ADVERTISEMENT

Philadelphia Eagles 2021 Offseason Thread

I think he won’t have a great set of choices at 12. Waddle might be there. Horn doesn’t excite me. I see a lot of Howie selection risk at 12.

At 6, he’d have likely had his choice of any WR or Pitts. If Sewell wound up available (strong hints Burrow is lobbying for Chase in Cincy), he’d have hit the lotto.
I just looked at 6 mocks. They had Horn (2), Waddle, Pitts, Devonta Smith (2). I can't say Horn would be a lock, but consensus seems to be that he is the 2nd best CB on the board. My faith in Howie is low, but I think it's going to be hard for him to F this one up.

@Tom McAndrew what are your overall thoughts on the draft? Lots of linemen, but I don’t have a huge problem with overloading there. They are going to lose some line stalwarts in the next 2-3 years.
No question, OL is getting old and the interior DL is getting up there, too. That 3rd round DL is undersized for a DT, though. We shall see but I don’t feel real great about this group. Hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: WestSideLion
@Tom McAndrew what are your overall thoughts on the draft? Lots of linemen, but I don’t have a huge problem with overloading there. They are going to lose some line stalwarts in the next 2-3 years.

IMHO, it's a tough class to evaluate. Smith looks to be a potential star, but there is the nagging question about how durable he'll be in the NFL with his frame. Dickerson, if not for the injury issues, would not have been available in the 2nd round. Now you wonder if he'll be a future interior OL stud for the Birds, or if his 4 leg injuries are a sign of what his NFL career will be like. Williams has potential, but he's not a true 3-technique guy -- he's more a guy that will rush from the inside or line up on the outside and rush. Guys like that are usually nice niche players, but rarely stars.

You like to hit HRs with your picks in rounds 1 through 3, so I was disappointed that they gave up their other 3rd round pick to move up from 12 to 10 in the 1st round.

Zach McPherson is a decent CB. He seems like more of an inside cover guy than an outside CB. Kenny Galnwell is small (5' 8"). He might be a nice complement to Miles Sanders. Marion Tuipulotu is a pick I really questioned. He wasn't all that productive in college. Tarron Jackson had injury issues early on in college, but did well at the end of his career. Perhaps he'll be a backup DE. JaCoby Stevens is another question mark. Is he a safety or a LB? Patrick Johnson (R7) was their last pick, and seems like a OLB/DE hybrid.

If Smith proves durable in the NFL, he could be a huge plus for the Birds. And if Dickerson can stay healthy, he'll really be a nice addition to their OL, where they certainly need help (and some youth). Most draft evaluations I've read give the Birds high marks. As one of my earlier posts show (a tweet from Reuben Franks), it will take several years before we can give an accurate assessment on the 2021 Birds' draft. I just wish that most of their picks didn't have some type of caveat when evaluating them.

IMHO, it's a tough class to evaluate. Smith looks to be a potential star, but there is the nagging question about how durable he'll be in the NFL with his frame. Dickerson, if not for the injury issues, would not have been available in the 2nd round. Now you wonder if he'll be a future interior OL stud for the Birds, or if his 4 leg injuries are a sign of what his NFL career will be like. Williams has potential, but he's not a true 3-technique guy -- he's more a guy that will rush from the inside or line up on the outside and rush. Guys like that are usually nice niche players, but rarely stars.

You like to hit HRs with your picks in rounds 1 through 3, so I was disappointed that they gave up their other 3rd round pick to move up from 12 to 10 in the 1st round.

Zach McPherson is a decent CB. He seems like more of an inside cover guy than an outside CB. Kenny Galnwell is small (5' 8"). He might be a nice complement to Miles Sanders. Marion Tuipulotu is a pick I really questioned. He wasn't all that productive in college. Tarron Jackson had injury issues early on in college, but did well at the end of his career. Perhaps he'll be a backup DE. JaCoby Stevens is another question mark. Is he a safety or a LB? Patrick Johnson (R7) was their last pick, and seems like a OLB/DE hybrid.

If Smith proves durable in the NFL, he could be a huge plus for the Birds. And if Dickerson can stay healthy, he'll really be a nice addition to their OL, where they certainly need help (and some youth). Most draft evaluations I've read give the Birds high marks. As one of my earlier posts show (a tweet from Reuben Franks), it will take several years before we can give an accurate assessment on the 2021 Birds' draft. I just wish that most of their picks didn't have some type of caveat when evaluating them.
Nice assessment. Thanks. This draft is true to Howie’s form. He looks for some kind of analytical or value edge rather than just drafting proven production and guys who are likely to contribute without injury issues. I’m glad Howie isn’t managing my investment portfolio!

• Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew
No question, OL is getting old and the interior DL is getting up there, too. That 3rd round DL is undersized for a DT, though. We shall see but I don’t feel real great about this group. Hope I’m wrong.
See my response to Tom. I agree. Howie tries to be too smart with his drafts.

I remember everyone questioning the Brandon Graham pick years ago. It took him a couple yrs to get rolling...but IMO he's one of the top Eagles picks ever.

I remember everyone questioning the Brandon Graham pick years ago. It took him a couple yrs to get rolling...but IMO he's one of the top Eagles picks ever.
Graham is the reason there’s still hope for Derek Barnett. When you draft a DE at 10-15, you have to expect him to develop into a player as long as he stays healthy.

Graham is a no-doubt Eagles ring of honor inductee someday. But I wouldn’t put him in the franchise’s top 25 all time picks.

I think the first pick was a great one, and the Dickerson pick was a very good one. Aside from the injury, the man is the best center in college football and Kelsey’s replacement. Dickerson doesn’t have to have a stellar season this year for it to turn out to be a great pick. The Eagles are building longer term and with next years multiple high round picks, including perhaps a quarterback, the team will be positioned to make another run. So Dickerson fits in their long term plans in that regard. The biggest issue with the Eagles now is whether Hurts is good enough to make them a great team. But they still have a lot of holes to fill - TE, LB, and especially secondary. And they drafted a lot of linemen who can hopefully stay healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT