ADVERTISEMENT

Picketts fake slide

So what do people think about Kenny 6 yds fake slide?
Personally I think it's a genius move within the rules as they are now but it should lead to a rule change and I'm really surprised that hated have someone try to take them out the next time they had the ball.
I think it was an abuse of a rule specifically designed to protect him and all players that give themselves up. It’s going to be a very subjective issue going forward, but the rule needs to change to down at that point or a unsportsmanlike penalty. It a similar issue along the sidelines that happens a lot as well and ends up in too many calls that go against the defensive players

I think it was an abuse of a rule specifically designed to protect him and all players that give themselves up. It’s going to be a very subjective issue going forward, but the rule needs to change to down at that point or a unsportsmanlike penalty. It a similar issue along the sidelines that happens a lot as well and ends up in too many calls that go against the defensive players
Yeah, thought it was bush league but within the rules. The real problem becomes how does a defender know when to pull up? Too early and the guy keeps running. Too late and you get called for tackling a helpless player. This could lead to more players getting hurt. Or more getting ejected. Or fights breaking out.

Yes. Don't need to rewrite the playbook.

Throw an unsportsmanlike flag. That is exactly what it is.

Similar to the infamous kickoff Wisky play. That flag is specifically for plays likw this.

LdN

Question is if a Wake defender would have hit him when he went to that motion would there have been a flag

Question is if a Wake defender would have hit him when he went to that motion would there have been a flag
Yes. WF defender hitting him = flag. That is why the rule needs to change. Good on him for making that play, however, since it is currently NOT a penalty.

Yeah, thought it was bush league but within the rules. The real problem becomes how does a defender know when to pull up? Too early and the guy keeps running. Too late and you get called for tackling a helpless player. This could lead to more players getting hurt. Or more getting ejected. Or fights breaking out.
With QB mobility and running these days, they need to take the skirts off the QBs. They run past the LOS, they're fair game. Get rid of the slide and defenseless player BS.

The QBs don't like it? Then stay behind your OL and throw the ball. Or rollout of the pocket and throw the ball away.

With QB mobility and running these days, they need to take the skirts off the QBs. They run past the LOS, they're fair game. Get rid of the slide and defenseless player BS.

The QBs don't like it? Then stay behind your OL and throw the ball. Or rollout of the pocket and throw the ball away.

Great point…..if a QB decides to run past the LOS, he should be treated like any other player that has the ball, RB or WR!

Good for him for finding a loop hole but it will likely be illegal next season. Think of a fake fair catch signal.
No way. Total d-bag move.
Rule exists to prevent you from getting hit and you abuse it? No way.
Couldn't have faulted wake if they knee capped him when they had the chance.

100% correct.
The play is over when he starts to slide. Absolutely should have been an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. The rule will be clarified during the off-season. The intent is to keep QBs from getting injured. Allowing bush league crap like this will get them killed.

Fitting that one of Nardouchey’s players opened this can of worms. He also had his defenders clapping to interfere with the snap count during the 2016 PSU game. This shouldn’t surprise anyone. He was a Dantonio protege, and the apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

Yeah, was wrong and I imagine he caught the officials by surprise. I'm sure it's been discussed and I doubt if the refs allow it to happen again. No need for a rule change, just needs to be blown dead, although they may address it with some wording in the giving yourself up rule. It could have been a spur of the moment thing, but I doubt it. Pickett and Narduzzi likely discussed and planned it when the opportunity presented itself. We know that Narduzzi has always tested the limits of the rules. Over the years, his pass defenders have held and committed interference consistently and when it's called, he flips out on the sideline. It's his strategy. And there was the clapping thing he used to disrupt Penn State's playcalling in 2016. It was clearly a rules violation, but they got away with it.

I certainly hope you don't represent the rest of Penn St's fans. Hoping a guy gets hurt by the opposing team for making a great play

100% correct.
The play is over when he starts to slide. Absolutely should have been an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. The rule will be clarified during the off-season. The intent is to keep QBs from getting injured. Allowing bush league crap like this will get them killed.

Fitting that one of Nardouchey’s players opened this can of worms. He also had his defenders clapping to interfere with the snap count during the 2016 PSU game. This shouldn’t surprise anyone. He was a Dantonio protege, and the apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

Yeah Dantonio won a conference title so did nardouchie

Yeah, was wrong and I imagine he caught the officials by surprise. I'm sure it's been discussed and I doubt if the refs allow it to happen again. No need for a rule change, just needs to be blown dead, although they may address it with some wording in the giving yourself up rule. It could have been a spur of the moment thing, but I doubt it. Pickett and Narduzzi likely discussed and planned it when the opportunity presented itself. We know that Narduzzi has always tested the limits of the rules. Over the years, his pass defenders have held and committed interference consistently and when it's called, he flips out on the sideline. It's his strategy. And there was the clapping thing he used to disrupt Penn State's playcalling in 2016. It was clearly a rules violation, but they got away with it.
Also remember the blatant face mask penalties when PSU was in the process of humiliating them 51-6 on their own field. Obvious attempt to injure and obviously ok with the coach. GA Tech coach almost refused to shake his hand after the 2020 game. Nardouchey has wandered into Bielema fake kickoff territory. That’s who and what he is. Makes the look on his face when his kicker missed the 18 yard FG in 2019 even sweeter. He’s the perfect coach to represent the Pitt fan base.

• Haha
Reactions: m48tank and IIVI
Yes. WF defender hitting him = flag. That is why the rule needs to change. Good on him for making that play, however, since it is currently NOT a penalty.
Exactly…but why is a rule change needed? Refs coulda just marked him down at the 42. As soon as he starts into that motion he’s down…isn’t that the rule now?

My thoughts on the "slide rule"

At one point it served a purpose. Until not too long ago there were pro style and option style college QBs. Option style QBs rarely slid, just not their style. Pro style QBs didn't want to run and generally didn't unless absolutely necessary. They needed the slide rule.

Most of today's QBs are a combo of option and pro. In my opinion, they shouldn't have the slide rule protection since their running is often at least a decent percentage of their teams yards. This puts the defense at a huge disadvantage. And subject to too many penalties.

I certainly hope you don't represent the rest of Penn St's fans. Hoping a guy gets hurt by the opposing team for making a great play
I certainly hope you're not a Pitt grad because it would be an indictment of the ability to teach reading comprehension and critical thinking.

Reactions: RaymondReddington
Pickett’s lucky he didn’t hurt a knee when he did that yesterday.

He may hurt his arm throwing for 500+ yds vs. MSU. The Pitt coaching staff won’t blow this game by running the ball like PSU tried to do.

My take. I thought that Pickett intended on sliding and once he began, he changed his mind because the defenders basically stopped moving forward, breaking down and flat footed. So do I think his intentions was to fake the slide, no. It puts the defense in a very difficult spot.

Pickett’s lucky he didn’t hurt a knee when he did that yesterday.

He may hurt his arm throwing for 500+ yds vs. MSU. The Pitt coaching staff won’t blow this game by running the ball like PSU tried to do.
He won’t have to play in a snowstorm either. Of course, you left that part out.

He won’t have to play in a snowstorm either. Of course, you left that part out.

A snowstorm helps the offensive receivers vs the defensive defenders you left that part out. MSU did not slow down or hinder our passing game, the only thing that stopped our passing game was our running the ball.

Reactions: franklinman

I’d be fine with that. If teams don’t want their qb getting hit he can get down a lot sooner.

Great point…..if a QB decides to run past the LOS, he should be treated like any other player that has the ball, RB or WR!
They are. Any player with the ball can initiate a slide and give themself up but it’s generally only QBs. Rarely you see it by WRs and RBs late in a game to preserve clock rather than continue a play.

Really it’s not even needed in college. A player can just kneel to end a play. In the NFL a slide makes more sense as it is a more clear indication of giving yourself up.

They are. Any player with the ball can initiate a slide and give themself up but it’s generally only QBs. Rarely you see it by WRs and RBs late in a game to preserve clock rather than continue a play.

Really it’s not even needed in college. A player can just kneel to end a play. In the NFL a slide makes more sense as it is a more clear indication of giving yourself up.
Are you serious?

A snowstorm helps the offensive receivers vs the defensive defenders you left that part out. MSU did not slow down or hinder our passing game, the only thing that stopped our passing game was our running the ball.
Why, of course a slippery ball benefits the team that has to throw and catch it. 🙄

Why, of course a slippery ball benefits the team that has to throw and catch it. 🙄

Clifford vs MSU: 23 of 34, 67%, 313 YDS, 3 TDS, 0 INTS

As I said, MSU never stopped our passing attack, PSU’s running game stopped our passing attack.

Red, stick to The Blacklist!

Clifford vs MSU: 23 of 34, 67%, 313 YDS, 3 TDS, 0 INTS

As I said, MSU never stopped our passing attack, PSU’s running game stopped our passing attack.

Red, stick to The Blacklist!
Weather conditions worsened as the game went on. Conditions aren’t static in games like that.

So what do people think about Kenny 6 yds fake slide?
Personally I think it's a genius move within the rules as they are now but it should lead to a rule change and I'm really surprised that they didn't have someone try to take him out the next time they had the ball.
Next time he should get knocked out. It was a punk ass move.

I don’t think Pickett did anything with intent. I think he intended to slide and noticed the defenders had already given up on the play. It was a great play on his part. However, the issue does need addressed for the purpose of player safety in the future.

I remember Tom Brady of Michigan slowing down to run out of bounds against PSU, then suddenly turning upfield at the last second after Lions' defender pulled up so he wouldn't hit Brady out of bounds. He got several extra yards out of it.

Are you serious?
Yes. What did I say that didn’t seem serious?

The difference between the NFL and college in regards to being down (needing contact) makes the need for gauging “giving yourself up” different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT