ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt now ranked #24 in AP poll

Lmfao we just beat the worst team in the big ten as the 14th ranked team 20-7. what a joke of a comment this is
I just double checked our scores for this year. We did beat pitt 51 - 6. I also checked our roster and pitt's roster. We only lose 2 players of note. pitt loses half their team. Also, I looked at the incoming recruits. We are having a great recruiting season. pitt is bringing in MAC level recruits. Plus next year we play them at home and Franklin hates Narduzzi and would love to run up the score. Tell me again why my post stating that "we will beat them by a larger margin next year" was a "joke of a comment"?

Last edited:
Next week at this time pitt will not be ranked and after playing Clemson being ranked will be an afterthought

You can book that. Pitt does not finished seasons ranked. They will be 7-6 and talking about next year

This is what the universe does to Pitt. They let them barely squeak into the to top 25 for a week every couple of years, then the team "Pitts" and falls right back out, driving their few fans insane. I think the universe doesn't understand why anyone would actually choose to cheer for Pitt, so it likes to mess with those that do.

It is great though, how their fans reminisce about 'that week three years ago' they were ranked #24.

I just double checked our scores for this year. We did beat pitt 51 - 6. I also checked our roster and pitt's roster. We only lose 2 players of note. pitt loses half their team. Also, I looked at the incoming recruits. We are having a great recruiting season. pitt is bringing in MAC level recruits. Plus next year we play them at home and Franklin hates Narduzzi and would love to run up the score. Tell me again why my post was a 'joke of a comment"?

How dare you bring facts and logic into this discussion!

Don't forget that the terrible conditions that night in September kept Pitt in the game, as it slowed down Penn State's superior skill position players.

Not my point. They played a tough schedule

Not when you consider their conference schedule. Plus Notre dame isn't even really that good, you do realize they almost lost to Pitt?

With the running game bottled up for the first time in months, Pitt had to rely on Pickett to move the ball down the field. The young passer came through, completing 23 of 30 for a career-high 316 yards and three touchdowns.

Unlike games against Virginia and Virginia Tech, when the opposing offenses didn’t necessarily have all of the pieces and schemes in place to take full advantage of Pitt’s defense, Wake Forest did.

But the Panthers held star receiver Greg Dortch to 33 yards, intercepted Deacons quarterback Jamie Newman twice and held Wake Forest to their second-lowest point total of the 2018 season.

There was a point this season that Pickett and Narduzzi’s predictions didn’t just look unlikely, but outright laughable. Saturday, they got the last laugh.

See you all in Charlotte.

Pitt plays no one and we crushed them - the ACC Coastal stinks - we will hammer the, next year at home, book it. This team will much improved and will lose few starters except Trace which is a big loss but Stevens and Clifford are more than capable. We still have a better record than Pitt and will go to a better bowl - Clemson will drop a 100 on them.

I wouldn't bet on that one. Pitt has beaten Clemson in Death Valley. They also have a pretty good running game, which could control the clock. I know most here don't want to admit it, but Pitt has improved significantly since they played us. Not saying they'll win, but it might be more competitive than you think. Remember, Syracuse gave Clemson a good game. Pitt was able to beat Syracuse.

I don't know why you're assuming Miami will beat Pitt. Miami is awful and Pitt beat them last year when they were allegedly good.

Pretty sure Pitt fans will gladly take 7-6 or even 7-7 after they watched them get destroyed by us 51-6.

I don't care what Pitt does against Miami but I sure as hell hope they beat Clemson. Chaos would be great.

That would actually be the worst thing for Penn State as they would take our spot in a NY6 bowl.

Reactions: nittnee
We keep coming back to the same argument with what I guess are closet Pitt fans boosting them up. The ACC Coastal is awful. Minus Clemson the ACC Atlantic is not good. I know Sagarin isn't the end all but the ACC Coastal and Atlantic are only above the Pac 12 South among P5 divisions. Even the Big Ten West is rated higher than both ACC divisions. Sagarin has Syracuse at 43 and Pitt at 44 which is probably fairly accurate. One more year of meaningless Pitt drivel and then hopefully gone forever.

I wouldn't bet on that one. Pitt has beaten Clemson in Death Valley. They also have a pretty good running game, which could control the clock. I know most here don't want to admit it, but Pitt has improved significantly since they played us. Not saying they'll win, but it might be more competitive than you think. Remember, Syracuse gave Clemson a good game. Pitt was able to beat Syracuse.

Their schedule has gotten significantly worse since they played PSU.

As for their win in Death Valley, anyone who watched that game knows that Clemson was a far superior team who controlled almost the entire game, and just as they were about to pull away, they kept shooting themselves in the foot. Add in a few really bad calls by the officials at the end, and Pitt pulled off an upset that was unlikely to happen once, let alone twice.

Reactions: PSUoh90
If PSU loses to Maryland and Pitt wins, Pitt will be ranked higher, That shouldn't even be debated.
Why shouldn’t that be debated? Both will be 8-4, PSU has wins over Iowa and Wiscy, PSU not only won the head to head but beat them like they were a D2 team, and Pitt has beaten, um, er, um, well no one.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Why shouldn’t that be debated? Both will be 8-4, PSU has wins over Iowa and Wiscy, PSU not only won the head to head but beat them like they were a D2 team, and Pitt has beaten, um, er, um, well no one.

You can say this about a lot of Pitt's opponents this year, but they really shouldn't beat Miami on Saturday. While Miami is a glorified MAC team like the rest of the Coastal (ACC in general outside of Clemson), the game is at Miami and the U is a 5.5 favorite.

Their schedule has gotten significantly worse since they played PSU.

As for their win in Death Valley, anyone who watched that game knows that Clemson was a far superior team who controlled almost the entire game, and just as they were about to pull away, they kept shooting themselves in the foot. Add in a few really bad calls by the officials at the end, and Pitt pulled off an upset that was unlikely to happen once, let alone twice.

A bit of a fluke, yes. But, the fact that they were even in position to take advantage of breaks and win that game on the road has to be considered. Did you call it a fluke when we beat Ohio State on the blocked field goal? I didn't because it's part of the game. As far as Pitt's schedule this year, I don't see that it got any worse. They did play and nearly beat Notre Dame, and did beat Syracuse who until getting trounced last week, was ranked ahead of us. And no, I'm not a closet Pitt fan. I live here and have to deal with these fans and the anti Penn State media, which I despise, but I am a realist.

Last edited:
I believe Penn State would be ranked higher based on H2H and we don't have a loss (even if we lost to Maryland) as bad as UNC.

The "argument" for Pitt would be that they've improved since we played and that Penn State is 4-4 in their last eight and 2-2 in their last four

I don't think we lose to Maryland so I doubt it's a prolem but H2H doesn't always mean things to the voters. We see that every year.

Did you call it a fluke when we beat Ohio State on the blocked field goal?

Uh.... no. That’s and apples to oranges comparison. PSU was killer late in games that season, and had taken control of the game. Even if they don’t block the FG, they still likely win.

Pitt/Clemson was just a fluke after fluke after fluke.

I guess the narrative is nardoozie has pitt trending up while Franklin has Penn State trending down.

We’re screwed. :(

Uh.... no. That’s and apples to oranges comparison. PSU was killer late in games that season, and had taken control of the game. Even if they don’t block the FG, they still likely win.

Pitt/Clemson was just a fluke after fluke after fluke.

Really? That sounds like a lot of wishful thinking.
I agree Pitt/Clemson was a non-stop parade of flukes but I don't know how anyone could say we "still likely win" without the block FG

If PSU was to be playing @Pitt this weekend, which team wins?

I think we win as well but I don't think the people voting actually consider that. All they do is look at their current ballot. See who won and who lost. Then shift teams a few spots. Some don't even check all the scores.

Buffalo and Northern Illinois should be ranked if pitt is ranked. They have better records than pitt and play in the MAC which is equivalent to the ACC Coastal.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Really? That sounds like a lot of wishful thinking.
I agree Pitt/Clemson was a non-stop parade of flukes but I don't know how anyone could say we "still likely win" without the block FG

Did you not watch the game? PSU had all the momentum at that point in the game, and was moving the ball pretty much at will, and had completely shut down Ohio State's Offense. It was 21-17 when OSU tried a long 45 yard field goal. Other than a blocked FG for a TD, three things could have happened. A blocked FG returned some distance but not a TD (best case). A missed FG. Or they make the FG.

Regardless of which outcome, PSU has all the momentum, over 4 minutes, 2 timeouts, and 4 downs to score a TD. (If you watched PSU that season you know that late game heroics were pretty common). The most likely to occur was a block without the TD return, because well PSU did block the FG. This would have set up PSU with the shortest field. Next most likely is that OSU misses the FG, and PSU has good field position and is only down 21-17. Worst case OSU makes the FG, and PSU is only down 24-17, and PSU has a chance to tie and send to OT... but with all the momentum.

I just don't know how anyone could say that OSU would likely win without the block FG return for a TD. I'd like to hear your analysis as to why you think that OSU was more likely to win if the FG wasn't blocked and returned for a TD.

Reactions: OzLion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT