ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt’s very sophisticated offense is in full effect again tonight.

I don't know what the future holds regarding the B1G schedule, but as I said, several P5 teams find a way to make a game like this happen every year, including ones that currently have 9 conference games. If we go to 10 conference games, then we will get nothing but 2 cupcakes, and no, they do not always fill the stadium.....I have been to these games and can see empty seats with my own eyes, and I get the emails from the NLC offering significant discounts for crappy games, like they did for UMass this year, and even Rutgers.

Also, the travel costs that you consider to be "peanuts" are about to go thru the roof across all sports.

Considering there are no "marquee names" on our future schedules (that I can find), it seems that no one is getting what they want.
our schedule is TBD but it will include one or two of the new Pac12 teams (USC, UCLA, Wash, Oregon). All of those are much better opponents that Pitt for a lot of reasons.

I get that there are some "empty seats" for the Powder Puff games but there certainly weren't for WVU or Iowa. Are you suggesting we stop playing the powder puff games? Every team has them. Maybe you are suggesting Pitt is a powder puff team? That is really the problem....pitt is neither a marquee name nor a powder puff game. I think we'll see two light teams every year (this year it is Del and UMass). Then we have the B1G schools. Then we have, if the B1G permits, one OOC school of note. I'd much rather play NC, NCState, ND, Duke, Fl, Fstate...etc. Pitt doesn't do anything for us.

UM's schedule, this year, is pitiful. Why are travel costs going to go through the roof? Regardless, when I read that Colorado has made the equivalent of $90m for two games with Prime, I can't believe a few hundred in additional travel costs is relevant.

Reactions: bison13
To answer your question, YES, by all means, you should go on and list more. I find it amazing that so many Penn State fans (don’t know if you’re a Penn Stater, but I doubt it) care so much about the financial condition of an institution that has more money than god,,,,unless you all work in finance for the AD.

You must be relatively new to Penn State football, which explains a lot. Here are reasons, beyond the obvious that you can’t seem to grasp, why I think many Penn Staters would like to see Pitt more often (notice I still didn’t say should, or even every year):
- History and tradition means something to many fans…..maybe not you younger types
- Pitt is our closest and biggest in-state rival…..several P5 teams find a way to make a game like this happen every year, including ones that have 9 conference games
- Pitt is the only team we’ve played 100 times
- Pitt is an easy away game for fans to attend…..thousands of Penn Staters live in their backyard
- It is fun to beat little brother and shut them (and their coach) up….especially with so many alums, students and players from the Pittsburgh area
- It would be on national TV, and not Peacock or the BTN….don’t know if that means more money, but it sure as hell means more exposure

Your financial bullshit is just that….bullshit. Here’s why:
- Penn State has more money than god already (as previously mentioned)
- We can still schedule the cupcakes for 7 homes games…..I know you younger types like to take the easy route with as little effort as possible
- Easy road trip actually saves money on travel
- It would fill the stadium and Penn State could charge a premium for certain tickets….and NO, every opponent does not bring that
- It doesn’t have to be every year, so we can still schedule “better opponents” in off years…..note the absence of those “better opponents” on the future schedules, so it does not appear that our AD is all that interested in scheduling them

As for recruiting, etc.:
- I believe it would help recruiting in Pittsburgh’s tri-state area
- Because the game is on national TV, the added exposure would likely help recruiting overall
- It most definitely would not hurt recruiting
- A P5 opponent clearly helps SOS more than a G5 or FCS opponent
(Now, can you show me how the Auburn series helped with recruiting?.....how many blue-chip recruits from the state of Alabama did we steal away?)
Me new to PSU football is hilarious as is you calling me young. I’ve been a die hard fan for over 50 years and I’m a PSU grad as was my father and mother (that’s where they met). Most of your list is simply you, as a fan, wanting them to play….but that doesn’t help the program or the finances. And “having more money than God” is incorrect, so the rest of your financial argument is wrong. And almost every opponent does fill the stadium, especially if PSU is a contender. As far as recruiting, we don’t need any help, we already get who we want for the most part, so playing Auburn helps equally as much as playing Pitt, but playing at Auburn opens us up to a whole new area…playing at Pitt doesn’t.

You forgot that annoys the hell out of Duzz and a portion of their fans. That's another great reason not to play them.

Which do you think annoys them more, not playing Penn State or suffering thru a 51-6 beatdown at home? Also, I think Duzz was just answering a press-conference question in his typical douche-bag fashion when he said what he said recently about playing Penn State.

our schedule is TBD but it will include one or two of the new Pac12 teams (USC, UCLA, Wash, Oregon). All of those are much better opponents that Pitt for a lot of reasons.

I get that there are some "empty seats" for the Powder Puff games but there certainly weren't for WVU or Iowa. Are you suggesting we stop playing the powder puff games? Every team has them. Maybe you are suggesting Pitt is a powder puff team? That is really the problem....pitt is neither a marquee name nor a powder puff game. I think we'll see two light teams every year (this year it is Del and UMass). Then we have the B1G schools. Then we have, if the B1G permits, one OOC school of note. I'd much rather play NC, NCState, ND, Duke, Fl, Fstate...etc. Pitt doesn't do anything for us.

UM's schedule, this year, is pitiful. Why are travel costs going to go through the roof? Regardless, when I read that Colorado has made the equivalent of $90m for two games with Prime, I can't believe a few hundred in additional travel costs is relevant.

I’m not sure if you understood much of my post. We are talking OOC games here, and I assumed you knew what “OOC” means.

My point about empty seats was for the OOC cupcakes games (e.g., UMass), which does not include Iowa or WVU. However, the shitty late season in-conference games (e.g., Rutgers) also have plenty of empty seats.

I agree that the 4 incoming PAC teams are better opponents than Pitt, and that if we go to a 10-game conference schedule, the 2 OOC games are likely to be cupcakes only, and I’m fine with that, as previously mentioned. NOWHERE did I say stop playing the cupcakes, so you made that one up.

And, it really doesn’t matter who you or I would “much rather play”….Penn State isn’t listening to either of us. But, but as of now, future OOC games include only cupcakes and 2 old eastern rivals, WVU and Syracuse, neither of which I really care about.

Regarding travel costs, what I said was: “Also, the travel costs that you consider to be "peanuts" are about to go thru the roof across all sports.”….i.e., when the 4 incoming PAC schools are added. Look at a map for your answer…..gonna be WAY more than a few hundred…..so much so that Pat Kraft was asked specifically about that in his current Penn Stater magazine interview (page 55).

Lastly, regarding Colorado, they didn’t really “make” $90 million. From the linked article:

The University of Colorado announced Friday that media coverage of the football team this season under head coach Deion Sanders has exceeded $90 million value.
According to Olivia Doak of the Daily Camera (h/t Yahoo Sports), University of Colorado spokesperson Steve Hurlbert said the school ran a report to determine the "equivalent ad value" of Colorado's media coverage this season, and it totaled $90.55 million.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if you understood much of my post. We are talking OOC games here, and I assumed you knew what “OOC” means.

My point about empty seats was for the OOC cupcakes games (e.g., UMass), which does not include Iowa or WVU. However, the shitty late season in-conference games (e.g., Rutgers) also have plenty of empty seats.

I agree that the 4 incoming PAC teams are better opponents than Pitt, and that if we go to a 10-game conference schedule, the 2 OOC games are likely to be cupcakes only, and I’m fine with that, as previously mentioned. NOWHERE did I say stop playing the cupcakes, so you made that one up.

And, it really doesn’t matter who you or I would “much rather play”….Penn State isn’t listening to either of us. But, but as of now, future OOC games include only cupcakes and 2 old eastern rivals, WVU and Syracuse, neither of which I really care about.

Regarding travel costs, what I said was: “Also, the travel costs that you consider to be "peanuts" are about to go thru the roof across all sports.”….i.e., when the 4 incoming PAC schools are added. Look at a map for your answer…..gonna be WAY more than a few hundred…..so much so that Pat Kraft was asked specifically about that in his current Penn Stater magazine interview (page 55).

Lastly, regarding Colorado, they didn’t really “make” $90 million. From the linked article:

The University of Colorado announced Friday that media coverage of the football team this season under head coach Deion Sanders has exceeded $90 million value.
According to Olivia Doak of the Daily Camera (h/t Yahoo Sports), University of Colorado spokesperson Steve Hurlbert said the school ran a report to determine the "equivalent ad value" of Colorado's media coverage this season, and it totaled $90.55 million.

Fair enough.

I am just stating that the team will schedule X number of easy games. They will have to schedule X number of B1G conference games. That typically will leave one other game. This year it was WVU. Last year it was Auburn.

They aren't going to give up one of the easy games and they have to take what the B1G gives them. Why play Pitt on that one precious game? They aren't good enough to turn heads and they aren't bad enough to be one of the easy games. Pitt, WVU and Syracuse all fall into that category.

Me new to PSU football is hilarious as is you calling me young. I’ve been a die hard fan for over 50 years and I’m a PSU grad as was my father and mother (that’s where they met). Most of your list is simply you, as a fan, wanting them to play….but that doesn’t help the program or the finances. And “having more money than God” is incorrect, so the rest of your financial argument is wrong. And almost every opponent does fill the stadium, especially if PSU is a contender. As far as recruiting, we don’t need any help, we already get who we want for the most part, so playing Auburn helps equally as much as playing Pitt, but playing at Auburn opens us up to a whole new area…playing at Pitt doesn’t.

I thought you were going to provide more reasons….what happened?....other than you couldn’t come up with any more? I also knew you couldn’t refute anything in my detailed list.

If you are so worried about Penn State’s finances, then DONATE MORE MONEY….simple as that.

I said that cupcakes and shitty late season in-conference games do not always fill the stadium, which is the same as saying “almost every opponent does fill the stadium”…..apparently we agree.

YOU complained about Pitt not helping recruiting, and now you say “we don’t need help”, and, in fact, “playing Auburn helps equally as much as playing Pitt”….which is basically what I have been saying. As far as opening up a new area, that area was already open to Penn State. However, considering that in the last 33 years, we have had a 2-game series with Bama and a 2-game series with Auburn, we aren’t really “playing at Auburn” all that often, are we?

I remember when PSU's OOC scheduling strategy was to have one "soft" home game, one H/A set against a national power, and one H/A set against an eastern rival. Pitt would rotate in the latter with WVa, Syracuse, etc. I don't think this is easy to arrange and PSU may not be trying any more.

Pitt's Nard Dog is a favorite for the Sparty job.

IMO, he should take it. Might be his last chance at a Big Ten gig.

I thought you were going to provide more reasons….what happened?....other than you couldn’t come up with any more? I also knew you couldn’t refute anything in my detailed list.

If you are so worried about Penn State’s finances, then DONATE MORE MONEY….simple as that.

I said that cupcakes and shitty late season in-conference games do not always fill the stadium, which is the same as saying “almost every opponent does fill the stadium”…..apparently we agree.

YOU complained about Pitt not helping recruiting, and now you say “we don’t need help”, and, in fact, “playing Auburn helps equally as much as playing Pitt”….which is basically what I have been saying. As far as opening up a new area, that area was already open to Penn State. However, considering that in the last 33 years, we have had a 2-game series with Bama and a 2-game series with Auburn, we aren’t really “playing at Auburn” all that often, are we?
My list was still longer than yours because yours was the same reason written different ways. Obviously you want to play Pitt…that’s fine. Many people don’t for a lot of different reasons, but you saying it’s all because PSU is scared is ridiculous and has been proven ridiculous by all the reasons given by multiple posters in this thread alone. Also, your push to play Pitt makes you sound like a Pitt fan. If Pitt really wanted to play us, they would stop demanding a one for one, it’s that simple. They want to act like they want to play us, knowing we have no reason to do it, so they can crow about how we’re afraid to play them…yeah, we were shaking in our boots when we beat them the last three times in a row with two of them being complete blow outs. We don’t beat too many of our “cupcakes” 51-6, so the cupcakes give us better games.

Pitt's Nard Dog is a favorite for the Sparty job.

IMO, he should take it. Might be his last chance at a Big Ten gig.
Nice to see you here, Ivan. UM is off to a good start this year (don’t tell the PSU posters this, but I’m pulling for them due to a personal connection on the roster this year).

Regarding Narduzzi, I’m torn. He’s done everything I wanted him to do when he took over- make us conference contenders every couple years, win the ACC at least once. At the same time, it almost feels like we’ve hit a ceiling or, dare I say, expiration date. Last year was a very crucial year to determining whether that was our peak or we could build off it. I was satisfied, but it’s become apparent that 2021 was the peak. I’m not sure he can replicate it; and even then, how long will it take to do so again?

Might be best for everyone if he took the MSU job- he gets a Big Ten opportunity and I feel confident that our AD (who is phenomenal) will hire a great successor.

Reactions: lazydave841
My list was still longer than yours because yours was the same reason written different ways. Obviously you want to play Pitt…that’s fine. Many people don’t for a lot of different reasons, but you saying it’s all because PSU is scared is ridiculous and has been proven ridiculous by all the reasons given by multiple posters in this thread alone. Also, your push to play Pitt makes you sound like a Pitt fan. If Pitt really wanted to play us, they would stop demanding a one for one, it’s that simple. They want to act like they want to play us, knowing we have no reason to do it, so they can crow about how we’re afraid to play them…yeah, we were shaking in our boots when we beat them the last three times in a row with two of them being complete blow outs. We don’t beat too many of our “cupcakes” 51-6, so the cupcakes give us better games.

I see that you struggle with reading comprehension. I never said that Penn State is afraid of Pitt, so you clearly made that one up.

Does your push to play Auburn make you an Auburn fan? Do you think that a 41-12 beatdown @Auburn is that much better than a 51-6 beatdown @Pitt?

And what about the scores of recent cupcake games, like 63-7 just 3 weeks ago…..46-10 in 2022….44-13 in 2021…..79-7 in 2019. I could go on.

Did you write a big check and solve all of Penn State’s financial problems yet?

I see that you struggle with reading comprehension. I never said that Penn State is afraid of Pitt, so you clearly made that one up.

Does your push to play Auburn make you an Auburn fan? Do you think that a 41-12 beatdown @Auburn is that much better than a 51-6 beatdown @Pitt?

And what about the scores of recent cupcake games, like 63-7 just 3 weeks ago…..46-10 in 2022….44-13 in 2021…..79-7 in 2019. I could go on.

For the love of God can we PLEASE move on to something else?? Now we're comparing list sizes??

I dont think Pitt wants to play us anymore than we want to play them. Let's say we bury this dead horse and enjoy the rest of our season.

For the love of God can we PLEASE move on to something else?? Now we're comparing list sizes??

I dont think Pitt wants to play us anymore than we want to play them. Let's say we bury this dead horse and enjoy the rest of our season.
We ain’t playin’ Pitt in the next ten years….if ever.

Get over it.

None of this matters going forward. If Pitt loses to VA this weekend and falls to 1-4, things will begin to happen. Pitt is looking at a potential 2-10 or 3-9 season. Attendance after the VaTech loss will yield attendance (honest counts) of 15,000 max. Narduzzi will come under fire and will leave on his own for Michigan State or a MAC school. Heather Lyke will leave for Ohio State. Chris Peak and the Pitt board will lose their minds and hate penn State even more. Utter chaos will ensue at Pitt and the Steelers will kick Pitt out of their training facility to disassociate with Pitt. Pitt will begin to schedule Duquesne, Point Park, Robert Morris, and Triangle Tech and form the new City Conference.

I can only hope.😂😂😂😂

Honestly, the feeling is mutual. Penn State doesn't want to schedule a home/home series with Pitt anytime soon, and we're likely going to make the Backyard Brawl an annual non-conference game moving forward. It doesn't make sense for either side at this point.

None of this matters going forward. If Pitt loses to VA this weekend and falls to 1-4, things will begin to happen. Pitt is looking at a potential 2-10 or 3-9 season. Attendance after the VaTech loss will yield attendance (honest counts) of 15,000 max. Narduzzi will come under fire and will leave on his own for Michigan State or a MAC school. Heather Lyke will leave for Ohio State. Chris Peak and the Pitt board will lose their minds and hate penn State even more. Utter chaos will ensue at Pitt and the Steelers will kick Pitt out of their training facility to disassociate with Pitt. Pitt will begin to schedule Duquesne, Point Park, Robert Morris, and Triangle Tech and form the new City Conference.

I can only hope.😂😂😂😂
Heather is why I'm lukewarm regarding Coach Narduzzi's future at Pitt. If he leaves for Michigan State, I'm confident she will find us a great replacement, even if it's on her way out the door (if she leaves for Ohio State, I'd have no hard feelings; I'll miss her, but she's earned an elite job such as that one). We’ll be alright.

Edit: With that being said, we absolutely need to schedule Duquesne in football as well as basketball. No reason to play other FCS schools when we have one right down the road!

Last edited:

Beating Auburn 41-12 looked a lot better than beating Pitt 51-6….hell it would have looked better even if we beat 100-0. And you lost the scores of the cupcake games, but you post as if Pitt is not a cupcake game, so they shouldn’t be losing to us 51-6.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT