy whining about plugging his stick into the wrong HDMI port. You started this by saying you would not recommend DirecTV Now -- but you clearly have not ever used it and have shown nothing from the aggregated experience of actual users to support that conclusion -- hence the Holiday Inn analogy. Stop, just stop. You spouted off, got rightly called out for it, and now keep digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole.

Are your panties in a bunch because of the source (a Christian website)?

Here are some more sources for you:

https://www.cnet.com/news/directv-now-beset-by-user-complaints-on-launch-day/

https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/13/14257936/directv-now-errors-complaints-att

https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/2...mp-fixing-directv-now-issues-new-platform-way

But yeah, all of the problems were/are caused by someone misusing an HDMI cable.

o_O

What's next? Cnet, Verge, and Wireless Week aren't good sources, right? If you still can't get past your DTV hardon, that's on you.

Remain calm, all is well!

07-minister.jpg

https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/2...mp-fixing-directv-now-issues-new-platform-way

But yeah, all of the problems were/are caused by someone misusing an HDMI cable.

o_O

What's next? Cnet, Verge, and Wireless Week aren't good sources, right? If you still can't get past your DTV hardon, that's on you.

07-minister.jpg

DirectTV Now had launch issues for sure, but two of your articles are from December/January while the most recent from June states they're over the hump. To unequivocally state that they shouldn't be considered as an option now is a little unfair.

DirectTV Now had launch issues for sure, but two of your articles are from December/January while the most recent from June states they're over the hump. To unequivocally state that they shouldn't be considered as an option now is a little unfair.

There are still gremlins in the system. In my opinion there are far better options out there particularly when considering DTV's "customer service."

Reactions: ncgolfer

o_O

07-minister.jpg

Zzzzzzzzz

There are still gremlins in the system. In my opinion there are far better options out there particularly when considering DTV's "customer service."
You are so spot on, my friend. I was one of the original group of Directv Now users. I had their guaranteed $35 per month service for over 100 channels. The other month I finally got so disgusted with their half-a$$ed service I fired them for Sling TV instead. I had bad issues with buffering, out of synch audio, intententionally degraded picture quality from DTN and horrible customer service. There were months where the service they provided was so bad that DTN offered me credits on my bill as compensation for their lousy service. THEY HAVE LOTS OF ISSUES!! At least for me. And my problems weren't related to my ISP. My ISP was at 50 MBPS and was from AT&T which owns DTN.

Since I went to Sling I have not had ANY of the problems I was having with DTN. And I am using the same ISP (AT&T). I wouldn't give you nickel for DTN. Moreover, you are correct. DTN's roll out was PLAGUED by technical problems as the links you provided corroborate.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
You are so spot on, my friend. I was one of the original group of Directv Now users. I had their guaranteed $35 per month service for over 100 channels. The other month I finally got so disgusted with their half-a$$ed service I fired them for Sling TV instead. I had bad issues with buffering, out of synch audio, intententionally degraded picture quality from DTN and horrible customer service. There were months where the service they provided was so bad that DTN offered me credits on my bill as compensation for their lousy service. THEY HAVE LOTS OF ISSUES!! At least for me. And my problems weren't related to my ISP. My ISP was at 50 MBPS and was from AT&T which owns DTN.

Since I went to Sling I have not had ANY of the problems I was having with DTN. And I am using the same ISP (AT&T). I wouldn't give you nickel for DTN. Moreover, you are correct. DTN's roll out was PLAGUED by technical problems as the links you provided corroborate.

Hopefully you got some money for your account before simply cancelling.

Anybody cord cutters here use Hulu? Been looking at maybe cutting the Comcast cord and going that route.

I have a roku tv (No ps device) and got psVue at the beginning of the fb season . Apparently it is a little different with a roku tv than with a PlayStation device. The connection and picture is better (I have heard from others it is better) with a roku tv but the interface is VERY basic as opposed to PlayStation. There is no guide and it is not very convenient going from channel to channel. Apparently in a PlayStation device you can use your controller to use guide, change channels, see what is playing next, etc seamlessly. My roku tv psVue is fine for me bc I get to watch games and not get gouged by cable provider but I hope they update the system soon

Edit. Also the major critique I have heard is that the connection is shotty. This has not been my experience and my internet isn't even that stellar. I have not had a game or show buffer or go in and out yet. Just my experience, hope it stays that way

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT