ADVERTISEMENT

Philadelphia Eagles 2021 Offseason Thread

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
Eagles sign Joe Flacco... Didn’t he win a Super Bowl

It’s also a sign that the Eagles wanted a veteran backup who will mentor Jalen Hurts. Although the Eagles haven’t definitively stated that Hurts is their starter for 2021, it seems likely that Hurts will start and Flacco will back him up.

Eagles sign Joe Flacco... Didn’t he win a Super Bowl

It’s also a sign that the Eagles wanted a veteran backup who will mentor Jalen Hurts. Although the Eagles haven’t definitively stated that Hurts is their starter for 2021, it seems likely that Hurts will start and Flacco will back him up.
I Ike this move....as you said....Joe will mentor Jalen Hurts and Joe should be an excellent veteran addition to the locker room as well.

This opens the door for the Eagles to draft either Pitts or one of the wide receivers with the #6 pick, unless they trade down. Pitts looks like an incredible athlete who would present match up nightmares for defenses when they run a two tight end scheme.

This opens the door for the Eagles to draft either Pitts or one of the wide receivers with the #6 pick, unless they trade down. Pitts looks like an incredible athlete who would present match up nightmares for defenses when they run a two tight end scheme.
I would hope they take JaMarr Chase from LSU....but I also had Illinois winning the NCAA so what the hell do I know!

I would hope they take JaMarr Chase from LSU....but I also had Illinois winning the NCAA so what the hell do I know!
If Sewell falls to #6, they draft him everyday and twice on Sunday. If Sewell is gone, they go WR. If Sewell and the top WRs are gone, then they look at Pitts or trade down because a QB or two will be available and trade bait.

If Sewell falls to #6, they draft him everyday and twice on Sunday. If Sewell is gone, they go WR. If Sewell and the top WRs are gone, then they look at Pitts or trade down because a QB or two will be available and trade bait.
Hmmm I don’t see them taking a OT at 6. They have 3 young ones that can play ( well 2 we know for sure and a 1st rounder) they need a WR w speed or a DE. We’ll see

Hmmm I don’t see them taking a OT at 6. They have 3 young ones that can play ( well 2 we know for sure and a 1st rounder) they need a WR w speed or a DE. We’ll see
Do they really? Mailata showed promise. I really hope he continues improving. Dillard is a total unknown in year 3. That's a big problem. Lane is 31 now, expensive and injury prone.

You build championships around bookend tackles. If Sewell is there, you take him. Period. That allows you to move Mailata to RT. You're not dependent on Dillard. Maybe you trade him or move him inside. You can then trade Johnson while he has real value. Some contender will want him and he sheds future salary.

Reactions: Nitt1300
Do they really? Mailata showed promise. I really hope he continues improving. Dillard is a total unknown in year 3. That's a big problem. Lane is 31 now, expensive and injury prone.

You build championships around bookend tackles. If Sewell is there, you take him. Period. That allows you to move Mailata to RT. You're not dependent on Dillard. Maybe you trade him or move him inside. You can then trade Johnson while he has real value. Some contender will want him and he sheds future salary.
I dont disagree with you about LJ, in fact I said they should trade him and BB as they both fit what you say. But imo, they need speed, lots more of it in fact. So at 6 you take a WR that can run. Or you take a DE that can play, but I dont know if there is one worthy of the 6 pick. there are no sure thing in the draft, see your thoughts on Dillard, who was supposed to be the next big thing.
Heck I would consider MP at 6, play him inside on 1st and 2nd, let him come off the edge on third down. At least he adds speed.

I dont disagree with you about LJ, in fact I said they should trade him and BB as they both fit what you say. But imo, they need speed, lots more of it in fact. So at 6 you take a WR that can run. Or you take a DE that can play, but I dont know if there is one worthy of the 6 pick. there are no sure thing in the draft, see your thoughts on Dillard, who was supposed to be the next big thing.
Heck I would consider MP at 6, play him inside on 1st and 2nd, let him come off the edge on third down. At least he adds speed.
Dillard was nowhere near the prospect Sewell is when drafted. That’s not a fair comparison.

This is all likely moot. Sewell will be gone by #6 unless some dumb teams do dumb things. I’d be thrilled with Chase or Smith in Eagles green. Thrilled.

I just know the positional value chart and a LT for a decade plus is the most valuable non-QB in the game.

Dillard was nowhere near the prospect Sewell is when drafted. That’s not a fair comparison.

This is all likely moot. Sewell will be gone by #6 unless some dumb teams do dumb things. I’d be thrilled with Chase or Smith in Eagles green. Thrilled.

I just know the positional value chart and a LT for a decade plus is the most valuable non-QB in the game.
I agree with you about LT, but I think Waltzing Matilda can do it at a high level. Maybe they should trade Dillard?
I didn't realize someone else had that idea as well...

Both moves are surprising, but particularly the release of Fisher, who the team drafted No. 1 overall in 2013 and was a cornerstone of the organization for the better part of a decade.

And the moves are also hugely important for Howie Roseman, who should be picking up the phone right now and calling Chiefs general manager Brett Veach to ask if Veach has some interest in a young offensive tackle who has a first-round pick pedigree.

Because the Chiefs are now the perfect trade partner for the Eagles if they want to unload Andre Dillard.

Last edited:
Reactions: WestSideLion
I agree with you about LT, but I think Waltzing Matilda can do it at a high level. Maybe they should trade Dillard?
I didn't realize someone else had that idea as well...

Both moves are surprising, but particularly the release of Fisher, who the team drafted No. 1 overall in 2013 and was a cornerstone of the organization for the better part of a decade.

And the moves are also hugely important for Howie Roseman, who should be picking up the phone right now and calling Chiefs general manager Brett Veach to ask if Veach has some interest in a young offensive tackle who has a first-round pick pedigree.

Because the Chiefs are now the perfect trade partner for the Eagles if they want to unload Andre Dillard.
Yes, as long as Roseman doesn’t mind acknowledging yet another first round flop after Wentz, Agholor and Barnett. Tensions are high right now.

Yes, as long as Roseman doesn’t mind acknowledging yet another first round flop after Wentz, Agholor and Barnett. Tensions are high right now.
Thats all? Why was I thinking there could be more!
have u forgotten Marcus Smith? Louisville DE. Of r we hanging that one on Chip..?

Trading down and maybe getting 2 picks would be pretty tempting. You could pick up Pitts or MIcah Parsons at 7 through 10, and an OL and receiver with your next highest picks. If Sewell is available, it’s very tempting. They really need a healthy OL who can stay on the field, and provide good protection. I don’t trust their current players to avoid injuries. Maybe there are other OLs who could help further down in the draft but I don’t follow it closely enough to suggest any.

Thats all? Why was I thinking there could be more!
have u forgotten Marcus Smith? Louisville DE. Of r we hanging that one on Chip..?
Well Reagor is teetering. The fact that they are up against it with regard to taking a WR at #6 speaks volumes. Think about what it says in having to draft a WR in the first round the year after taking another in the first. This is Detroit Lions under Matt Millen territory.

Well Reagor is teetering. The fact that they are up against it with regard to taking a WR at #6 speaks volumes. Think about what it says in having to draft a WR in the first round the year after taking another in the first. This is Detroit Lions under Matt Millen territory.
Let alone one in the second round 2 yrs prior. 3 names. whiteside?? From Stanford

If Lance makes it to 6, I’m hoping they make a sweet trade out. If 4 QBs are taken 1-5, Pitts is the right play. (I think this will happen)
Pitts is a good pick later than #6. I just think that unless you’re getting Kelce or Kittle (and even then), that’s high for a TE.

Follow the contract dollars. That tells you the positional value. QB, LT, DE/Edge, CB, WR. You have to pick from that positional pool that high in the draft, unless there’s a generational guy. Maybe that is Pitts.

I think we can all agree...that whomever they pick
Yes… that in itself tells me they will F this up as well.

• Haha
Eagles trading down. Interesting.

I don't like it. That price seems "cheap" for Miami to move up 6 spots, especially considering what they just got from SF to trade down from #3. That Dolphins pick won't be great in 2022, barring a Tua or some other disaster injury.

I see Howie trading out of the top tier of prospects. Given his poor draft history, he needs to pick from that top tier.

Reactions: sluggo72
I don't like it. That price seems "cheap" for Miami to move up 6 spots, especially considering what they just got from SF to trade down from #3. That Dolphins pick won't be great in 2022, barring a Tua or some other disaster injury.

I see Howie trading out of the top tier of prospects. Given his poor draft history, he needs to pick from that top tier.

Good points, however it seems the Dolphins had multiple 2022 first round picks. Maybe they traded one they received from elsewhere.

Can the Eagles get Micah Parsons now with their #12? If so, I’m ok with it. I’m also reading that Jalen Waddle, WR from Alabama, will be their pick. He’s slightly undersized but a speedster.

Last edited:
The Eagles are coming off a rough season, but no team is better suited to reload in the draft of the next two years.
In the 2021 NFL draft, the Eagles have 11 picks, the most of any NFL team. They have at least one pick in every round, and thanks to trades and compensatory picks they have two third-round picks, three sixth-round picks and two seventh-round picks.
But they’re in even better shape in the 2022 NFL draft: In addition to having all their own picks, the Eagles just acquired the Dolphins’ 2022 first-round pick by trading down from No. 6 to No. 12 this year, and they’ll have either the Colts’ first-round pick or second-round pick, depending on conditions that rest on Carson Wentz‘s playing time and whether the Colts make the playoffs.
That puts the Eagles in great shape to surround Jalen Hurts with an influx of young talent in this year’s draft, and then decide next year either to keep building around Hurts or use those extra picks to get a new quarterback. Either way, while 2020 season was a disappointment and there’s no guarantee of a 2021 turnaround, the long-term future looks bright in Philadelphia.

The Eagles are coming off a rough season, but no team is better suited to reload in the draft of the next two years.
In the 2021 NFL draft, the Eagles have 11 picks, the most of any NFL team. They have at least one pick in every round, and thanks to trades and compensatory picks they have two third-round picks, three sixth-round picks and two seventh-round picks.
But they’re in even better shape in the 2022 NFL draft: In addition to having all their own picks, the Eagles just acquired the Dolphins’ 2022 first-round pick by trading down from No. 6 to No. 12 this year, and they’ll have either the Colts’ first-round pick or second-round pick, depending on conditions that rest on Carson Wentz‘s playing time and whether the Colts make the playoffs.
That puts the Eagles in great shape to surround Jalen Hurts with an influx of young talent in this year’s draft, and then decide next year either to keep building around Hurts or use those extra picks to get a new quarterback. Either way, while 2020 season was a disappointment and there’s no guarantee of a 2021 turnaround, the long-term future looks bright in Philadelphia.

That kind of optimism will get you into trouble. 😳

Reactions: sluggo72
i'd feel pretty good with that if roseman wasn't the guy making the picks. he can't figure out how to manage slam dunk picks let alone 6th & 7th picks. takes a savvy guy to find talent that low. don't think he qualifies.

i'd feel pretty good with that if roseman wasn't the guy making the picks. he can't figure out how to manage slam dunk picks let alone 6th & 7th picks. takes a savvy guy to find talent that low. don't think he qualifies.
I don’t think many fans would fight you on those thoughts

Reactions: lockhavenlion3

Agree with the last sentence, but I think that is why he won't trade down any lower. The top 12 seems like a pretty good place to be. They should be able to get Horn or Waddle, which I think are solid picks. Considering how much heat Howie is under, I have a feeling he won't mess around the the first pick this year.

All bets are off after that though.

Agree with the last sentence, but I think that is why he won't trade down any lower. The top 12 seems like a pretty good place to be. They should be able to get Horn or Waddle, which I think are solid picks. Considering how much heat Howie is under, I have a feeling he won't mess around the the first pick this year.

All bets are off after that though.
I think he won’t have a great set of choices at 12. Waddle might be there. Horn doesn’t excite me. I see a lot of Howie selection risk at 12.

At 6, he’d have likely had his choice of any WR or Pitts. If Sewell wound up available (strong hints Burrow is lobbying for Chase in Cincy), he’d have hit the lotto.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT