ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies News

psulongago

Aug 29, 2001
Trade Galvis to Padres for Enyel De Los Santos (Pitcher)
Sign Carlos Santana (not that one) to play 1st
Hoskins to LF - ;probably trading one of the remaining OF's

Ok with the Galvis deal. Question the Santana signing, especially at that number

Ok with the Galvis deal. Question the Santana signing, especially at that number
Don't care about the number but signing doesn't make a lot of sense. Guess Hoskins moves to the OF but you still have Williams, Obdulla (sp), and Alther, all young with lots of upside. One must be going for a pitcher. Didn't realize Santana is a career 240's hitter. Must be about Sabermetrics(?), Santana draws a lot of walks.

Don't care about the number but signing doesn't make a lot of sense. Guess Hoskins moves to the OF but you still have Williams, Obdulla (sp), and Alther, all young with lots of upside. One must be going for a pitcher. Didn't realize Santana is a career 240's hitter. Must be about Sabermetrics(?), Santana draws a lot of walks.
Yeah, I think the Indians used him early in the lineup, even at Lead-off.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/santaca01.shtml

may make more sense when we learn of a deal with one of the OF's

Reactions: hemo
may make more sense when we learn of a deal with one of the OF's
If one of the OF's prefer Althere, has been injury prone and right handed (easier to replace) not sure if he becomes Jayson Werth or JMJ, for non-insiders, that's John Mayberry, Jr. Minor leagye system has several OF's in top 10-12: Moniak, Haseley, Cozens, Quinn, Randolph. BTW, pitcher received for Galvis is now slotted #9 in Phils system.

Santana signed through 2020 (club option in 2021). When that expires, Hoskins move back to 1B. Just a supposition, but I don't think it's coincidence that Mike Trout is a FA after the 2020 season...so, in effect, Santana is a filler until that time.

Santana hasn't caught in several years. I am not sure why he was held in such high regard here in CLE. He hit .259 with 23 home runs and 79 RsBI. 94 strikeouts and 88 walks. This is pretty much an average year for him. He was also surrounded by a darn good bench. He always looks disinterested but the other players seem to love him.

He is, however, a very good firstbasemen.

It is a bit of a loss for the Tribe, but I don't think he's all that great. Especially at $60m over three seasons.

I don't understand given the OF'ers on the roster. To be honest, I don't see a whole lot of difference production wise between Santana and Tommy Joseph. If you are thinking .250 and 20 fingers, why pay up when TJ basically gave you that.

I'm thinking they trade who brings the biggest return, That would seem to mean Nick or Odubel given his contract certainty.

This one doesn't make a lot of sense though.

I don't understand given the OF'ers on the roster. To be honest, I don't see a whole lot of difference production wise between Santana and Tommy Joseph. If you are thinking .250 and 20 fingers, why pay up when TJ basically gave you that.

I'm thinking they trade who brings the biggest return, That would seem to mean Nick or Odubel given his contract certainty.

This one doesn't make a lot of sense though.
Santana is a far superior defensive first baseman and about 80 points higher in OBP. Plus a switch hitter. Tommy at best is a platoon hitter w/o a position. He will likely be moved for something and packaged with someone else. I am guessing the extra OF will be used to bring in pitching or my hope in a package for Machado (although unlikely)

Santana is a far superior defensive first baseman and about 80 points higher in OBP. Plus a switch hitter. Tommy at best is a platoon hitter w/o a position. He will likely be moved for something and packaged with someone else. I am guessing the extra OF will be used to bring in pitching or my hope in a package for Machado (although unlikely)

Well of course given Santana's history of walks.

Last year Santana - 23-79 in 667 Plate Appearances
Last year Joseph - 22-69 in 553 Plate Appearances

Joseph made $500,000, Santana will be paid almost 40 times that salary per year over the next 3 years.

I'm not a Joseph fan by any means but this also weakens their OF defense by moving Hoskins again. But this is what the organization does well, make guys uncomfortable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT