ADVERTISEMENT

Philadelphia 76ers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I was looking at the other day. Potential for Kawhi and LeBron and keeping Fultz.
Saric and Covington to San Antonio. Then you need to get someone to take Bayless, TLC, and Anderson. Then all you need to do is cut Holmes. You could then get Reddick to take the exemption and come back. SuperTeam.

Roster:
Embiid, Simmons, Kawhi, LeBron, Reddick, Fultz, Smith, Shamet, Milton, Bolden, Korkmaz, McConnell
Would love that but don’t think it will happen.

Marc Stein of The New York Times:

But the Los Angeles Lakers and the Philadelphia 76ers have been pressing the Spurs to trade Leonard this week, as both teams believe that acquiring Leonard would put them in the pole position to try to sign LeBron James away from the Cleveland Cavaliers when free agency starts Sunday at 12:01 a.m., Eastern time.

Even without Leonard, the Lakers are already favored for LeBron (though the chances of acquiring Leonard are baked into the LeBron odds). Would the 76ers getting LeBron put them over the top? Maybe. I believe Los Angeles with Leonard would rate ahead of Philadelphia with Leonard – though obviously only one team will have Leonard.

This consideration separates the Lakers and 76ers from the Celtics, who aren’t diving headfirst into the Leonard sweepstakes. Boston wouldn’t get the same trickle-down effects from acquiring Leonard. Getting Leonard could be worthwhile on its own, but the LeBron factor could cause Los Angeles and Philadelphia to assemble stronger trade packages than Boston would.

Gilbert is a f*cking clown

[Stephen A]: Dan Gilbert "doesn't care" if LeBron leaves, would be happy to "get his team back" should he decide to leave

Stephen A just said on First Take that a direct quote from Gilbert is that he would be happy to get his team back should LeBron decide to leave, and that he doesn't care either way if LeBron stays or not

[Vardon] On LeBron's free agency: Sources suggested to cleveland.com that his interest in joining the iconic Los Angeles Lakers is strong.

You'd have to think if Lebron goes to the Lakers without them having to trade for Kawhi, that puts the Sixers in the pole position to get Kawhi since Ainge just came out and said it was unlikely they would trade for a star.

Man, give me 27 year old Kawhi every day over 34 year old Lebron. Easy.

Reactions: bmw199
[Vardon] On LeBron's free agency: Sources suggested to cleveland.com that his interest in joining the iconic Los Angeles Lakers is strong.

You'd have to think if Lebron goes to the Lakers without them having to trade for Kawhi, that puts the Sixers in the pole position to get Kawhi since Ainge just came out and said it was unlikely they would trade for a star.

Many people believe the Lakers trade all of their assets to acquire LeBron, Kawhi and get CP3 as well.

Could be scary.

so far, just as I predicted. SA doesn't want KL in the west so the sixers are perfect but KL also only has one year left. Does he want to play in Philly long term? James is down to LA and CLE. But, unless LA can get KL, why play in LA with a team inferior to CLE? he'll not make it to the NBA finals in the West unless the LAL make major surgery beyond James.

Scary old. Bron and CP3 are in decline or will be soon.

Not sure what NBA you've watched lately, but LeBron has only gotten better with age. I dont expect him to decline anytime soon. Maybe in 4-5 years, but I wouldnt even bet on that. He'll be playing with his son then.

Not sure what NBA you've watched lately, but LeBron has only gotten better with age. I dont expect him to decline anytime soon. Maybe in 4-5 years, but I wouldnt even bet on that. He'll be playing with his son then.
I love James but I've noticed superstars don't decline in capability in their late 30's but become susceptible to injuries. This is true of Bird, Kareem, Montana, Jordan, Ken Griffy Jr....they could all still play with anyone but couldn't stay on the field. It is very rare to see an NBA player play substantial minutes after the age of 35. Some have come off the bench and given production in a limited role, but rarely does someone deserve $20m+ per season.

It will be interesting to see where James goes and what he does. His opting out is no surprise. I've heard some say he is seeking a 4 year max contract instead of his one and ones since leaving Miami. He's simply not going to win a championship in LA unless he gets very, very lucky (injuries to GSW). And I don't think SA will trade KL to LAL, especially since the sixers have so many more assets to trade.

And I don't think SA will trade KL to LAL, especially since the sixers have so many more assets to trade.

I agree with what you're saying but does the Sixers really have that many more assets? Kuzma, Ingram, Lonzo, Randle.

If the Lakers want to win now, they will dump all of their rising stars IMO. It's going to be interesting regardless, I'm looking forward to it.

I hope my Sixers do something, but I dont want to get rid of too much either.

I agree with what you're saying but does the Sixers really have that many more assets? Kuzma, Ingram, Lonzo, Randle.

If the Lakers want to win now, they will dump all of their rising stars IMO. It's going to be interesting regardless, I'm looking forward to it.

I hope my Sixers do something, but I dont want to get rid of too much either.

totally agree. it takes two to tango so a lot depends on what LAL and the Sixers are willing to give up. And with KL, since he only has one year left on his contract, is he willing to commit or is this a one-year deal? Big difference.

I still think it is 50/50 James stays in CLE.

Reactions: Kmase21

Especially if LeBron is in the other conference

Obiviax, you aren't putting any stock in that tweet?
There was no way James was going to opt into the contract. First, the cap went up so that even if he re-signs with CLE, will make more money. And, he is still the best player in the NBA. In the end, where can he compete with GSW to win a championship? Unless the lakers can swing a trade to get KL and a couple of other assets, it isn't LA. Sixers? Very young and inexperienced in the NBA playoffs, plus what assets would they have to give up? James will be 34 next year with a lot of miles under those tires. Would James still want a one-year contract and would that be acceptable to the Sixers? And the Sixers don't do anything for his post NBA career. With the Lakers, he is in LA and in the heart of the entertainment industry. In CLE, he sustains the life he's carved out for his wife and kids.

To me, it comes down to LA (to position himself for post NBA career) or CLE (where he is comfortable and his legacy secured). Or, if some team pulls off a major coup by gaining substantial assets with a realistic shot at competing with GSW but I don't see that team. I am told that the SAS are talking to KL to try and get him to stay if they can get James somehow.

I've watched a lot of NBA over the years. Lebron is turning 34 this year. Guys in their mid to late 40's can't continue to play like they are in their 20's. Hence the word "decline" I used to describe his game in coming years.

If he goes to a team with young, upcoming stars, he doesn't have to be the focus all season. He can hold back and they put it all out during the playoffs. If the Lakers trade away all of those players to get Lenard and then sign Lebron and CP3, they won't be able to coast into the playoffs. It would be an old roster.

There was no way James was going to opt into the contract. First, the cap went up so that even if he re-signs with CLE, will make more money. And, he is still the best player in the NBA. In the end, where can he compete with GSW to win a championship? Unless the lakers can swing a trade to get KL and a couple of other assets, it isn't LA. Sixers? Very young and inexperienced in the NBA playoffs, plus what assets would they have to give up? James will be 34 next year with a lot of miles under those tires. Would James still want a one-year contract and would that be acceptable to the Sixers? And the Sixers don't do anything for his post NBA career. With the Lakers, he is in LA and in the heart of the entertainment industry. In CLE, he sustains the life he's carved out for his wife and kids.

To me, it comes down to LA (to position himself for post NBA career) or CLE (where he is comfortable and his legacy secured). Or, if some team pulls off a major coup by gaining substantial assets with a realistic shot at competing with GSW but I don't see that team. I am told that the SAS are talking to KL to try and get him to stay if they can get James somehow.

And what about this report about the Cavs owner?

He doesn’t mind the thought of LeBron James leaving at all. As a matter of fact, I had one executive tell me ‘Excuse me, I can’t wait until he leaves because I’ll get my team back.’ This is something that Dan Gilbert has actually echoed, so we got to take that into consideration. This is a person that views themself as being stuck with LeBron James, as opposed to somebody salivating and craving that he stays.

And what about this report about the Cavs owner?

He doesn’t mind the thought of LeBron James leaving at all. As a matter of fact, I had one executive tell me ‘Excuse me, I can’t wait until he leaves because I’ll get my team back.’ This is something that Dan Gilbert has actually echoed, so we got to take that into consideration. This is a person that views themself as being stuck with LeBron James, as opposed to somebody salivating and craving that he stays.
I don't believe the press not one but. I think he said if James leaves life goes on. Steven a wanted that to create clicks

Spurs are in a lousy spot. Their best partner is LA but if you take Ingram and Kuzma and picks, it makes LA less attractive in basketball terms to people going there. Spurs certainly want Boston to get in but Ainge seems reluctant (which means Ainge is simply biding time). So Spurs might have boxed themselves in a bit if they are true to their word of preference to where Kawhi goes, meaning East.

The best thing would be for all the major pieces to simply take +1 deals and then all go back to being unrestricted next year. But there is huge financial risk, not to mention that Kawhi and SA seem to have reached the point of never going back. At the worst, PG 13 and LeBron go to LA, Kawhi gets offloaded and then plays out the year in Philly and decides where he wants to go next year. LA gets to keep its pieces in tact and set itself up for a run at GS the following year (especially if one of the pieces wants out in GS for any reason) if they can manage the money somehow.

My prediction is that Ainge is playing possum and the Spurs go to Philly and Boston and say give us your best deal with Leonard going to either of these teams.

Spurs are in a lousy spot. Their best partner is LA but if you take Ingram and Kuzma and picks, it makes LA less attractive in basketball terms to people going there. Spurs certainly want Boston to get in but Ainge seems reluctant (which means Ainge is simply biding time). So Spurs might have boxed themselves in a bit if they are true to their word of preference to where Kawhi goes, meaning East.

The best thing would be for all the major pieces to simply take +1 deals and then all go back to being unrestricted next year. But there is huge financial risk, not to mention that Kawhi and SA seem to have reached the point of never going back. At the worst, PG 13 and LeBron go to LA, Kawhi gets offloaded and then plays out the year in Philly and decides where he wants to go next year. LA gets to keep its pieces in tact and set itself up for a run at GS the following year (especially if one of the pieces wants out in GS for any reason) if they can manage the money somehow.

My prediction is that Ainge is playing possum and the Spurs go to Philly and Boston and say give us your best deal with Leonard going to either of these teams.
Can the Lakers afford to sign PG13 and Lebron this year and then Leonard next year?

I thought the reason they’d make the trade now is the ability to “resign” Leonard next year as their own player and salary cap rules. You can go over to sign your own players while paying the tax, but the rules are different for going over to sign free agents, no?

Can the Lakers afford to sign PG13 and Lebron this year and then Leonard next year?

I thought the reason they’d make the trade now is the ability to “resign” Leonard next year as their own player and salary cap rules. You can go over to sign your own players while paying the tax, but the rules are different for going over to sign free agents, no?

It’s all way too complicated for me, but these guys can make salary work it seems. They have to do some managing just to get both pieces THIS year so I’m sure there would be challenges next year as well.

Don't ask Tailgate any questions like he's some expert. 10 months ago he was calling the Sixers a garbage franchise who would never be good. He doesn't know a damn thing.

Looks like we're getting close to jersey burning time again.....

Sources: LeBron James has no plans to meet in person with Cavaliers when free agency opens

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...valiers-meet-person-opening-hours-free-agency

giphy.gif

I keep seeing this blind overhype of laker assets. The lakers have a bunch of mediocre non-winning non-star-potential talent. Saric and Covington and Miami 2021 are all individually better than any asset of the lakers. If Kawhi goes to LA it’s because the sixers chose not to take the risk.

If you’re lebron, and winning matters, and if Kawhi ends up in philly, you go to philly. That simple. That prospective lineup of 4 stars would beat golden state.

In LA, he won’t be contending unless they get 2 of Kawhi, Durant (who Has quietly not exercised his player option yet), and PG. Even then, if it’s just Kawhi or just PG he’s not contending. Kawhi or lebron individually on the sixers will at the minimum be in the ECF.

It’s actually starting to bother me how on the nuts of the lakers the media is right now. They so badly want the lakers to be relevant.

I keep seeing this blind overhype of laker assets. The lakers have a bunch of mediocre non-winning non-star-potential talent. Saric and Covington and Miami 2021 are all individually better than any asset of the lakers. If Kawhi goes to LA it’s because the sixers chose not to take the risk.

If you’re lebron, and winning matters, and if Kawhi ends up in philly, you go to philly. That simple. That prospective lineup of 4 stars would beat golden state.

In LA, he won’t be contending unless they get 2 of Kawhi, Durant (who Has quietly not exercised his player option yet), and PG. Even then, if it’s just Kawhi or just PG he’s not contending. Kawhi or lebron individually on the sixers will at the minimum be in the ECF.

It’s actually starting to bother me how on the nuts of the lakers the media is right now. They so badly want the lakers to be relevant.

The lakers talent is significantly younger than Philly (Ball/Ingram are 20 w/ Kuzma only 23). SA is not going to win it all in the next 2-3 years. Covington will be 30+ before SA is likely back in a position to truly compete. Give me the LA assets every day of the week. As a Lakers fan I hope they dont trade all that for Kawhi.

The lakers talent is significantly younger than Philly (Ball/Ingram are 20 w/ Kuzma only 23). SA is not going to win it all in the next 2-3 years. Covington will be 30+ before SA is likely back in a position to truly compete. Give me the LA assets every day of the week. As a Lakers fan I hope they dont trade all that for Kawhi.
Well that explains it...

Reactions: NJPSU and colt21
My son is only 5. Does that mean he's a better asset in a potential trade? ;)

And using your logic, that 2021 unprotected Heat first rounder is pure gold in what will likely be a loaded draft.

Don't ask Tailgate any questions like he's some expert. 10 months ago he was calling the Sixers a garbage franchise who would never be good. He doesn't know a damn thing.

Yeah, Clown. Less then that long ago you were saying Parsons wasn’t even being recruited by Penn State. JO.

For the record, I stand by EVERYTHING I said about this organization. They continued to draft bigs year after year when the game had changed with them being the last team to figure it out which was and is my central point. They didn’t want Embiid, he fell to them because of injury risk and the fact that two teams passed on him before them. If he was healthy, they would have Wiggins right now. He remains a huge injury risk and will be the first big to have the issues he has who plays without it costing him his career. They took the clear best player in Simmons, which I applauded. They traded big pieces of The Process for diddly squat. Then they got fleeced by Ainge in dealing a valuable asset for the player they would have gotten at 3. Their handling of Fultz has been questionable at best with league officials saying that Fultz was readily available on draft night for deals. Most recently their GM became a laughingstock of the league and hit the wall head on going 200mph.

I’ll stick with what learned NBA insiders say rather than you. Boston engaged in The Process and built a much better team without holding a city hostage taking their money for 5 years.

Sports knowledge, I’ll take mine all day every day versus someone who is obsessed with Twitter Accounts of 17 and 18 year olds and still managed to shank their kick far right on arguably Penn State’s highest rated recruit in a decade plus. Even with your national obsession on Twitter following, you still managed to screw the pooch. You’re nothing.

For the record, I stand by EVERYTHING I said about this organization. They continued to draft bigs year after year when the game had changed with them being the last team to figure it out which was and is my central point. They didn’t want Embiid, he fell to them because of injury risk and the fact that two teams passed on him before them. If he was healthy, they would have Wiggins right now. He remains a huge injury risk and will be the first big to have the issues he has who plays without it costing him his career. They took the clear best player in Simmons, which I applauded. They traded big pieces of The Process for diddly squat. Then they got fleeced by Ainge in dealing a valuable asset for the player they would have gotten at 3. Their handling of Fultz has been questionable at best with league officials saying that Fultz was readily available on draft night for deals. Most recently their GM became a laughingstock of the league and hit the wall head on going 200mph.

I’ll stick with what learned NBA insiders say rather than you. Boston engaged in The Process and built a much better team without holding a city hostage taking their money for 5 years.

Sports knowledge, I’ll take mine all day every day versus someone who is obsessed with Twitter Accounts of 17 and 18 year olds and still managed to shank their kick far right on arguably Penn State’s highest rated recruit in a decade plus. Even with your national obsession on Twitter following, you still managed to screw the pooch. You’re nothing.

In fairness, Boston didn’t engage in The Process. They traded two aging stars for the biggest fleecing in NBA history. That’s not The Process. It’s getting an offer too good to refuse and accelerating a rebuild.

Reactions: jrs1024
In fairness, Boston didn’t engage in The Process. They traded two aging stars for the biggest fleecing in NBA history. That’s not The Process. It’s getting an offer too good to refuse and accelerating a rebuild.

Fair enough but it’s hard to deny that both teams decided to reshape their teams and went about it in whatever path it took them. One team decided to lose on purpose for years as a means to achieve their objective, the other team robbed the bank but remained reasonably competitive throughout while building a formidable roster and banking a warchest of future assets. You get what I’m saying and I understand what you’re saying as well.

Can’t we just go back to losing 50 games a year so everyone can be happy

The “garbage franchise” won 52 games and are just getting started, old timer. Go practice your underhand free throws on the peach basket in your driveway.

Reactions: Delco Lion
Belinelli to the Spurs, Ilyasova to the Bucks and George staying in OKC. Trevor Ariza who was a Sixers target signed with Phoenix. Sixers pushing hard for Knicks back up center Kyle O'Quinn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT