ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State/Texas comparison since 2012

eilion

Sep 21, 2006
Interesting and well done article for a change and from an outside perspective. Basically says Penn State had every reason to fail since 2012 and Texas had every reason to succeed. But the opposite happened. Among other things concludes Penn States sticks with its players, cares about football a whole lot more and, ahem, has a better culture. Sounds like it could have been written by one of our posters. All that said. Texas is a sleeping giant for sure but just cant' seem to get it together. We'll see what happens with Herman.

http://www.hookemplus.com/story/tal...texas-penn-state-headed-different-directions/

I understand what the writer is saying about Texas having an advantage in recruiting, and he is right. With that being said, I don’t think that people outside the region understand the PSU is the big name school in PA, NJ, MD and NY/NE. The home recruiting turf is much larger for PSU than just PA.

Interesting and well done article for a change and from an outside perspective. Basically says Penn State had every reason to fail since 2012 and Texas had every reason to succeed. But the opposite happened. Among other things concludes Penn States sticks with its players, cares about football a whole lot more and, ahem, has a better culture. Sounds like it could have been written by one of our posters. All that said. Texas is a sleeping giant for sure but just cant' seem to get it together. We'll see what happens with Herman.

http://www.hookemplus.com/story/tal...texas-penn-state-headed-different-directions/
Thanks for the link. Really good read and summary of both programs.

Always love the "what else are they going to do in State College" statement that gets thrown around. Coming from most stuedents who likely grew up in bumble*uck, Texas.

I think one thing the article misses (and something Joe used to say), Texas HS players have a lower ceiling than some others of similar ranking because there talent has been maximized in HS with the year round FB training and redshirting in HS.

Add Northern Virginia to that list, which is about 3.5 hours away. We've struck gold their with Trace and now Slade and Nana from this upcoming class.

I understand what the writer is saying about Texas having an advantage in recruiting, and he is right. With that being said, I don’t think that people outside the region understand the PSU is the big name school in PA, NJ, MD and NY/NE. The home recruiting turf is much larger for PSU than just PA.

Add Northern Virginia to that list, which is about 3.5 hours away. We've struck gold their with Trace and now Slade and Nana from this upcoming class.
Yeah, tip of the hat to Bud Shuster and Interstate 99 ;)

Really, that has helped the drive for recruits and their families coming from parts of Maryland and VA

Reactions: CJLion

Univ of Texas football, helping to keep Austin weird.

Texas has more money than anybody but Harvard- you would think they could hire the right staff to fix their issues.

I appreciate the points that article is making, but good lord it was difficult to read. The writer needs to go back to class and learn how to write with style and/or flow. He listed a bunch of facts but didn't do much discussion of them, threw in a dig that PSU is in the middle of nowhere, and then the article was over. I read a couple of his other articles and they again read like a high school student wrote them.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU
Always love the "what else are they going to do in State College" statement that gets thrown around. Coming from most stuedents who likely grew up in bumble*uck, Texas.

I think one thing the article misses (and something Joe used to say), Texas HS players have a lower ceiling than some others of similar ranking because there talent has been maximized in HS with the year round FB training and redshirting in HS.
The 2nd paragraph is the key that is not emphasized enough. I live right near 2 powerhouses - Westlake (Drew Brees’s HS) and Lake Travis (Baker Mayfield’s HS). They are insanely flush with cash with their own stadiums, top of the line facilities including a practice bubble in LT’s case, top notch coaching from peewees on up that run the same system up through the ranks so these kids are so well-drilled by HS. Couple that with holding back kids for athletic reasons so the majority of football players are 19 as seniors, and many kids practicing on their own year around or at 7 on 7 camps, and you get kids entering college who are way closer to their peak than a city kid like, oh, Marvin Harrison whose Roman Catholic team probably practiced on a weed-choked field with broken bottles on it.

Reactions: bison13 and N&B4PSU

The article says PSU gets fewer than one-third of its recruits from Pennsyltucky.

The article says PSU gets fewer than one-third of its recruits from Pennsyltucky.
Yeah but they don’t see regional recruits as being in state (obviously) when really they are from PSU’s typical recruiting turf.

What a crock of $hit! First, you cast aspersions on this "backward" state. I can tell you've never been to Austin. Then comes your 'lower ceiling' theory. Could it be UT is just whiffing on talent as the reported suggests. Jesus man, get a grip.

Please take this opportunity to remember that many texas athletic supporters were assholes in regards to Penn State in 2012.

Karma.

How many and who? I travel to Texas quite regularly and everyone I spoke with loved Paterno.

Let's not equate some kids on shaggy bevo to Texas fans.

LdN

Reactions: We Are . . .
Univ of Texas football, helping to keep Austin weird.

Make no mistake, Austin is still a liberal island in a sea of conservatism. But the state is changing, particularly the metro areas as more out-of-staters move in seeking jobs. I live in the DFW Metroplex. One need only drive 30 miles to experience the deep South. If you know what I mean.

What a crock of $hit! First, you cast aspersions on this "backward" state. I can tell you've never been to Austin. Then comes your 'lower ceiling' theory. Could it be UT is just whiffing on talent as the reported suggests. Jesus man, get a grip.
Let them hate Cosmos. We’ll just raise a toast in mid-February on a lakeside deck with a Shiner Bock in our hand and chips, pico and guacamole on the table

Reactions: We Are . . .
How many and who? I travel to Texas quite regularly and everyone I spoke with loved Paterno.

Let's not equate some kids on shaggy bevo to Texas fans.

LdN

5,631. I didn't get all of their names.

Obviously people are far more likely to troll online than to one's face. The exception is at games due to strength in numbers and alcohol. We saw a number of texas athletic supporters trolling Penn State online and at games a few years ago. Karma since their program continues to eat shit.

I am not going to continue to debate the virtues of texas athletic supporters with you because I'm sure everyone else reading my post knew exactly where I was coming from.

I appreciate the points that article is making, but good lord it was difficult to read. The writer needs to go back to class and learn how to write with style and/or flow. He listed a bunch of facts but didn't do much discussion of them, threw in a dig that PSU is in the middle of nowhere, and then the article was over. I read a couple of his other articles and they again read like a high school student wrote them.

Some of younz wear your emotions on your sleeves. Alrighty then, would this be a fair characterization. State College is within 100 miles of nothing but within 200 miles of a lot? Also, State College wouldn't be much without the college whereas Austin, being the state capital, has more to offer.

Like it or not, it's not a dig. You know, I seem to remember 'access' being an issue when we joined the Big Ten. Moreover, is it not true Bear Bryant was caught in a traffic jam and called Joe, asking that he 'clear the roads'. Perhaps it's just more hyperbole.

Looks like I hit a nerve. I am sure all the college kids at Texas are too busy enjoying all the cultural activities that Texas has to offer at noon or 3:30 on a Sat. afternoon instead of attending a CFB game.Sounds like an excuse we hear from our brethren in the western part of the state. I know Texas HS games do not draw much, as well.

Most impressive for me was that there was not one mention of Joe or Jerry in the comments section (where mouth-breathers typically congregate).

It took me a few minutes to comprehend this paragraph:

"In addition, any Penn State player who wanted to jump ship and transfer out was allowed to do so without having to sit a season. That’s what Penn State’s leading rusher, pass receiver and point scorer — place kicker Anthony Fera, who ended up at Texas — did."

I thought "damn, I didn't realize Anthony Fera was that good being the leading rusher, pass receiver, AND point scorer."

Say what you want at the backward state thing but the lower ceiling thing is definite something Joe thought. And the facts listed for it are correct. Like most states, in Texas you can not turn 19 before sept 1 (or there abouts) and still be eligible to play. But there is a waiver they can ask for that allows them to play if they have a disability or other issue. Dont think that there aren't 20 year olds on some teams....

PSU benefits in two ways.

PA and some surrounding states have substantial populations and decent football in many areas. So from a numbers standpoint, it's a pretty big regional population to try to tap.

OTOH, NY at 27 is in the bottom half of the states, in area. PA, OH and VA are in the 30s in area. MD and the NE States are in the 40s and NJ is in the bottom 5 as one of the smallest states, along with CONN and DE.

The combination is good for PSU, since substantial populations are within reasonable driving distances.

Last edited:
Reactions: getmyjive11
It took me a few minutes to comprehend this paragraph:

"In addition, any Penn State player who wanted to jump ship and transfer out was allowed to do so without having to sit a season. That’s what Penn State’s leading rusher, pass receiver and point scorer — place kicker Anthony Fera, who ended up at Texas — did."

I thought "damn, I didn't realize Anthony Fera was that good being the leading rusher, pass receiver, AND point scorer."
Ha.

Ironically, I think Fera May have transferred regardless of the sanctions because I believe he had a sick mother at home. He likely would have been granted a waiver and been allowed to play immediately.

Reactions: EPC FAN
Yeah, tip of the hat to Bud Shuster and Interstate 99 ;)

Really, that has helped the drive for recruits and their families coming from parts of Maryland and VA
I have always found it fascinating how many MD & VA license plates I see on game day once I arrive in Altoona. Those Pitt fans who claim that PSU gets bigger crowds because "there is nothing else to do in State College" don't understand that a HUGE percentage of our gameday crowd drives in from metropolitan areas around Pgh, Phil, Erie, Allentown, York, Baltimore, WDC, NYC and others.

Reactions: Madsol and psu00
Right.....but Slade is from Norfolk, southern VA region

Texas beats us on size; but as we all know, size isn't everything.

midwest_0.png

Texas, aka Northern Mexico, is a waste of time. My sentiment is to give it back. The only morally correct thing to do. My friends who lived there complained about enormous cockroaches and tiny tacos. They don't make any decent wine and the women speak with silly accents. The best movie about the place was Porky's. If you complain about the place, they threaten to flood you with tequila soaked enormous cockroaches who open taco stands where they sell tacos for .59 cents because they are so small.
Their best, maybe only, exports culturally were Janis Joplin and Buddy Holly. The second worst movie ever made in the United States was about Texas--a major snoozefest called Giant. Should have been retitled Midget. Rock Hudson, James Dean, Earl Holiman--no wonder Elizabeth Taylor felt so safe.
Even John Wayne chose to die there rather then hang around.
Someone once said all of the world's population could fit inside Texas but hell, they'd rather live in Yemen, Afghanistan and Anarctica. Soon, when my Scotch bottle is finished, I'll dig into their intellectual accomplishments.

Reactions: PS4814
Texas, aka Northern Mexico, is a waste of time. My sentiment is to give it back. The only morally correct thing to do. My friends who lived there complained about enormous cockroaches and tiny tacos. They don't make any decent wine and the women speak with silly accents. The best movie about the place was Porky's. If you complain about the place, they threaten to flood you with tequila soaked enormous cockroaches who open taco stands where they sell tacos for .59 cents because they are so small.
Their best, maybe only, exports culturally were Janis Joplin and Buddy Holly. The second worst movie ever made in the United States was about Texas--a major snoozefest called Giant. Should have been retitled Midget. Rock Hudson, James Dean, Earl Holiman--no wonder Elizabeth Taylor felt so safe.
Someone once said all of the world's population could fit inside Texas but hell, they'd rather live in Yemen, Afghanistan and Anarctica. Soon, when my Scotch bottle is finished, I'll dig into their intellectual accomplishments.
Awesome, please get busy on that scotch!

Great article- thanks for posting!

"The NCAA did what they did in the wake of Sandusky because they wanted to destroy it." From Finebaum... huge understatement.

Love the comparison of undefeated seasons and national titles. About time someone outside the PSU community said "WTF??"

Bottom line: Football matters more at Penn State than it does at Texas. Surprisingly complimentary.

If the writer wanted to further reinforce point about the current performance gap with 2 programs, he could have referenced the game outcomes vs 1 common opponent this year (Maryland).

That reads as well, if not better, than the original article.

:eek:

Porky's took place in Florida.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT