ADVERTISEMENT

Pin record

matter7172

Nov 14, 2012
So we wound up with Zain tying Josh Moore and David Taylor in all-time pins at PSU with 53. Ironically, both Zain and DT could have passed 53 if they had pinned their finals opponent (perhaps obviously).

https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/history/index.php?view=careerfalls

Looking at the list, I am struck by three things. One, considering his injury issues, Andrew Alton really had a lot of pins. He's tied for 9th in career pin %.

Two, three guys on the current roster stand a good chance of getting past the top pinners.

Jason Nolf is at 45. Given that he is #2 on the career pin % list at 51.1%, I think it's a foregone conclusion that he will be on the top of the pile sometime early in 2019 and that he will put some distance between him and Zain, Josh and David. It's entirely possible he could do it before the end of 2018.

Bo Nickal is at 41 and has the fourth best pin % at 44.6%. He should wind up #2 on the list after this season but don't think he'll catch Nolf. But you never know.

Mark Hall is at 25. Given that he missed the early part of the 2016-17 season and a lot of matches in that season, two more years should get him above the current top trio. His career % is 38.5, tied for 15th on the list, just behind DT.

Three, one of the rumblings I heard during the Sunderland years was that he worked the wrestlers too hard. He certainly had them wrestling a lot of matches. Moore doesn't even hit the top 25 in career %!

https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/history/index.php?view=careerfallspct

They missed a Tournament last year also I think. Probably a couple of pins for all the guys. Was it Vegas? edit yep Reno

So we wound up with Zain tying Josh Moore and David Taylor in all-time pins at PSU with 53. Ironically, both Zain and DT could have passed 53 if they had pinned their finals opponent (perhaps obviously).

https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/history/index.php?view=careerfalls

Looking at the list, I am struck by three things. One, considering his injury issues, Andrew Alton really had a lot of pins. He's tied for 9th in career pin %.

Two, three guys on the current roster stand a good chance of getting past the top pinners.

Jason Nolf is at 45. Given that he is #2 on the career pin % list at 51.1%, I think it's a foregone conclusion that he will be on the top of the pile sometime early in 2019 and that he will put some distance between him and Zain, Josh and David. It's entirely possible he could do it before the end of 2018.

Bo Nickal is at 41 and has the fourth best pin % at 44.6%. He should wind up #2 on the list after this season but don't think he'll catch Nolf. But you never know.

Mark Hall is at 25. Given that he missed the early part of the 2016-17 season and a lot of matches in that season, two more years should get him above the current top trio. His career % is 38.5, tied for 15th on the list, just behind DT.

Three, one of the rumblings I heard during the Sunderland years was that he worked the wrestlers too hard. He certainly had them wrestling a lot of matches. Moore doesn't even hit the top 25 in career %!

https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/history/index.php?view=careerfallspct
Mark Hall actually wrestled more matches as a true freshman, possibly redshirting than he would have if he had been in the lineup from day 1.
In 2016-17 Mark had 34 matches, Cenzo 26, Zain and Jason 27 and Bo had 28.

When Josh and Scott More were wrestling for PSU the team competed in several early season tournaments picking up extra matches. For example in 2002-03 Josh was 40-9, Scott was 54-9, Marck Becks was 43-6, Pat Cummins was 38-9 and Ryan was 23-23 and the team wrestled 19 duals.

They wrestled a ton of competitions, but I believe the over worked concern was a combination of poor weight management combined with excessive conditioning and not the necessary recovery periods.

Reactions: jtothemfp
The NCAA regulates competition more tightly than they used to do. It’s hard for any starter to get more than 35 matches in nowadays.

The NCAA regulates competition more tightly than they used to do. It’s hard for any starter to get more than 35 matches in nowadays.
Two separate rules, both with 16 competition date limits...one for the team, and one for the wrestler.

Even when a RS is pulled, the wrestler can't go beyond 16 competition dates for the regular season, which includes the RS period.

Mark Hall actually wrestled more matches as a true freshman, possibly redshirting than he would have if he had been in the lineup from day 1.
In 2016-17 Mark had 34 matches, Cenzo 26, Zain and Jason 27 and Bo had 28.

I forgot about that. However, he had more pins this season than in his first, albeit narrowly (13 vs. 12). He still has a shot at 54, I think, but don't see him catching Bo or Jason.

Two separate rules, both with 16 competition date limits...one for the team, and one for the wrestler.

Even when a RS is pulled, the wrestler can't go beyond 16 competition dates for the regular season, which includes the RS period.
Thank you Roar. I didn't realize that competition dates apply retroactively when redshirts become starters. So if Mark Hall has gone to six Opens before becoming a starter, he only had 10 competition dates left no matter how many PSU had remaining.

Reactions: RoarLions1
List shows Scott Moore is No. 8 with Career (PSU) falls at 35.
not trying to start a coulda, woulda, shoulda...
but he transferred (UVA) his Sr year and had 34 more falls there.

Reactions: matter7172
List shows Scott Moore is No. 8 with Career (PSU) falls at 35.
not trying to start a coulda, woulda, shoulda...
but he transferred (UVA) his Sr year and had 34 more falls there.

Cary Kolat got another 25 pins @LHU, giving him a total of 53 for his career.
Not S. Moore territory, but kinda ironic.

01) 107 Gene Mills
02) 106 Wade Schalles
03) 94 Larry Bielenberg
04) 91 Ben Askren
05) 87 Howard Harris
t6) 76 Hudson Taylor
t6) 76 Dan Gable
t8) 73 Jayson Ness
t8) 73 Ed Banach
t8) 73 Dan Severn
11) 71 Stephen Neal
12) 69 Taylor Walsh
13) 68 Scott Moore
14) 67 Mike Land
t15) 66 Corey Olson
t15) 66 Len Kauffman

The top two are debatable as the reporting/record keeping was so spotty.

01) 107 Gene Mills
02) 106 Wade Schalles
03) 94 Larry Bielenberg
04) 91 Ben Askren
05) 87 Howard Harris
t6) 76 Hudson Taylor
t6) 76 Dan Gable
t8) 73 Jayson Ness
t8) 73 Ed Banach
t8) 73 Dan Severn
11) 71 Stephen Neal
12) 69 Taylor Walsh
13) 68 Scott Moore
14) 67 Mike Land
t15) 66 Corey Olson
t15) 66 Len Kauffman

The top two are debatable as the reporting/record keeping was so spotty.
Your facts, while interesting, are irrelevant to the discussion.

I went to law school, and wrestled while there, with a guy who was a teammate of Gene Mills at Syracuse. I'm not sharing stories. :cool:

I went to law school, and wrestled while there, with a guy who was a teammate of Gene Mills at Syracuse. I'm not sharing stories. :cool:

Impressive. Most people are busy wrestling with Con Law and Torts in law school. :p

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT