ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh blog is about to make you blow a gasket (selling "Joe Knew" shirts)

He said:

More like 1,2,4 & 5 are all known cheaters with sanctions to prove it.

I didn't move the goalposts at all. Reading comprehension is your friend.

At least have an honest discussion. To deny there were sanctions, even if undeserved, is to deny reality.
Then tell us where Joe cheated to gain an unfair advantage on the playing field.

And as long as we're considering wikipedia "gospel," tell us which version of Mark Emmert's wiki entry is true. the one the NCAA interns are paid to create, or the one they were paid to edit because it told the truth about what a POS he is?

cool, guess those sanctions never happened since they aren't in the database.

If you want to say, like JDK, that anyone that has any success in CFB other than Joe does it by cheating, go right ahead.

There have been many great coaches in the sport, something I'm willing to recognize and respect. I don't have to say they cheated to obtain that success to make myself feel better. Even if I don't really care for them as individuals.

To each his own.

It's like you can't read.

From the PSU football entry on wiki:

The NCAA's executive committee unanimously approved giving back the scholarships, ostensibly after a recommendation from former U.S. Senator George J. Mitchell, who was appointed by the NCAA to oversee Penn State's progress in adopting a number of reforms to enhance its security, ethics, governance and compliance structure. NCAA officials said they took up the recommendation because the restored scholarships would benefit student-athletes.

That is what will be written in the history books. Doesn't mean that sanctions did not happen.

First thing out my teachers mouth in high school when assigning a research paper; do not use Wikipedia as a source. Derp.
Actually, the wiki cites the original source for that as the 9/24/2013 issue of the CDT:

http://www.centredaily.com/news/local/education/penn-state/jerry-sandusky/article42829215.html

The NCAA’s executive committee unanimously approved last week giving back the scholarships after a recommendation from former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell, who was appointed by the NCAA to oversee Penn State’s progress in adopting a number of reforms to enhance its security, ethics, governance and compliance structure. NCAA officials said they took up the recommendation because the restored scholarships would benefit student-athletes.

Derp indeed.

Then tell us where Joe cheated to gain an unfair advantage on the playing field.

And as long as we're considering wikipedia "gospel," tell us which version of Mark Emmert's wiki entry is true. the one the NCAA interns are paid to create, or the one they were paid to edit because it told the truth about what a POS he is?
I remember something about Joe or one of the PSU coaches attending the announcement ceremony of a recruit, but I can't remember who that was. What has Urban done that was worse? Saban?

Bull$hit. Joe never broke a single NCAA rule - ever. Nor did any of the kids playing sports at Penn State. No one else can claim that.
BS....Penn State has reported many secondary violations. Also you are very naïve if you think a Penn State player has never taken a cash or free stuff while a player.

I don't have a link because 99% of the time it goes un reported in the media. Joe has even admitted to buying a kid lunch one time in one of his books because the kid had no money and the cafeteria was closed. There no school in the country that never breaks a single rule. There is no need to be all high and mighty and say Paterno and his player never broke a single NCAA rule. That like me saying I never broke the law before. I am sure every single person has broken a law some point in our live. You may not have a criminal record but I am sure everyone has broken some law like speeding, jay walking, taking a pen by accident ect.

I don't have a link because 99% of the time it goes un reported in the media. Joe has even admitted to buying a kid lunch one time in one of his books because the kid had no money and the cafeteria was closed. There no school in the country that never breaks a single rule. There is no need to be all high and mighty and say Paterno and his player never broke a single NCAA rule. That like me saying I never broke the law before. I am sure every single person has broken a law some point in our live. You may not have a criminal record but I am sure everyone has broken some law like speeding, jay walking, taking a pen by accident ect.
Link or it didn't happen

Wow, getmyjive, PSU nut and the new guy, crn, all battling it out to see who can be the biggest horse's a$$, err, contrarian. "I'm filled with more self-loathing than you." "Oh no you're not, let me show you just how contrary I can be. Go on, say something good about Penn State, I'll show you spin like you've never seen." "Hey guys, don't leave me out. I want to prove to the world how smart I am by taking a contrary position to every positive penn state post on here. Watch me. Please."

Wow, getmyjive, PSU nut and the new guy, crn, all battling it out to see who can be the biggest horse's a$$, err, contrarian. "I'm filled with more self-loathing than you." "Oh no you're not, let me show you just how contrary I can be. Go on, say something good about Penn State, I'll show you spin like you've never seen." "Hey guys, don't leave me out. I want to prove to the world how smart I am by taking a contrary position to every positive penn state post on here. Watch me. Please."

Hence the Ignore List.

So we should just believe you... right. Not like the media hasn't taken every chance to vilify Paterno, surely they just let a bunch of stuff unreported.

Maybe Joe gave a recruit a piece of gum... let's equate that with boosters paying recruits! It's obvious what you are trying to do, and it's pathetic.

does not matter. cheating is cheating.

It does matter. I suggest you look up the definition of the word "cheat".

Cheat - act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination.

Reactions: simons96 and biacto
So... I have called for 10 wins this year... I said that Joe Paterno is the 3rd greatest coach in college football history... and that is not good enough? LOL.

So we should just believe you... right. Not like the media hasn't taken every chance to vilify Paterno, surely they just let a bunch of stuff unreported.

Maybe Joe gave a recruit a piece of gum... let's equate that with boosters paying recruits! It's obvious what you are trying to do, and it's pathetic.

Cheat - act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination.

Hold on now.... so was Saban or Urbs directing boosters to buy recruits? And are you definitively saying that a PSU booster never bought a PSU player?

Hold on now.... so was Saban or Urbs directing boosters to buy recruits? And are you definitively saying that a PSU booster never bought a PSU player?
You are beginning to catch on. Keep going down that path and you will see the one true way.

You are beginning to catch on. Keep going down that path and you will see the one true way.
Beginning? My assumption has always been that boosters for all major college teams are uncontrollable and they do whatever the hell they want. Now, some college teams are in on the booster's actions (many suspect that Ole Miss may be in that category), but a majority of the $1000 handshakes go on without the schools' involvement.

Beginning? My assumption has always been that boosters for all major college teams are uncontrollable and they do whatever the hell they want. Now, some college teams are in on the booster's actions (many suspect that Ole Miss may be in that category), but a majority of the $1000 handshakes go on without the schools' involvement.
You are correct in your assumption. And what the boosters don't screw up is left for the equally uncontrollable agents to mess with.

Please stay on topic. It was an example of a type of actual cheating, not an off ramp for you to avoid the discussion at hand. Of course you know that already.

If you'd like to address any of the actual substance of my post, I'd be all ears. Please weigh on on how the other moron was trying to equate apples and oranges (without the deviation this time) or his ridiculous notion that the media just ignored stuff Joe did wrong.

Please stay on topic. It was an example of a type of actual cheating, not an off ramp for you to avoid the discussion at hand. Of course you know that already.

If you'd like to address any of the actual substance of my post, I'd be all ears. Please weigh on on how the other moron was trying to equate apples and oranges (without the deviation this time) or his ridiculous notion that the media just ignored stuff Joe did wrong.
I am staying on topic. You were mockingly comparing Paterno giving a kid some gum to a booster paying a recruit. The implication with that statement is that PSU boosters never paid kids while Paterno was the coach. Do you feel that implication is accurate?

In Joe's last year as head coach, he walked by the practice facility and happened to observe a player working out on the field. As I recall, it was a kicker or a punter. Shortly afterwards, Joe commented to Tom Bradley that the kid looked good in practice. Bradley told Joe that this was a dead period when coaches were supposed to have no contact with players, including just watching them practice. Joe, again, just walking by, realized the mistake. This, of course, was just a minor violation, and it was reported to the ncaa without consequence.

Yeah, Joe was a cheater.

cool, guess those sanctions never happened since they aren't in the database.

If you want to say, like JDK, that anyone that has any success in CFB other than Joe does it by cheating, go right ahead.

There have been many great coaches in the sport, something I'm willing to recognize and respect. I don't have to say they cheated to obtain that success to make myself feel better. Even if I don't really care for them as individuals.

To each his own.

The database shows major infractions. Penn State has never (in any sport) had a major infraction.

PSU also has the rare (unique?) distinction of being sanctioned without having committed a major infraction.

You seem to disagree, so please point to the NCAA investigation and which infractions they deemed PSU to be guilty of (HINT: there was no investigation and there were no infractions).

This is why the NCAA quickly backed off the sanctions. They knew they were wrong and they got called out on it.

I am staying on topic. You were mockingly comparing Paterno giving a kid some gum to a booster paying a recruit. The implication with that statement is that PSU boosters never paid kids while Paterno was the coach. Do you feel that implication is accurate?

You just did it again. You keep wanting to go off on tangents. You seem to understand my intent of mocking his ridiculous opinion. We don't need your opinion on the implication of that statement.

You just did it again. You keep wanting to go off on tangents. You seem to understand my intent of mocking his ridiculous opinion. We don't need your opinion on the implication of that statement.
It's not a tangent. I am asking you, do you feel that PSU boosters never paid a kid under Paterno's watch. Because if they did, how is that any different than what you are crying about with those other coaches?

It's not a tangent. I am asking you, do you feel that PSU boosters never paid a kid under Paterno's watch. Because if they did, how is that any different than what you are crying about with those other coaches?

I'm not following you down the rabbit hole. If you'd like to continue having a dialog, please go back and carefully re-read my posts that you have responded to, and try to stay on topic.

I'm not following you down the rabbit hole. If you'd like to continue having a dialog, please go back and carefully re-read my posts that you have responded to, and try to stay on topic.
If you are not willing to answer the question, then there really is nothing to discuss. You can go on being delusional if you like. The fact of the matter is that every program has dirt, even if those within the program are doing their best to keep it clean. And even those people make mistakes. Calling other coaches cheaters when the same thing likely happened here is laughable.

The easiest thing to do is to just look at the results and stop being a baby about "cheating".

If you are not willing to answer the question, then there really is nothing to discuss. You can go on being delusional if you like. The fact of the matter is that every program has dirt, even if those within the program are doing their best to keep it clean. And even those people make mistakes. Calling other coaches cheaters when the same thing likely happened here is laughable.

The easiest thing to do is to just look at the results and stop being a baby about "cheating".

And yet for $8 million super sleuth Louis Freeh was unable to come up with a single example of cheating.

Sure dude. Whatever.

And yet for $8 million super sleuth Louis Freeh was unable to come up with a single example of cheating.

Sure dude. Whatever.
Right, because $1000 hand shakes from previous years are documented and/or talked about extensively.

No one is saying that Paterno was directing or even aware of the cheating, but it takes a gigantic leap of faith to think that our boosters were completely clean for over 45 years. It's just silly. Every program in college football has had dirt.

Right, because $1000 hand shakes from previous years are documented and/or talked about extensively.

No one is saying that Paterno was directing or even aware of the cheating, but it takes a gigantic leap of faith to think that our boosters were completely clean for over 45 years. It's just silly. Every program in college football has had dirt.

There is zero evidence that anything like that ever happened at Penn State. Zero.

There is zero evidence that anything like that ever happened at Penn State. Zero.
GMJ is certainly the generalizer, no? Just because some schools do it does not mean every school. I know one who went through another type of scandal not even related to booster issues about 8 years ago and the new administration made the Booster Clubs be regulated under a School-Run Foundation with all kinds of rules and regs about what they could and could not do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT