ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Wrestling Session 4 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

cant wait to hear those 2 iowa clowns tell us how they should have won but got screwed by the refs everyone stalled against them etc etc etc it willl be funny as hell!
Did you see brands go crazy on the other teams medical timeout. He was dancing and yelling with his arm like a clock saying let’s go. Funny because brands has made the medical timeout an art form.

Reactions: danoftw
I assume they will start at 125 tonight so Gable can end by leaving the shoes on the mat …. Anyone know if this is the case?

TIA
I haven't seen it officially but a couple in the know folks are saying this.

He's going to take his shoes off and ESPiN wants a dramatic moment.

LMAO, right? All he did was clinch the most important dual match of the season between the top two teams in the country. LOL.
Same poster has been posting mostly nonsense all tourney - and it’s obvious he blew off both the PSU v Iowa and PSU v tOSU meets.

Here's the math for Session 5:

PSU’s Magic Number = 23.0 to win outright.

Michigan has 4 wrestlers in consi semis (Lewan, Amine, Massa, Parris).
For each of them, the Magic Number could be reduced by as much as 8.0 pts, as follows:
- Finish 3rd: Magic Number reduced by bonus points lost (0.5 to 4.0 pts)
- Finish 4th: Magic Number reduced by 1.0 + bonus points lost
- Finish 5th: Magic Number reduced by 3.0 + bonus points lost
- Finish 6th: Magic Number reduced by 4.0 + bonus points lost

Additionally, PSU has 1 wrestler in consi semis (Kerk). He could cut the Magic Number by as much as 8.0 pts:
- Finish 3rd: Magic Number reduced by 4.0 + bonus points gained (0.5 to 4.0)
- Finish 4th: Magic Number reduced by 3.0 + bonus points gained
- Finish 5th: Magic Number reduced by 1.0 + bonus points gained
- Finish 6th: No change to Magic Number

If Lewan and Parris finish 5th, Amine 4th, Massa 3rd, Kerk 3rd, all with no bonus -- then the Magic Number drops by 27.0 out of a needed 23.0 pts --> PSU clinches tomorrow morning.

IMO that's a little generous toward Michigan. I would pick Hamiti (though he's never faced Lewan). And Kemerer beat Massa this year -- this obviously depends on his shoulder, but it is the first match of the day.
I am glad there are people much smarter than me to do the math here! I cannot figure tournament scoring out. Is every tournament scored the same? I can’t keep track backside advancement points (and bonus points) so I just wait for someone in here to explain it to me like I am 5😁

I am glad there are people much smarter than me to do the math here! I cannot figure tournament scoring out. Is every tournament scored the same? I can’t keep track backside advancement points (and bonus points) so I just wait for someone in here to explain it to me like I am 5😁
If you want some help:

The team score at any point in time includes advancement points earned, bonus points earned and placement points earned.

Placement points earned is based on what place the wrestler would finish if they lost the rest of their matches.

A wrestler that loses in the semifinals and then loses in the consolation semifinals and then loses in the 5th place match takes 6th. A wrestler that wins in the semifinals is guaranteed at least 2nd place. The difference between 2nd and 6th is 6 team points. That plus an advancement point is why each semifinal win is worth 7 team points.

Advancement is worth 1 team point in the championship bracket and 0.5 team points in the wrestlebacks. There is no advancement once you’re in a placement match.

A fall earns 2 bonus points. A TF earns 1.5 bonus points. A major earns 1 bonus point. No matter where.

1st place is 16 team points.
2nd is 12.
3rd is 10.
4th is 9.
5th is 7.
6th is 6.
7th is 4.
8th is 3.

Last edited:
This is a really good guide to tournament scoring:

The only thing it doesn't mention: placement points are awarded live when each minimum placement is achieved -- not at the end when final placement is known.

For example: Penn State's team score already includes 12 pts per finalist, because they've already clinched 2nd. Each finals victory will earn the 4-pt differential (16 for 1st minus 12 for 2nd), plus applicable bonus.

It also includes 6th place points for Kerk, since he cannot finish below that. Those points were added when he won in the quarters, since reaching the semis clinches 6th place.

Hope this helps!

@PSUer1989, yes all college wrestling tourny's are scored the same. See @mcpat and @El-Jefe post for more details on scoring.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Lewan vs Carr - advantage Carr
Amine vs Hamiti - push slight edge Hamiti
Massa vs Kemerer - push
Parris vs Kerkvliet - advantage Kerk

That coukd be a lot of 5/6 matches.

I am thinking if things break correctly...

R.6d7dbac22932ea28acbd0a8710d2fbb1
If you want some help:

The team score at any point in time includes advancement points earned, bonus points earned and placement points earned.

Placement points earned is based on what place the wrestler would finish if they lost the rest of their matches.

A wrestler that loses in the semifinals and then loses in the consolation semifinals and then loses in the 5th place match takes 6th. A wrestler that wins in the semifinals is guaranteed at least 2nd place. The difference between 2nd and 6th is 6 team points. That plus an advancement point is why each semifinal win is worth 7 team points.

Advancement is worth 1 team point in the championship bracket and 0.5 team points in the wrestlebacks. There is no advancement once you’re in a placement match.

A fall earns 2 bonus points. A TF earns 1.5 bonus points. A major earns 1 bonus point. No matter where.

1st place is 16 team points.
2nd is 12.
3rd is 10.
4th is 9.
5th is 7.
6th is 6.
7th is 4.
8th is 3.
Thank you for this. I’m a CPA/CFP and I never could understand all of this. So, to ask a question, you can take 2nd and score more team points than the kid who beat you in the finals if 2nd place kid has 2 Falls and a MD while kid who takes 1st place just wins by decisions?

Reactions: hlstone
Thank you for this. I’m a CPA/CFP and I never could understand all of this. So, to ask a question, you can take 2nd and score more team points than the kid who beat you in the finals if 2nd place kid has 2 Falls and a MD while kid who takes 1st place just wins by decisions?
Yep. It happens every once in a while too

Reactions: mcpat and hlstone
This is a really good guide to tournament scoring:

The only thing it doesn't mention: placement points are awarded live when each minimum placement is achieved -- not at the end when final placement is known.

For example: Penn State's team score already includes 12 pts per finalist, because they've already clinched 2nd. Each finals victory will earn the 4-pt differential (16 for 1st minus 12 for 2nd), plus applicable bonus.

It also includes 6th place points for Kerk, since he cannot finish below that. Those points were added when he won in the quarters, since reaching the semis clinches 6th place.

Hope this helps!
Very much so for me. Thanks for everything you do for this board. Your PA high school stuff was ++.

1st place with no bonus is 20 team points. (16 placement points + 4 advancement points.)

2nd place with no bonus is 16 team points. (12 placement points + 4 advancement points.)

It takes 4 wins to take second. If you score more than 4 bonus points in those 4 wins, you’d out (team) score a champ with no bonus.

So yes - 2 falls and a major on the way to 2nd would out (team) score 1st place with no bonus 21-20.

It’s why the team score typically remains in doubt as long as it does. There are more matches in wrestlebacks and theoretically more chances at coveted bonus points.

Theoretically, Kerk could still collect 4 more bonus points (2 falls), 4 more placement points and 0.5 more advancement points. If he would, he’d outscore a 2nd place finish to Steveson had he been on the other side of the bracket and had his path otherwise been the same except a win by decision in the semifinals.

I lived in the area for 19 years before the Air Force took me away and most of my siblings still live there.
Yeah. I knew you were from the area. Lol. Was pretty cool though you were able to pick out my brand. You’d think it would all taste the same but it doesn’t. Vale wood farms just has the perfect strawberry mix.

Reactions: PAgeologist and Ski
Yeah. I knew you were from the area. Lol. Was pretty cool though you were able to pick out my brand. You’d think it would all taste the same but it doesn’t. Vale wood farms just has the perfect strawberry mix.
Much like wrestling, we know quality when we see it! ;)

Reactions: PAgeologist
ADVERTISEMENT