ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates 6 - Phillies 3

androcles

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2003
...the Bucs won 3 of 4 in the series...

...Pirates' LF Osuna threw out 3 Philly runners at 2nd base trying to stretch a single into a double!...

...looks like another long season for the Phils ... I thought they would be better this year...

Last edited:
You just now realized it's going to be a long season for the Phils? As a Phillies fan I've known that since May. As PSUcup1 noted, the Buccos suck too but the Phils have made a lot of teams look good this year.

What adds to the misery of watching the Phils is the commentary between Tom McCarthy and Ben Davis. They are so hard to listen to. Some of the innings have the atmosphere of a morgue and these guys babble on about anything and everything. Davis just tries too much, rather than comment naturally.

What adds to the misery of watching the Phils is the commentary between Tom McCarthy and Ben Davis. They are so hard to listen to. Some of the innings have the atmosphere of a morgue and these guys babble on about anything and everything. Davis just tries too much, rather than comment naturally.

The worst broadcasting crew in MLB. For everyone who was so eager for Kruk to be in the booth, he's horrible too. The only person that I can somewhat listen to is Schmidt and that's a miracle considering how detached he was and how uninterested he was back in the old Prism days. T Mac is the worst announcer in baseball. For a guy who has watched a ton of baseball, he's clueless.

The worst broadcasting crew in MLB. For everyone who was so eager for Kruk to be in the booth, he's horrible too. The only person that I can somewhat listen to is Schmidt and that's a miracle considering how detached he was and how uninterested he was back in the old Prism days. T Mac is the worst announcer in baseball. For a guy who has watched a ton of baseball, he's clueless.

Where have you gone Whitey and Harry K? Have to say, I think LA is starting to lose it the radio booth. He is constantly ripping the pitchers every time I listen to him. My suggestion for LA is go replace that stiff on the bench who is the so-called pitching coach.

Another play that happened tonight that was interesting, Phils had a guy on first (a slow guy, Knapp maybe). After a pitch the Bucs' catcher threw down to 1B Bell for a pickoff play and the hitter Blanco lost the bat into the crowd on a swinging strike. Bell was watching the meteoric bat fly into the crowd and the ball skipped all the way into the corner allowing Knapp to score. Bell is lucky the throw didn't nail him in the face. That's something I don't think I ever saw before. I don't recall three OF assists at 2B by the same OF either, or any combination of the three, for that matter. Altherr got busted twice. The baserunning is ass. None of this tonight was necessarily on Samuel (you're supposed to pick up the 3B coach when you make your turn so maybe it is) but he is a train wreck as a 3B coach, but I digress.

Watching the Phillies (and I do it every night, for some masochistic reason) is like watching an autopsy.

Last edited:
Another play that happened tonight that was interesting, Phils had a guy on first (a slow guy, Knapp maybe). After a pitch the Bucs' catcher threw down to 1B Bell for a pickoff play and the hitter Blanco lost the bat into the crowd on a swinging strike. Bell was watching the meteoric bat fly into the crowd and the ball skipped all the way into the corner allowing Knapp to score. Bell is lucky the throw didn't nail him in the face. That's something I don't think I ever saw before. I don't recall three OF assists at 2B by the same OF either, or any combination of the three, for that matter. Altherr got busted twice. The baserunning is ass. None of this tonight was necessarily on Samuel (you're supposed to pick up the 3B coach when you make your turn so maybe it is) but he is a train wreck as a 3B coach, but I digress.

Watching the Phillies (and I do it every night, for some masochistic reason) is like watching an autopsy.
I was at a Phils-Cards game way back when I witnessed the Phils Johnny Callison throw out George Altman and Stan Musial consecutively at second base. Both balls were hit off the louvred wall in right field at Connie Mack. Callison led the league in outfielder assists four straight years. Clemente had a stronger arm but Callison was more accurate.

...all is not lost...

...if they split their remaining 78 games the Phillies can avoid the dreaded 100 loss season - now 28/56... would finish 67/95 - with room to spare...

...all is not lost...

...if they split their remaining 78 games the Phillies can avoid the dreaded 100 loss season - now 28/56... would finish 67/95 - with room to spare...

What have you seen that makes you think they go .500 the rest of the way out. They will deal Hellickson, Kendrick, and the only guy who has got anyone out in the pen. Sure, these guys ain't showstoppers, but their replacements will be worse.

Where have you gone Whitey and Harry K? Have to say, I think LA is starting to lose it the radio booth. He is constantly ripping the pitchers every time I listen to him. My suggestion for LA is go replace that stiff on the bench who is the so-called pitching coach.

I'm surprised that they don't temper LA's criticism. If you want to just hear gumdrops and flowers and how everyone on the team is a really swell guy, T-Mac is your man. Every Phillies player checked their swing, every Phillies player is always safe on bang bang plays, every Phillies player is a really good guy, etc. That is the T-Mac model.

T-Mac is your man

Biggest water carrier since Aquarius. I'd take Wheeler back and let him do PbP if it meant launching McCarthy. He has plenty of other gigs. I realize these guys work for the club and all, and it's gotta be a long season trying to keep it interesting. Davis and Kruk throw some subtle sarcasm in once in awhile.

The guy who has a tough job is Bottalico doing the post-mortem on this crew every night but you'll get far more realism from him. Again though, he doesn't work for the club.

P
...the Bucs won 3 of 4 in the series...

...Pirates' LF Osuna threw out 3 Philly runners at 2nd base trying to stretch a single into a double!...

...looks like another long season for the Phils ... I thought they would be better this year...
The Phillies have good, young talent coming through the system. Take a look where they are this season and going forward, salary commitments wise. They are finding out who can play MLB baseball by letting this group play it out. After the season, they will better know what is needed. The roster will be dramatically different going forward.
http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/philadelphia-phillies/

P

The Phillies have good, young talent coming through the system. Take a look where they are this season and going forward, salary commitments wise. They are finding out who can play MLB baseball by letting this group play it out. After the season, they will better know what is needed. The roster will be dramatically different going forward.

Good link, thanks.

P

Boy howdy, if the Phillies have good young talent coming up through the system, bring 'em up now. This crew can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

...the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs and Reading Fightin' Phils are both at or near the top rung in AAA and AA...

...the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs and Reading Fightin' Phils are both at or near the top rung in AAA and AA...
I've seen Reading twice this season. Really like Kingery. I see every home game of the Pigs. Very good team. Not sold on Crawford, though.
I would allow all these guys to to stay together and have success. Most of the key prospects are in their first year at AAA. The same for Reading's roster at AA.

Boy howdy, if the Phillies have good young talent coming up through the system, bring 'em up now. This crew can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

that's fan talk.

a lot of these guys have only a few years in the system. If they stay in the minors all year, then they don't have to be placed on the 40-man roster, and aren't vulnerable in the Rule 5 draft. Kingery is an example of that. Let him spend the 2nd half in Lehigh Valley. If he continues to play as he did in the 1st half at Reading, and as he's done since he got moved up to the Iron Pigs, they'll know if he's ready for the bigs next year.

Reactions: EPC FAN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT