ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies well on their way to losing 100 games or more! 0 - 4 now!!

No doubt the Phillies are down and have quite a spotty history. Let's not forget the Pirates history hasn't been so kind either. Aren't they four years removed from TWENTY consecutive losing seasons?

Reactions: TheGLOV and nits74
Hey Glov, we have to lay low and let the phillies fans discuss their own misery.

It's not gentlemanly to hit a man when he's down.....
I will bet they won't have a North American professional sports record 20 straight losing seasons.

Reactions: TheGLOV
no they probably wont, but they do have the all time loss record by more than 600 over the Buccos in 1 less year.

I will bet they won't have a North American professional sports record 20 straight losing seasons.

Yep, in the only major sport where unlimited spending is allowed, and promoted, small market teams have to scrape to develop their own players. But that's why it so much fun to see the baseball big spenders fall flat on their faces.....

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
Yep, in the only major sport where unlimited spending is allowed, and promoted, small market teams have to scrape to develop their own players. But that's why it so much fun to see the baseball big spenders fall flat on their faces.....
Since the beginning of free agency in baseball 1976, 21 different teams have won the World Series. That's with no salary cap.
Since 1976, 14 different teams have won the Super Bowl.
Since 1976, 11 different NBA teams have won titles.
So, more teams have won baseball championships without a salary cap than different teams have won titles in salary cap leagues. Interesting.

Since the beginning of free agency in baseball 1976, 21 different teams have won the World Series. That's with no salary cap.
Since 1976, 14 different teams have won the Super Bowl.
Since 1976, 11 different NBA teams have won titles.
So, more teams have won baseball championships without a salary cap than different teams have won titles in salary cap leagues. Interesting.
Haven't researched this, EPC, but do you know how many of the 21 were small market, and how many of those have occurred since the luxury tax was implemented? Will be interesting to see what happens, if anything, with regard to further revenue sharing in the upcoming labor negotiations. Specifically, I'm referring to addressing the inequities with respect to local broadcast revenue. In any case the Pirates do look to have one very smart management team at present, which I think speaks to your point.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV and EPC FAN
No doubt the Phillies are down and have quite a spotty history. Let's not forget the Pirates history hasn't been so kind either. Aren't they four years removed from TWENTY consecutive losing seasons?
It cracks me up. Fans of a team not far removed from 20 straight losing seasons and which has choked its way out of the playoffs are now talking smack. Get back to us when you actually win something.

It cracks me up. Fans of a team not far removed from 20 straight losing seasons and which has choked its way out of the playoffs are now talking smack. Get back to us when you actually win something.
Wouldn't characterize most of the posts as "smack." "Choked its way out of the playoffs" is simply inaccurate. The Pirates ran into two extremely hot pitchers in the last two WC games. So "get back to us" when you acquire a little more knowledge of the game.

Last edited:

And they're otherwise fun to watch and cheer for, in a really entertaining division.
Wouldn't characterize most of the posts as "smack." "Choked it's way out of the playoffs" is simply inaccurate. The Pirates ran into two extremely hot pitchers in the last two WC games. So "get back to us" when you acquire a little more knowledge of the game.

GLOVs is, and the point stands. Win a playoff series before you start bragging about how great your team is; given a recent generation of historic futility, pirate fans are hardly in a position to knock other teams that are down, especially one with a recent championship.

Reactions: TheGLOV and EPC FAN
100 loss seasons are the true mark of futility in MLB. Historically, Pittsburgh teams have set the mark 8 times, including 1 season as the Pittsburgh Alleghenys. Philly teams have done it 25 times, 14 for the Phillies and 11 for the Athletics. Of course, all of this is historical. All I care about is what my favorite team is doing this year and it looks like the Pirates will have a pretty good team. I wish the Phillies no ill will. I hope the day will come, before I die, when the Bucs and Phils play for the NL Championship.

And they're otherwise fun to watch and cheer for, in a really entertaining division.

GLOVs is, and the point stands. Win a playoff series before you start bragging about how great your team is; given a recent generation of historic futility, pirate fans are hardly in a position to knock other teams that are down, especially one with a recent championship.

Won't argue this. And I find myself pulling for the Phils. Although, have come to like the Mets, largely because I've had many good experiences with their fans.

P.S. That's just Glov being The Glov. All in good fun, I think.

Last edited:
But I did not place a bet.

Oh well.
Who is the first call up from the minors. Obviously bullpen pitchers but they don't have anyone. First position player could be Roman Quinn, saw him play in spring training. Exciting player, would be one of the fastest runners in the majors. For those who follow, speed is rated at 80, highest rating scouts give.

Who is the first call up from the minors. Obviously bullpen pitchers but they don't have anyone. First position player could be Roman Quinn, saw him play in spring training. Exciting player, would be one of the fastest runners in the majors. For those who follow, speed is rated at 80, highest rating scouts give.
Don't know enough to answer this, but they made some good moves and are on track for success sooner rather than later in my opinion.

Won't argue this. And I find myself pulling for the Phils. Although, have come to like the Mets, largely because I've had many good experiences with their fans.
P.S. That's just Glov being The Glov. All in good fun, I think.
Agreed. The GLOV generally means no harm, but he does have his moments.:rolleyes:

So you don't think having the NL's second most wins, two years out of the last three years running, while playing in the toughest division is worthy of some bragging?

So you don't think having the NL's second most wins, two years out of the last three years running, while playing in the toughest division is worthy of some bragging?

What does Pittsburgh's recent success have to do with Philadelphia's current failures?

What does Pittsburgh's recent success have to do with Philadelphia's current failures?
Reference, jp, reference. NittPicker"s post was "It cracks me up. Fans of a team not far removed from 20 straight losing seasons and which has choked its way out of the playoffs are now talking smack. Get back to us when you actually win something."

Guys, gals, guys,...relax!

A while back I was going to Vegas, read a few articles about the upcoming Phillies season and both mentioned that they stand a good chance of losing 100 games or more this year.

I post the thread here asking for advice about whether or not I should just make the $50.00 bet is all.

Relax!!!

This is not a 'Burgh vs. Philly barb of any means.

Just chill out!!!!!

Reactions: nits74
Another great starting pitching effort and finally the bullpen does their job, 1-0 final for the Fightins!

who can tell me what this is?
HR%20Stargell1.png

Phightin' Phils! They will go on streaks this year and it will be maddening at times but the future is bright. The fun really begins in a few months.

who can tell me what this is?
HR%20Stargell1.png
Did you ever have the opportunity to see a game at The Vet? If you did, you know how far that was hit. Lots of class shown by the Phillies to honor an opponent that way.

Reactions: jp3272
Correct! Here's a pano shot of the Vet's right field for perspective of where Stargell's 1971 HR was immortalized
06vets_stargell.jpg

As a kid I saw Dick Allen just crush a ball out of Connie Mack Stadium.
He hit so many titanic shots it was amazing. Never got much credit because he "was not an Uncle Tom" as most black players were at that time. The hate for him continues.

Just read this from and article saying why Allen in NOT in the Hall of Fame.
Hall of Famer Willie Mays still says that he's never seen anyone hit the ball harder.

"I've never seen anyone hit longer home runs than this man,''Goose Gossage said. "It was just amazing. And every time he got knocked down by a pitcher, he'd hit one right up the middle trying to kill him.

"Never seen anything like it.''

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT