ADVERTISEMENT

Pens and Flyers: hot, Hot, HOT!

TheGLOV

Gold Member
Great time of the year to be an ice-hockey fan!

Can Philly become the new city of champions??

Can the Pens win it all for a third time?

Ohhhhhhh, the suspense!!

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2017/wildcard

Pens now off for five days.

Caps have two games scheduled.

Philly plays Tuesday and Thursday and both games, IMO, are very winnable for the Flyers.

Pens back in action Friday against the young Carolina Hurricanes.

Do board members still want to trade Letang?

Letang is awful...even Mark Madden who loves him has acknowledged that while his play has improved he's still making far too many mistakes
And the Pens won a Cup without him last year
Letang simply isn't worth the money. The Pens are better with Schultz on the powerplay as well.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Letang is awful...even Mark Madden who loves him has acknowledged that while his play has improved he's still making far too many mistakes
And the Pens won a Cup without him last year
Letang simply isn't worth the money. The Pens are better with Schultz on the powerplay as well.
I guess that is a yes.

I've watched the past 4 games and Letang has been the best defenseman on the ice. He still has the ability to play in the offensive zone and get back on defense. I love the argument that they won last year without him. Well, the Patriots won without Gronk, so they should get rid of him.

His +/- has improved and he is 11th in d-man scoring and he he leads the team in playing time by whopping 5 minutes per game. He even made the all-star game.

Another team would grab him in a heartbeat if the Pens were stupid enough to trade him. I'm guessing that Rutherford and Sullivan agree with me.

I guess that is a yes.

I've watched the past 4 games and Letang has been the best defenseman on the ice. He still has the ability to play in the offensive zone and get back on defense. I love the argument that they won last year without him. Well, the Patriots won without Gronk, so they should get rid of him.

His +/- has improved and he is 11th in d-man scoring and he he leads the team in playing time by whopping 5 minutes per game. He even made the all-star game.

Another team would grab him in a heartbeat if the Pens were stupid enough to trade him. I'm guessing that Rutherford and Sullivan agree with me.

Letang making the All Star game proves just how big of a joke the All Star is. Absolutely no one is taking on his contract with his injury history and stroke history.

Yes, Letang is a +8 in his last 4 games. That brought him up to a plus 3 for the month and is greatly inflated by a game against Ottawa. Against the Kings he was solely responsible for the only goal they registered. He was caught of out of position countless times against CBJ but Jarry saved him. The turnovers in his own end are frightening.

This is all without even getting into the salary which very few defenseman are worth and definitely not Kris Letang. You're probably one of those people that don't comprehend why real hockey fans and knowledgeable people believe Maata's been their best defenseman this year. You'll probably say that he's too slow.

I think Rutherford would love nothing more than to move him to have cap space but understand the impossible task that is. Hell, Ottawa is having trouble moving Karlsson because defensemen in that mold simply aren't as highly sought in this era.

Mentioning Letang and Gronk is the same subject is laughable. It's even worse if you look at how much time the actually missed during the title run.

If Letang went out for the rest of the season tomorrow the Pens wouldn't miss a beat...and would actually be better as they'd have that money to spend at the deadline.

Letang making the All Star game proves just how big of a joke the All Star is. Absolutely no one is taking on his contract with his injury history and stroke history.

Yes, Letang is a +8 in his last 4 games. That brought him up to a plus 3 for the month and is greatly inflated by a game against Ottawa. Against the Kings he was solely responsible for the only goal they registered. He was caught of out of position countless times against CBJ but Jarry saved him. The turnovers in his own end are frightening.

This is all without even getting into the salary which very few defenseman are worth and definitely not Kris Letang. You're probably one of those people that don't comprehend why real hockey fans and knowledgeable people believe Maata's been their best defenseman this year. You'll probably say that he's too slow.

I think Rutherford would love nothing more than to move him to have cap space but understand the impossible task that is. Hell, Ottawa is having trouble moving Karlsson because defensemen in that mold simply aren't as highly sought in this era.

Mentioning Letang and Gronk is the same subject is laughable. It's even worse if you look at how much time the actually missed during the title run.

If Letang went out for the rest of the season tomorrow the Pens wouldn't miss a beat...and would actually be better as they'd have that money to spend at the deadline.

What's also interesting is that US Pens fans' know the straight-dope on LeTang, then the other teams head-scouts and GM's know of his problems as well.

It comes down to finding a GM that is willing to take a chance on him and offering the Pens the most value and trading LeTang and upsetting current team chemistry.

And then there is his no/limited trade clause and salary.

When you are one of Mario's boys' you get paid very well and have built in protection.

Ha ha. I played hockey for 13 years. You?

In the NHL puck moving defensemen are always a premium, especially with the emphasis on time of possession.

Last edited:

In the NHL puck moving defensemen are always a premium, especially with the emphasis on time of possession.

Impressive that you could play so long and have opinions that do not match recent actual history. All that ice time he "takes up", but yet he was not missed at all during the Pens run to another cup last year.....

Playing, and knowing the game are two different things, obviously. In any sport.

Last edited:

I played JR hockey in Canada (BCHL) so, yeah, I know a little bit about hockey. Letang's medical history, inability to avoid injury and that horrid contract will make him very difficult to move without taking on another bad contract. The majority of people that played hockey don't like Letang. Letang at 7.25M isn't worth the money...especially not when he's 34 and still under that contract. Re-watch the 2017 Stanley Cup playoffs...that's the best we've ever played defensively in the Crosby/Malkin era. You get me Letang at 4.5-5M signed through 2020 instead of 2022 and I wouldn't want him shipped. Doumolin & Maata combined barely make 8.183M through the end of Letang's contract. Both are far more valuable.

I played JR hockey in Canada (BCHL) so, yeah, I know a little bit about hockey. Letang's medical history, inability to avoid injury and that horrid contract will make him very difficult to move without taking on another bad contract. The majority of people that played hockey don't like Letang. Letang at 7.25M isn't worth the money...especially not when he's 34 and still under that contract. Re-watch the 2017 Stanley Cup playoffs...that's the best we've ever played defensively in the Crosby/Malkin era. You get me Letang at 4.5-5M signed through 2020 instead of 2022 and I wouldn't want him shipped. Doumolin & Maata combined barely make 8.183M through the end of Letang's contract. Both are far more valuable.
Well we are just going to have to disagree, but it is moot. I will be shocked if he is traded. By the way 34 is not old for a defenseman and certainly 30 isn't. I will agree that the hasn't been worth 7.5 M this year, but you can go through the league and find a lot of players that aren't worth their contracts. You can in any sport. That is a risk with long-term contracts, but at the time it was a good contract.

The BCHL is in a good league. You were a much better player than me.

Last edited:
Well we are just going to have to disagree, but it is moot. I will be shocked if he is traded. By the way 34 is not old for a defenseman and certainly 30 isn't. I will agree that the hasn't been worth 7.5 M this year, but you can go through the league and find a lot of players that aren't worth their contracts. You can in any sport. That is a risk with long-term contracts, but at the time it was a good contract. I'm not sure how you can blame a player for injuries. A lot of that is bad luck and the nature of the game.

The BCHL is in a good league. You were a much better player than me.

I'd be shocked if he was traded as well...just for different reasons. And, you're right, long term contracts are risk/reward. I didn't like the contract when it was signed and I like it even less now but, yes, we had no way of knowing certain things would happen. Part of what makes Letang a great playmaker (which he is) is also what has caused him to take countless unnecessary hits over the years leading to injuries. He holds onto the puck as long as possible (sometimes too long) which creates great opportunities--for both teams. I think our major difference is I judge a player's worth by performance in comparison to what he's getting paid. I can't overlook the 7.5M. It's killing us with the cap.

Yeah, the BCHL is a very good league. That was my ceiling though. I didn't have the size to play at another level--or really the skill lol.

They just acquired Mrazek from the Redwings for future picks.
Very good move, IMO. The Flyers just had both of their goalies get hurt, and they’ll be hurt for a few more weeks. The draft picks sent back to Detroit are heavily conditioned; the one pick is a fourth round pick and escalates to a third if Mzarik wins a couple games and the Flyers make the playoffs, and then a second if the Flyers make the Eastern Conference Final (which would obviously be great). The second pick only comes into play if the Flyers resign him, and they have plenty of time to see what they think of him before then.

I’m much more excited about Oskar Lindblom being called up. He should have made the team out of training camp, and has been tearing up the Swedish professional league for a few years now. He’s a young, NHL ready forward that functions like a trade just by calling him up, and he’ll fit in well on the second or third line immediately.

Very good move, IMO. The Flyers just had both of their goalies get hurt, and they’ll be hurt for a few more weeks. The draft picks sent back to Detroit are heavily conditioned; the one pick is a fourth round pick and escalates to a third if Mzarik wins a couple games and the Flyers make the playoffs, and then a second if the Flyers make the Eastern Conference Final (which would obviously be great). The second pick only comes into play if the Flyers resign him, and they have plenty of time to see what they think of him before then.

I’m much more excited about Oskar Lindblom being called up. He should have made the team out of training camp, and has been tearing up the Swedish professional league for a few years now. He’s a young, NHL ready forward that functions like a trade just by calling him up, and he’ll fit in well on the second or third line immediately.
And we found out today why he got called up - Simmonds is out 2-3 weeks with “upper body injury (concussion)”. This team can’t catch a break with the injury bug. Oh well, throw the kids in the fire, and let’s get them ready for when they are expected to do something.

giphy.gif

Flyers win again tonight but the Washington Caps lose to the Lightning!!
Flyers may have another injury to deal with - appears Konecny injured foot blocking a shot. Left on crutches. Who is left? And they keep on winning. 7-0-2 run. Philly teams are 12-0-1 since the Super Bowl.

Reactions: Kmase21 and TheGLOV
Pens definitely need to add an additional center if they want to make a deep run

Jumpin' Jebus, there is no subject which you can't bungle, is there?

The Pens are comfortable with Sheahan centering the 3rd line, and he has given them every reason to be. Slow start to his tenure here? True, but markedly better than Bonino in '15-'16 through roughly March.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT