ADVERTISEMENT

Picketts fake slide

I also looked at it as a cheap play, not a great play. I mentioned to some friends who were also watching the game "if he runs again he's going to get clobbered".
was great play since it worked nothing cheap about it now show me some rules that say diff??like I said he was up they should have hit him!

They are. Any player with the ball can initiate a slide and give themself up but it’s generally only QBs. Rarely you see it by WRs and RBs late in a game to preserve clock rather than continue a play.

Really it’s not even needed in college. A player can just kneel to end a play. In the NFL a slide makes more sense as it is a more clear indication of giving yourself up.
Well, and the "down" rule is different in both sports. In the NFL, I think, you can get up if you are not touched by a defender.

Well, and the "down" rule is different in both sports. In the NFL, I think, you can get up if you are not touched by a defender.
True...in the NFL, a knee down is not down unless the player is covered (touched while down). However, if the player "gives himself up" the play is blown dead and stopped. So if a QB slides, he's down as he's given himself up. The difference between the slide and putting a knee down is that it takes longer to put a knee down (you have to stop then kneel) and can get blown up by the D in the process. The issue of sliding is that the player is immediately down when they've committed to the slide.

I recall QBs, who enjoy better protections, used to pretend to run out of bounds only to turn upfield when the defenders relax.

The real question becomes "when is a slide a slide? when has the player committed to giving himself up?" I would not have been shocked if a ref blew that play dead in the hope of protecting the QB....in other words, the QB can end up faking out the refs and not just the defenders.

Reactions: joeaubie21
When a player gives themselves up in either they do not have to be touched. In fact in both leagues the ball is placed where they start their slide, not where they finish.

It was a smart play for now.....for now. I assume there will be a rule change on it after the season because as you saw all 3 WF defenders literally stopped because he was "giving himself up".

I remember Tom Brady of Michigan slowing down to run out of bounds against PSU, then suddenly turning upfield at the last second after Lions' defender pulled up so he wouldn't hit Brady out of bounds. He got several extra yards out of it.
I believe that was Brian Griese.

When a player gives themselves up in either they do not have to be touched. In fact in both leagues the ball is placed where they start their slide, not where they finish.

It was a smart play for now.....for now. I assume there will be a rule change on it after the season because as you saw all 3 WF defenders literally stopped because he was "giving himself up".
Correct. The play is supposed to end at initiation of the slide. You can sometimes see an NFL QB not touched after a slide, tho unusual because they slid to avoid an actual tackle in the first place.

Despite the idea that there isn’t a rule against it, the refs missed that he initiated a slide and didn’t follow thru. Play should have just been blown dead when he initiated it.

The Brady on the sideline is kinda different because only if he goes out of bounds is he off limits. Not before. It might be more similar to signaling a fair catch and then running which is unsportsmanlike because the play is dead at the catch. This play should have been whistled dead when he attempted the slide which is where it’s also supposed to be spotted

Reactions: Texas Lion
If Clifford had done that to beat Michigan Or OSU or Michigan St would we not have celebrated it? Credit the kid for taking advantage but yeah it should be a penalty now that a precedent was set.
It could be a penalty….or just blow the play dead for initiating a hook slide. Play over.

Reactions: joeaubie21
If Clifford had done that to beat Michigan Or OSU or Michigan St would we not have celebrated it? Credit the kid for taking advantage but yeah it should be a penalty now that a precedent was set.
No. Who celebrates something like that.

The officials blew it. There should have been an immediate whistle and penalty in CFB.

Yes. Don't need to rewrite the playbook.

Throw an unsportsmanlike flag. That is exactly what it is.

Similar to the infamous kickoff Wisky play. That flag is specifically for plays likw this.

LdN
Totally agree. clearly unsportsmanlike conduct. He deserves to get his head taken off next time he starts into a (potential) slide.

Good. It is the only way to keep it fair without getting rid of the defensive limitations when a QB slides (which they shouldn't do).
The weird thing is, I’ve already heard TV folks mentioning the change. But it isn’t a change. It’s just an enforcement of the rule. The play is over when the QB initiates a slide. That’s been the rule all along. You can’t really fake it at all. The refs just missed calling when they were supposed to in the first place.

So what do people think about Kenny 6 yds fake slide?
Personally I think it's a genius move within the rules as they are now but it should lead to a rule change and I'm really surprised that they didn't have someone try to take him out the next time they had the ball.

If the QB wants to fake the slide, they should be open game for the defense to go after for the rest of the game.

It was a dirty, unsportsmanlike play and should have been blown dead. It caught the officials by surprise and they didn't react properly. I think it likely that Pickett and Narduzzi discussed and planned it.

It was a dirty, unsportsmanlike play and should have been blown dead. It caught the officials by surprise and they didn't react properly. I think it likely that Pickett and Narduzzi discussed and planned it.
Nardouchey is the kind of scum bag that stands on the sideline afterward smirking.
See also: Mark Dantonio and Brett Bielema.

Unsportsmanlike, yes. Dirty?? Hardly. No one got hurt or had a chance to get hurt.

Edit: I just looked at it. It's as much a head fake as a fake slide--and you could read it as an attempt to change direction by lowering the center of gravity. And I don't like Pitt AT ALL.

Unsportsmanlike, yes. Dirty?? Hardly. No one got hurt or had a chance to get hurt.

Edit: I just looked at it. It's as much a head fake as a fake slide--and you could read it as an attempt to change direction by lowering the center of gravity. And I don't like Pitt AT ALL.
I would argue that you are in the minority on that thought, especially given that Pickett essentially admitted what he did.

Yeah, thought it was bush league but within the rules. The real problem becomes how does a defender know when to pull up? Too early and the guy keeps running. Too late and you get called for tackling a helpless player. This could lead to more players getting hurt. Or more getting ejected. Or fights breaking out.
Feel like we've seen this a fair amount already on plays near the sidelines.. qb looks about ready to step oob and defenders really hold up.. then qb scoots ahead for a few more yards. I've seen back and receivers do the same but defenders aren't as easily fooled by it and more apt to unload... more apt to hold the horses when it's the qb and some take advantage.

This run was a glaring example of taking advantage of the rules. I'm pretty sure he didn't just do it 'spur of the moment'... it's something he's planned to do given the right circumstances (and there is the added risk of injury if he deeks and his ankle gives out). It was a game changer of sorts and to someone else's point, i'm surprised someone didn't try to de-cleat him later. It almost certainly will lead to a change in the rules.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
It was within the words of the rule, but NOT within the spirit of the rule. I'm not a fan of stuff like that

Feel like we've seen this a fair amount already on plays near the sidelines.. qb looks about ready to step oob and defenders really hold up.. then qb scoots ahead for a few more yards. I've seen back and receivers do the same but defenders aren't as easily fooled by it and more apt to unload... more apt to hold the horses when it's the qb and some take advantage.

This run was a glaring example of taking advantage of the rules. I'm pretty sure he didn't just do it 'spur of the moment'... it's something he's planned to do given the right circumstances (and there is the added risk of injury if he deeks and his ankle gives out). It was a game changer of sorts and to someone else's point, i'm surprised someone didn't try to de-cleat him later. It almost certainly will lead to a change in the rules.
Certainly? It won’t because it didn’t need it. The NCAA just reminded the ref the initiation of the hook slide is where a play is ruled dead….per the regular rule. That means you can’t really fake it, since a fake is still an initiation of it…even if not completed. The refs missed blowing the whistle and stopping the play. They could create a rule to flag them for doing something past a dead play, like running with a fair caught punt.

out of bounds is different because the play isn’t actually dead until the ball carrier is out of bounds. I do however, get what you mean.

He stated that It was spur of the moment. He said he got the first down and started to slide then saw the defender let up. So he didn’t slide and took off

Reactions: N&B4PSU
He stated that It was spur of the moment. He said he got the first down and started to slide then saw the defender let up. So he didn’t slide and took off
Thought I just read (after posting) that he admitted to planning to do it (might have that wrong... should have flagged the article). Highly doubtful this wasn't planned to be done at some opportune moment... but that's my opinion.

Reactions: Obliviax
Thought I just read (after posting) that he admitted to planning to do it (might have that wrong... should have flagged the article). Highly doubtful this wasn't planned to be done at some opportune moment... but that's my opinion.
Very good. No problem. He said it wasn’t planned at the heisman ceremony show

Reactions: N&B4PSU
My thoughts on the "slide rule"

At one point it served a purpose. Until not too long ago there were pro style and option style college QBs. Option style QBs rarely slid, just not their style. Pro style QBs didn't want to run and generally didn't unless absolutely necessary. They needed the slide rule.

Most of today's QBs are a combo of option and pro. In my opinion, they shouldn't have the slide rule protection since their running is often at least a decent percentage of their teams yards. This puts the defense at a huge disadvantage. And subject to too many penalties.
Does the slide rule only apply to QBs? I thought Technically RBs and WRs could slide too and the defense would be assessed a penalty for hitting them. They just rarely do it.

Does the slide rule only apply to QBs? I thought Technically RBs and WRs could slide too and the defense would be assessed a penalty for hitting them. They just rarely do it.
well, if so, you'd have to be pretty "calculating" to manipulate the slide rule!

Reactions: Woodpecker
ADVERTISEMENT