ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Steele podcast

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
Mostly stuff you've heard before, but I thought it was interesting -- he rates the QB position at PSU #1 in the country with McSorley and Stevens.Thinks they're in good shape at RB with Sanders, Slade and Allen. Didn't overhype the OL but notes that Franklin thinks it will be much improved.

The downside -- Repeatedly mentioned PSU is losing 7 of 8 top tacklers on D, and the questions at DT. That's the reason PSU won't win the B1G. Thinks LB is going to be fluid for a while as they figure out who the starters are. Thinks the D is going to have "growing pains" early in the season. (which I read to mean: Pitt could be a tough game)

Last edited:
CAUTION: HOT TAKE AHEAD

he rates the QB position at PSU #1 in the country with McSorley and Stevens.

First let me say that I love Tommy Stevens, but my hot take is that Sean Clifford is the starter in 2019.

First let me say that I love Tommy Stevens, but my hot take is that Sean Clifford is the starter in 2019.

I think we know that in James Franklin's program, seniors don't play because they're seniors. But (being a Tommy Stevens fan too) I would probably bet on Stevens to win based on experience, leadership, toughness and running ability.

My only question about Stevens is how consistently can he throw the ball and make the right decisions. And he hasn't been on the field enough for us to know the answer. He's not going to be accurate like Trace McSorley (almost nobody is) but his overall package of skills is pretty compelling -- he's amazingly fast for a 6-4 QB. QB is just one of those positions you can't know about until someone is in pressure game situations.

If Clifford impresses that much, it'll be awfully interesting to see how Franklin values loyalty and patience. Stevens is hanging around for a reason and it's not just because he loves Penn State. He must believe he's going to get the keys to the 2019 offense. With McSorley running so much, the backup is always one play away. Trace has been incredibly and surprisingly durable despite some taking some big time hits the last couple years.

I'm having trouble seeing our defense taking a huge step back. We lost guys in the secondary to the NFL but will have John Reid back along with second team all big ten Amani Oruwariye. I expect Castro-Fields and Lamont Wade to make a jump after getting a lot of playing time last year. McPhearson and Taylor look like they're ready to contribute as well. Of the guys we lost on the d-line and at linebacker, not one was drafted. So how much did we really lose? Last year's defense was 7th in the country in scoring defense. The d-line should be as good or better and the linebacker play hasn't been that good the last couple years. We'll have a couple experienced linebackers along with some young, very talented guys. Last year's d probably overachieved and some of that was scheme and some of that was probably quality of offenses we faced. This year's d should be more talented overall and could be lights out good the second half of the season. Add in how well Gillikin has punted and how our special teams has improved in giving other teams long fields and we're set up to have all 3 phases be strengths.

Schedule sets up well too for an inexperienced group. Get OSU and MSU earlier at home and go to Michigan in November after the team has grown up some. Having Wisconsin the week after Michigan will be tough physically but we'll cross that bridge in November.

I think we know that in James Franklin's program, seniors don't play because they're seniors. But (being a Tommy Stevens fan too) I would probably bet on Stevens to win based on experience, leadership, toughness and running ability.

My only question about Stevens is how consistently can he throw the ball and make the right decisions. And he hasn't been on the field enough for us to know the answer. He's not going to be accurate like Trace McSorley (almost nobody is) but his overall package of skills may be compelling.

I agree, and I think he will be the best QB on the roster next year and I still think Sean Clifford will be the starter. It's a hot take for a reason, so I'll give my reasoning.

DISCLAIMER: HOT TAKES ARE OFTEN TIMES VERY WRONG

I don't think Tommy Stevens will be so much better than Sean Clifford that starting Clifford would mean the difference in any of the games. I still think we'd win the same amount of games with either. So, it comes down to starting Stevens for a year and losing out on having Clifford as a potential three year starter. What I do think is that how good Clifford would be in this third year as a starter could outweigh not being quite as good in 2019 (but still winning the same amount of games). I think we're going to see how good a QB can be in their third year as a starter in this program this year with Trace. I think we'll look back after this season and realize how much you progress by being the guy from one year to the next and be grateful that Trace started when he did.

Again, this is the very definition of a hot take. It's wild speculation and I could be very wrong. And I hope I am wrong, because I honestly want to see what a 5th year senior Tommy Stevens can do as the starter.

They'd better be damned sure about Clifford, and his potential backup, if they pull that. In my own hot take, I'd say that if Stevens isn't firmly established as the starter coming out of the spring, then he's gone.

I think the coaches would understand that too. He presumably wants a shot at the NFL. Last thing he needs is a 5th year as a backup. Hopefully he gets enough opportunities this fall to show what he can do -- at PSU or at another school he would transfer to.

Mostly stuff you've heard before, but I thought it was interesting -- he rates the QB position at PSU #1 in the country with McSorley and Stevens.Thinks they're in good shape at RB with Sanders, Slade and Allen. Didn't overhype the OL but notes that Franklin thinks it will be much improved.

The downside -- Repeatedly mentioned PSU is losing 7 of 8 top tacklers on D, and the questions at DT. That's the reason PSU won't win the B1G. Thinks LB is going to be fluid for a while as they figure out who the starters are. Thinks the D is going to have "growing pains" early in the season. (which I read to mean: Pitt could be a tough game)

Defense has four games to get their act together, and we play TOSU at home which should help, but he makes some fair points.

I know you can't read much into the Blue White game but I will say this, Tommy Steven's BW performance in 2017 was much more impressive than Sean Clifford's BW performance in 2018.

My only question about Stevens is how consistently can he throw the ball and make the right decisions. And he hasn't been on the field enough for us to know the answer. He's not going to be accurate like Trace McSorley (almost nobody is) but his overall package of skills may be compelling.

I agree, and I think he will be the best QB on the roster next year and I still think Sean Clifford will be the starter. It's a hot take for a reason, so I'll give my reasoning.

DISCLAIMER: HOT TAKES ARE OFTEN TIMES VERY WRONG

I don't think Tommy Stevens will be so much better than Sean Clifford that starting Clifford would mean the difference in any of the games. I still think we'd win the same amount of games with either. So, it comes down to starting Stevens for a year and losing out on having Clifford as a potential three year starter. What I do think is that how good Clifford would be in this third year as a starter could outweigh not being quite as good in 2019 (but still winning the same amount of games). I think we're going to see how good a QB can be in their third year as a starter in this program this year with Trace. I think we'll look back after this season and realize how much you progress by being the guy from one year to the next and be grateful that Trace started when he did.

Again, this is the very definition of a hot take. It's wild speculation and I could be very wrong. And I hope I am wrong, because I honestly want to see what a 5th year senior Tommy Stevens can do as the starter.

Kudos to you for going out on a limb with an opinion / projection and sticking to it.

With that being said we have seen 3rd year starters regress and just recently. Cough Hack cough. Not to rehash that though.

I think coaches have to walk a fine line between “doing what’s best now to win and doing whats going to help us win down the line”. By their nature though Coaches are i have to win now and sort out 2019, 2020 out when we get there. With that in mind i would see 2019 being an open competition and if it turns out to be Stevens then I think they will find a way to get Clifford reps. If it turns out to be Clifford then they will try to continue to use Stevens in the Lion position. Of course when they make that decision is important too. Spring time maybe Stevens leaves before the fall. Fall Camp who knows.

I hope and want the coaches to do what’s best for the teams that year to win. Hopefully we are done with building for the future and now Reloading each and every year. If Clifford gives us the best chance to win in 2019, Great! Go with him. If Stevens does, awesome go with him.

Increasingly, at position after position, we can be confident not because we can predict the future about any particular player, but because there is depth and competition.

TE is a total question mark, but there are three experienced TEs and two Top 10 prospects coming in as true freshmen. Chances are, out of those 5 guys, someone will be pretty good.

Safety -- we don't know who will be the starters, but whoever wins the spots will have to be good football players because they will have to win the jobs. Same with LBer -- between the redshirt frosh, Parsons and Luketa, chances are good that we will see some young LB (and maybe two) play really well this year.

D tackle is IMHO the biggest potential weakness on the team, but at least there are a lot of promising young D-tackles -- they just need seasoning.

Reactions: indynittany
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT